Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy Wolfidays to All

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Happy Wolfidays to All

    Has anyone heard of that famous pack of eight Uratha whose totem takes the shape of a bearded giant draped in red? A spirit of generosity and hunger, of gathering good things and reveling in them with those who are kin and those who have need?

    Who are those eight Uratha, I wonder?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Barbrarilen View Post
    Has anyone heard of that famous pack of eight Uratha whose totem takes the shape of a bearded giant draped in red? A spirit of generosity and hunger, of gathering good things and reveling in them with those who are kin and those who have need?

    Who are those eight Uratha, I wonder?
    We do not speak of the ninth, its senses filled with a bright bloody star of lifelong fraternal torment since its distant childhood.


    Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

    Comment


    • #3
      From what I've read, The vikings used to have cults worshiping wolf spirits who would reward their worshipers around this time of year.

      And according to legend, those born on Christmas would be cursed to become werewolves by god because he was mad that a mortal had the gall to be born on the same day as his son.

      And the wild chirstmas parties that the hounds of god would hold after their battles in Baltic legends... Actually there are a lot of Christmas related werewolf legends now that I think of it.


      Despite the user name I am actually bigender.

      My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

      My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by The young man in the cafe View Post
        From what I've read, The vikings used to have cults worshiping wolf spirits who would reward their worshipers around this time of year.

        And according to legend, those born on Christmas would be cursed to become werewolves by god because he was mad that a mortal had the gall to be born on the same day as his son.

        And the wild chirstmas parties that the hounds of god would hold after their battles in Baltic legends... Actually there are a lot of Christmas related werewolf legends now that I think of it.

        We need a picture of an Uratha wrapped up in tinsel and wrapping material with a lil' bow on top. In wolfy form, of course.

        "I can haz Kibble 'n' Magath now??"


        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sikla Alkis View Post


          We need a picture of an Uratha wrapped up in tinsel and wrapping material with a lil' bow on top. In wolfy form, of course.

          "I can haz Kibble 'n' Magath now??"
          Whoever provides it gets a First Tongue translation of the Christmas carol of their choice? :-)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Barbrarilen View Post

            Whoever provides it gets a First Tongue translation of the Christmas carol of their choice? :-)

            I will deliver if such a picture is made.


            Comment


            • #7
              Actually... it isn't as far fetched as you might think... One of the sources of Santa Claus is Odin, who DID ride out with a lot of wolves. His two hunting wolves most importantly, and the Valkyries were pictured as one of the following: Riding wolves, riding ravens, riding wolves with raven wings, or simply flying with raven wings.

              So there's a lot of werewolf-friendly symbology in old Yule celebrations.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by The young man in the cafe View Post
                From what I've read, The vikings used to have cults worshiping wolf spirits who would reward their worshipers around this time of year.

                And according to legend, those born on Christmas would be cursed to become werewolves by god because he was mad that a mortal had the gall to be born on the same day as his son.

                And the wild chirstmas parties that the hounds of god would hold after their battles in Baltic legends... Actually there are a lot of Christmas related werewolf legends now that I think of it.
                That second one might be gun to mix with the "Hounds of God" legend.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ZealousChristian24 View Post
                  That second one might be gun to mix with the "Hounds of God" legend.
                  It's not Wod related, but I'm working on a novel where I did mix those two legends. Basically, because so many werewolves in my novel's world are born on Christmas (specifically those born to two werewolf parents), the hounds of god don't even bother celebrating birthdays most of the time. The Christmas party is also a communal birthday party for those werewolves born on Christmas.

                  It's worth noting that there's also a Baltic legend about mistletoe (that which people kiss under on Christmas) forcing werewolves back into their human form. I'm not sure how one would fit that legend into the World of Darkness lore (maybe mistletoe is antithetical to luna's energies for some reason).

                  And finally, there are legends saying that wolves spend saint Nicholas day (December 6) in meditation, and won't attack a human even if provoked.
                  In the Wod, I imagine saint Nicholas day would be a day where werewolves's rage leaves them for some reason.
                  Last edited by The young man in the cafe; 12-14-2014, 08:11 PM.


                  Despite the user name I am actually bigender.

                  My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

                  My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    On the first day of Christmas, my packmates gave to me.... A trophy made from my enemies!

                    On the second day of Christmas, my packmates gave to me... Two new daggers

                    On the third day of Christmas, my packmates gave to me... Three fetishes


                    Feel free to continue

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't know about day four, but can I get a second for:
                      "Fiiiiiiiiiive pounds of meat!"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        And a trophy made from my enemies

                        Two New Daggers

                        Three Fetishes

                        Four New Gifts

                        Fiiiiiiiiiive pounds of meat!

                        Six Pups-a-Changing

                        Seven War-Song Howlings

                        Eight Pure-a-Weeping

                        Nine Heads-a-Flying

                        Ten Spirits Binded

                        Eleven Shaman Blessings

                        Twelve Storm Lords Bowing

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Well that was fast on the +1

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            +2 a bit slower

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              "Yuletide gale..."

                              So it is a Germanic holiday for Odin!


                              My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                              LGBT+ in CoD games

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X