If You Could Make A Werewolf Book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If You Could Make A Werewolf Book

The Dark Eras stuff we've voted on aside, if you could spearhead a Werewolf book, what would it be about?

For me: Changing Breed overhaul. Take all the stuff from Changing Breeds, run it through War Against the Pure's systems, and then convert to 2e. Remove any unnecessarily creepy or overbalanced elements (I'm looking at you, sections on relationships and were-elephants).

Agreed on the CB overhaul. My players have always latched onto alternative shifters with a gusto, and judging by the forums, they seem popular as well. I'd guess it's partially it's because of the sheer cool factor of playing a were-hyena or a were-cat or a were-quetzal, partially it's because this is an area with deep mythological and pop-culture roots both, and partially because it resolves the weirdness of playing werewolves in places where there aren't any wolves (pretty much the entire southern hemisphere, say).

Other ideas would include a new Grim Horrors book (one which prominently features Azlu, Beshilu, and Bale Hounds, all strangely missing from the previous antagonist book) or a book on pack dynamics and totems and so forth.

GM of the Walking Shadow Campaigns
    New System and Setting Material

Comment

Forsaken by Time.

Just a little book of Dark Eras for Werewolf.

Revlid wrote:
      Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

Comment

Danse Macabre for Werewolves. Just a big fat book of rules tweaks and GM advice.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

I thought it had a Chronicler's Guide? Or do you mean more than that?

Revlid wrote:
          Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

Comment

A high-power book. Equivalent to Equinox Roads, Imperial Mysteries, and upcoming Thousand Years of Night.
            It'd have unique gifts, sort of like the milestone gifts, and advise on how to make them. Advise on the really deep Shadow. Stuff about how to run encounters with shadow gods... that kind of stuff.

Comment

I want a book completely focused on the shartha. The shartha are one of the coolest villains in the nWoD and I think they could easily carry their own book. Bale Hounds aren't getting any love in the 2nd edition core book from what I've read, so I think that a new book featuring the Balehounds is required. I don't know if information on Balehounds and Wounds can fill a single book, but maybe I'm wrong. What I think is sorely missing from WtF in both editions is a book about humans. Since humans are the preferred prey of the Iron Masters, I feel like it is a necessary addition. This human book could have information about how mundane human action causes problems in the Shadow along with things like human sorcerers who have found ways to summon and bind spirits to do their bidding. As long as it was done better then it was in 1st Edition, a new book on territories could be cool. With the changes coming about how Packs function, I think a book on those could be good too, especially because I've wanted a chapter on Totems in something for a long time.

I don't like the idea of Changing Breeds unless something is done to make them radically different then the Uratha. Then again, I did like the wereroaches and werefish in WAtP, so I'm not 100% against the idea if handled right.

Finally, I need a book on elder werewolves like I need air to breath.

Comment

Man, I can't tell how many times I've posted this:

A book on Pangaea, similar to what Secrets of the Ruined Temple is for Mage?

(No, this wouldn't at all be like Blasphemies, because that book isn't about the Father Wolf myth, it's about divergent faiths and other sets of belief).

What I'd expect to see in that book would be:

1) a chapter on the Father Wolf myth itself, including lots of story hooks and advice on how to use the myth in the context of a modern game.

2) a crunchy chapter, including various beasties, both antagonists and possible allies, possibly dating back to Pangaea; as well as fetishes and gifts, Pangaea-style.

3) a short section on the attempts of the Uratha - both Forsaken and Pure - to bring back the glory of Pangaea into the world, how these attempts go wrong and how to create stories based on them.

4) Possibly a short section on historical games set in Pangaea or, at least, in prehistoric times.

Comment

Once more for balanced Changing Breeds - the setting in the books had it merit, just some mechanical hiccups are too much for most. The fan developed Old Ones Chronicles had theme of "Evolution", and it would be better thing for the modern animal shapeshifters theme than "we must save a Nature" - even if Evolution somehow encapsulate the later also.

Also Bale Hounds book, as their are my main antagonists, in place of Pure. I'm very sad they will be cut out in 2ed corebook. Inteeresting would be if Vice system is open, maybe we will see some new hierarchies of Maeljins?
                  Last edited by wyrdhamster; 02-21-2015, 01:09 PM.

LGBT+ in CoD games
                  Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
                  Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
                  Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
                  My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Comment

Changing Breeds isn't even a Werewolf line book

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer: Forsaken & Awakening 2nd Edition / The Pack / Dark Eras 1 & 2 / The Contagion Chronicle / Idigam Anthology / Night Horrors: Nameless & Accursed and Shunned by the Moon / Trinity Aeon / Aeon Aexpansion / And more besides...

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
                      Changing Breeds isn't even a Werewolf line book

True, but there are so many directions it could go that would allow it to be brought into the Werewolf line. Some of the mechanics seem copy-pasted, with little alternation, from WTF.

Comment

I'd want to write something on the Ghost Wolves, tribeless, impure and in a world that hunts them. Just so much potential for awesome as it is the only "tribe" that really hasn't been explored in any great detail. Alternatively, I think a book of mechanical fluff, like how the senses would function post-change and other minor, overlooked details to add to the Uratha immersion.

Comment

Originally posted by Seidmadr View Post
                          A high-power book. Equivalent to Equinox Roads, Imperial Mysteries, and upcoming Thousand Years of Night.
                          It'd have unique gifts, sort of like the milestone gifts, and advise on how to make them. Advise on the really deep Shadow. Stuff about how to run encounters with shadow gods... that kind of stuff.
                          This, pretty much this.

Comment

Originally posted by Seidmadr View Post
                            I third this notion.

Comment

Aw man a lot of good ideas here, I feel I have to be unique but I'll have to support the ideas I like too.

Honestly, I don't like changing breeds. The ones in the back of the War Against the Pure book are fine, and the ones in Skinchangers, but I just like the idea of the Uratha being unique, and not just the most well-known of a large family. That said, I really like the shartha. So I'd love an opportunity to expand on them, creating more and fleshing out existing ones. The fungus host is a nice idea, but fungi is so weird it deserves some more depth than 'You kill it, but it comes back.' Not that I didn't like them, just I thought they should have more.

A book on 'elder' Uratha would be cool too. In first edition it just seemed like you became more of a murderer. I think, tying in to describing various worthies of the Uratha race, from Forsaken to Pure and Bale Hound and even those who eschewed those tribes entirely, it should tell us things they have done. Not just beating particular opponents, but things that your character could set as a long term aspiration, whether it's building a protectorate or forming a mot or exploring the deep shadow and finding out lost secrets of the Uratha's past. We know they become bigger and badder wolves, but is it all focused on the hunt?

I don't think Ancient Mysteries did well but I think I'd prefer something like that to a werewolf-only dark era type book. It would be really interesting to see different points in the history of the Uratha. Maybe once there was another tribe that almost managed to overshadow the Forsaken and the Pure, entire gifts that were lost as concepts disappeared but could still be found by the dogged, or a 10th Maeljin or one of the hosts managed to put all the shards together and Something happened. The book ended up being more like, old pieces of history you could use in your present-day stories than ways to play historical periods.
                              Last edited by nofather; 02-21-2015, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X