No announcement yet.

New Idigam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok. This guy got even more awesome, possible idigam zombie apocalypse? That's cool. And the name turned even better. (The Swedish term for some of those is Gånggrift - Gate-grave or Path-grave)

Also, Forge Fastness... A similar ability is pretty common among rank 6+ entities in the Shadow, right? Creating entire realms for themselves in the deep shadow, and so on.

Comment

L'Operateur
      A recent escapee from its lunar prison, the idigam known as L'Operateur (the Operator) stole away from the Warden Moon's grasp down the web of transmissions that now coccoons the Earth. Frantically dancing from satellite to satellite, the Operator finally crashed down in Paris; a Twilight meteor of madness that came to rest atop one of the towering skyscrapers of La Defense. Overwhelmed by the sheer, boiling font of Essence after long aeons spent singing to the void on the barren moonscape, the idigam was unable to resist the pressure to Coalesce. It forged itself anew into an entity of sky and information, a data angel with wings of lightning and innumerable talons of code and programming, and set about carving itself a new domain to answer the question that now presses into its mind, needing to find an answer amidst the swirling datastreams of the world.

There's a tower in La Defense where the top few floors barely exist any more. Oh, they're physically real, and packed with servers, mad configurations of machinery and electrics, great bundled cables of wiring and connections all worming up to the antennae and transmittors that stud the skyscraper's crown. These days, though, there are all sorts of other levels of existence - paper trails, administration, and so forth - and the idigam's lair only exists in those formats where and when it suits the Operator. There's no particular company named as the owner of the floors in question, apart from when one needs to exist to deflect any suspicions or investigations. There's a nebulous cloud of vague, innocuous accountancy that creates a simulacrum of legitimate activity. The data angel's servers registered nowhere and with no-one, and yet its reach into the wider world of data is nearly unparalleled. No-one works there. Set foot in the Operator's lair and, while the air is thick with tension and power, not a single breath stirs. Enslaved spirits tend to the Operator's needs, using their Influences as needed.

The Operator wishes to reach everywhere and be everywhere. It is at home amidst streams of code, the chatter of electrical pulses, the whirlpool of ideas and thoughts that dance back and forth through the air at humanity's command. It breaks open servers just to see what lies within; listens to the jabbering of innumerable phone lines and sifts inspiration from them; watches hungrily from CCTV cameras as telephone engineers lay down new cable lines. It is not unstoppable - yet - but the idigam is alarmingly capable of cracking information security and remotely accessing electrical and mechanical devices. The mad being believes that there is an answer to what it must become hidden in the code of the world, a conundrum that constantly boils out of humanity's minds and into the datasphere that it must pick apart. Clues are hidden in a thousand servers; secrets nestle in seemingly irrelevant programmes. As it learns, so the idigam begins to rewrite itself, a data angel mutilating its own spiritual being in order to transcend again and become something more.

It hates werewolves, of course - they and their forebears are responsible for its aeons-long imprisonment - but the Operator is mad, not stupid. Werewolves can be useful, too. With the right phonecalls to the right places, the right secrets in the right ears, it can wield them for its own designs and without them ever realising that the strange voice on the other end of the line is one of the idigam. The Operator also has no love for the slumbering High Cromlech, and the efforts of the Zero Point Protectorate that are unknowingly preventing the High Cromlech from waking up mean that they must be supported in their efforts for now. Still, if it can set up the occasional fatality, pick off the occasional foolish lone wolf, that's just the price of doing business.

The Operator has an alarming level of awareness of supernatural creatures and forces in Paris, and pinpoints those that it believes it can manipulate with its mysterious emails and telephone calls, drip-feeding them information to guide them into the actions it desires. Many supernatural communities in the city are now aware that a mysterious 'Operator' is at work, and unsurprisingly most of them don't trust it. The Operator has handed buried old secrets to rival factions and led a few victims astray - but its unasked-for aid also often proves beneficial and significant. No-one is sure how the Operator possesses such deep knowledge of the goings-on of the creatures of the city, but the most savvy are figuring out that it must use technology to do so. Paranoia about CCTV, internet security and the like is a healthy reaction to realising the scope of what the Operator may be able to do.

When it discovers data it cannot break into or access, the Operator tries to arrange for this to change - it might fund the building of a new cable connection, send unwitting agents in to acquire it or attempt to personally breach any protection. It mainly hunts for the efforts of programmers, coders and IT technicians so that it can sift through their work in search for pieces of the puzzle that it wants to assemble. Sometimes, when people realise there is a predatory presence hacking their servers or marauding the datasphere, they try and fight back; since these are mostly normal humans working in IT and woefully unprepared for a deadly elder horror (as opposed to script kiddies or whatever else they think is at work), they're easy prey. The lucky end up with their hard drives wiped and back the hell off; the unlucky end up murdered in an alley by thugs who received an apparent text from their boss to do some geek over for not paying protection, or get snatched by spirits. Particularly prized coders and programmers might get snatched anyway, dragged to the idigam's nest for it to pick them apart, to drive its tongues into their mind and search for the spark that gives them their brilliance.

Recently, the Operator has started taking a new approach. It is still young to this fresh, changed world and to humanity, and is rapidly learning how best to manipulate and control. It has begun to recruit unwitting victims through simply posing as an online company that will pay them to undertake coding or other related tasks. Those who sign up do get paid, though they work from home and never see nor talk to any actual members of their supposed employer. They spend long hours rattling through data, feeding the idigam through occult patterns and mechanisms that it has lodged into the processes they use. A few realise something is strange, and begin to see the patterns in the code or find that the work is somehow tapping into something deeper within them. The Operator takes notice of these ones. If they're talented, it makes them an offer, a devil's bargain of power or wealth or talent or whatever might work as a lever in return for them visiting its lair. If they do so, it turns them into Data-Claimed. Any of its data-farm workers who catch its attention and refuse its offer, well, that's a job for one of the newly-minted Claimed to correct.

The Operator's presence is a threat on all manner of levels - cracking open government databases, stealing valuable code, murdering data workers and the like are all the most minor manifestations of its menace. It has started to Claim portions of the datasphere itself, writing its own spiritually imbued code that it then unleashes as viruses into the world. Some of these spiritual spawn go rogue, utterly insane fragments of artificial intelligence with a tendency towards the homicidal. Even if under the Operator's own control, a spirit Claiming any of the world's major long-range armaments facilities and putting them under the authority of an idigam would be disastrous. It's learning how to Claim people through the technology they use, too. Worse still, the aeons of singing to the void have done something to the Operator. Its growing network of power is gathering more antennae to its grasp, reaching out to radar dishes, and having Claimed build strange new altars of data and transmission, all pointing at the sky.

The Operator is building a vast emitter, one that will use all of Paris as its medium, and that will sing out a new and grand message to the void. But what is it that lies in the cold, black dark beyond the Warden Moon's patrol that the data angel wishes to call to?

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer & Developer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

I love the Operator! As just a thought(you probably have something much better in mind), Idigam are all the children of Luna and something else, right? Maybe the Operator is trying to get "Daddy"(or "Mommy"; Luna is flexible) to come and visit?

Comment

I'm really liking the Operator, too. A nice variation here, with the High Cromlech as a sort of idigam-as-place, and Operator as an idigam-as-digital-entity. I especially like how the Operator's sort of becoming a company.

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
            L'Operateur

The Operator has an alarming level of awareness of supernatural creatures and forces in Paris, and pinpoints those that it believes it can manipulate with its mysterious emails and telephone calls, drip-feeding them information to guide them into the actions it desires. Many supernatural communities in the city are now aware that a mysterious 'Operator' is at work, and unsurprisingly most of them don't trust it. The Operator has handed buried old secrets to rival factions and led a few victims astray - but its unasked-for aid also often proves beneficial and significant. No-one is sure how the Operator possesses such deep knowledge of the goings-on of the creatures of the city, but the most savvy are figuring out that it must use technology to do so. Paranoia about CCTV, internet security and the like is a healthy reaction to realising the scope of what the Operator may be able to do.
            As both a WtF and MtAw fan, I'm certainly curious how the more technologically-minded Obrimos mages in the region feel about and are dealing with the Operator.

If there ever was a reason for some mages and werewolves, particular Iron Masters, to join forces, this Idigam would definitely qualify.

Comment

Now picture the Unchained in Paris, noticing spiritual emanations that behave like infrastructure but... without any visible gears standing out before their otherwise enlightened gazes.

Comment

I think the Operator scares me more than the High Cromlech in some ways. It's so pervasive and manipulative.

Revlid wrote:
                Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

Comment

Originally posted by ZealousChristian24 View Post
                  I love the Operator! As just a thought(you probably have something much better in mind), Idigam are all the children of Luna and something else, right? Maybe the Operator is trying to get "Daddy"(or "Mommy"; Luna is flexible) to come and visit?
                  There's quite a few options for what idigam are in the new Werewolf corebook

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

There's quite a few options for what idigam are in the new Werewolf corebook
                    Sorry! I haven't gotten 2E yet(was waiting for the errata'd version), so when I heard people talking about them I didn't know there were other options. Again, sorry!

Comment

L'Operateur
                      Rank 4
                      Attributes: Power 11 Finesse 12 Resistance 10
                      Willpower: 10 Essence: 50 Initiative: 22
                      Defence: 11 Speed: 33 Size: 9
                      Corpus: 19 Armour: 0
                      Influences: Data 4, Electricity 2, Wind 2
                      Numina: Blast, Hallucination, Left-Handed Spanner, Regenerate, Speed, 4 Numina slots exchanged for Influence dots
                      Manifestations: Gauntlet Breach, Image, Materialise, Shadow Gateway, Twilight Form
                      Essence Shaping: Data Fusion*, Forge Claimed, Forge Herald, Forge Spawn, Spirit Manipulation
                      Dread Powers: Call Void Spirit, Infinite Weave*, Puppet Networks*, Shifting, Spirit Dominion, Spirit Interrogation
                      Ban: The Operator must receive and respond to any message directly addressed to it that is delivered from orbit, whether physical or data.
                      Bane: Rainwater gathered from the highest skyscraper in La Defense.

New Powers:
                      Essence Shaping - Data Fusion: At a cost of 5 Essence per Rank of the target, the Operator can fuse itself or a spirit with some electronic data. This Fetters the target to the data and also links them to any server or hardware that hosts a copy of the data; it costs 1 Essence for the target to move between its Fettered data. The target is only Fettered to up to its Rank in copies of the data, but it may ignore earlier copies in favour of later ones that have ended up where it desires to go.

Dread Power - Infinite Weave:The Operator possesses supernatural power over data and communications. It can tap into any networked device that it can perceive (including perceiving through other networked devices). Its capabilities also allow it to cause the same effects as the Garble, Command Artifice and Shutdown Facets from the Gift of Technology, but the Operator rolls Power + Finesse as its dice pool where necessary. The Operator can handle up to 33 different activities through networks and devices at the same time via remote networks as long as it itself does not need to take any physical actions; it might be observing through various surveillance cameras across the city, hacking a dozen networks and various other things all simultaneously.

Dread Power - Puppet Networks: At a cost of 1 Essence per dot, the Operator can grant itself various social Merits for short periods - Allies, Resources and the like - to a maximum of 4 dots through its puppet networks at any given moment. Most of the companies, services and organisations that end up roped in to do the Operator's bidding are completely unaware of the idigam's involvement and, indeed, that there is anything untoward at all; it works through false front companies, carefully inserted data packets and spoofed phone calls to achieve its aims. When called on to roll a dice pool as part of such a merit, the Operator uses its Power for the dice pool.

Comment

I'm quite curious to how the Operator would act if it came into contact with the God-Machine, or Unchained, for that matter.

That said, it is yet another extremely interesting villain! Well done!

Comment

I kinda feel L'Operateur could use an Envoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Ephsy View Post
                            I kinda feel L'Operateur could use an Envoy...
                            That's why it has the Forge Herald power

Comment

That's why it has the Forge Herald power
                              Perfect, missed it, thinking it should be a Dread Power.

Comment

So here's something I've been working on lately and tweaking with the help of some people in my group (they know who they are!)

The Seeker

The Seeker is an idigam that wishes to become not so.

Long ago, it was trapped on the moon, and driven into gnawing frustration by its time there. When the humans came to the moon, it hurried back to Earth with its brethren. But once there, finally free, the idigam found it was unsatisfied. It rampaged for a time, never staying in one spot for long. But it refused to coalesce, and even more strongly than other idigam, refused to remain in the same form. It rebelled against its own unchanging yet stagnant nature, looking for something that it did not know.

Until one day, it saw something that drew its curiosity. It felt spiritual power fester, then collapse on itself. A light fell from the sky in a hail of Essence, and the idigam pursued that falling star to where it crashed. What it found there was confusing at first - for it looked like just any fleshy being, but it had arrived in a shower of power. The idigam pierced into its mind, nearly as alien as its own, with the intent to know more and it was awed. For inside, it found a will where before there had been none. Inside, it found the spark of something new, beggining to integrate itself into a world it was no longer connected to.

In burning inspiration, the idigam that had resisted both change and stabilization coalesced among the still fizzling bones of a fallen angel.

The Seeker is fascinated by change, and independence. Always moving, it looks for places where it may observe the birth - metaphysical or literal - of something new or a fundamental event that alters a being deeply enough that it drives their existence from then on. It seeks the moments when one thing becomes another or becomes greater than it was before by its own initiative. It wants to see a revelation, observe any event in which a being grows independent of something it was previously leashed to, and turns all the greater for that.

The idigam observes these moments because it wants to understand. It wants to learn what causes one, determine what impulse lights the fuse and pulls the trigger on such a massive, defining instant. It wishes to know how it happens and what it can give.

The Seeker is obsessed with finding its very own First Movement. It wants to become more than an idigam. It wants to experience a sensation that changes the very core of its being. For it, being an idigam is to be bound, and so it pursues self-actualization as something free from the characteristics of the rest of its kind, to enlighten itself to a whole new paradigm of being.

The Seeker is contradictory. It disliked being bound by form, but had even greater distaste for its protean nature. Now it seeks something beyond itself the same way other idigam seem to - but to overcome its very identity as one. If what it looks for will make it less powerful, it is inconsequential. No change could possibly be lesser if it gave it freedom.

The idigam bears no grudge to the Uratha. Though they may remind it of Urfarah and how the great spirit cast it into lunar exile and imprisonment, it no longer looks upon the past bitterly. For it is convinced that period of forced restraint was what led it to find its current objective. Hence, it does not look upon the heirs of Father Wolf, or even Luna and her servants, with any particular scorn. In fact, it is interested in Uratha and their Wolf-Blooded relatives as examples.

The methods employed by the Seeker are usually subtle. It watches from a far, looking into situations that seem a step away from imploding into something. It produces many Spawn and subverts loci, extending its reach and ease of travel, just so it won't miss anything. It requires a network that can grasp far and meticulously to find events that may interest it, as such changes in most mortals begin with mental or psychological details that can easily go unnoticed. Changes that result in the birth of a supernatural being are easier to find. The Seeker is sensitive to the signs that usually precede the awakening of a being into its heritage, and is supremely curious in what causes the timing of these events, as well as the way they affect the thinking of those that undergo them.

The Seeker stalks those in which it predicts a great change or awakening will soon happen. It follows their every movement with precision and incensed curiosity. The idigam does not tend to meddle too strongly out of fear it will contaminate the dawn of a new perspective to learn from with its enthusiasm; but it will push and nudge where it sees opportunity constrained by obstacles. It helps these things happen, and will not allow others to violate them.

Humans are the starting point to the majority of the Seeker's focus. Many supernaturals, the Uratha included, come from the mortal herd, and theirs are the simplest defining changes to identify. Because of this it primarily concerns itself with those who are existences beyond mortals, or are soon to become such. In no way does this mean it will not find regular humans worthy of observing, however. It also monitors spirit ecology closely, but spirits are by their nature limited by an entirely different set of rules than what you would find in the world of flesh. For this very reason it has all the more interest in one that manages to violate that essential bondage or betray itself to survive, as are magath that willingly become so; but such cases are rare.

The Unchained are the greatest targets of its attention. But they are hard to find, and even harder to obtain reliable information from, so often times the idigam relies on the alternative. It uncovers Infrastructure and either interferes with it or observes it from afar while it identifies its central pieces - so it may reach the Angels assigned there. Directly disrupting Infrastructure and the tasks of Angels is a sure-fire way to draw unneeded attention from their guiding demiurge, so here especially it acts with subtlety. It looks for cracks that already exist, and sometimes questions an Angel in disguise about the subject, but rarely goes beyond that. It knows that doubt is where everything begins, so the moment its subject begins to wonder it only needs to wait and see.

Some Mages collude with spirits for information, though they lack the same perspective the Uratha, in particular the Ithaeur, possess about their affairs. The Seeker can pass for a regular spirit, but given time werewolves will know better. Mages (and other beings) who foster communication with the Shadow don't always have that clarity, and treat it as they would any ordinary spirit. The Seeker is more than glad to cooperate with them - in a fair exchange of information.

Vampires, on the other hand, are of the least interest to the Seeker. Their transformation is brought about by outside inputs so it hardly pays the blood suckers much more attention than it does to ordinary humans. What draws the idigam to kindred is how they can change when trapped in the stagnancy of death. Those vampires that can alter the very nature of their lifeless form particularly spur its curiosity.

The Seeker has never met a Created to date.

The idigam doesn't like fighting. It looks at its kin, who come into violent conflict with the Uratha, and finds itself in distaste of that outcome. It looks at that conclusion as nothing more than another chain it must not allow itself to be bound by. If werewolves approach it violently, it will attempt to run, all the while questioning their actions - are they no more prisoners to the conflict between idigam and uratha than it is? If a pack comes to the Seeker diplomatically, pronouncing the request to leave their territory, it will often comply in exchange for the pack's stories and perspectives on the First Change. When it refuses to simply depart, it is because it is already enraptured in the observation of what it considers a truly fascinating specimen of what it seeks. And it will go beyond what it usually does to continue, until it has learnt enough.

The Seeker is rarely met directly. It does not need to be there in person to watch. One will usually encounter one of its Spawn, or perhaps its Herald, first. They are its eyes and ears and sometimes its hands and tools, or its mouthpieces. It does not create servants like Empty Wolves, or forcefully make Claimed. The Seeker dislikes enslaving other beings to its will or forcefully changing things on such a meaningful level. That kind of transformation is pointless if it comes about from anywhere but within. The sole exception it used to make to these rules was ghosts, bound by stagnancy as they are. Early on in its time as a Coalesced, it grew tired of them, until it found Sin-Eaters.

The Seeker is very much aware its personal transformation has already begun. It was sparked by witnessing a fall from heaven. It was a nudge that brought to its attention the need to change. But did not change it. Not in the way that it wants. That's why it seeks. It wants, needs more than a nudge. So it has sought, it seeks, and it will seek. Until something turns that Nudge into a Movement. It obsesses over all cases, for in each one might lie the catalyst it needs, the final piece to reverse-engineering that fundamental reaction. In every tiniest detail it might find what it wants. And it would do well to not miss it.

Comment

Working...
                                X