New Idigam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YeOfLittleFaith View Post
    I like Apep. It has personality, and a dang awesome backstory and relation to Irem, and it's a scary mofo. Good job.
    Thanks.
    XD
    His backstory was LostLight's work, while it was me and Arcanist who debated on the stats it possesses.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Anyone have suggestions for Apep's Ban and Bane?

Still stumped on the former, but one of the original ideas we had for a Bane was that items crafted (mostly) from Pyropus might be the only things that can badly harm him.

There's some reasoning for it. Pyropus is an Iremite creation, and bronze (which it is derived from) is one of several materials often associated with the Sun. It could also symbolize the concept of civilization, which is in a sense opposed to the chaos Apep (and all idigam) represent.
      Last edited by Deionscribe; 01-31-2016, 12:26 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Man, I don't know how I've missed this thread until now, but it is awesome! Chris, thank you for taking your time to write these up! L'Operator is particularly cool for me, since I'd already posited that the Idigam may be able to escape the Moon via satellite, and this kinda implies that there could be spirits associated with those probes too. Now I have to wonder what would happen if a spirit from beyond Luna looked towards the bubbling pools of Essence on Earth and then saw the spirit nearby streaming data back to it...

Anyhow, I have a couple of ideas that I may add.

Patreon | He/His Pronouns | Currently writing: Tome of the Pentacle (OPP), The Hedge (OPP)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
          Anyone have suggestions for Apep's Ban and Bane?

Still stumped on the former, but one of the original ideas we had for a Bane was that items crafted (mostly) from Pyropus might be the only things that can badly harm him.

There's some reasoning for it. Pyropus is an Iremite creation, and bronze (which it is derived from) is one of several materials often associated with the Sun. It could also symbolize the concept of civilization, which is in a sense opposed to the chaos Apep (and all idigam) represent.
          Apep's Ban could have something to do with its lazyness. Unless X criteria or Y threat are present, Apep must send someone else to do the job. Your idea for a Bane is a good start, but this is a Rank 6 entity we're talking about. It should be epic in the true sense of the word, like a specific Iremite artifact of Pyropus that multiple civilizations have waged wars to acquire.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

I just remembered- since Apep is mostly a First Turn antagonist, didn't the Arisen bring King Scorpion's weapons and armour into play? Those arms and armour were impossibly powerful Relics, quite possibly war regalia of the Shan'iatu themselves, contained within an equally powerful Relic vault.

Seems like a suitably epic Bane to me. In terms of Ban, I'm looking at the Book of Spirits for ideas on ritualistic and 'magical' Bans.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Originally posted by GottaGoFeast View Post
              Apep's Ban could have something to do with its lazyness. Unless X criteria or Y threat are present, Apep must send someone else to do the job. Your idea for a Bane is a good start, but this is a Rank 6 entity we're talking about. It should be epic in the true sense of the word, like a specific Iremite artifact of Pyropus that multiple civilizations have waged wars to acquire.
              Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
              I just remembered- since Apep is mostly a First Turn antagonist, didn't the Arisen bring King Scorpion's weapons and armour into play? Those arms and armour were impossibly powerful Relics, quite possibly war regalia of the Shan'iatu themselves, contained within an equally powerful Relic vault.

Seems like a suitably epic Bane to me. In terms of Ban, I'm looking at the Book of Spirits for ideas on ritualistic and 'magical' Bans.
              If they really are regalia of the Shan'iatu, they would certainly be fitting 'natural' Banes for Apep. No wonder he couldn't have been stopped the first time until the Nibiru bound him with their ritual.

EDIT:
              Added your suggested Bane to the idigam's write-up, Arcanist. Now, as for a Ban, how about a linguistic one? Something involving Iremite Egyptian? Or perhaps something that ties into the idigam's antagonistic relationship with the sun?
              Last edited by Deionscribe; 02-02-2016, 10:44 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by GottaGoFeast View Post
                Apep's Ban could have something to do with its lazyness. Unless X criteria or Y threat are present, Apep must send someone else to do the job.
                Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
                In terms of Ban, I'm looking at the Book of Spirits for ideas on ritualistic and 'magical' Bans.
                Hey! How about something like this section of the description you wrote, Arcanist?

But beneath the laziness and rage lies something deeper set, something that has held true since he Coalesced. He desires to feel the exquisite taste of the terror of an entire city as it is destroyed, he wants to feast upon the souls of the dead and the dying, he wants to scour the earth until that settlement has not a memory of it left on the face of Geb. He remembers the fall of the City of Pillars, and he wants to feast on the complex flavour of Essence such an event will provide.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                Age of Azar
                The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Okay, sort and sweet, fun hopefully you'll enjoy, and your Forsaken and Unchained will hate me.

The Oil

When the Moon-bound were locked away on Luna, precious few of the Idigam remained behind in the Shadow. Those that did fled before the jaws of the Great Hunter, either bidding in the depths of the earth or forming covenants with the newly ascendant race of humanity. While even the meekest of the Idigam were mighty and fearsome spirits Urfarah had humbled them.

One of the weakest remaining Idigam, still uncoalesced, sought refuge in the light of a campfire on the Kacchi Plains. It could have gone and hidden, but it sensed power and Essence among these people. It chose to approach them, to strike a bargain, in hopes of becoming an alpha amongst the spirits.

It chose poorly.

The people that it met encountered say the Idigam as a holy messenger from the Mother Goddess and Fire God. They were thrilled to have a new spirit guardian and danced the old rites in its honour. They feasted as lavishly as they could with the simple food that they had, their sweat mixed with the dirt and grass from the dancing, debauchery, and ecstasy. All of this somehow generating enough Essence for the Earth-Bound to feed as well.

As the people celebrated their new envoy, their high priest retrieved the holy relic entrusted to them. At the height of the festivities, she plunged the blessed black gear into the heart of the manifested Idigim. The sudden assault didn't harm the spirit, but the priest hadn't meant it to. She intended to do it the greatest honour she could, granting it extra power, straight from the universal god. Instead, the Idigam was suborned into the God-Machine'a Infrastructure.

The Idigam, now known as The Oil for the hydrocarbon tears that stream from its eyes whenever it takes a remotely sane form, is still out there today, thousands of years later. It serves the God-Machine as a mobile Essence collector, and is crucial to maintaining areas where many angels are active at once. It is always accompanied by its cult, the Disciples of the Black Gear and a hand full of defender angels, but it longs to be its own master once again. In the process of using the Idigam to feed its angels, God-Machine has stripped The Oil of most of its Rank and power. Should The Oil ever find away to break the gear's hold on it, it has the capability not only regain that lost Rank, but to Coalesce into a new master for every angel that has ever soaked in its tainted Essence.

Patreon | He/His Pronouns | Currently writing: Tome of the Pentacle (OPP), The Hedge (OPP)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                    Okay, sort and sweet, fun hopefully you'll enjoy, and your Forsaken and Unchained will hate me.
                    Dang.

Just curious, though. What Rank would this idigam be?

"My Homebrew Hub"
                    Age of Azar
                    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Dang.

Just curious, though. What Rank would this idigam be?
                      I actually conceived The Oil as an experiment to see if I could drop the Idigam's rank lower than normal but still have it have it come off as an Idigam. I've got it written up as a Rank 1 Formless with a couple of special rules. I'm also writing up versions of it as a Rank 2 and a Rank 5 Coalesced, which are both friggin terrifying, IMO.

Comment

The Oil would make a terrifying enemy or wild card in a campaign where either splat (or both) gets involved with greater plans involving it.

Comment

Originally posted by YeOfLittleFaith View Post
                          The Oil would make a terrifying enemy or wild card in a campaign where either splat (or both) gets involved with greater plans involving it.
                          Yeah, I pity the Saboteur that thinks trying to release or kill the Idigam is a good idea. It may hurt the GM a bit, but there will be hell to pay for it. I think an interesting plot hook would be if a pack tried to convince the Disciples of the Black Gear to let them study the Idigam to learn more about it and its cousins. Probably won't backfire as spectacularly... but the thing is far from tame, and very, very nasty, even at low rank.

Inshallah I can post stats tomorrow.
                          Last edited by Second Chances; 02-08-2016, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                            Yeah, I pity the Saboteur that thinks trying to release or kill the Idigam is a good idea. It may hurt the GM a bit, but there will be hell to pay for it. I think an interesting plot hook would be if a pack tried to convince the Disciples of the Black Gear to let them study the Idigam to learn more about it and its cousins. Probably won't backfire as spectacularly... but the thing is far from tame, and very, very nasty, even at low rank.

Inshallah I can post stats tomorrow.
                            Emphasis on a bit, what would most likely happen the G-M would deploy a hunter-angel that is capable of exploiting it's Ban and Bane, or is effective against spirits in general, either recapturing it or just killing it.

Comment

Does anyone have ideas on Apep's Ban? It's still a blank at his/her/its entry.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                              Age of Azar
                              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Korogra View Post

Emphasis on a bit, what would most likely happen the G-M would deploy a hunter-angel that is capable of exploiting it's Ban and Bane, or is effective against spirits in general, either recapturing it or just killing it.
                                Funny thing... That's probably the least effective means of going after the Oil.

Comment

Working...
                                X