Milestone Gifts in 2e

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milestone Gifts in 2e

Now, I know that some people want these; they're cool (in concept, at least), and can lend distinctiveness to a character (not just everyone can pick up The Destroyer's Jaws or Absolute Authority.)

So here's how I would do it:

There are two new Shadow Gifts; the Gift of the Auspice and the Gift of the Tribe. You may only learn the Facet corresponding to your Tribe or Auspice; additionally, these Gifts are not for lesser wolves. You see, these Gifts may only be unlocked if your appropriate Renown is at four dots; additionally, the Facets cannot be purchased by experience, only unlocked through increasing your Renown.

But what if your Tribe and Auspice Renowns are the same? Then you need to perform two acts of great Renown, each of which must be enough to take you from Renown 4 to Renown 5. Upon completing the second one, you unlock the Facet even though you didn't actually gain another dot of Renown.

Gift of the Tribe
    Backstage Synchronicity (Cunning; Iron Masters Only)
    A good plan is hard to come by... unless everything falls into place. Then it is as easy as one two three...
    Cost: 5 Essence
    Duration: Special
    Action: Reflexive
    This Gift may only be activated when drafting a plan that would win at least one member a dot of Renown. Upon activation, their Essence layers itself into every pack member involved in the execution of that plan, granting them an eerily perfect coordination that is practically telepathy. Until the plan is executed in its completion, is rendered impossible, or is abandoned, any teamwork action that helps another member of the "network" fulfil their part of the plan receives a bonus equal to the Iron Master's Cunning, and they may communicate complex concepts with each-other with nothing more than a twitch of an eye or a grunt.
    As an added benefit, the plan is safe from accidental sabotage; while intentional efforts to derail it are unaffected, accidents and plain bad luck never prevent the pursuit of the plan.
    Of course, this synchronicity has a drawback; if any member of the network falls to Basu-Im, every other member of the network has to roll to avoid entering Death Rage as if they were present. If they wouldn't normally have to roll, they instead gain the Berserk condition.

Jaws of the Destroyer (Glory; Blood Talons Only)
    Fenris-Ur recognizes the true warriors, and bestows this Gift upon them.
    Cost: 1 Essence
    Duration: 1 Scene
    Action: Reflexive
    Upon activating this Facet, the Blood Talon's jaws distend into a vast muzzle of terrifying fangs and a gullet as deep as the void. Any damage they deal with their bite while this Facet is active is Aggravated and cannot be downgraded. In addition, anything that has their rightmost Health Level filled by damage from their bite suffers the You Are Fucking Dead tilt.
    If the Blood Talon is in Basu-Im, this Facet costs no Essence to use and the Uratha will use it automatically.

You Are Fucking Dead [Tilt]
    Congratulations, you're fucking dead. You don't leave a Ghost, and anything that can interrogate your corpse or dig through your body's memories gets nothing but incoherent screaming.
    If you're an Ephemeral Being and still had Essence in your pool, your Essence pool is immediately reduced to 0 and you're dead. Not coming back.
    If you actually have the supernatural ability to come back from death, or someone tries to resurrect you, it's going to take twice the normal effort. The cost will be doubled, it'll take twice as long, and, if you've got a limited number of lives, you are considered to have lost two of them.
    Causing the Tilt: Getting torn to shreds by an Uratha with Jaws of the Destroyer.
    Removing the Tilt: Get brought back to life somehow.
    Storm's Whisper (Honor; Storm Lords Only)
    Still unsure...

The Hunter's Bounty (Purity; Hunters-in-Darkness Only)
    The Wolf Must Hunt; there can be nothing purer than that.
    Cost: None
    Duration: Permanent
    Action: None
    You may consume the flesh of anything wolves in your area consider normal prey as if it were human flesh for the purposes of recovering Essence; you may do so regardless of your Primal Urge. If you are under the effects of the Siskur-Dah condition, you may consume the flesh of the hunt's target as if it were human flesh, and doing so is never a Harmony breaking point.
    If you were the one that invoked the Sacred Hunt, your entire pack gains the benefit of this Gift.

Eye of Death Wolf (Wisdom; Bone Shadows Only)
    Death Wolf takes away her wisest children, and takes their eyes. Then she tells them to take hers as well.
    Cost: None
    Duration: Permanent
    Action: None
    Your eyes are clouded over and obviously blind; however, that could not be further from the truth.
    As far as vision goes, your Human Senses, Wolf Senses, and Spirit Senses are now one and the same. Regardless of which set of senses you are using, your eyesight simultaneously gains the benefits of both Human Senses and Wolf Senses, and you can see on both sides of the Gauntlet without taking an action to switch (indeed, you don't need to even concentrate; you simply see the Shadow superimposed on the World of Flesh). You are entirely immune to the Blinded tilt; you could see perfectly with nothing but bloody eye-sockets.
    Last edited by amechra; 03-17-2015, 08:55 PM.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

I like this idea a lot. Like a lot a lot! What if auspice gifts were tied into PU instead? Showing the werewolf's spiritual growth into the role that the Mad Moon Goddess handed to them. Like upgrades to their hunter aspect? Turning them into exemplars of their auspice.

Comment

Perhaps tie in the merit of totem resemblance?

WoD-Dark Eras!! (Backed for Viking Age Werewolf)

Comment

What's that? I don't think I have come across that yet.

Comment

They mean Embodiment of the Firstborn.

That might be an idea... maybe they could get a discount on the Merit.

As for using Primal Urge... I'm not sure.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

Comment

Page 106, embodiment of the firstborn (•••••)

Basically you look dead on like your totems brood.

Edit: should mention the boons. You get to increase 1 attribute related to your totem by 1, which can go above the normal limit, and you can cow people into submission easier. If you spend willpower anyone attacking you gets the shaken condition.

Drawback: spirits that hate your firstborn hate you hard and will settle old hisil scores.
            Last edited by Lyrics Of War; 03-16-2015, 06:14 PM.

WoD-Dark Eras!! (Backed for Viking Age Werewolf)

Comment

Cool, that would be a nice tie in for the tribe gifts. My reasoning for using primal urge for the auspice powers are because it suppose to represent the growth of the wolf heart in their breast. Their spirit half growing from cub to adult. Side benefit is that you can get more bang for you XP when feeding into PU. Also it side steps the need to choose tribe or auspice for the fifth dot

Comment

My take on Milestone gifts, would be that once you have all 5 facets of a Gift, you can have a milestone gift, possibly unique to that Uratha, like Interlocks for Demon. Or you might get them from really important spirits or whatever. You'd still have to buy them.

Comment

That's a cool power. I guess you'd have to make a system for the power level and what a few sample Milestone Gifts for some of the Gifts.

My Homebrew
                  Star Wars d10
                  The Fallen for Demon: the Descent
                  Requiem for a Masquerade: VtR 2e Cainite Conversion (Vampira Roma)

Comment

Backstage Synchronicity is up.

I feel that Milestone Facets for each Gift is a neat idea, but outside the scope of what I, personally, am trying to do.

On that subject, any suggestions vis-a-vis the Facets that are already up?

Comment

I would like to see Milestone Gifts, but in a book meant for the "gurus" of the hunt, needing high Primal Urge requirements to access them, and being something that any Dihar spirit and above can concede.

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe View Post
                        I would like to see Milestone Gifts, but in a book meant for the "gurus" of the hunt, needing high Primal Urge requirements to access them, and being something that any Dihar spirit and above can concede.
                        I think needing a high Primal Urge diminishes the idea of the Gifts being Milestones. I'd rather have them available to all (theoretically), but only after the character performed a phenomenal deed. Milestone Gifts need to be a reward for action. As such they have a bit of conceptual overlap with Renown, as most acts that would warrant a Milestone Gift, are also those that allow you to get to the upper reaches of Renown.

Comment

They're basically what you get for doing stuff hypothetically worthy of the non-existent sixth dot of a renown.

That was my take at least.

Comment

Pretty much how we used them... 2 of the 4 pack members actually had Milestone Gifts gained from play.

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Comment

Out of the ones you have, they are all flavorful AND useful. I'm really quite taken with Jaws of the Destroyer, and Eyes of Death Wolf with how well they fir their tribe's theme. So good work on that.

My Homebrew
                              Star Wars d10
                              The Fallen for Demon: the Descent
                              Requiem for a Masquerade: VtR 2e Cainite Conversion (Vampira Roma)

Comment

Working...
                              X