Translupine Space: Fetish and Talen Construction Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translupine Space: Fetish and Talen Construction Thread

Figured we were overdue for a thread for this, particularly given the nature of some of the effects fetishes can now manage. An example fetish to get us started:

Plutonic Coin (Fetish •••)
    The earth hides many treasures. With this coin, a werewolf can induce it to yield some of them.
    Effect: An Uratha with the Flesh of Earth Elemental Facet can activate this fetish and spend points of Essence up to his dots in Honor Renown to uncover a generic piece of equipment or weaponry with an equivalent Availability rating from beneath a nearby patch of ground.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Is that like a "LOOT!" function?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
      Figured we were overdue for a thread for this, particularly given the nature of some of the effects fetishes can now manage. An example fetish to get us started:

Plutonic Coin (Fetish •••)
      The earth hides many treasures. With this coin, a werewolf can induce it to yield some of them.
      Effect: An Uratha with the Flesh of Earth Elemental Facet can activate this fetish and spend points of Essence up to his dots in Honor Renown to uncover a generic piece of equipment or weaponry with an equivalent Availability rating from beneath a nearby patch of ground.
      I was thinking metal detector could be a nice vessel as well...

Comment

The 90s (Fetish •)
        The 90s are a pair of normal sneakers. That is until you bust a sweet Essence out and they transform with a Reflexive Action into rad Rollerblade brand in-line skates for you to enjoy!! When using The 90s as skates on appropriate surfaces gain a Speed bonus as per the normal in-line skate rules. See Notyet Published: The Saddening.

Mechanically, I'm not sure these should actually require an Essence to activate, but the sentence is way more boring without it.
        Last edited by FlailBot; 03-21-2015, 02:08 PM.

Comment

The Stubbed Toe (Talen ••)
          A toe cut from a body that has died in a Wound, empowered by Wound-tainted spirits of deceit.
          Effect: When activated, any failed attempts to track the Uratha that activated it will seem to be a success, and lead the trackers into the heart of the nearest Wound. The talen only works for the 'natural' tracking of a werewolf, not the blood-sensing or Gift-directed hunts.

The Fool's Path (Fetish ••••)
          A tarot card depicting an unusually hirsute Fool, bound with a spirit of fate and failure.
          Effect: When activated this fetish turns all attempts to track the wearer into contested tracking attempts for the next 24 hours, offering a dicepool of the fetish-users Primal Urge + 4. During that time, with a Dramatic Failure, Failure, or Success, the fetish will lead the tracker into the heart of the nearest Wound. On a Dramatic Failure, the Lost Tracker Condition will not be gained until the tracker reaches their destination. This will fool the blood-based directional tracking of the Uratha.

I think these are the first fetishes I've made, and I'm unsure about the ranking of the Fool's Path.

Comment

Anyone have suggestions for designing fetish that allows a werewolf to climb walls like a spider or gecko, either as a unique power or maybe an alternative use of a Facet?

Comment

Perhaps a variant of the Moldywarp gift?

Comment

Originally posted by branford View Post
                Anyone have suggestions for designing fetish that allows a werewolf to climb walls like a spider or gecko, either as a unique power or maybe an alternative use of a Facet?
                Insect spirit bound into a pair of gloves. Gives the wall climb dread power.

Comment

How many dots should such a fetish cost?

Comment

I'd say about 2.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                      The Fool's Path (Fetish ••••)
                      A tarot card depicting an unusually hirsute Fool, bound with a spirit of fate and failure.
                      Effect: When activated this fetish turns all attempts to track the wearer into contested tracking attempts for the next 24 hours, offering a dicepool of the fetish-users Primal Urge + 4. During that time, with a Dramatic Failure, Failure, or Success, the fetish will lead the tracker into the heart of the nearest Wound. On a Dramatic Failure, the Lost Tracker Condition will not be gained until the tracker reaches their destination. This will fool the blood-based directional tracking of the Uratha.

I think these are the first fetishes I've made, and I'm unsure about the ranking of the Fool's Path.
                      What happens if there are no Wounds in the general vicinity? How far away will it send the tracker in search of a Wound?

Originally posted by branford View Post
                      I would probably make it a 3 dot Fetish that allows an alternate use for a Facet; probably either Moldywarp or Running Silent. Probably give the werewolf a climb Speed equal to their Dexterity + Athletics score.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer & Developer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
                        What happens if there are no Wounds in the general vicinity? How far away will it send the tracker in search of a Wound?
                        I was thinking since tracking doesn't seem to have a distance limit, especially blood-based direction sense, it would just take you to the nearest one, even if it's a hundred miles away. You might get tipped off if a scent is minutes old and the trail leads you a hundred miles away or a direction you just came from, but the false trail would still lead you a hundred miles away.
                        Last edited by nofather; 03-27-2015, 09:39 AM.

Comment

what sort of a fetish would you make with waterbearspirit?

Comment

Want to bring this back to life, see if people have come up with other interesting stuff, I put here one I made a while back.

Gauru Klaive (•••••)

This fetish can take the form of any weapon, though it is usually a sword or the favored weapon of the werewolf in question, this fetish can be found most commonly in the hands of Blood Talons or Storm Lords.

Effect
                            At the moment of creating the fetish, the character picks a Fighting Style appropriate for the weapon. When the fetish is activated, he knows it completely and can use it even in Gauru form or while suffering through Death Rage. The weapon becomes instinctive to use and while in Gauru form its initiative penalty doesn’t apply. If he already knows the Fighting Style he may use the dots invested as bonus dice on related attack rolls.
                            Note
                            Not all Fighting Styles are compatible while in death rage, as some have maneuvers that require the ability to think before acting. If it modifies an existing attack or passively/reflexively applies its effect, it can still be used, but if it’s a “new” maneuver or attack, or requires you to make a conscious choice (such as dropping defense for any reason other than going all out), it won’t work in death rage. In Gauru form without death rage, the fetish can allow those to work normally; the storyteller/Rule Master has the final say on what can still be used while a werewolf is subject to kuruth.

Comment

Crow-Hunter Badge (Fetish •••)
                              An old beaten iron badge in the shape of a crow with outstretched wings, this was the mark of the Crow Hunters, elite Uratha that hunted the Halaku for the Curse-Father.
                              Effect: While different crow badges had different powers, this one allows an Irraka to use Eviscerate with their Archery skill.
                              If you don't do Archery (it's an alternate setting) Firearms seems fine.

Ethereal Boots (Fetish •••)
                              Originally a pair of high red velvet boots with toes that curled upward and inward. First stolen from a rajah of the Rakshasha, these original boots contained spirits borne from tall tales of the mythical creatures themselves. Having become big in cities, werewolves practically line up to find haunted houses and crime scenes with appropriate elusive spirits, more modern sneakers in hand.
                              Effect: When activated, for a scene the wearer can walk through solid material, their body slightly shifting into Twilight as they do so, and their speed halved. While doors, windows, and walls can be moved through with ease, the nature of the fetish doesn't extend its power into protection, and one is still harmed by blades, bullets, claws, or even a thrown brick.

Thanks for bringing it back.

Someone was asking about this in the simple questions thread.

Hag's Comb, or the Benjamin Button Brush (Fetish •••)
                              An ornate brush, usually something that's been owned for a long time and means something more to its owner than a simple grooming accessory. Bound with a spirit of time, the comb allows a werewolf to alter their hishu form even further.
                              Effect: When activated, a werewolf who uses Luna's embrace can make their hishu form older, appearing wizened, hunched and gray with age, or younger, though unless they have the Small-Framed Merit they will stand out as a particularly tall and likely gawky-looking youth.

Cinder Chains (Fetish ••••)
                              A long, crude and heavy chain of tungsten links, interspersed with wicked-looking spikes, in total the chain is about 15 feet long, and it's always warm to the touch, steaming slightly in ice and snow.
                              Effect: It takes four rounds to reach full effectiveness, but when activated the chain begins to grow hot. The activator can feel the heat but is unharmed by it. With each successful blow that causes damage, however, the weapon grows hotter, and begins adding a damage modifier to the weapon. Using the Heat of Fire chart, it caps out at +3, the heat of molten metal, whereupon the chains glow orange and fires burst from the metal. The fire will last for a scene, and the fiery chains can be used to incinerate remains or survivors.
                              Last edited by nofather; 02-07-2019, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X