Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Werewolf 2e Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello,

1. My player asked me if she can create a fetish to change the effect of the Catastrophe facet of the Gift of the Elements to work with Influences other than the ones included, so she could use it with her Totemic Empowerment and create rather bountiful harvest for the pack Totem. How would you rate such a fetish? If it would work on specific Influence by binding a coressponding spirit, or all of them with a spirit of Strenght or maybe even one of the Cahalunim (General "I will unleash the power, to hell with consequences")? Also, would Influence (Electricity) would be considered elemental, if so, which other elements could be included - metal, wood, light/darkness etc?

2. Also, she asked me if there is another reliable way of regaining lost Willpower other than acting as her Blood/Bone archetypes, I looked over the Inspired condition for herself but it does it only by two consecutive exceptional success rolls (one to gain the condition, and one when resolving it).

​Any feedback is appreciated

Comment

• Personally, I have no experience with fetishes this edition. I'd say three dots, since I would say it's not really a question of 'can I do this' and more 'What will the consequences be if I do this?' As for electricity, I'd say yes, but this is really the sort of thing where the ruling is up to the story you want to tell.

Currently Playing: A large, mixed splat game of CofD.
      As: Seth; Would-be shaman. Wildlife studies major. Wolfblood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shikaree View Post
        1. My player asked me if she can create a fetish to change the effect of the Catastrophe facet of the Gift of the Elements to work with Influences other than the ones included, so she could use it with her Totemic Empowerment and create rather bountiful harvest for the pack Totem. How would you rate such a fetish? If it would work on specific Influence by binding a coressponding spirit, or all of them with a spirit of Strenght or maybe even one of the Cahalunim (General "I will unleash the power, to hell with consequences")? Also, would Influence (Electricity) would be considered elemental, if so, which other elements could be included - metal, wood, light/darkness etc?
        As written, it allows you to amplify Influence given by another Elemental Facet. So mechanically speaking, an easy way to do it is a fetish to alter one of the other Elemental Facets, and Catastrophe would just work with that. If you wanted to use it with Totemic Empowerment, you would need the fetish to alter Catastrophe. Either way, I think it would just need to be a 3 dot fetish, which offers, 'a modification to a specific Facet that allows it to be used in new ways.' This would require a 3 dot spirit to be bound. If you were altering Catastrophe to work based off Totemic Empowerment, you might want a totem spirit for it (preferably not your own). If you were altering one of the other Elemental Gifts you could probably manage it just by binding another elemental spirit, like an electrical spirit or lightning spirit. Some sample elemental spirits from other werewolf books are electricity, plastic, steel, granite, flame, storm. I think you could probably manage more far out, non-elemental things like Influence: Snakes if you went up and used a 5 dot fetish instead.

2. Also, she asked me if there is another reliable way of regaining lost Willpower other than acting as her Blood/Bone archetypes, I looked over the Inspired condition for herself but it does it only by two consecutive exceptional success rolls (one to gain the condition, and one when resolving it).

​Any feedback is appreciated
        You're supposed to be able to get 1 Willpower back for a good night's rest. It was left out of the book by mistake. Other ways are mentioned here.

Comment

I'd have a fetish make Black Earth, Red Hunger work with Catastrophe for such. You have an example of a fetish that allows you to use electricity influence in the corebook.

Originally posted by Shikaree View Post
          Rest, each night's sleep is worth 1 WP for Uratha, same as humans.

Comment

• Thank you for the quick recommendations! Regarding Willpower I also would ask:

Do you allow your players to spend Willpower to boost rolls which, if successful, would result in fulfilling their blood/bone Archetype conditions for regaining Willpower? It would seem that they become great at what they are - its basically a free +3 enhancement bonus to such rolls. Like, for example, Intimidation rolls with the Monster, or a Stealth roll for a Lone wolf acting independent.

Comment

Thank you for the quick recommendations! Regarding Willpower I also would ask:

Do you allow your players to spend Willpower to boost rolls which, if successful, would result in fulfilling their blood/bone Archetype conditions for regaining Willpower? It would seem that they become great at what they are - its basically a free +3 enhancement bonus to such rolls. Like, for example, Intimidation rolls with the Monster, or a Stealth roll for a Lone wolf acting independent.
              Yes, given they get no net gain in Willpower.

Comment

Definitely. Both for a single point and for a full refill. WP is there to be used, and especially when performing something risky (which most Blood & Bone archetypes requires). Is it metagaming? Debatable, but I'd never impose a limitation on a player choosing to act according to the character sheet. Besides, only a few archetypes grants WP depending on the outcomes of your actions rather than just simply taking the action regardless of the outcome.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Inspired gives you a Willpower point regardless of how successful the roll is. That's the primary benefit of the Condition.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                  Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Would a Phantom Pack set off spirit detecting powers? I don't think they're visible to others, but I'd like a second opinion.

Currently Playing: A large, mixed splat game of CofD.
                    As: Seth; Would-be shaman. Wildlife studies major. Wolfblood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gryphon's Feather View Post
                      Would a Phantom Pack set off spirit detecting powers? I don't think they're visible to others, but I'd like a second opinion.
                      Based on the line, 'A pack of phantom wolves, possibly spirits or ghosts, lurk at her periphery at all times.' I'd say it depends. It looks like you could have it be ghosts (say, if the character was born at a place a pack of wolves were killed) or spirits (for instance in a territory that was a hunting ground but is now free of wolves or werewolves). Presumably you could come up with some other things that would fit.

So, yes if they're spirits. No if they're something else.

Comment

• What about the creation element of Influences while in the Shadow - does it create ephemera or is special case of essence locked in a flavour or form? Can a fire light other ephemera on fire? Could a spirit with the same resonanse eat it up - doew he eat the substance if it's ephemeral, ot feed through its resonance, leaving the created substance in existance like when it is in the flesh?

Comment

What about the creation element of Influences while in the Shadow - does it create ephemera or is special case of essence locked in a flavour or form?
                          It depends on what you're making, I think you could make some sort of raw Essence if you tried, but for the most part if you made a Fire, for instance, it would create fire made of ephemera. Technically, everything in the Shadow is ephemera, even werewolves or mages who transport there. It's the 'matter' of the Shadow.

Can a fire light other ephemera on fire?
                          If they're flammable. Or inflammable. It might work if something was conceptually inflammable, like a Rage or Pain spirit. Though it might not be hurt from it.

Could a spirit with the same resonanse eat it up - doew he eat the substance if it's ephemeral, ot feed through its resonance, leaving the created substance in existance like when it is in the flesh?
                          The substance created in the Shadow is ephemeral, so it wouldn't leave an existing piece behind, unless the eater wanted to or it fit whatever was happening, like if a Fire spirit ate a big fire it might leave ashes or smoke behind.

Comment

• Are there any official or homebrew alternate Auspice abilities, similar to the alternate Birthrights presented in the Beast Player's Guide?

Comment

• There is the Doom Howler merit, which is unnofficial content from one of the Werewolf writers. Not exactly what you asked for, since it's a merit, but as far as I know it's the closest we have currently.

Doom Howler (Werewolf Merit ••)
                              Prerequisite: Cahalith Auspice
                              Effect: Your character replaces the Prophetic Dreams Auspice Ability with the Doom Howler ability: Once per chapter, you can force an attack or hostile effect that would be targeted at a packmate to be targeted at the Cahalith instead, if it would possibly be viable. This is your choice as the player, rather than a conscious ability on the Cahalith, and so they do not need to be aware of the attack to retarget it; however, the source of the effect must be aware of the Cahalith's presence. Ablaze with the moon's power, the Cahalith is rendered as a threatening apparition of Luna's might, and draws the greatest risks of battle onto themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
                                Are there any official or homebrew alternate Auspice abilities, similar to the alternate Birthrights presented in the Beast Player's Guide?
                                There's the alternative Auspices in Signs of the Moon. For Solar Eclipse, Lunar Eclipse, Stellar Eclipse and Blood Moon. There's also alternative Moon Gifts, as each Auspice does cover a range of concepts, such as the Screaming Moon of the Cahalith. Aside from Auspices there are things that can happen during the First Change, with some homebrew examples from a writer.

So far the books have been more about the core of the game, with the Pack expanding on it. Presumably there will be some interesting options in Shunned by the Moon, as some of the werewolves within may have a skewed relationship with Luna.
                                Last edited by nofather; 06-21-2018, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X