No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Werewolf 2e Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dumb question, but it's been gnawing on me for a while. the corebook mentions Creator wolf, who was the yin to Destroyer wolf's yang. it also says creator wolf became rabid gibbering wreck who spread his madness like a plague. is rabid wolf what creator wolf became?

Comment

• Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
      dumb question, but it's been gnawing on me for a while. the corebook mentions Creator wolf, who was the yin to Destroyer wolf's yang. it also says creator wolf became rabid gibbering wreck who spread his madness like a plague. is rabid wolf what creator wolf became?
      Maybe, maybe not. The Blood Talons legend clashes with what’s possibly going on in Basra , for example.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

• Can spirits use gifts since they are the ones who give them to werewolves?

Comment

• No. A Gift isn't something a spirit has that it shares with you or a trick it knows that it teaches to you. It's a ritual scar a spirit can tear into a werewolf's body and spirit (or which a werewolf can tear into herself from a successfully hunted spirit), like the spirit's Essence lodging itself in as a part of the half-flesh, half-spiritual werewolf. A Gift is more like the product of intermingling of Uratha and spirit Essence. Spirits are missing half the equation.

Nothing's stopping a Storyteller from giving a spirit a Numen based on a Gift effect (or any other supernatural power writeup from another gameline, for that matter), but that should probably be saved for when the available Numina and Influences don't adequately represent some signature thing a spirit would do. Gifts are written for werewolves, so they're huntier (and PC-ier) than the average spirit Numen.

Comment

• Imagine it like this: The power behind all Gifts is that of the werewolf. The Gifts provide Facets, aka lenses, through which the werewolf can express their powers in different ways. That's why so many Facets affect werewolf subjects, like packs, or Death Rage, when those would be unusable for the spirit who imparted the Gift in the first place.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• In Book of Spirits it mentions that Naturae can take the Greater Influence Numina. Is that still valid in 2ed ? So lets say we have a Rank 3 sea spirit with Influence: Storms 3.

Does it mean it can be taken once to gain Influence 4 ? If so, it can only be taken once, correct ? Or does the Rank limit still apply ?

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists
              The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate

Comment

• Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
                In Book of Spirits it mentions that Naturae can take the Greater Influence Numina. Is that still valid in 2ed ? So lets say we have a Rank 3 sea spirit with Influence: Storms 3.

Does it mean it can be taken once to gain Influence 4 ? If so, it can only be taken once, correct ? Or does the Rank limit still apply ?
                Rank always applied with Greater Influence. In the Book of Spirits Greater Influence just allowed you to have more Influences but as it states on p142, 'No spirit may have a single Influence greater than its Rank, or more different kinds of Influences than its Rank.'

In second edition this is simplified by not having a separate Numina for Greater Influence, and just offering a flat 'Spirits may reduce their number of Numina granted by Rank to increase Influence dots at a cost of one Numen per dot.' From p186 of the core.

Comment

• Cool, thank you.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists
                  The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate

Comment

• Hunter’s Aspect question - Can Aspect be put on multiple targets? Like my PCs pack was fighting with enemy pack of Uratha and Wolf-Blooded, circa 30 members. Can one flared Aspect works on all 30 enemies?

Even if they are singular, I can see execution of this rule on working on whole humans Sacred Prey organization that Iron Masters mark with Siskur-Dah.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                    LGBT+ through Ages
                    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

• If you do something to affect them all, I don't see why not.

Comment

• This is a very simple question probably but I want to be super sure about it before I get going running my first game that might feature WtF in it.

Werewolf the Forsaken 2e, page 96: “When the character is stressed — during combat, a chase, or when she feels threatened — she shifts one form towards an appropriate form each turn. The stress means she cannot resist”

Assuming that you have a character just fresh out of char gen, this is an instant action. Which means it takes your whole turn.

This isn't getting into the idea of 'well what if I want to have a werewolf who fights with a gun when appropriate' or the idea of a non-lethal hand to hand fight in a public arena, be it trying to beat someone down in a brawl to secure a rep or simply take someone alive for questioning.

Say you were in basic human form at the start of an unarmed fight. You're Werewolf Bob fighting Wolf Blooded Charles, who is part of a different pack and is blocking your way chasing after a figure. Presumably for political reasons. Round one, you throw a punch, he throws a punch.

Round two, you spend an Instant Action and thus your whole turn (unless you spend Essence) transforming to Dalu. He throws another punch.

Round three, you throw a punch, he throws a punch.

Round four, you automatically make the once a scene transition to Garaou and are going to destroy him now because that's how this goes.

Is there no viable way to go 'no this is meant to be a fistfight?' or even just planning to be able to shoot dudes for a bit? I can really easily imagine a lot of reasons you might get into a fight in public but need to maintain cover and the ignorance of the herd. Or not lose an entire action to a dramatic bone snapping Hollywood horror transformation sequence, until that becomes dramatically appropriate.

I mostly am weirdly bothered by the huge intrusion into the action economy and the edging out of ranged options. I know it is a quick stroke of the pen to fix it as houserules if so inclined but I want to make sure I'm understanding what it is right now. The action economy thing especially bothers me a lot, too many years of Exalted and Dungeons and Dragons.
                        Last edited by Alpharius; 12-08-2019, 11:24 PM.

Comment

• If you check out the previous paragraph, you'll see that the change while stressed refers to Low Harmony werewolves (3 or below), so this isn't likely to occur fresh out of chargen. The the paragraph break has caused this question to pop up before. Also shifting in this manner (and at this Harmony) is not an instant action, it's reflexive. Action economy isn't really an issue.

Also Dalu is made for urban hunts so you don't really have to rush into Gauru, though it's a good way to say 'fuck this I'm going to kill them.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpharius View Post
                            This is a very simple question probably but I want to be super sure about it before I get going running my first game that might feature WtF in it.

Werewolf the Forsaken 2e, page 96: “When the character is stressed — during combat, a chase, or when she feels threatened — she shifts one form towards an appropriate form each turn. The stress means she cannot resist”

Assuming that you have a character just fresh out of char gen, this is an instant action.
                            Assuming you have a character just fresh out of chargen, this is a non-issue. Read the paragraph directly preceding the quoted sentence, whose terms the quoted sentence is offering immediate clarification on:

"She can spend Essence to avoid this shift, as long as she isn't stressed." > "When the character is stressed […] she cannot resist."

Resident Lore-Hound
                            Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                              Assuming you have a character just fresh out of chargen, this is a non-issue. Read the paragraph directly preceding the quoted sentence, whose terms the quoted sentence is offering immediate clarification on:

"She can spend Essence to avoid this shift, as long as she isn't stressed." > "When the character is stressed […] she cannot resist."

So the ability to spend essence is an option, but I feel like we have a conundrum. It just defined the framework of the change only being mandatory when stressed which includes such times as combat or a chase. There is no time that this mandatory shift would happen that isn't set up definitionally as unavailable for the essence spend rule.

I mean my gut would say they can spend essence to not change whenever, but feel like either I'm not grokking some rule element here or there was a writing error.

"You always shift one form towards a more ideal one for the situation when stressed, but can spend an essence to avoid that mandatory shift but only when you aren't stressed." seems wrong.

Or is that final paragraph meaning only for low Harmony figures? If so that fixes everything but is not at all how that text block reads to me, which means I'm an idiot or it needs better structure.
                              Last edited by Alpharius; 12-09-2019, 02:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpharius View Post
                                "You always shift one form towards a more ideal one for the situation when stressed, but can spend an essence to avoid that mandatory shift but only when you aren't stressed." seems wrong.
                                You shift irresistibly under stress and must either change shape every scene or spend Essence every scene to avoid changing shape in the absence of stressful conditions.

Again: This is literally not a concern for characters with a Harmony higher than 3, which includes every starting character under the game as written.

Resident Lore-Hound
                                Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Working...
                                X