Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Werewolf 2e Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
    Claimed often become monstrous in appearance, which can be an indicator, but that's not exactly uncommon in the world of Chronicles. I think changes are less apparent if the spirit is more human related, as well, like an obsession spirit born of a humans passions.
    There's little in the way of guidelines in Werewolf, but Hunter's 1e supplement Spirit Slayers puts the point of obvious inhumanity at the point where the host's increased Attributes break the mortal Trait cap for its take on the Ridden.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Which 1e Werewolf books are most interesting and/or important to read for someone who touched only 2e? Like, on what I should not miss?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dark Archon View Post
        Which 1e Werewolf books are most interesting and/or important to read for someone who touched only 2e? Like, on what I should not miss?
        I think Predators and Territories, others depend on what you really need to know. But aside from the Pack and Shunned by the Moon, a lot of the werewolf Dark Eras are invaluable and might not be considered 'werewolf' books.

Predators is, I think, the most important first edition book. It's got write-ups for something like more than 80 spirits of different types. The spirit system has changed across editions but not that much (you would have to add Manifestations and a ban or bane, though many of the write-ups offer options that could fit both), fluffwise they've just toned down the animosity towards werewolves and I think the book is good at displaying that. It gets into how spirits grow, what lunes and helions are like (might want to up the animosity with helions), explains the why and how of magath, and that's all just in one chapter. The rest has systems for urged and claimed and hosts. The mechanics for them are more different but the fluff behind it is still valid and the powers can mostly be easily transferred or just guide you idea-wise. The last chapter has the Ancients, which are easily slotted in as Pangaeans that turned to the flesh or idigam that have managed to become what they wanted to become.

Outside of that, I think it depends on your interests. A lot of people have mentioned not understanding tribes, or auspices, or how they work. For them Signs of the Moon or Tribes of the Moon are pretty good for offering ideas for lore and how these things work in-setting, but the mechanics are mostly useless except as inspiration. They each have a chapter on one of the auspices or tribes and get into how they work, even offering glimpses of them across the globe. If you're interested in Ghost Wolves or Protectorates and the Pack doesn't help, The Rage might. It offers some options for them and gets into how some of the mechanical systems may be represented in-setting, but it's anchored in 1e and a lot of the mechanics are backwards.

I'd like to suggest the Pure but it is very dated. It can still be used to guide the personalities and attitudes of the Pure, but a lot of it might not jibe with how they exist in second edition, focusing on the hunt and so forth. The Pure had some more objectionably bad or stupid mindsets too. War Against the Pure seems focused just on wars with the Pure, but it really opens up a concept of 'silver crusades' which are basically when the Forsaken go to war with anyone. If you want a big chronicle it can offer a lot of advice for that.

Then Lore of the Forsaken. I think it was one of the first 1e supplements published, so it is -way- dated, but it can offer an outlook on the Firstborn (including the Pure ones) if you're not up to looking through the Dark Eras or forum. The big thing is that it has some systems and descriptions for how Essence appears to werewolves. It also has the Maeljin, which can be slotted in as extras beyond the prime five introduced in Shunned, or just turned into powerful spirits, each is given a lieutenant (I think they're all Rank 4?) Maeltinet spirit that, like the other spirits in Predators, can be easily converted.

Lastly, Territories is a book I didn't like in first edition but looking back is still really useful (not as good as Predators but it's probably second in regards to setting-building). My problem with it as a player was that it offers a bunch of options for a territory (like park, or stadium, or university) and it was portrayed as 'if you want this, you have to pay experience to get it into your territory,' which was ridiculous given the exp costs in first edition and me believing 'getting' these things should be entirely in-story achievements. But as I've ST'd more there's a lot of good advice there for these things, it even gets into descriptions of Wounds, Glades, Barrens and Shoals. The mechanical affects for these things can be easily converted, but there are rites in it that I think should stay back in first edition. The best part, however, is that it has a few settings, specifically 'a small town, a stretch of wilderness, a section of city, a swath of suburbia and a incipient war zone.' The 'war' mentioned is in the hisil, a shadow war between spirit courts. These can do a lot to help someone who's trying to figure out how to build a setting or convert a real life setting into a more gamable playground.

Comment

• When a werewolf is at Harmony 5, are the only things that can trigger Kuruth the general baseline ones?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
            When a werewolf is at Harmony 5, are the only things that can trigger Kuruth the general baseline ones?
            Correct, their personal triggers are the only ones affected by Harmony

Consumer of lore, myth, history, tales and songs. Pronoun ambiguous Constantly Out in the Grapes™

Comment

• Has anyone written up any star-spirits, or are there any in any of the books? Ideally 2e, but 1e is good for inspiration as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                Has anyone written up any star-spirits, or are there any in any of the books? Ideally 2e, but 1e is good for inspiration as well.

Other than idigam Cthugha in the 2E core and the angel of Mars in Shunned by the Moon, I think there aren't any in 2E.

MtAw Homebrew:
                Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
                New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

• Can a werewolf carry someone else with them when Reaching at a Locus?

Comment

• In first edition, explicitly yes, although at a penalty for non-werewolves and only if the person consents. At a glance I don't see a direct method to do this in second edition, although if nothing else, it seems clearly within the design space of what rites should be able to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
                      In first edition, explicitly yes, although at a penalty for non-werewolves and only if the person consents. At a glance I don't see a direct method to do this in second edition, although if nothing else, it seems clearly within the design space of what rites should be able to do.
                      Thanks! I'm mildly hacking the thing anyway, so adding an ability to carry others across makes sense to me. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't reinventing the wheel.

Comment

• What do spirits roll in grapple? Pure Power, or Power + Finesse?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dark Archon View Post
                          What do spirits roll in grapple? Pure Power, or Power + Finesse?
                          I'd say it's Power + Finesse like with their other attacks

Comment

• I'm looking at the Gluttony (Honor) Facet for the Gift of Hunger in Shunned by the Moon. Does this Facet affect supernatural "appetites" such as a Werewolf's Essence or a Vampire's Vitae or only mundane sources? The Gift doesn't seem to state one way or another. Being able to force say a Vampire to only get 1 Vitae for every 2-6 they consumed seems powerful, so I'm not sure if the Gift is intended to work this way or not

Comment

• Is there any metaphorical (d)evolution for the Werewolves?
                              Like, Vampires are kinda descendants from the Strix. Mages can become Archmages. Changelings can become a True Fae using some Eldritch Titles(maybe).

Is there any non-playable being apart from Spirits that represents werewolves but is superior in power?

Homebrews:
                              Vampire Bloodlines: Abhartach, Kiasyd
                              Ordo Dracul Coils: Hunger, Primal Blood
                              Mage Legacies: Infernal Ones, Daoine

Comment

• Devourers show snippets of what it's like to be a bodhisattva werewolf, with great benefits, but Devourers hijack that power through a rite and profane deeds. The bodhisattva predator is generally seen as the 'archmage' of werewolf. There's also Tyrants, and even idigam or Geryo depending on how you want to run with things.

In terms of 'devolution' you have Zi'ir and Mimics and possibly void reivers. Geryo are often thought to be an alpha version of what would eventually become werewolves, but are far separate from them. And if you're feeling derogatory werewolves (and every other line) can be a shartha of some sort.

Aurumae Re: Gluttony, I'd allow it. Add Supernatural Tolerance to resist, it only works a day and if something is really being hunted it's not going to have to worry about it longer than that anyhow. Plus it works on guns and cars.

Comment

Working...
                                X