Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Werewolf 2e Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Werewolf 2e Edition

I know -I- could use a thread like this while I'm digesting the new core, so I figured it would be helpful for multiple people.

First question: if I combine Gaze of the Moon from Gift of Dominance with Gaze of the Moon from Gift of Change, how long would the resulting Awestruck condition last? Since it only inflicts Lunancy for a moment and Awestruck lasts until the being stops inflicting Lunacy, RAW says it'd last for only a moment before resetting...but that seems a little iffy.

• nofather
    replied
    Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
    I couldn't find the answer to this in either the corebook or Shunned: How do the Pure increase Renown? Do they receive their crimson brands from powerful Totems instead of Lunes?
    Yeah that's it.

Leave a comment:

• espritdecalmar
    replied
    I couldn't find the answer to this in either the corebook or Shunned: How do the Pure increase Renown? Do they receive their crimson brands from powerful Totems instead of Lunes?

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by hamildong View Post
    By that city-killing metric, is the Facet actually that strong?
    It's an indiscriminate supernatural power that allows you to summon a torrential thunderstorm that lasts for hours regardless of the normal weather. I bring up the "killing your city" note to point out that it's not a precision-targeted effect even without the need for an insulator Facet, which means having it last for ten hours minimum is not universally a benefit — at the same cost as Catastrophe (Strengthen with no added duration), Read the World's Loom, and most of the Warding Facets, the ability to introduce an environmental complication for most of a day or night with conditional immunities for you and your allies makes more sense as a tool of the hunt than spending several minutes building up the power to apply the same conditions for an hour or two.

The success result specifically states it's "unlikely to be as destructive as the Catastrophe Facet" but that invoking it repetitively "can have very serious results" (WtF2e p.136).
    Catastrophe costs substantially more to use as a modifier on a second Facet and half of its options on that front start from "strengthen a potentially destructive natural element in a radius measured in miles." Most environments can weather an isolated incident of sudden rainfall, but Catastrophe is set up for large bursts of elemental power in line with natural disasters worthy of the Facet's name.

Leave a comment:

• hamildong
    replied
    Thanks for the quick response there!

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    Powers that are activated as extended actions with outcomes scaled by successes are tricky in general, but given that Heavens Unleashed costs five Essence and is, as Chris Allen puts it, a "killing your city" Facet (and it needs a separate Facet to not have it impede you or your packmates), I'd say it lasts at least ten hours.
    By that city-killing metric, is the Facet actually that strong? The success result specifically states it's "unlikely to be as destructive as the Catastrophe Facet" but that invoking it repetitively "can have very serious results" (WtF2e p.136). If the one activation of this Facet is that potent, I'm struggling to find a reason the book would even mention repeated uses, and at that point it feels like it's treading on the territory of the combined Catastrophe + Heart of Water Elemental Facets just in and of itself. Totally not meaning to be contrary — just trying to work my head around this minutia!
    Last edited by hamildong; 12-23-2019, 03:28 PM. Reason: edited for formatting error

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by hamildong View Post
    Heavens Unleashed Weather Facet

Relatively new to storytelling Werewolf here — as such, I've run into an oddity with the aforementioned Glory Facet of the Gift of Weather (WtF2e pp.135–136). Heavens Unleashed requires 10 successes to activate, with extended rolls taking a minute apiece. The duration is 1hr/success. My presumption is that this means it will last an hour if all ten successes are achieved, plus an extra hour for any above that number. Am I reading too much into that?

Furthermore, if I am actually interpreting that correctly, can the Uratha keep rolling 1/min even after the requisite 10 successes are rolled, in order to extend the duration of the storm? The text under the exceptional success paragraph leads me to believe the intention is to spend more Essence and activate the power again if you want the storm to rage on.

First time actually posting here, so I apologize in advance if I've overlooked any forum rules!
    Powers that are activated as extended actions with outcomes scaled by successes are tricky in general, but given that Heavens Unleashed costs five Essence and is, as Chris Allen puts it, a "killing your city" Facet (and it needs a separate Facet to not have it impede you or your packmates), I'd say it lasts at least ten hours.

Generally speaking an extended action completes once its target success count is reached, and the target success count is set from the start; complications might undo your work or force you to start over, but it's not like Social Maneuvering where you're aiming for a certain number of successful rolls to influence a complicated circumstance over a set of intervals substantially longer than once per minute.

Leave a comment:

• hamildong
    replied
    Heavens Unleashed Weather Facet

Relatively new to storytelling Werewolf here — as such, I've run into an oddity with the aforementioned Glory Facet of the Gift of Weather (WtF2e pp.135–136). Heavens Unleashed requires 10 successes to activate, with extended rolls taking a minute apiece. The duration is 1hr/success. My presumption is that this means it will last an hour if all ten successes are achieved, plus an extra hour for any above that number. Am I reading too much into that?

Furthermore, if I am actually interpreting that correctly, can the Uratha keep rolling 1/min even after the requisite 10 successes are rolled, in order to extend the duration of the storm? The text under the exceptional success paragraph leads me to believe the intention is to spend more Essence and activate the power again if you want the storm to rage on.

First time actually posting here, so I apologize in advance if I've overlooked any forum rules!

Leave a comment:

• espritdecalmar
    replied
    Originally posted by Tessie View Post

Probably because it's the most spiritual form that either doesn't lack opposable thumbs or makes you a bit angery.
    I can buy that. Simple enough.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
    Is there a specific reason why Dalu form provides a bonus to enacting Rites?
    Probably because it's the most spiritual form that either doesn't lack opposable thumbs or makes you a bit angery.

Leave a comment:

• espritdecalmar
    replied
    Is there a specific reason why Dalu form provides a bonus to enacting Rites?

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Originally posted by Elfive View Post
    The "move one step towards the appropriate form" bit doesn't really work either, cos say you're in human form and you're trying to run somewhere. You slowly shift towards urhan and- wait, no, you're in gauru now so you death rage never mind.
    Technically speaking it's only when stressed (which usually means threatened) you're forced to change shape form-by-form. I do think it makes a little sense that you can end up in Death Rage due to being too far from the goal form when exposed to certain stimuli. Also, you'll always be able to shift through Gauru this way once per scene without falling to Kuruth.
    If your example human-formed uratha isn't stressed, then they're only forced to shift once per scene, and can shift directly into Urhan.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    That if you view the five forms as a cycle. You could just go human, near human, near wolf, wolf.

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    The "move one step towards the appropriate form" bit doesn't really work either, cos say you're in human form and you're trying to run somewhere. You slowly shift towards urhan and- wait, no, you're in gauru now so you death rage never mind.

Leave a comment:

• Alpharius
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

Yes. The paragraph concerning low Harmony literally ends with ‘ She can spend Essence to avoid this shift, as long as she isn't stressed.’. The next paragraph literally then begins with ‘When the character is stressed’, which links the two.

But as others have said, this is a non-issue for new characters and only applies to low Harmony Uratha, as they struggle to avoid shifting constantly. If your characters avoid such a low Harmony extreme they should be okay.

I’m glad people could clear that up before your first game!
    I misread it years ago and that basically colored every time I saw that passage again. I'm putting together a mixed game with WtF and Mage, and while I know mage fairly well now after playing one for a year and a bit, werewolf I am refreshing memory on and that jumped out. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Bunyip
    replied
    Originally posted by Alpharius View Post
    See okay, that works but is not how I read that block at all. The rules for all the various Harmony levels had been in a single paragraph each so I felt that the last paragraph being absent any specific note of Harmony applied to everyone! I have been misreading that for years apparently!
    Yes. The paragraph concerning low Harmony literally ends with ‘ She can spend Essence to avoid this shift, as long as she isn't stressed.’. The next paragraph literally then begins with ‘When the character is stressed’, which links the two.

But as others have said, this is a non-issue for new characters and only applies to low Harmony Uratha, as they struggle to avoid shifting constantly. If your characters avoid such a low Harmony extreme they should be okay.

I’m glad people could clear that up before your first game!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X