Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help/advice: New player joining an existing game.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help/advice: New player joining an existing game.

In my quest to find a new gaming group, I may be joining a game of Werewolf (1E) soon.

Since this is an already running game, and my NWoD experience is severely limited, I'm turning to the forum for advice before I fall behind the more experienced players. And by that I mean general advice.

As for a character, I'm interested in an Elodoth (by personal preference), but probably going to end up playing a Cahalith (Because I'm one of those people who have "Must balance pack" playing on a loop in their head.)

Currently Playing: A large, mixed splat game of CofD. As: Seraph du Salomon, Voice on the concordance. Unsubtle man reluctantly participating in the business of Magi. Awakening 2E homebrew http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...=1569864567692

Well, for a starter I can only say to you to grab a simple character concept, ask the group what they need from you and have fun.

Don't worry too much about sheet, because during play you'll probably change style once or twice, so it is very hard to think of a build you'll really use. A more balanced character is usually easier to handle. Unless you want to do the one-trick-pony, also easy to play, them you just max-out from start what you need for your trick. Some groups frown on this, others not, find what's your new group's tastes.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
    #AutismPride
    She/her pronouns

Comment

I agree with monteparnas.

I would add that you could ask the GM / group if they mind if you play a character for a few session and then possibly change it once you know what you are doing.

I've played a few games where I've created a character that on paper that are great, but because I'd never used the system before I found that they were nowhere near as effective as I thought.

Playing a character that the group needs is always good, and will mean that you will have a role to do. However, don't let your group dictate what you can and can't play. If you aren't having fun, then something needs to change.

Comment

Communication with the group is key. Experienced Storytellers and players are usually excellent at offering suggestions to get a new player involved and help with character concept. The important thing is to play something that you think you'll enjoy, especially when you are first learning. While balanced packs are nice, this isn't D&D so they are not essential. But ask your Storyteller if they are willing to allow you to play a certain character for a few sessions to sink your teeth into it, and then perhaps shift gears if the first character doesn't work for you. Also make sure the other players are cool with that as well since they will have to play around your character(s).

Comment

Sometimes the ST and the group also let you keep the character itself, but change the sheet to better match your real experience with it in the first sessions.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
          #AutismPride
          She/her pronouns

Comment

Working...
          X