No announcement yet.

Homebrew Wolf-Blooded Tells

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being able to use Influences and Numina could work. The former even so if you also have the Shadow Blessing Tell with an Elemental Gift Facet. That leaves the dice roll and the cost, which I think could be Resolve + Composure and 1 Willpower? Maybe it's another way for the Wolf-Blooded's 'tenants' to get out if you fail (or, worse, botch) your attempt at using one of their powers. And I was also thinking of revising the damage dealt by the attempts of the spirit/s to escape:

Exceptional Success - [Highest Rank/2] Bashing (or maybe none at all)
    Success - [Highest Rank] Bashing
    Failure - [Highest Rank] Lethal
    Dramatic Failure - [Highest Rank] Aggravated

And I think I should add that in the event the Wolf-Blooded's Willpower dots are reduced somehow, that would automatically release the lowest-ranking spirit/s inside him.

Also, I think I need some help fine-tuning the details of Shadow's Blessing, specifically how some Facets are expressed if used by the Wolf-Blooded (who don't have any Renown).

One example I got is for the Gift of the Elementals. Consider the character as having an Influence of one dot for the purpose of how much they can affect the element. But they also need to spend a Willpower point in addition to Essence. Catastrophe still works as normal with regards to giving protection against the effects of Uratha also employing the Facet.

Does that seem overpowered to any of you? Or would it work?

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Locus Drinker
      The Wolf-Blooded is dependent on Essence, and needs to take frequent fixes of it in order to function normally. This means he has to seek out places where the substance builds up and pools together. The truly daring (or suicidal) even attempt to hunt spirits and werewolves to get their fix. The character gains the Addicted Condition for Essence, which advances to the Deprived Condition if he has none.

Boon: The Wolf-Blooded can draw Essence from loci, spirits, and werewolves. For loci, this requires a meditation roll. For spirits and werewolves, the Wolf-Blooded must roll Presence + Wits while maintaining physical contact. In a combat situation, this requires making a grapple. Consequentially, devouring Essence from a spirit or werewolf is considered a grappling maneuver.
      I was thinking of revising it so that it's the only Tell with an Essence pool. In that case, the boon could be worded instead as...

Boon: The Wolf-Blooded has an Essence pool equal to his Stamina, and can draw Essence from loci, spirits, and werewolves. For loci, this requires a meditation roll. For spirits and werewolves, the Wolf-Blooded must roll Presence + Wits while maintaining physical contact. In a combat situation, this requires making a grapple. Consequentially, devouring Essence from a spirit or werewolf is considered a grappling maneuver.

On a semi-related note, I was considering a Merit with the Locus Drinker Tell as a prerequisite, and is based off of the Aether Pool Merit from Heirs to Hell.

Essence Reservoir (o to ooooo)
      Prerequisite:
      Locus Drinker Tell, Stamina 5
      Effect: Through prolonged exposure to the very lifeblood of spirits and the Shadow, you are able to hold more Essence within yourself than others who share your 'gift'. For each dot in this Merit, the maximum amount of Essence you can carry is increased by one point.

"My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Been a while since I last updated this, so let me open up with a new Tell and the promise of compiling all the Tells posted in this thread into a single document. Without further ado...

-+-

Tracker
        To the uragurum, the world is a riot of sounds and colors. He is more sensitive to bright flashes and loid noises, which can easily leave her overwhelmed and helpless. Every time the Wolf-Blooded is exposed to such stimuli, roll her Stamina + Resolve as a dice pool. On a dramatic failure and failure, she respectively gains the Insensate and Stunned Tilts. A success only inflicts the Disoriented Condition.

Boon: The Wolf-Blooded can access an Uratha's Wolf and Spirit Senses, gaining their associated benefits until she chooses to dismiss them. Use of either treats all failures in the Stamina + Resolve roll as dramatic failures for as long as they are active.
        Last edited by Deionscribe; 03-23-2016, 10:13 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
        Age of Azar
        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

Shadow's Blessing
          The Wolf-Blooded was born with a birth mark similar to the scars inflicted by spirits when they confer Gifts upon a Werewolf. This is no coincidence. He can actually channel the Essence in such a way that he can invoke one of the powers normally wielded by his Uratha cousins. This power, however, was not meant to be contained by mortal vessels, even those who share the character's descent.

Boon: The Wolf-Blooded gains access to a Facet from a single Shadow Gift, albeit in an imperfect form. Facets which require a roll treats any failures as dramatic failures, while those that would normally produce passive effects require a Willpower point to activate. The latter last for the duration of a scene. Either way, every use of the Facet inflicts a point of lethal damage on the character.

-=-

This can probably be another Tell which can grant the Wolf-Blooded an Essence pool. But I'm not sure. Input is appreciated.
          Well, since Spirits grant Gifts, what about making the Wolf-Blooded beholden to the Spirit that is the Gift(Facet)'s "Patron"? I'm not sure exactly how to represent that mechanically, though. Always Open to said Spirit? Must perform a service once per Story/Chapter? Feed it Essence? Obey it's Ban?

Originally posted by Raistlin View Post
          I would add to the Cage Tell the possibility of using the imprisoned spirit 's numinas or influences, at the cost of 1 willpower and/or lethal damage.
          What about that as an expanded option granted via a Merit (which has the Tell as a prerequisite)?

Additionally, instead of a constant risk, all-or-nothing for the Cage, what about leveraging Conditions? Like, failing a roll or using their Numina/Influence gives you the [Breaking Free?] Condition keyed to that Spirit, and if you would acquire it again for said Spirit, then it breaks free. This gives you a little bit of leeway.

Another potential use for an Essence Pool might be the ability to augment Attributes like Spirits can (capped at +3, as if the Wolf-Blood were a Rank 1 Spirit).

As to "effective Renown"... Maybe set it as an Attribute? Either just one (Resolve?), or one per Renown Type (Cunning = Manipulation, Wisdom = Intelligence, Glory = Presence, Honor = Wits, Purity = Composure)? Or leave it at 1 as a default, but have a Merit that can increase it (such as a 3 dot Merit that can be taken up to 4 times per Renown Category)?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Well, since Spirits grant Gifts, what about making the Wolf-Blooded beholden to the Spirit that is the Gift(Facet)'s "Patron"? I'm not sure exactly how to represent that mechanically, though. Always Open to said Spirit? Must perform a service once per Story/Chapter? Feed it Essence? Obey it's Ban?
            Why would that be the case? Birthmark. No spirit actually teared them open to implant the gift. Unless you're actually allowing them to get further facets, and even then, the dramatic failure penalty is more than enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Ephsy View Post

Why would that be the case? Birthmark. No spirit actually teared them open to implant the gift. Unless you're actually allowing them to get further facets, and even then, the dramatic failure penalty is more than enough.
              Well, what I was thinking was modelling it like the birthmark is merely a sign of the favor the Patron had for the character since birth (or acquired later, if the character becomes a Wolf-Blooded later). This would, of course, require all such Tells to be patronized by a Spirit (but since the drawback would factor that in, that's kind of the point). The Spirit obligation would replace the existing drawbacks.

Comment

What about a Tell that allows them to take a Wolf Gift? Though some don't seem widely applicable, and they'd need an Essence pool or the ability to spend Willpower instead.

Comment

Two new Tells. One a House-Ruled version of the original Tell in the Pack, another a homebrew.

Primal Instincts <House Rule>
                  The Wolf-Blooded’s mind is flooded with the same predatory drives as her Uratha cousins. Even other Wolf-Blooded comment on her fiery temper, and her approach to all aspects of life as if they were a hunt.

Boon: The Wolf-Blooded is on the same instinctual ‘wavelength’ as the werewolves in her pack. She gains an effective Primal Urge equal to half her Conviction, rounded down (minimum of 1). Without other Tells, though, she gains no access to other benefits like regeneration. But she may perform Pack Tactics as a primary or secondary actor.

Shadow Charmer
                  For some reason, the Wolf-Blooded appears restless and agitated, and is more vulnerable to his own emotions if he hasn't taken the time to center his thoughts. Unless he's done at least one successful meditation in a day, he suffers a -2 penalty to all Composure-related rolls.

Boon: By spending a Willpower point and entering a meditative trance, the Wolf-Blooded can enchant an area up to a radius of 10 yards per dot of Composure with the properties of a Glade for a scene, or until he chooses to end his meditation. If used in an existing Glade, this ability instead increases the penalty to all violent actions by half the Wolf-Blooded's Composure, rounded up.
                  Last edited by Deionscribe; 06-24-2016, 09:22 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                  Age of Azar
                  The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

I figure I might toss in a Custom Tell I came up with, see what everyone thinks.

Loose Grip
                    The Wolf-Blooded's formative years are spent struggling with the material world, they may have difficulty learning to speak, understanding numbers or letters, or have similar problems with anything concrete. As they reach adolescence, this tendency takes a turn for the dangerous.

Boon: If you can call it one, the Wolf-Blooded slides into a state of Twilight whenever they experience a potential Breaking Point, whether or not they succeed in resisting it. This effect lasts for one scene, after which the poor individual fades back into a material state, likely shaken up by the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Solana View Post
                      I figure I might toss in a Custom Tell I came up with, see what everyone thinks.

Loose Grip
                      This one's rather interesting. And I can definitely see this as a blessing in disguise whenever said Breaking Point involves a supernatural attack. How about adding in the option of suppressing the shift to Twilight with a Willpower point?

Anyway, here's another from me. A reimagining of this Merit into an actual Tell.

-=-

Spirit Envoy
                      With dreams haunted by strange visions and nightmarish imagery, the Wolf-Blooded sometimes fails to get a good night's rest. When that happens, he becomes more vulnerable to spiritual influence even in his waking moments. Whenever he sleeps for the first time under a given moon phase, the character rolls Resolve + Composure. On a Failure, he suffers from the Open Condition keyed to all spirits until the next phase. On a Dramatic Failure, he also suffers from the Soul Shocked Condition.

Boon: The Wolf-Blooded is deeply attuned to the occult symbols of the Shadow, and can learn rituals normally reserved to the Uratha in the pack. He can learn and perform Wolf and Pack Rites as if he were a Werewolf.
                      Last edited by Deionscribe; 06-27-2016, 08:30 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                      Age of Azar
                      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

That Spirit Envoy one is underwhelming, given other three core tells allows that plus a proper boon, nevermind the steep drawback.

Comment

Ghoul
                          An unnatural hunger fills the wolf-blooded within view of the dead. If they give into that hunger, they suffer a Breaking Point roll. Rather than the standard Conditions, on a Failure they are afflicted with the Addicted Condition, with a taste for dead flesh. On a Dramatic Failure they receive the Delusional Condition, believing that they are the one they've devoured.

Boon: If they give into that hunger, the spirits of the dead will share secrets that might otherwise be lost. With each bite, the memories of the deceased flow into the ghoul's mind. Finding a specific secret or memory without eating the entire body requires a point of Willpower that allows a Presence + Empathy roll to discover. This can be contested by the Resistance of the dead's ghost, if it has one, or an undead's Resolve.

If you don't like the name, I figure Barghest, Bone Gnawer or Necrophage fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ephsy View Post
                            That Spirit Envoy one is underwhelming, given other three core tells allows that plus a proper boon, nevermind the steep drawback.
                            Which Tells were those?

Also, regarding Spirit Envoy, I've been thinking of removing the Soul Shocked Condition on a Dramatic Failure. Not to mention revising the Tell's Boon so that it's not a rewrite of that Wolf's Envoy Tell. How about this version? Granted, it's still very rough, but I'm hoping to revise this over the next few days.

-=-

Spirit Envoy
                            With dreams haunted by strange visions and nightmarish imagery, the Wolf-Blooded sometimes fails to get a good night's rest. When that happens, he becomes more vulnerable to spiritual influence even in his waking moments. Whenever he sleeps for the first time under a given moon phase, the character rolls Resolve + Composure. On a Failure, he does not regain a Willpower point. Sleeping within the influence of a Locus applies its dot rating as a penalty to the roll.

Boon: The Wolf-Blooded is capable of 'riding' spirits up to a Rank equal to his dots in Resolve. This functions like the Possess Manifestation, except the character rolls a dice pool of Presence + Manipulation.

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                            Ghoul
                            An unnatural hunger fills the wolf-blooded within view of the dead. If they give into that hunger, they suffer a Breaking Point roll. Rather than the standard Conditions, on a Failure they are afflicted with the Addicted Condition, with a taste for dead flesh. On a Dramatic Failure they receive the Delusional Condition, believing that they are the one they've devoured.

Boon: If they give into that hunger, the spirits of the dead will share secrets that might otherwise be lost. With each bite, the memories of the deceased flow into the ghoul's mind. Finding a specific secret or memory without eating the entire body requires a point of Willpower that allows a Presence + Empathy roll to discover. This can be contested by the Resistance of the dead's ghost, if it has one, or an undead's Resolve.

If you don't like the name, I figure Barghest, Bone Gnawer or Necrophage fit.
                            I'd say Bone Gnawer. Or maybe even Bonechewer. Barghest is already taken for a Gift Facet, and Necrophage is too 'scientific'.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                            Age of Azar
                            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Bone Gnaw is the Gift Facet the dice roll is taken from. In my game we call werewolves with a tendency towards Death Gifts Barghests, whether or not they have the Gift. I like Ghoul because the Boon and its drawbacks are taken from stories about ghouls, but some don't like using the same term for multiple things.

Bloodhound, or Blood Sense
                              The eyes of a Wolf-Blooded with this Tell are always bloodshot, and while using their Boon, veins bulge grotesquely around their eyes.

Boon: If the Bloodhound has tasted the blood of another, they can spend a point of Willpower to see through their eyes for an hour for each dot of Resolve the Wolf-Blooded has. While using this ability they can still move but are unable to see through their own eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                                Bone Gnaw is the Gift Facet the dice roll is taken from. In my game we call werewolves with a tendency towards Death Gifts Barghests, whether or not they have the Gift. I like Ghoul because the Boon and its drawbacks are taken from stories about ghouls, but some don't like using the same term for multiple things.
                                Hmm. Good point.

As for your other Tell, I'd go with Bloodhound.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                                Age of Azar
                                The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Working...
                                X