No announcement yet.

Suthilu, the Bat Host

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooooh, I like these. There are caves all over the place in my current game's setting. Will need to see if I can work them in.

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
    Rasing this thread from the dead while checking on my past works.

I'm not sure about what can be done with the Bats, since they have their Dread Powers and description, but the more I look at them, the more I feel like they're lacking something. Perhaps it's just a matter of me writing them a while ago when I was barely familiar with the Forsaken's 2nd Edition, perhaps something else, but I'd like to know if there's something you think that could be done to improve them. I asked the same while updating my Bee Host and the suggestions helped me a lot.

So, anything you'd like to see me doing with my Bats? Either corrections, new stuff or anything else. No wrong answers here, just shoot.

And thanks!

EDIT: For starters, I can try to check what I wrote and clean it up a little, that's for sure.
    More Dread Powers are always nice to see, if you have any ideas.

The only thing I'm a bit hazy on is how the bats' activities are masked. The kind of violence that a Colony spreads when it wakes is pretty overt. Which I love, it's extremely gruesome and in keeping with their views, but it seems difficult to keep a secret for very long. Presumably it's just that they mostly end up in rural areas, coupled with the fact that a full Colony attack is a pretty rare occurrence?

Beyond that, the more radical idea I had while reading was that it would be interesting if the Suthilu had some kind of Rite-equivalent. Ritual sorcery sort of suits the idea of these Black Sun visions and could tie into other elements of their behaviour, like if a particularly difficult Rite were necessary to rouse the Colony, but that could also be handled easily enough without explicit mechanics.

Either way, super cool write-up, and thank you very much for raising the topic up again. It's given me all sorts of fun ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Azahul View Post
      Ooooh, I like these. There are caves all over the place in my current game's setting. Will need to see if I can work them in.

More Dread Powers are always nice to see, if you have any ideas.

The only thing I'm a bit hazy on is how the bats' activities are masked. The kind of violence that a Colony spreads when it wakes is pretty overt. Which I love, it's extremely gruesome and in keeping with their views, but it seems difficult to keep a secret for very long. Presumably it's just that they mostly end up in rural areas, coupled with the fact that a full Colony attack is a pretty rare occurrence?

Beyond that, the more radical idea I had while reading was that it would be interesting if the Suthilu had some kind of Rite-equivalent. Ritual sorcery sort of suits the idea of these Black Sun visions and could tie into other elements of their behaviour, like if a particularly difficult Rite were necessary to rouse the Colony, but that could also be handled easily enough without explicit mechanics.

Either way, super cool write-up, and thank you very much for raising the topic up again. It's given me all sorts of fun ideas.
      Thank you.

About the Bats' activities, it's pretty much as you said. They hide away from civilization, sleep for long periods of time and rarely act in unison, so that's what allows them to remain out of sight. Once the Suthilu come out to play though, they indeed are quite bad at keeping a low profile. Which of course means it won't take long for Uratha to identify the threat and go hunting. Lone Bats or really small groups behave like you would expect blood-crazed maniacs to behave, which is not a good thing but is manageable, but a real colony attack makes things escalate really quickly. It's part lack of subtlety, part innate thirst for bloodshed and part insane recklessness: most Suthilu don't care about the consequences until they taste the claws of the wolves and remember why the Uratha are scary.

Out of setting, back in the day I wrote them that way to act as a mirror to my Bees, which are both disciplined, composed and care about the health of the Shadow in their own twisted way. The Bats also have generous traces of Apocalypse's Black Spiral Dancers and W40K Night Lords in their DNA, just to give a clearer image of how I picture them.

Also, thanks for your suggestions. I'll think about those and see if I can come up with something interesting!
      Last edited by Cinder; 07-04-2018, 07:46 AM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Working...
      X