Pangaea Unleashed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Claire Redfield View Post

Also, there is a type of Iris that leads mages into the Gauntlet itself. They become compressed and the world outside is all huge and distorted. Lends perhaps further credence to the idea that the Gauntlet is like a super-dense collapsed Pangaea, which makes one wonder if the process can be reversed....
    Where is this referenced?

Imperial Mysteries? Mage 2e? Somewhere in Dark Eras?

Comment

• Originally posted by branford View Post
      Where is this referenced?

Imperial Mysteries? Mage 2e? Somewhere in Dark Eras?
      Mage 2E. Which, I feel pretty confident, will blow your mind with how awesome it is.

Freelancer • Available for work!

Comment

• Originally posted by Claire Redfield View Post

Mage 2E. Which, I feel pretty confident, will blow your mind with how awesome it is.

Citing Mage 2e before its release is both cheating and cruel.

Did you write the pertinent 2e material? Have the small fishy creatures living in the Gauntlet from Summoners been retconned out of existence?

Also, I assume that the collapse of Pangaea can be reversed by simply finding Father Wolf's soul shards and reuniting them with his carcass in the First Wound. Piece of cake...

Comment

• Originally posted by branford View Post
          Citing Mage 2e before its release is both cheating and cruel.

Did you write the pertinent 2e material? Have the small fishy creatures living in the Gauntlet from Summoners been retconned out of existence?

Also, I assume that the collapse of Pangaea can be reversed by simply finding Father Wolf's soul shards and reuniting them with his carcass in the First Wound. Piece of cake...
          I didn't write it. To be fair, it's just one sentence of a paragraph in the section about Irises, but it's a cool one with a lot of story implications. The Vergelings from Summoners are still a thing, so far as I know, and I intend to use them myself.

Freelancer • Available for work!

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post

It has Mind 5.
            I am aparantly blind. I only just now saw it.

Comment

• Originally posted by cmwatford View Post

Mind 5 working as intended...

Comment

• Originally posted by cmwatford View Post
                I cannot judge you, it took me multiple reads to notice that too!

Comment

• The book said that they can be as 'weak' as rank 3 and I'm wondering what such an entity would seem like and how their Omphalos Stones would manifest differently than stronger pangaeans? Also anything 'rumor' worthy for what the Great Predator's Omphalos Stone would be like?

Comment

• Originally posted by Faster-Than-FedEx View Post
                    The book said that they can be as 'weak' as rank 3 and I'm wondering what such an entity would seem like and how their Omphalos Stones would manifest differently than stronger pangaeans? Also anything 'rumor' worthy for what the Great Predator's Omphalos Stone would be like?
                    It's possible the higher the rank the more shards a soul can have. Bull and Bird gifted parts of their souls and were still out and about.

As for Mother Wolf, I can't think of any stones that really resonate with the idea, but considering the section was written after the last book to have come out related to Werewolf or Mage there might not be anything 'official.' If there's rumors when the Pack comes out I'm sure there will be posts about it.

There might not be an omphalos stone, depending on how Mother Wolf was killed. In a battle with the Firstborn and Uratha versus the First Pack and their progenitor and who knows what else it may have been destroyed. But I wouldn't expect that to be stated, as the idea of it is too good a plot hook to really block off like that.
                    Last edited by nofather; 04-02-2016, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post

FOX
                      [...]
                      Awesome, thanks a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
                        It's possible the higher the rank the more shards a soul can have. Bull and Bird gifted parts of their souls and were still out and about.
                        I would say that many supernatural's power stats basically symbolize, how much of their soul's potential was realized. Blood Potency, Wyrd and especially Gnosis. What the Bull and Bird did amounts to essentially creating Soul Stones. It probably lowered their powers present in their own bodies a bit, but they can normally move around like mages can. I would rule the amount of shards they can create to be their Rank x2 (Gnosis 5 mage really doesn't equal in power to a rank 5 Pangean. Gnosis 10 mage on the other hand...), maybe adding -1 representing the shard that has to stay in them so that they can exist. The -1 wouldnt apply if the heart is taken unvoluntarily from a dead Pangean, naturally.

This made me realize, maybe the mages (Hollow Keepers) *did* learn how to create Soul Stones thanks to observing the shards/act of their severing and Omphalos hearts. Bull's children apparently made a Legacy by understanding Bull's Omphalos stones, so why not? Also, if the shards are like Soul Stones... delicious, delicious Sympathy for casting spells on the Pangean that granted them.
                        Last edited by Prometheus; 04-03-2016, 11:06 AM.

Comment

• I'm not sure why I was surprised at how horrifying Fox is physically, considering how the two great Hosts' progenitors have always been described (to say nothing of Bull's incidentally-mentioned ten-thousand hooves).

Though now I'm wondering what more abstract Pangaeans like Harvest and the seasonal divinities looked like.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                          Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Suddenly, the corrupted visage of Violence Maeltinents taking the assumed form of Urfarah complete with chainsaw-like teeth doesn't seems so out of place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ephsy View Post
                              Suddenly, the corrupted visage of Violence Maeltinents taking the assumed form of Urfarah complete with chainsaw-like teeth doesn't seems so out of place.
                              Ditto the False Father's "improvements."

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                              Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• As before with Fox, this is unofficial, it is first draft, and it is subject to change or disavowment as per my whims. So here's Harvest, a lower-ranking Pangaean:

HARVEST

​Harvest is a Pangaean of autumn, a shambling divinity of the plentifulness and the hunger that follows the growing season - the time when animals run fat with the bounty from which they feed, and when all must look to eat their fill before the coming of winter. Harvest is not the agricultural, pastoral gathering of the world under humankind but rather the natural cycle which that emerges from. Harvest is always, always hungry.

The Pangaean resembles no known animal. It is huge, so large as to shatter trees then gnaw on their splintered trunks. Powerful, elephantine legs support Harvest's immense bulk, while wiry and surprisingly deft limbs sprout from her front and flanks. Her maw is a forest of mandibles, slicing pincers, fangs, talons, hooks and scissoring blades of bone that meticulously disassemble anything the divinity decides to try and eat. This is not a swift process. Harvest is always hungry, but she is always painstaking in her meals when she has the luxury of time; her thousand-toothed mouth works with methodical effort to strip the food to pieces, layer by layer, piece by piece, seperating all the different parts and substances so that they can be best made use of in the divine fires of her gut. She pays no heed to the state of her food; a human caught in Harvest's maw will die over agonising hours as they find themselves slowly, cautiously pulled apart. The maw and head, wide like the hood of a cobra, also play host to Harvest's many eyes; large, surprisingly human and thoughtful. The features of her head and her carapaced back are strangely abstract, almost ephemeral compared to the brutal physicality of her mouth; dangling tendrils and fungus-like growths emit a soft luminescence and form a matted tangled cloak over the carapace.

Harvest, Watchful and Ravenous
                                Rank 4 Pangaean
                                Power 12 Finesse 10 Resistance 12
                                Willpower 10 Essence 25
                                Initiative 22 Defence 12 Speed 25
                                Size 20 Corpus 32

Influences: Hunger 4, Foraging 2
                                Numina: Awe, Dement, Entropic Decay, Hallucination, Rapture, Regenerate, Stalwart
                                Arcana: Matter 4
                                Ban: Harvest must offer audience and refrain from hostility to anyone who comes to her bearing a gift of food, although she is not bound further if the offer of audience is refused or if the visitor acts against her.
                                Bane: The names of 44 humans from the same community who all died of starvation, carved or inscribed into something; the created talisman or weapon only retains power for 44 days after the death of the last of the starving humans.

Bountiful Presence: Any plant or animal (including humans) that enters Harvest's presence is touched by the Pangaean's power. Consuming the fruits, grains or flesh from such living beings within 44 days of Harvest's presence has several beneficial effects on the consumer – their hunger is completely sated and, for 44 days, they heal at twice the normal rate and can go for twice the usual time without food and without water before starting to suffer damage from either lack.
                                Divine Bleed: The first time in a scene that she suffers Corpus damage, Harvest may reflexively use the Awe, Dement, Hallucination or Rapture Numina for free. Any time she suffers damage, Harvest may reflexively use her Influence (Hunger) for free or cause a harvestman to form from the ichors that splash on the ground.
                                Harvester: Harvest is immune to any form of poison, venom, toxin, befoulment, curse or supernatural effect that she would suffer from eating something (including via a grapple). When a victim in her grapple is killed, Harvest gains 5 Essence and the ability to inflict any sort of poison, toxin, curse etc that might have been resident in the victim's flesh through her own melee attacks. Such harvested powers remain available to Harvest for 44 minutes, or 44 days in the case of a supernatural victim.
                                Monstrous Form: Harvest has Armour 12, and may spend 1 Essence to shrug off any Tilt she experiences. These benefits do not apply to attacks from her Banes.
                                Overwhelming Presence: A mortal human who encounters Harvest suffers an Integrity breaking point. If this roll is failed, the character gains the Madness persistent condition.
                                Seer of All: Harvest can detect lies and see through illusions perfectly; she is completely aware of the true nature and location of everything within 44 yards of her. She can never be surprised or ambushed. Whenever a character succeeds at a perception check within Harvest's presence, the Pangaean gains 1 point of Essence; she may spend 1 point of Willpower to immediately gain access to all of that character's memories for 44 days. For any character whom she has access to the memories of in this way, Harvest may manifest directly in their Oneiros if she meditates into the Astral, from wherein she may harvest and consume their Oneiros and everything in it to refill her Willpower and Essence pools over a period of 44 minutes.
                                Vivisect: Harvest benefits from the rote quality on grapple checks, and on a successful grapple may inflict one point of aggravated damage and a persistent Arm Wrack, Blinded or Leg Wrack Tilt on her opponent as well as the usual effects of succeeding. When inflicting damage with a grapple, Harvest' attacks have 5 points of armour piercing and ignore 5 points of durability.

The spirit fragments hewn from Harvest's flesh come in a myriad of shapes, each reflecting a facet of their mistress-mother's thoughts or nature. Sometimes they are spindly-legged spiders with shredding mouths like the Pangaean's; sometimes they are tottering things of thorny stems and oozing meat with claws that grasp and tear. They skitter and scuttle in search of meals to bring back home with them, whereupon they press into Harvest's flesh until it puckers with teeth and grasping hands to pull them back within with a bloody, rending embrace. Although spirits, harvestmen are always materialised.

Harvestman
                                Rank 1 spirit
                                Power 2 Finesse 4 Resistance 2
                                Willpower 6 Essence 10
                                Initiative 6 Defence 4 Speed 16
                                Size 4 Corpus 6

Influences: Hunger 1
                                Numina: Drain, Harvest, Speed
                                Harvest: The harvestman's attacks have 2 points of armour piercing and ignore 2 points of durability. The harvestman may spend 1 Essence to make any Arm Wrack, Blinded or Leg Wrack Tilt it inflicts persistent, removing the relevant body part from the victim; if the harvestman can make it back to Harvest, it is reabsorbed into her and she regains 5 Essence and 1 point of Willpower.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer & Developer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Working...
                                X