Pangaea Unleashed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
    Yup, the target is destroyed - or rather, turns out to have ceased to exist some time ago.
    Nice and creepy. Very demonic in the vein of the Unchained.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

• Acrozatarim: I had an idea for a Pangaean so I read through Fox, Harvest and Reflection for inspiration since they are both awesome and the closest to official Pangaeans we have.
      I have a few questions: How do you classify the secondary powers like Divine Bleed and Monstrous Form? Dread Powers or Numina, perhaps? More importantly, how do you determine how many a given Pangaean should have? They seem to follow the guideline for the number of Numina, except Reflection falls one short.
      I also wonder if Divine Bleed, Monstrous Form and Overwhelming Presence apply to all Pangaeans or if it's more of a coincident all three share those.
      And if you don't want to answer it here, would it be a fitting request on Patreon to ask for expanded rules and guidelines to create Pangaeans? Unfortunately my income is limited, but I don't think I'm the only one who'd like that.
      Last edited by Tessie; 04-28-2018, 08:40 AM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• I know I intend to one day ask for a pangean in modern day. A pangean of birth and life, sort of a gaia pangean stuck in modern day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blakemikizuki View Post
          I know I intend to one day ask for a pangean in modern day. A pangean of birth and life, sort of a gaia pangean stuck in modern day.
          I'm voting Easter Bunny, if so.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Just so everyone knows,y'all can ask for Chris to write Pangaeans for you for five bucks on his patreon

Comment

• Enjoy!

BIRD
              Do not make the mistake of believing Bird is benevolent. Yes, she is the pre-eminent of the Vinca pantheon, standing alongside Bull in the eyes of the people. Yes, she has gifted splinters of her heart to the Wise, and watches over the villages and the old and the women. These things are part of who and what she is, but none of them make her kind. Bird is ancient, cold-hearted, and ice-eyed. Her vision pierces the distance, the future and the past alike. She sees the unvarnished truths of all things. She has given her patronage to humanity because she sees what is to come. She is not ancient, merely coterminous with distant aeons—and those ages yet to pass. Bird plans for the future.

Bird is a colossus of feathers and wings, bright staring eyes and savage talons. She is a maelstrom of avian form, carved out of flesh and strange, impressionistic shapes. The very presence of Bird warps the world around her, extending or contracting distances—especially dizzying heights and plunging drops. The Pangaean takes a cruel pleasure in inflicting pain upon those who cross her path and displease her; her claws can flay a human with trivial ease, plucking out pulsating organs to observe and consider with clinically cold interest. Sometimes, Bird comes in other forms—a woman, a flock of brightly-plumaged birds, a storm—but she is in no way diminished in these shapes. She remains a god, capable of crushing one of the Wise with a finger even if appearing as a slender girl.

Bird, like Bull, often slips into Flesh and Shadow to perpetrate her schemes. She does so only on swift jaunts, cloaking herself from the piercing gaze of Wolf as best she can. The Pangaean respects and fears the boundary god despite her power; where stubborn, belligerent Bull will openly clash with the Great Predator until he is exhausted and can be dragged back into Pangaea in Wolf’s jaws, Bird has no such intention of letting herself be weakened in open conflict. Better to orchestrate her plans quietly, so that she can lay foundations that will bear fruit in millennia to come without interference.

Bird, Cerulean and Cruel
              Rank 7 Pangaean

As a Rank 7 entity, Bird does not operate within the usual rules framework. Her capabilities cannot be reduced to a few dice pools. Still, she possesses several characteristics that are worth noting, and her mere presence can radically influence a scene.

Influences: Birds 7, Change 4, Cruelty 3
              Arcana: Time 5, Space 2
              Ban: Bird must offer audience and refrain from hostility to anyone who comes to her wearing blue, although she is not bound further if the offer of audience is refused or if the visitor acts against it.
              Bane: Bird’s Bane is no longer part of reality; she still has a Bane, but supernatural attempts to determine specifically what it is are met only with the sense of a frayed edge where the Pangaean tore the concept out of existence.

Cruel Grasp: Whenever a character succeeds at a roll involving acting cruelly to another or causing them harm in the presence of Bird, the Pangaean gains 1 point of Essence. She may, if she wishes, initiate a Clash of Wills against the target which, being a divinity, she wins. This causes the target to no longer be anchored in time, moving their existence to any other point in time that Bird is coterminous with that she chooses. She may also, if she wishes, tear their soul out in the process; souls acquired in this way might be tortured, eaten, shoved into birds, used to create bizarre avian Claimed, or also moved to another point in time and placed in the body of an unsuspecting victim who finds themselves overwritten by the soul and personality of someone from an entirely different era. She may spend a Willpower point to extend the range on this power to the entire globe, rather than just her immediate presence.

Fateful Patterns: Any supernatural powers that provide auguries, seek to predict destinies, or offer up answers as to fate’s plans benefit from the rote quality if used in Bird’s presence. Doing so causes Bird to suffer an injury that spills blood and screaming avians, scabbing over in a canker of wildly staring eyes. Bird also becomes aware of the information gleaned by the power and can, if she chooses, retroactively cause the power to dramatically fail instead; she still retains the knowledge gained but the diviner will not, and will suffer the usual consequences of a dramatic failure.

Feather Transmogrification: A character who is injured in the presence of Bird bleeds bloody feathers, a grisly experience that leaves the victim with quills stabbing into their wounds. The corpse of a character who perishes erupts into a flock of ravenous birds, each flying away with a scrap of carrion in their claws and beaks. Rarely, instead, it creates an avian monstrosity with something of the guise of a human. A character who leaves Bird wounded and with feathers still budding from their raw meat will lose a memory or have some facet of their personality permanently change; if they are clear-minded and focused, a successful Resolve + Composure roll allows them to choose what they lose or change before it takes effect.

Many Shapes: As well as her normal form, Bird has many other shapes, all of which possess the same attributes and abilities and which it costs nothing for her to shift to. As well as her large, true shape, Bird can take the form of a normal bird, a normal human, an otherworldly blend of human and divine avian, a flock of birds, a storm, a bolt of lightning, a sense of cruel satisfaction in the suffering of others, the gleaming light on a knife’s sharp edge, or the sudden realization that one has been manipulated into serving the agenda of another. In her more abstract forms, Bird has no immediate physical substance, but is still just as capable of acting.

Overwhelming Presence: A mortal human who encounters Bird suffers an Integrity breaking point. If this roll is failed, the character gains the Madness persistent condition.

Perspective Dominion: By observing a thing, Bird can cause its effective Size to be divided by up to 7 or multiplied up to 7, and can alter her perspective on the target reflexively to change the extent of this effect at any time.

Sunder Kindness: A character in Bird’s presence cannot regain Willpower or Mana from any act that involves kindness, charity, or mercy towards another. Supernatural powers that would bestow healing on another instead inflict the damage they would restore onto the character. Speaking a kind word for another causes one of the character’s eyes to squirm then pop out of their skull; a bird pushes itself free from the meat of the socket, slick with blood and with the eye firmly in its beak, dealing 1 point of aggravated damage and obviously blinding the character in that eye. If the bird is able to fly away and swallow the eyeball, it will forever see what the character sees with their remaining eye, and will chatter and sing any secrets they see to Bird.

Vertigo Warp: When Bird is present in a scene, all distances up and down are quadrupled, except for movement by flight. This can make small drops into lethal falls. If Bird wishes, she can alter which direction is down at will. Bird possesses many other capabilities, but they largely pertain to the dealings and interactions of godly beings and are of little concern to those of the world of Flesh.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer: Forsaken & Awakening 2nd Edition / The Pack / Dark Eras 1 & 2 / The Contagion Chronicle / Idigam Anthology / Night Horrors: Nameless & Accursed and Shunned by the Moon / Trinity Aeon / Aeon Aexpansion / And more besides...

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

• Yay!

Will read a moment later.

EDIT:

Sunder Kindness may be the source of the Halaku, Fateful Patterns and Perspective Dominion sounds like how the Perspective came to be, and Cruel Grasp is just plain delicious to use in a story. And the general emphasis on cruel avians make me wonder if a part of Bird is in or is a certain Dark Place...

Oh, and it seems Overwhelming Presence is the only truly universal Pangaean power. Perhaps Divine Bleed and Monstrous Form are for supplementing lesser Pangaean’s immediate “encounter level?” And Many Shapes fittingly sounds like something animal-like Pangaeans share. Oh, and it seems every Pangaean so far also has a “screw with souls” power.
                Last edited by 21C Hermit; 05-31-2018, 07:31 AM.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

• I find birds very creepy, this certainly doesn't help. Well done.

Comment

• Bird is the word. How the hell did the Wise convince that thing to help them?

Also, I like how Cruel Grasp is such an excellent excuse to have temporally displaced characters, both forwards and backwards in time. The non-tangible forms BIrd can take are also cool.

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
                    He/His Pronouns
                    CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                      Bird is the word. How the hell did the Wise convince that thing to help them?
                      It sounds like it gifted the Wise with heart-stones to begin with, the Wise not being involved with it and, when asking for more, were rejected.

Given the cruel and plotting nature of Bird it doesn't take too much of a leap to figure out the why. Mages see omphalos stones, mages start wanting more, mages reap Fox and others.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post

It sounds like it gifted the Wise with heart-stones to begin with, the Wise not being involved with it and, when asking for more, were rejected.

Given the cruel and plotting nature of Bird it doesn't take too much of a leap to figure out the why. Mages see omphalos stones, mages start wanting more, mages reap Fox and others.
                        That is certainly possible!

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
                        He/His Pronouns
                        CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post

Bird: "Come on, the first hit is free."

I wonder if Pig exists and is Bird's hated enemy...

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                            Bird is the word. How the hell did the Wise convince that thing to help them?

Also, I like how Cruel Grasp is such an excellent excuse to have temporally displaced characters, both forwards and backwards in time. The non-tangible forms BIrd can take are also cool.
                            The Wise didn't convinced Bird of anything. It has practical omniscience. Bird's design could spam Aeons, because much like Dr. Manhattan, it's consciousness exists immutable across time.

Comment

• Wait. Wait. Wait.

Bird TORE HER BANE OUT OF EXISTENCE?!

What the fuck.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
                              Work Blog Coming Soon
                              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                              Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

• You use what's available to you. Pangaeans are heavily magical. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a lodge of werewolves dedicated to the destruction of silver in the world.

Comment

Working...
                                X