Clear All

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
    Trust me, it is so very worth it.
    I did it and it immediately proved to be a good decision

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

• So I'm assuming the Either/Or nature of these powers is that once one is used within a certain timeframe(we'll assume a scene, but it could be any of the other units), the opposite can't be used?

Also, damn, we gotta gets Bull and Wolf too.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
      Work Blog Coming Soon
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

• I'll pop Snake up in this thread in a bit. The Either/Or effects can switch at whatever rate the Storyteller chooses, whether from turn to turn, scene to scene, or day to day.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer: Forsaken & Awakening 2nd Edition / The Pack / Dark Eras 1 & 2 / The Contagion Chronicle / Idigam Anthology / Night Horrors: Nameless & Accursed and Shunned by the Moon / Trinity Aeon / Aeon Aexpansion / And more besides...

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
          I'll pop Snake up in this thread in a bit. The Either/Or effects can switch at whatever rate the Storyteller chooses, whether from turn to turn, scene to scene, or day to day.
          Your timing is impeccable. :P

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

• SNAKE
            Snake is the coiling, writhing twin-reflection-sister-foe-friend-lover of Bird, a tangled mess of contradictions, mania, despair, and sharply lucid moments of divine insight. She is poison and salvation, a mother’s kind warmth and the bitter sting of spiteful betrayal, seer of possibilities and prisoner of paranoia. The Vinca revere Snake for her dualities, her manifold aspects all rolled up together despite their conflicts. They invoke her to heal and to harm, to bring good fortune, and see her as reflecting that which lies within each person—the internal clashes of the many aspects that make up identity and individuality. She is seen as god of benevolent waters—not that the river is always kind, but because it is a giver of life, and in contrast to the vast, merciless hunger of the sea.

Snake is infinite in length, an unending mass of viridian scales over crimson flesh, undulating and twisting and writhing without end. She can stretch from one horizon to the other, or coil up into the heights; she can fill every nook of a tangle of burrows, or encircle the whole world. Her heads are sharp-angled presences bearing a fractal mass of eyes and fangs, and those who peer too close at her squamous bulk see reflected in those lacquered scales a thousand thousand brief, flickering images of possible futures. Snake delights in helping people—to an extent. A wound may be healed, or a portent uttered, because Snake loves the Vinca, but she might also shatter a limb or vomit forth an unwelcome truth, because sometimes adversity now might forge a brighter future later. Sometimes she falls into a cold, slow gloom, a despairing state wherein she can do naught but shed tears of venom and lament; other times she is possessed by a manic intensity where everything is redoubled—her passions, her anger, her love. Snake has been known to take consorts from among the spirit gods and the people of the earth, and birthed a strange myriad of children.

When Snake is wounded and her divine blood flows forth, it pools in bubbling wells of immanent gore that reflect alien, unreal skies. Sometimes, she reaches up into the void far above, and swallows down the emptiness to hollow out her insides, sloughing away her interior into nothing and becoming naught but surface thoughts and skin for a while. When Luna descends into Pangaea, Snake loves to seek the boundary god out and curl around it, to susurrate songs and lick Luna’s scars with her thousand-forked tongue.

Snake, Viridian and Delirious

Rank 7 Pangaean

As a Rank 7 entity, Snake does not operate within the usual rules framework. Her capabilities cannot be reduced to a few dice pools. Still, she possesses several characteristics that are worth noting, and her mere presence can radically influence a scene. Some of her unique qualities vary from encounter to encounter, or can even change moment to moment.

Influences: Snakes 7, Healing 4, Water 3

Arcana: Fate 5, Life 2

Ban: Snake must offer audience and refrain from hostility to anyone who comes to her wearing green, although she is not bound further if the offer of audience is refused or if the visitor acts against it.

Bane: A human who is the seventh child of a seventh child, whose entire family are dead, they have rejected, or have been rejected by, so that the human is utterly alone. The human cannot possess the True Friend merit, and

Interweaving Coils: A character in the presence of Snake has their perception affected depending on the number of friends, family, allies, lovers, or other close or intimate characters present in the scene with them. If 5-6 such individuals are present, the character can see with perfect, absolute clarity everything within line of sight, with no loss of detail due to distance, gains a +7 bonus to Initiative when acting alongside these characters, can perfectly read their emotions and intent, and can see any destinies or fates that hang upon them—particularly those of future love or betrayal that involve the character. Should there be 3-4 such characters, the character see normally, but can also witness any suffering, wounds, debilitations, or frailties they bear, and can spend a point of Willpower to alleviate any penalties they may be suffering for a number of turns equal to Resolve. If only 1-2 such individuals are present, the world seems too dark or too bright; all perception past 77 yards becomes vague at best, and even within that area it is difficult to see, but touching one of the other characters alleviates this problem for as long as skin contact is maintained. If the character is without any such friends, allies, or family, they can see nothing but Snake herself—all else is pitch black, although the Pangaean is stark and bright.

Delirious Reality/Stark Clarity: EITHER By interacting with a character in any way, Snake can modify its breaking point rolls by a modifier of up to 7 or -7, and can invert the effects of the Madness Condition – causing it to grant bonus dice instead of penalties for the remainder of the chapter. Furthermore, anyone who fails a breaking point in Snake’s presence can alter the scene in some way, introducing an element of up to their Willpower in Size, value in Resources dots, or equipment bonus. This introduced element is permanent—even if an entirely new person. OR The Madness and Fugue Conditions are quelled in Serpent’s presence. Any supernatural attempts to determine truth from lies or pierce deception or concealment cast while in Snake’s presence benefit from the rote quality, although this also causes a deadly serpent venom to manifest in the caster’s blood and inflict the grave Poisoned Tilt upon them, and inflicts the Blinded Tilt on Snake for one turn for every purpose except perceiving that which has been revealed.

Many Shapes: As well as her normal form, Snake has many other shapes, all of which possess the same attributes and abilities and which it costs nothing for her to shift to. As well as her large, true shape, Snake can take the form of a normal snake, a normal human, an otherworldly blend of human and divine snake, a tangled and knotted mass of snakes, a drip of venom, an unlikely twist of fate, a river, an unexpected death, or a plague. In her more abstract forms, Snake has no immediate physical substance, but is still just as capable of acting.

Overwhelming Presence: A mortal human who encounters Snake suffers an Integrity breaking point. If this roll is failed, the character gains the Madness persistent condition.

Poisoned Love: Whenever a character succeeds at a roll involving healing. kindness or love towards another in the presence of Snake, the Pangaean gains 1 point of Essence. She may, if she wishes, engage the target in a Clash of Wills—which she likely triumphs in, being a deity—which allows her to transmogrify their identity and soul into an entirely different person who has made quite different choices to result in their presence in the scene, but still possessed of a tie or bond towards the one they have aided or loved. She may also tear their soul out in the process; souls acquired in this way are taken into Snake and gestated into strange new serpentine life forms, tearing their way out of her divine flesh when the soulless victim perishes.

Tangled Fates: Should a character successfully grapple another character in Snake’s presence, all damage during the grapple on either behalf is upgraded to aggravated. Furthermore, whenever one deals damage to the other, they also destroy a number of Merit dots in the process, as probability-quakes and quivering ripples through the entangled destinies unleash bizarre, catastrophic circumstances—this can affect more than just social merits such as Allies, even scouring fundamental capabilities out of the victim. Sanctity of Merits applies, but when it comes to reacquiring the lost merits, context matters—lost Allies or Contacts may be dead, an artefact irretrievable, etc—and someone who has lost Ambidexerity due to a quirk of fate echoing back through their timeline cannot simply remanifest such lost capabilities. Furthermore, should both characters survive, then upon leaving Snake’s presence, their fates remain entangled for seven years. During this time, whenever one achieves an exceptional success, the next roll on the part of the other will be an exceptional success as well; and the same with dramatic failures. An exceptional or dramatic result propagated in this way does not then trigger another; it will not cascade into an infinite flow, producing only a single consequence upon each naturally-rolled effect.

Twist of Malice/Dominion of Life: EITHER When a character kills another sentient being in Snake’s presence, one of their arms writhes, shivers, and tears free of the socket, inflicting the permanent Arm Wrack Tilt as it becomes a snake that crawls away to Snake’s coiling mass. It also takes one of the character’s Aspirations with it; until Snake deigns to give it back, or the character swallows a live snake whole, that Aspiration slot is entirely gone and cannot be benefited from, changed, or otherwise utilised. If the snake reaches Snake with its metaphysical cargo, Snake may then decide that achieving that Aspiration is impossible, applying a -7 penalty to the character’s dice pools that would lead to its achievement, or inevitable, applying the same dice penalty to the character’s dice rolls that would put off or avoid the aspiration being achieved. Snake may decide this even for Aspirations that were chosen as things that the player wants rather than specific aspirations the character themselves yearns for. OR When a character heals another sentient being in Snake’s presence, their tongue writhes and tears free, dropping from their mouth as a small serpent. The tongue will never regrow, even with magic or regeneration, but the serpent lovingly coils round the healer’s wrist. Should the character ever suffer death due to their entire health track being filled, the snake will bite their wrist and perish, immediately drawing them back from death and healing them for 7 health levels—even aggravated damage. The healer may, instead, have the snake bite another character who dies, within 7 rounds of their death, to revive them and heal them in the same way, as long as the target is a lover, friend, ally, or family to the healer; again, the snake perishes.

Venomous Despair/Venomous Rapture: EITHER A character who becomes poisoned in Snake’s presence can no longer regain Willpower; the venom infects their very soul, and deals damage not to their health but to their remaining Willpower points. OR A character who becomes poisoned in Snake’s presence gains the Inspired Condition for a skill of their choice. They can transfer the Inspired Condition to another character whom they embrace or kiss within seven days.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer: Forsaken & Awakening 2nd Edition / The Pack / Dark Eras 1 & 2 / The Contagion Chronicle / Idigam Anthology / Night Horrors: Nameless & Accursed and Shunned by the Moon / Trinity Aeon / Aeon Aexpansion / And more besides...

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

• As with Bird, Snake is written up in terms of her effects on the scene, rather than her personal abilities - as a Rank 7 entity, there's not any point trying to stat the actions she can directly take if she so chooses.

Comment

• Thanks for this!!!

But you should know Acrozatarim that Snake's bane is incomplete:

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
                Bane: A human who is the seventh child of a seventh child, whose entire family are dead, they have rejected, or have been rejected by, so that the human is utterly alone. The human cannot possess the True Friend merit, and
                Last edited by lbeaumanior; 07-05-2018, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• Damn, Snake has some serious mental issues there. And not in a vague ”mad” or “psychotic” sense that’s often used (and too many times wrongly) as shorthand for being evil or nonsensical, but something wrong about her. And she’s one of the pillars of the world. *shudder*

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

• The world isn't exactly an ordered place, especially when life comes into play. I dig it, thanks whoever requested it, Snake actually plays a big part in my current game though she's not active on her own.

Comment

• The more I see these wonderful, terrible beast-gods, the more I want to find a way to bring them into my modern game.

Currently Playing: A large, mixed splat game of CofD.
                      As: Seth; Would-be shaman. Wildlife studies major. Wolfblood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gryphon's Feather View Post
                        The more I see these wonderful, terrible beast-gods, the more I want to find a way to bring them into my modern game.
                        All it takes is one incredible Time spell for Fox to make the jump(and completely unravel time from there on) assuming the Wise didn't ward that moment off like hell, and she's among the least of the VInca Pantheon. Bird almost assuredly has provisos to ensure her return, and it's not hard to imagine Snake or Bull wrangling a way to pull it off.

Wolf might also have some provisos, buuuuut that might not be something one wants to explore.

That aside, no, I hear you man.

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

• Originally posted by Gryphon's Feather View Post
                          The more I see these wonderful, terrible beast-gods, the more I want to find a way to bring them into my modern game.
                          What ArcaneArts said, and another way is something like the Hast/UR (spelling?) writeup Acrozatarim did in the Five Pounds of Meat thread; not the gods themselves, but their remnants and husks. Qlippothic Pangaeans, anyone? For Rat and Spider, this includes some uber-Shard that managed to exalt itself close to their progenitor, much like Ariadne (which is another of Acrozatarim’s creations!).

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                            All it takes is one incredible Time spell for Fox to make the jump(and completely unravel time from there on) assuming the Wise didn't ward that moment off like hell, and she's among the least of the VInca Pantheon. Bird almost assuredly has provisos to ensure her return, and it's not hard to imagine Snake or Bull wrangling a way to pull it off.

Wolf might also have some provisos, buuuuut that might not be something one wants to explore.

That aside, no, I hear you man.
                            The Bird is the Word...

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
                            He/His Pronouns
                            CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• Well, there is that old section in the Collection of Horrors for Hunter which speaks about Bird and Snake as fighting each other in modern time. Sure, it was long before the Pangaeans were even mentioned, but still, it is a fun coincidence.

But yeah, modern pangaeans could be something awesome to see.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                              X