No announcement yet.

Dark Era: The Wolf and the Raven

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I can propose a hypothesis to the hotly debated Shieldmaiden question the chapter touches on: while women generally didn't take part in raiding and act as soldiers in military campaigns (if they had there would presumably be more reference to them in the attestation of survivors of Viking raids), women were trained to take up arms in defense of their communities and families. This only further emphasis the SHIELD part of shield maidens - they defended their homes while men were off acting as offensive swords.

So it was obviously far from rare for women to distinguish themselves in combat, or die in noble battle, and be buried with arms accordingly.
    Last edited by glamourweaver; 05-18-2016, 02:18 AM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Yet Teutonic societies have had woman combatants historically, chiefly the longobards who (per the lore) had Freya disguise the women as men with long beards in combat. I might argue that there was no specified information on the matter implies that it was a common practice, not the opposite.

I find myself believing shield maidens to be a thing, behind not only the saga stories, but there was a law in Iceland allowing men to divorce their wives on the grounds of them dressin in armor as men would (see the laxdael saga).

Your hypothesis may well add to the notion of Freya's einherjar, as she does get half of te battle slain to remain in her hall, seperate from Valhalla. I've read that as being a sort of shield to Asgard before, however it wasn't from any scholarly perspective. May well be the same situation.

WoD-Dark Eras!! (Backed for Viking Age Werewolf)

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
        Arcee, I'm going to start calling you Nate. He tries to slip one of those into every game session we have
        Assuming that that "Nate" is me, I think I like you even more now, ArcaneArts.

Freelance OPP. Dark Eras, Shattered Dreams, and counting!

Comment

If it involves a Geist crossover, it's not really thread necromancy, right?

Anyhow, I'm trying to finish making a timeline of The Wolf and The Raven, but man, is it complicated! I really appreciate how focused this chapter was, because the Viking era has more than enough historical background to right several campaign settings out to it.

Wikipedia illustrates it well.

It is cool though that you could plausibly set The Wolf and The Raven anywhere between Montreal and Bagdad if you have a far-ranging/mercenary Pack or Krew. I'm really glad we got this era.

CofD booklists:
          Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

It definitely turned out way better than expected. I just wish the Forsaken and Sin-Eaters shared more space together.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
            Work Blog Coming Soon
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
              It definitely turned out way better than expected. I just wish the Forsaken and Sin-Eaters shared more space together.
              Well, there's no harm in writing up some additional material of our own that's akin to a lot of sections in the Sundered World. That said, would the Lodge of Death be existing at this point in time?

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

Well, there's no harm in writing up some additional material of our own that's akin to a lot of sections in the Sundered World. That said, would the Lodge of Death be existing at this point in time?
                Probably, yeah.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
                Work Blog Coming Soon
                The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
                  That said, would the Lodge of Death be existing at this point in time?
                  ​Yep, it would exist during that era.

- Chris Allen
                  Freelance Writer, Deviant: the Renegade / The Pack / Dark Eras / Werewolf: the Forsaken 2nd Edition / Idigam Anthology / Fallen World Chronicle / Trinity Aeon

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
                    ​Yep, it would exist during that era.
                    And regarding your Fenris-related material, would werewolf Hel be a fallen member of said Lodge?

"My Homebrew Hub"
                    Age of Azar
                    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Exhibit a for why this is an amazingly diverse era to play in: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...&sf121542275=1

CofD booklists:
                      Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                        Exhibit a for why this is an amazingly diverse era to play in: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...&sf121542275=1
                        Yeah. The three big possibilities are:
                        1) A Viking stole or bought the clothes, because they liked the design.
                        2) A Norse traveller to Persia converted.
                        3) A Persian followed the Swedes back home, for whatever reason.

2 and 3 are VERY interesting from an RP position!

Edit: I notice that the article doesn't mention another find, made in 2009, where a ring was found, in the Birka region, with the inscription of "For Allah, for Ali", as well.
                        Last edited by Seidmadr; 10-13-2017, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X