Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unihar - 2E Conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Unihar - 2E Conversion

    Yes, I am starting this thread with full knowledge that it could set off a number of bombs for a lot of people on the forums. But that said, here goes....

    I have been thinking of putting together a 2E Conversion for the Unihar, which I hope can make them entities that are more complex than just "punishment for two Werewolves mating". So far, I got nothing on the fluff department beyond tying them somehow to Low Harmony as a possible risk for a Werewolf and maybe (on a more far-fetched note) to how Urfarah sired the Firstborn from spirits of the Shadow.

    I do, however, have a few rules and mechanics for possibly handling them...
    Most Unihar are Spirits of Rank 1 to 3, though an extreme few manage to survive long enough to become Rank 4.
    Unihar treat all Werewolves and Wolf-Blooded as having the Resonant Condition towards them.
    Unihar possess the Twilight Form and Materialize Manifestations for free.
    Unihar possess a number of Dread Powers equal to their Rank.
    Unihar are immune to all Gift Facets and Werewolf Rites.
    Unihar inflict Aggravated Damage on Werewolves whose Honorary Rank is lower than theirs by two.
    Unihar with the Claim Manifestation enjoy the following benefits.
    --> They merge or separate from their hosts at half the time it takes for other spirits.
    --> They convert all Numina into Dread Powers at the same rate they add in extra Attributes.
    --> They are capable of Reaching through Loci like Werewolves.

    Ban: All Ghost Children are compelled to attack and kill their parents, and anyone related to them by blood, on sight.
    Bane: Silver

    I'll get back to this another time, but comments, critique, and suggestions are welcome here.


    "My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

  • #2
    First off: There's something in The Pack that might interest you-a bunch of isolationist Uratha who got so distanced from their humanity they started turning into wolf spirits. Normal, non-hostile wolf-spirits, but unihar do seem like something caused by the deliberate tearing out of humanity.

    Second: I'd debuff the no-sell effect against Gifts. It makes them too tough, as in, "Why are there still even Uratha in an area with one?" tough. I'm all in support of automatic bonus to resist Gifts, though.


    Comment


    • #3
      Mmm… I don't object to Unihar per se; but IMHO, a very good thing that 2e did was to get rid of the notion that there's something inherently bad about werewolves mating with each other. So the first thing I'd do with the Unihar would be to alter how they come into being. For instance, I might have them be what happens when a werewolf mates with a wolf, or a spirit: if they're the result of a forbidden mating, make it be a mating that has good reason to be forbidden.


      Comment


      • #4
        How do you immunize Unihar from gifts that say, augment my character's strength?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ephsy View Post
          How do you immunize Unihar from gifts that say, augment my character's strength?

          You don't get that augmented strength against the unihar. So if you're using the purity facet of strength gifts to add your purity to your strength when that gift is active and you attack an unihar you remove those extra dice from having raised strength, before any modifiers. So if I had strength 3 and purity 5, activated primal strength and brought my strength to 8 for the scene, when I attack one of these immune to gifts unihar I treat my strength as 3, as if I had never activated the gift.

          Comment


          • #6
            I have toyed with the idea of converting the Unihar to 2E a number of times, but I've never actually done it. My idea was changing them from the children of two werewolves into the offspring of a werewolf and a spirit- something which I think we could agree is not a good/healthy idea with or without murderous ghost children coming out of such union.


            My Homebrew Signature

            "And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

            I now blog in here

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LostLight View Post
              I have toyed with the idea of converting the Unihar to 2E a number of times, but I've never actually done it. My idea was changing them from the children of two werewolves into the offspring of a werewolf and a spirit- something which I think we could agree is not a good/healthy idea with or without murderous ghost children coming out of such union.

              I like that idea, if I were to include them I'd make them an incredibly rare result of a werewolf breeding with anyone. With lower harmony uratha being more likely to cause it to happen as their spirit nature bleeds into the child.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Leliel View Post
                First off: There's something in The Pack that might interest you-a bunch of isolationist Uratha who got so distanced from their humanity they started turning into wolf spirits. Normal, non-hostile wolf-spirits, but unihar do seem like something caused by the deliberate tearing out of humanity.

                Second: I'd debuff the no-sell effect against Gifts. It makes them too tough, as in, "Why are there still even Uratha in an area with one?" tough. I'm all in support of automatic bonus to resist Gifts, though.
                How about flat-out penalizing the dice pools of (most) Gift Facets by their Rank, and also reducing the potency of those Facets which augment a Werewolf's attacks by the same? Alternatively, perhaps Unihar gain the 8-again (and/or perhaps even the rote quality) on contested rolls against rolled Facets and Rites, while those that are Resisted reduce dice tricks (8-again, 9-again, 10-again) and/or raise the target number for successes by half the Unihar's Rank, rounded up.

                I think I might need more help working out the details of this greater resistance. Though I am fond of my latter suggestion for portraying the Ghost Children's greater resistance. It really emphasizes the urgency for Uratha to hunt down and exterminate an Unihar as soon as possible, or else it will only grow strong enough to wipe them all out to the last pack.

                And those isolationist Uratha-turned-wolf spirits you mentioned have just become another reason for me to get the Pack supplement at my earliest convenience. Thank you very much.

                P.S: Can any of us expect some new GURPS Conversions from you anytime soon?

                Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                Mmm… I don't object to Unihar per se; but IMHO, a very good thing that 2e did was to get rid of the notion that there's something inherently bad about werewolves mating with each other. So the first thing I'd do with the Unihar would be to alter how they come into being. For instance, I might have them be what happens when a werewolf mates with a wolf, or a spirit: if they're the result of a forbidden mating, make it be a mating that has good reason to be forbidden.
                Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                I have toyed with the idea of converting the Unihar to 2E a number of times, but I've never actually done it. My idea was changing them from the children of two werewolves into the offspring of a werewolf and a spirit- something which I think we could agree is not a good/healthy idea with or without murderous ghost children coming out of such union.
                I think we can incorporate all those ideas while still retaining the possibility of an Unihar from a werewolf union. Dataweaver, I can definitely agree with your point that 2E removed the notion of two Werewolves coupling being inherently wrong. Instead, the danger could be tied to Werewolves who intentionally (more or less) keep their Harmony at lower levels.

                So, if I were to put that into a system (for those who don't want to just Story it), perhaps rolling one die for each dot of Harmony below 5 as a dice pool could be a good place to start? Success naturally would mean a black birth. And in the case of two werewolves, the lower Harmony score is used to determine dice pool? Very high Primal Urge (6+) could also levy a bonus to said roll.

                Unions with spirits and wolves, on the other hand, would always produce an unihar. Or at the very least, the chances of one coming into being are much more likely. I can see that being a Breaking Point towards Spirit with a heavy penalty, and (on a fluff-related note) it also calls back to Urfarah's unions with spirits in the days prior to the Sundering. I can imagine Bone Shadows (and maybe even Fire-Touched) would make mention of that while calling out on the act as the greatest blasphemy that can be committed.

                Originally posted by Fumus View Post
                I like that idea, if I were to include them I'd make them an incredibly rare result of a werewolf breeding with anyone. With lower harmony uratha being more likely to cause it to happen as their spirit nature bleeds into the child.
                That's exactly what I was going for with my reinterpretation of Unihar into a 2E setting. It just gives another reason for a Werewolf to regularly strike a good balance with his Harmony. And as he leans more toward his spirit nature, the more likely he risks creating a Ghost Child from a union.

                On a semi-related note, I have been wondering if there might be an equivalent flesh-bound Horror that could arise as a result of one's Harmony leaning too much to the World of Flesh.
                Last edited by Deionscribe; 05-12-2016, 05:28 AM.


                "My Homebrew Hub"
                Age of Azar
                The Kingdom of Yamatai

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

                  On a semi-related note, I have been wondering if there might be an equivalent flesh-bound Horror that could arise as a result of one's Harmony leaning too much to the World of Flesh.
                  A pangeanish being? Basically a low ranking wolf pangean who has no arcana. It'd appear like a wolf at first, except it uses numina and influences exactly like a spirit, except it's of course manifested always and is immune to banishment rites.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Fumus View Post
                    You don't get that augmented strength against the unihar.
                    Puff, yeah, shitty design.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      "Technically, my enhanced strength is affecting the baseball bat."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think immunity would only apply to Facets directly targeting the unihar. It wouldn't make as much sense otherwise. It's how it worked in first edition, too.

                        Like it would make sense if Prey of Weakness just slid off them, not so much if . If it ignored gifts you did have active that didn't target anyone but yourself that could lead to a lot more math, especially when death rage comes in. Plus it would get just plain weird with things like Perfected Rage, which extends the length of time you could be in gauru by your dots in Honor Renown.
                        Last edited by nofather; 05-12-2016, 09:56 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
                          P.S: Can any of us expect some new GURPS Conversions from you anytime soon?
                          When I finish drafting my new Worm/Chronicles of Darkness fanfic. The third project that prevented me from going back to that is finally over and done with, and since I am done with school for a little while, I finally have time.


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Alternative anti-Gift ideas: they could penalize Gift rolls in their area (area being vaguely defined; same Scene, maybe?). They might lower effective Renown (meaning some Gifts are no longer "valid") - this might even vary by Unihar, which might add a "they are the result of crimes against the Oath/Renown" origin rumor.

                            Also: Thanks for this - I had an Unihar as a fairly key plot point, but their "removal" by 2nd Edition created a timeline plot hole. I was resigned to reintroducing it somehow (probably as a kind of "they can occur, if rare, but werewolf + werewolf makes it more likely", like genetic conditions being more likely to express in shallower gene pools. Except, not at all related to genetics.), but this is looking to be better supported.


                            Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by nofather View Post
                              I think immunity would only apply to Facets directly targeting the unihar. It wouldn't make as much sense otherwise. It's how it worked in first edition, too.

                              Like it would make sense if Prey of Weakness just slid off them, not so much if . If it ignored gifts you did have active that didn't target anyone but yourself that could lead to a lot more math, especially when death rage comes in. Plus it would get just plain weird with things like Perfected Rage, which extends the length of time you could be in gauru by your dots in Honor Renown.
                              I agree. I think making Unihar immune to Gifts that would affect them is cool. It forces the Pack to take a different approach to hunting them, focusing on self-buffs and environmental effects only. To be fair, self-buffs and environmental effects are kind of 2e Gifts's strongest point, so this kind of immunity would be far less useful now than it was in the days of "killing you Gifts". But I still prefer that over having to calculate hits on Unihar as though the attacker wasn't buffed.


                              Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X