2E Lodges - Conversions and Homebrew

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
    What about offering a service to one who offers their True Name? Need something done, and you can go to an Eater of Names. Just be aware that they practically own you from that point forward (due to you just handing them a sympathetic connection right to you).
    Huh. Maybe I could pair the Ban and Aspiration to complement one another, and revise the latter as "To learn another's true name". Or should I strictly limit the Aspiration to the true names of Mages? Either way, revised the Ban in the relevant post.

Originally posted by Amravanti View Post
    Agreed, though to be fair you could have a lodge rite or custom that shields one's name from magical detection. Maybe the name is eaten by the totem, or otherwise guarded somehow and can only be discovered via mundane sources? Or admission. Or who knows. Just an idea
    A rite seems like it would make sense. And in addition to shielding one's name from magical detection, perhaps it also somehow extends that protection (in a limited form) to mundane sources? I might need help writing it out, but would it be a Wolf Rite or a Pack Rite for starters?

Also, I'm going to be giving the Eaters of Names (really need a better name for them) access to the Lodge Lorehouse and Lodge Sorcery Merits, with a choice between Fear, Names, and Punishment(?) for the latter. And how about the Lodge's size? Would it be a moderately big one, or approaching the Tribal Pillars in that aspect?

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

Huh. Maybe I could pair the Ban and Aspiration to complement one another, and revise the latter as "To learn another's true name". Or should I strictly limit the Aspiration to the true names of Mages? Either way, revised the Ban in the relevant post.

A rite seems like it would make sense. And in addition to shielding one's name from magical detection, perhaps it also somehow extends that protection (in a limited form) to mundane sources? I might need help writing it out, but would it be a Wolf Rite or a Pack Rite for starters?

Also, I'm going to be giving the Eaters of Names (really need a better name for them) access to the Lodge Lorehouse and Lodge Sorcery Merits, with a choice between Fear, Names, and Punishment(?) for the latter. And how about the Lodge's size? Would it be a moderately big one, or approaching the Tribal Pillars in that aspect?

If it locks down use of one's True/Sympathetic Name, maybe a Wolf Rite, with duration, extent, or protection uses determined by Essence spent?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

If it locks down use of one's True/Sympathetic Name, maybe a Wolf Rite, with duration, extent, or protection uses determined by Essence spent?
        That sounds about right. Now, for working out those details. I'd say the rite's duration should last a (lunar) month, and the protection should be determined by the amount of Essence spent. Not sure, though, whether it's confined to affecting one target only, or it can somehow be used to include multiple ones (perhaps at a penalty?).

"My Homebrew Hub"
        Age of Azar
        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

That sounds about right. Now, for working out those details. I'd say the rite's duration should last a (lunar) month, and the protection should be determined by the amount of Essence spent. Not sure, though, whether it's confined to affecting one target only, or it can somehow be used to include multiple ones (perhaps at a penalty?).

I'd say one target, but it's a full block on that target (you can't use sympathetic magic upon them or through them). You can always perform the Rite for other targets (which would get expensive in Essence, but that's what comprehensive protected costs).

Comment

I'd say one target, but it's a full block on that target (you can't use sympathetic magic upon them or through them). You can always perform the Rite for other targets (which would get expensive in Essence, but that's what comprehensive protected costs).

Here's a tentative write-up...

-=-

Hallowed Name (oo, Wolf Rite)
            The Lodge recognizes the power to be found in knowing one's name, and that people are connected to the wider world by the abstract ties forged over the course of their lives. They also are aware that witches with the right knowledge can exploit those connections to work their magic upon a person, or those close to him. This rite is performed to hinder such tampering.

Symbols: Connections, True Name, Warding
            Cost: 1 Essence
            Action: Extended (20 Successes, each roll represents 5 minutes)
            Duration: 1 Month

Success: For the duration of the rite, any attempt by a character to cast sympathetic magic on or through the targeted character fails unless she spends a Willpower point, or knows his sympathetic name. Even then, this triggers a Clash of Wills, with the werewolf rolling Primal Urge + dots in his highest Renown with the 8-again rule. At Storyteller Discretion, the effects can apply not only to Awakened spells, but also other forms of ritual magic like Blood Sorcery and werewolf rites.
            Last edited by Deionscribe; 07-07-2016, 01:40 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
            Age of Azar
            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

What about a higher dot Rite that outright feeds the True Name to the Eater of Names? Target looses all Sympathetic Connections, and what not having those connections would imply (people you were close to treat you like a stranger, identifying information vanishes, etc.). It might be used to punish individuals, or sever them from their old life (so as to serve the Lodge better). They become the person with no name.

"A Wolf has no name."
              Last edited by Vent0; 07-08-2016, 11:03 AM.

Comment

What about a higher dot Rite that outright feeds the True Name to the Eater of Names? Target looses all Sympathetic Connections, and what not having those connections would imply (people you were close to treat you like a stranger, identifying information vanishes, etc.). It might be used to punish individuals, or sever them from their old life (so as to serve the Lodge better). They become the person with no name.

"A Wolf has no name."
                That is scary. And the Game of Thrones reference is a nice one. Now, I am starting to imagine the Lodge being like some sort of Werewolf Faceless Men thanks to it.

In terms of dot rating, perhaps that Rite would be a five-dot one? I can see it being used effectively as a form of punishment against those who offended/harmed the Lodge in some manner. And it definitely would reinforce the significance of its adherents collecting the True Names of others, including the Awakened who are their sacred prey. Not to mention emphasize how steep a price one must pay to call on their services.

On a similar note, the Rite would most certainly be the greatest act of devotion that true faithful of Humuz-Ur could demonstrate. And such werewolves are perhaps merely extensions of their Totem's will as well as her favored vessels once they've made that sacrifice. It could be even possible that we could design a lesser Rite that could somehow harness the True Names given to the Firstborn, which could function similarly to the Masque Merit?

"My Homebrew Hub"
                Age of Azar
                The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

I like that too. Was hard thinking of something that might be appropriate.

Comment

That is scary. And the Game of Thrones reference is a nice one. Now, I am starting to imagine the Lodge being like some sort of Werewolf Faceless Men thanks to it.
                    My work here is done.

In terms of dot rating, perhaps that Rite would be a five-dot one? I can see it being used effectively as a form of punishment against those who offended/harmed the Lodge in some manner. And it definitely would reinforce the significance of its adherents collecting the True Names of others, including the Awakened who are their sacred prey. Not to mention emphasize how steep a price one must pay to call on their services.
                    5 dots sounds about right.

Comment

On a similar note, the Rite would most certainly be the greatest act of devotion that true faithful of Humuz-Ur could demonstrate. And such werewolves are perhaps merely extensions of their Totem's will as well as her favored vessels once they've made that sacrifice. It could be even possible that we could design a lesser Rite that could somehow harness the True Names given to the Firstborn, which could function similarly to the Masque Merit?
                      Combine that with the Face-Stealing Gift, and it gets really scary.

Would a Rite that lets them learn the name of a slain foe be appropriate (and thus, lets them assume their identity and Sympathetic Connections, as per options above)? Or "force" the Eater to learn their foe's name before the end?

Comment

Combine that with the Face-Stealing Gift, and it gets really scary.

Would a Rite that lets them learn the name of a slain foe be appropriate (and thus, lets them assume their identity and Sympathetic Connections, as per options above)? Or "force" the Eater to learn their foe's name before the end?
                        For some reason, I imagine that would require the Eater to eat the flesh of his foe, and thus force a Breaking Point. And I imagine that such a Rite would be appropriately called the "Feast of Names".

"My Homebrew Hub"
                        Age of Azar
                        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

For some reason, I imagine that would require the Eater to eat the flesh of his foe, and thus force a Breaking Point. And I imagine that such a Rite would be appropriately called the "Feast of Names".
                          Given most Uratha only need a taste of their quarry's blood to know where they are at all times, I imagine that's enough of a symbol for it.

Comment

Probably unnecessary, definitely way under-powered. There's a Gift 'Know Thy Prey,' with a regular success, 'The Uratha immediately knows every name that the prey is known by, as long as someone else other than the prey knows it. He also knows any Alternate Identity or Fame Merits that the target possesses. In addition, he becomes aware of every Allies, Contacts, Retainer, Resources, Staff, and Status Merit that the target possesses with equal or fewer dots than successes rolled.'

It is not even contested or resisted, though the dicepool is penalized by an Anonymity merit, and can be used on anyone the werewolf perceives that is present. Any Uratha with 1 Honor Renown can get it.

Think more powerful. More hunter.

Rites would be based on ancient pacts forged between spirits and Other Things.
                            Last edited by nofather; 07-08-2016, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                              Probably unnecessary, definitely way under-powered. There's a Gift 'Know Thy Prey,' with a regular success, 'The Uratha immediately knows every name that the prey is known by, as long as someone else other than the prey knows it. He also knows any Alternate Identity or Fame Merits that the target possesses. In addition, he becomes aware of every Allies, Contacts, Retainer, Resources, Staff, and Status Merit that the target possesses with equal or fewer dots than successes rolled.'

It is not even contested or resisted, though the dicepool is penalized by an Anonymity merit, and can be used on anyone the werewolf perceives that is present. Any Uratha with 1 Honor Renown can get it.
                              Thanks for pointing that out

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                              Think more powerful. More hunter.

Rites would be based on ancient pacts forged between spirits and Other Things.
                              Speaking of Rites, working on that five-dot one Vent0 suggested. But it's still a WIP.

-=-

Feast of Names (ooooo)

Symbols:
                              Connections, Endings, Humuz-Ur, Sacrifice, True Name
                              Cost: 5 Essence
                              Action:
                              Duration:

Sample Rite:

Success:

"My Homebrew Hub"
                              Age of Azar
                              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Having a bit of a block on working out that "Feast of Names" Rite, as well as a write-up for the Eaters of Names as a Lodge. In the meantime, though, here's another Lodge concept that sprung from my brainstorming for Age of Azar content. This one is also a work in progress, but the idea here is that it's a true Sun-worshipping Lodge as opposed to the Temple of Apollo and its alien Totem. In Age of Azar (which is an expansion of the Cannibal Hymn''s setting), this sect is tied to an extent with the mortal solar priesthood. However, since sun worship is found among other ancient cultures, it shouldn't be too hard to create regional variations for other parts of the world.

I still got nothing, though, on the Totem for this Lodge. Part of me was somehow thinking of using the Incandescent (or Opalescent?) Twins, Firstborn who commanded Uratha and humans to raise up temples to Helios during the time of the Sundered World. Right now, though, I am thinking of settling for a Hellion of Rank 4 or 5 being their patron instead. Feel free to air your thoughts on this.

The Sun Walkers

TOTEM: ???? ????

BOND

Blessing: The Lodge member regains a point of Essence for every hour spent under the sun. In addition, most Hellions have at least average or good first impressions towards him for the purpose of Social Maneuvering.

Aspiration: To accomplish a task for a high-ranking Hellion.

Ban: To fulfill all oaths sworn before a Hellion.

SACRED HUNT
                                The Sacred Hunt grants your character greater prowess as a tracker under Helios' light. Any tracking rolls made to track prey during the hours of the day gain an Exceptional Success at three successes instead of five. Furthermore, the Perception bonuses of a Lodge member's forms are increased by +1 during this time.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                                Age of Azar
                                The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Working...
                                X