X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mask/face/thing that Widow saw in her Echo Dream vision is this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Ding_part.jpg

- Chris Allen, Aberrant Line Developer, Freelance Writer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

A draft for Shenzen. I think I'm gonna need to bolt together a Gift of Time...

Shenzen – The City Without History

Shenzen is a mirror of Hong Kong's success story – a busy port, major financial centre and huge city butting against its northern border. Shenzen exploded from a small town in the 80s to the urban behemoth of today, and the the Uratha of the province know full well its growth was down to more than just the PRC labelling it a Special Economic Zone. Something has long been awry with the very fabric of reality in Shenzen and someone, or something, caused the expansion of the city by stealing it from a history that never happened, a Shenzen that never was, and overlaying it into this world. The layout of the city possesses innumerable minor pieces of occult geometry, coming together into some sort of vast chronal siphon that forces this reality to match the Other Shenzen. For years, the 'city without history' and the time spirits that flock there served as a major attraction for Uratha seers and secret-seekers of both Pure and Forsaken, with bitter fighting breaking out across its prime territories, but the Cull have moved in in recent years – and established a major Deep Shadow monastery as a bastion. Now this major land route into Hong Kong is threatened, the Cull bringing in more adherents as the months progress and the Uratha of the City of Nine Dragons watching uneasily from over the border. Word has it that the Thousand Steel Teeth are gathering their own war parties, determined to defend their supply lines that run through Hong Kong and Shenzen out into the wider world. The new city of Shenzen may be about to become a battleground for a particularly vicious phase of the war with the Cull.

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Guangdong – Riches Worth Fighting For

The province of Guangdong may be a large and prosperous region, but for the Forsaken of the area it is perhaps most characterised by its river spirits. Threading down to the Pearl River Delta, these spirits are probably the most organised, widespread and outright hostile court of Guangdong; the feud dates back to the battle of Yamen in 1279. Defeating and subjugating the local river spirits is an ongoing struggle, not at all helped by the Pure's own alliance with the River King. Despite this hostility, there is much for the Forsaken to covet here – the wealth of the human population and the uncommonly high number of wellsprings of Essence. Guangdong has a great abundance of sites that naturally form talens, rich loci of rare Resonances, and unusual qualities to the Shadow that make certain rites – such as those that craft fetishes – easier to work than elsewhere. The Claimed are a particular threat across the province, and the Storm Lords have traditionally been very powerful here; there are several Tribal bastions where the Iminir protect ancient artefacts and relics that are the destination of pilgrims from across the globe. The Storm Lords of Guangdong have a highly organised Tribal structure that crosses throughout the packs and Protectorates of the province, leading up to an elected gong whose task is to tend to the ancient, revered Tribal elder known as the Zongshi – a near-mythical figure amongst the Forsaken, said to alternate between sleeping in a Storm Lord fastness and prowling the Deep Shadow for the most terrifying of prey. Guangdong regularly sees the conflict between Forsaken and Pure flare into open and brutal warfare, but these periods are almost always short – usually a year or two at most before things lapse once again, agreements are made and lines redrawn. The recent arrival of sects of the Cull from the west and north, however, threatens to upset that balance.

Comment

First draft for Taiwan:

Taiwan – Tyrants of the Earth

Taiwan's Shadow was once ruled by the spirits of the mountains and the grumbling, shifting earth – but around two centuries ago, the Forsaken of the island undertook a great and mighty binding on the lords of rock and stone to chain them with fetters of symbolism. This caused a great rift amongst the Taiwanese Tribes, with the Bone Shadows breaking off to form their own separate faction, condemning the act as one of hubris that would only serve to harm Shadow and Flesh alike. For two centuries now, the bindings have mostly held – but when they weaken or shift, the furious spirits of the earth vent their rage on the world. Even today, the Bone Shadows remain separate to the other Forsaken and have, as the years turn, formed a distinct identity from Hirfathra Hissu elsewhere as well. The Predator Kings have long sought to unmake the chains that bind the mountain spirits and once formed the bulk of the Pure numbers in Taiwan, but since the Chinese Civil War the other two Pure Tribes have made significant inroads into what was once almost entirely under Forsaken control. Today, Taiwanese Uratha are renowned for their mastery of rites and the binding of spirits, but often considered prideful and arrogant in their disdain for other werewolves who do not have the strength to chain the Shadow to their will. Taiwanese packs commonly include spirits enslaved to the pack's will, and even totems are treated less as respected equals and more as vassals or servants. The Bone Shadows continue to warn that a reckoning will yet come; but as each decade passes without sign of their forecast apocalypse, so does the scorn for the fifth Tribe rise amongst the Taiwanese.

Comment

Not gonna lie, pretty jealous of this entire game.

Gift of Time? That would be trippy.

Comment

Philippines – The Spinner Hag's Bastion

In many ways, Uratha in the Philippines have lives similar to werewolves elsewhere – though the boundaries of territories in the archipelago are often delineated by coastline and travel between islands can be tricky. The rising prosperity and development of the country has left Uratha with many of the same challenges and opportunities as in other nations. The Shadow across the Philippines, however, is in a ruinous state – and has been for millennia. By local lore, the Great Predator fought much of its battle with the Spinner Hag over what became these islands, and in many places the Gauntlet is still torn asunder by the mere echo of Wolf's claws and teeth. Worse, other patches of Gauntlet are thick and distended, shrouded in Azlo webs and said to contain oozing gobbets of the Hag's carcass. The Azlu are numerous and powerful here, and are no mere monstrous beasts – the Host spider-witches of the Philippines think and plan with an alien but clinically precise approach, their schemes spanning centuries. The poor state of the Gauntlet has also resulted in a much higher number of spirits crossing over into the Flesh, bizarre and unique forms of Claimed, and other entities born by the fusion of the two worlds. Repeated rumours bubble up that there are actually still areas of Pangaea itself hidden away, somehow saved from the Great Predator's death-howl. Unsurprisingly, the Hunters in Darkness lead the Forsaken here, and Filipino werewolves are said to be both particularly vigilant – or paranoid, by the less charitable – and particularly talented in the matter of wards and occult protections. The Philippines have long served as a destination for Hunter in Darkness pilgrimages – old and veteran Meninna from other countries, even far-off continents, have been known to 'retire' to this heart of Azlu power, and werewolves seeking lore and insights into the spider Hosts often seek out Filipino brethren for aid.

Originally posted by Monghani View Post
              Not gonna lie, pretty jealous of this entire game.

Gift of Time? That would be trippy.
              ​Yeah, I've started sketching out what sort of Facets might work for it and damn, it's hard. Not, however, unworkable I think.

Comment

I've gotta ask, the Cull.

Are they at all related to the Cull mentioned in Dark Eras?

Comment

Originally posted by the_duck View Post

Presuming it's the same Cull as mentioned in China in the Pack.

'My notion for the Cull is that they're a modern revival of the Cull from Sundered World, re-emerging in China initially.'

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
                    Philippines – The Spinner Hag's Bastion
                    In many ways, Uratha in the Philippines have lives similar to werewolves elsewhere – though the boundaries of territories in the archipelago are often delineated by coastline and travel between islands can be tricky. The rising prosperity and development of the country has left Uratha with many of the same challenges and opportunities as in other nations. The Shadow across the Philippines, however, is in a ruinous state – and has been for millennia. By local lore, the Great Predator fought much of its battle with the Spinner Hag over what became these islands, and in many places the Gauntlet is still torn asunder by the mere echo of Wolf's claws and teeth. Worse, other patches of Gauntlet are thick and distended, shrouded in Azlo webs and said to contain oozing gobbets of the Hag's carcass. The Azlu are numerous and powerful here, and are no mere monstrous beasts – the Host spider-witches of the Philippines think and plan with an alien but clinically precise approach, their schemes spanning centuries. The poor state of the Gauntlet has also resulted in a much higher number of spirits crossing over into the Flesh, bizarre and unique forms of Claimed, and other entities born by the fusion of the two worlds. Repeated rumours bubble up that there are actually still areas of Pangaea itself hidden away, somehow saved from the Great Predator's death-howl. Unsurprisingly, the Hunters in Darkness lead the Forsaken here, and Filipino werewolves are said to be both particularly vigilant – or paranoid, by the less charitable – and particularly talented in the matter of wards and occult protections. The Philippines have long served as a destination for Hunter in Darkness pilgrimages – old and veteran Meninna from other countries, even far-off continents, have been known to 'retire' to this heart of Azlu power, and werewolves seeking lore and insights into the spider Hosts often seek out Filipino brethren for aid.
                    Incidentally, I was trying to figure out how to write out a Hunting Ground: Philippines (as well as put together stuff for the other game lines), seeing as I have a whole lot of Filipino myths and literature to work with (and also because I'm a local). Needless to say, I'm going to be using this as a starting point for my stuff. I should probably add, though, that I conceptualized the imbalance in the Shadow also stemming in part from the wars that were waged on the islands -- Spanish colonization, the Philippine-American War, and the Japanese occupation during World War II. And then there's also all the crime and conflict that followed after those events, all the way to the present. I can see that factoring alongside what you put up.

On a related note, making the Hunters in Darkness as the prominent Tribe here makes sense, especially with their focus on territory. But given all the supernatural (and even mundane) stuff going down in the Philippines, all of the other Tribes would have plenty of prey to keep them occupied.

All in all, salamat for this tidbit I might just turn it into an opening text for a Hunting Ground write-up once I have the time to type it down.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                    Age of Azar
                    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

I had forgotten about them, the plot thickens!

Comment

Originally posted by the_duck View Post

Yes.

So, there's the Cull of the Sundered World, and in The Pack I introduced the Cull in modern China, who are described as practicing a horribly twisted form of Daoism/Taoism.

Now, the way I'm using all these - and this is not official stuff, this is just how I'm running with it for my game - is that there are several inheritors to some of the Pangaean Cull philosophy. Obviously the Pure have some of it in their beliefs (especially the Predator Kings), and the Iron Masters also share it to a lesser extent. The Lodge of Irkalla, mentioned in The Pack, are the most direct descendent of the Cull in terms of beliefs (and even theirs have obviously had to be adjusted on account of Wolf being dead and all). The Cull are an inheritor philosophy, a revival of the Pangaean Cull, but despite the name they also have their own differences and idiosyncracies and are partly run through a blurry Taoist filter. They are quite different from the Lodge of Irkalla in goals and methods, but equally they share the same roots.

When the Cull first began to come to prominence in China, the Pure initially mistook them as some sort of extremist Pure sect - a mistake that was costly to learn. The Cull are not friendly to either of the Wolf Factions, as the Pure and Forsaken have come to be described in the three-way clusterfuck spreading across the region.

More of the nature of the modern Cull will come to light as the game progresses!

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

Incidentally, I was trying to figure out how to write out a Hunting Ground: Philippines (as well as put together stuff for the other game lines), seeing as I have a whole lot of Filipino myths and literature to work with (and also because I'm a local). Needless to say, I'm going to be using this as a starting point for my stuff. I should probably add, though, that I conceptualized the imbalance in the Shadow also stemming in part from the wars that were waged on the islands -- Spanish colonization, the Philippine-American War, and the Japanese occupation during World War II. And then there's also all the crime and conflict that followed after those events, all the way to the present. I can see that factoring alongside what you put up.

On a related note, making the Hunters in Darkness as the prominent Tribe here makes sense, especially with their focus on territory. But given all the supernatural (and even mundane) stuff going down in the Philippines, all of the other Tribes would have plenty of prey to keep them occupied.

All in all, salamat for this tidbit I might just turn it into an opening text for a Hunting Ground write-up once I have the time to type it down.
                        Yeah, the Philippines is so saturated with weirdness and folklore that I figured there had to be some interesting reasons as to why that might be. That said, with the wars etc - absolutely true, but it's also true of many other regions across the world. I didn't want to be repeating myself for the Philippines, Vietnam, etc over and over of 'obviously lots of wars etc here have resulted in modern occult fucked-upness', so it wasn't something I focused on for my short write-up

Comment

Third episode is up! There's a worrying encounter with something hungry in the Museum, and the pack steps into the Shadow with Lao Min for the first time.

http://shoutengine.com/InSanityWeTru...eater-of-21588

Comment

Now, the way I'm using all these - and this is not official stuff, this is just how I'm running with it for my game - is that there are several inheritors to some of the Pangaean Cull philosophy. Obviously the Pure have some of it in their beliefs (especially the Predator Kings), and the Iron Masters also share it to a lesser extent. The Lodge of Irkalla, mentioned in The Pack, are the most direct descendent of the Cull in terms of beliefs (and even theirs have obviously had to be adjusted on account of Wolf being dead and all). The Cull are an inheritor philosophy, a revival of the Pangaean Cull, but despite the name they also have their own differences and idiosyncracies and are partly run through a blurry Taoist filter. They are quite different from the Lodge of Irkalla in goals and methods, but equally they share the same roots.

When the Cull first began to come to prominence in China, the Pure initially mistook them as some sort of extremist Pure sect - a mistake that was costly to learn. The Cull are not friendly to either of the Wolf Factions, as the Pure and Forsaken have come to be described in the three-way clusterfuck spreading across the region.
                            Even if it's not technically official, I'm still probably going to go with what you wrote for a number of things. Especially after what you wrote on the Lamprey Host (which I noticed were mentioned in the Bangkok write-up) :3

Yeah, the Philippines is so saturated with weirdness and folklore that I figured there had to be some interesting reasons as to why that might be. That said, with the wars etc - absolutely true, but it's also true of many other regions across the world. I didn't want to be repeating myself for the Philippines, Vietnam, etc over and over of 'obviously lots of wars etc here have resulted in modern occult fucked-upness', so it wasn't something I focused on for my short write-up
                            You have a point there. But yeah, the Philippines does have a lot of weirdness and folklore, alright. And it's why I am so keen on doing a write-up for it as a setting that can be applied to all of the supernatural lines. I know I can use the Aswang from Night Horrors (and Antagonists) for Vampire, and I have a few ideas in mind for Changeling which involve Metro Manila at least being home to several Courts, with many of the indigenuous ones being tied to exiled Fae who have connected a great deal with humanity (inspired by the Goblin Chronicles fan supplement from way back). And then there's Werewolves, and there are a few teleseryes that come to mind for ideas on how to handle them.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                            Age of Azar
                            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

I'm surprised the Macau entry doesn't really cover the casino and gambling aspect.

This is some real cool world building. Very inspirational.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                                I'm surprised the Macau entry doesn't really cover the casino and gambling aspect.

This is some real cool world building. Very inspirational.
                                ​The same reasons for, for ex., I didn't go into the tensions between Taiwan and the mainland in the Taiwan snippet:
                                - These are short snippets and I want to get across the key elements of why they're weird or notable to the Uratha.
                                - They'd be a certain amount of stating the obvious - yes, if the pack end up visiting Macau, of course the casinos and gambling will affect the Shadow and local Uratha traditions, so I want instaed to cover the more unusual stuff.
                                - From the Uratha point of view, it's more important to know that Macau is a beseiged Forsaken bastion and home to some real weirdness relating to the Firstborn.
                                - I don't necessarily want to nail down all those sorts of details yet; I may have nifty ideas for what to do with the Macau gambling stuff later, when it's more relevant to the game.

Were I writing these up as full Hunting Grounds then stuff like Macau's gambling side is certainly something I'd plumb in depth - but for now, it's not something I need to detail. OTOH Macau in particular is likely to be a pack destination in the near future, so we'll see!

And thanks for the compliment!

Comment

Working...
                                X