No announcement yet.

Lodge of the Red Sands (2E Conversion)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lodge of the Red Sands (2E Conversion)

DESERT WOLVES, HUNTERS OF DESHRET, CHILDREN OF THE RED SANDS
    The spirit walked like a lion, and it had the belly of a serpent that dragged the ground, and its face was that of a hippopotamus with the teeth of a crocodile. Had Sekhautet seen it a moon ago, even with her whole pack standing beside her, she would have quailed in fear. But the flutter in her heart was overcome by need, and she did not pause. She raced down to it, and she leapt upon its back, and she took it by the neck, and with the last of her strength she rode it until it collapsed. Then Sekhautet opened the spirit’s throat, and from it she drank long.

The Lodge of Red Sands had its beginnings in Upper Egypt, allegedly before the unification of the two kingdoms. The Sahara is one of the places where it remains strongest even today. However, some lodge members have carried the mark of the Red Beast King farther, usually settling in the deserts where they can be master. The Red Sands are spread throughout the Middle East, and to some extent through sub-Saharan Africa. There are said to be packs even as far away as the Gobi, the southwestern United States and the Australian outback.

Adherents do not conceal their membership, and a daring werewolf may stand at the edge of their territories and howl for an audience in the usual way. It usually doesn’t take long for a Lodge member to decide whether it’s worth it to give an initiate a chance. Either he looks strong enough to survive in the desert, or he doesn’t. Either he seems to be hungry for the power of the sands, or he isn’t. If the petitioner seems to be worthy in both areas, then he can be tested.

Desert Wolves are bound together by two key principles. The first is simple — the challenge of surviving in the desert. While many members of the Lodge grew up in human cultures that already knew some tricks of desert survival, the demands of enduring the desert are quite different for werewolves. The Lodge teaches one another how to survive without equipment, without vehicles or herd animals, simply as wolves.

The second principle, and also the one less commonly admitted, is the pursuit of power itself. The Lodge’s patron spirit is very interested in strength, both physical and mystical — and the spirit’s desire bleeds into its children.

The Children of the Red Sands are able to sublimate their physical thirst to endure the desert better, but a mystical thirst comes over them in exchange. Some packs look for social power, hoping to dominate their neighbors with the strength their unassailable desert holds. Other packs strive for physical power, forging themselves into warriors and hunters without peer. But the greatest and most common thirst among the Lodge is the thirst for Essence. The Children of the Red Sands treat Essence as a commodity almost dearer than water — to them, a locus is an oasis. They must moderate their thirst to keep from draining their precious reserves dry, but they would drink until bursting if they could.

As a result, the Lodge has an agenda beyond mere survival. There are indeed great Loci to be found in the wasteland, where the Essence runs thick even if there’s little water to be found. But any and all Essence is fair game. Some of the adherents are little better than pirates, stealing Essence from rival packs’ Loci simply because they have the strength and (they claim) the need. Others act more honorably, but are prone to demand Essence in exchange for assisting a nearby pack against a common foe. They make dangerous neighbors in lean times, and even in times of plenty.

[For more on the Lodge, see p. 102 of Lodges: The Splintered]

TOTEM: THE RED BEAST KING
    The spirit that oversees the Red Sands is a fierce, chimerical entity. It manifests in a form that’s almost sphinx-like, with a great leonine body and a black-maned head somewhat like that of a hyena. In this guise, the Red Beast King’s coat is a deep, rich crimson, and its neck is adorned with lavish but clearly worn jewelry of gold, lapis and bone. The spirit tends to vary in its manifestations, though, and has been known to take a more humanoid (albeit innately bestial) form.

The Red Beast King is terse and strict with its adopted children, prone to answering impudence with a powerful blow of its paw but also unafraid to praise those who meet its high standards. The spirit sometimes addresses members of the lodge as if they were royalty themselves — a king speaking to princes, perhaps, or an emperor to kings.

The concept of kingship itself is surprisingly prevalent in the Lodge. Outsiders sometimes mistake the Red Sands for an organization with no interest in the politics of the rest of the Forsaken. The reverse is often true. The Red Beast King considers itself the lord and master of its desolate terrain, and its children act as though they were kings and queens of a great and noble territory. They rule where the soft cannot even aspire to serve. Despite this mentality, packs with even just one adherent tend to operate rather smoothly when the chips are down — the desert doesn’t forgive mistakes.

BONDS

Blessing: The Red Sands are masters of surviving in the barren wastes. They double their Stamina when determining how long they may be exposed to the desert and similar Extreme Environments before they take damage. Furthermore, they can go without food or water for twice the normal length of time.

Aspiration: To find and claim a powerful source of Essence.

Ban: A Lodge member must must carry out a Sacred Hunt on her own or in the company of her fellow adherents at least once a month.

SACRED HUNT
    The Lodge Sacred Hunt grants your character the ability to detect nearby sources of Essence within a number of miles equal to half his Primal Urge, rounded up. If your character possesses the Gift of Essence's Wisdom Facet, he may activate it at no cost.

TOOLS
    The Red King's Children may purchase the Lodge Connections and Lodge Stronghold Merits.

Sekhmet's Jar (••)
    Action: Instant
    This useful fetish usually takes the form of a small clay jar, urn or jug. Some appear almost as canopic jars, with the stopper taking the head of a beast (usually a wolf, lioness or hyena). The spirit within is usually some form of water elemental or blood-spirit, and the fetish itself can be activated once per night.

When activated, the jar fills with a thick, frothy red beer that tastes somewhat like blood. Though alcoholic, the beer is as refreshing and rejuvenating as pure water. The drinker also regains one Essence point. However, the beer has a soporific effect even on a werewolf’s constitution, tending to dull the drinker’s senses. The character takes the Intoxicated Condition for the scene, unless he resolves it sooner. If the drinker is an ordinary human or a supernatural entity without a metabolism comparable to that of a werewolf, the Condition cannot be removed without sleeping for roughly eight hours.

Vampires may also drink the beer produced by the fetish to regain Vitae. Furthermore, they may roll a dice pool of Stamina + Resolve + Composure to avoid getting intoxicated. An Exceptional Success on this roll means they do not suffer the drawbacks until the next scene.

Some variants of this fetish lack the soporific effect, but are potentially more dangerous. The taste of blood is enough to heighten the drinker’s lust for more. Imbibers suffer a -2 penalty to all Resolve or Composure rolls for the duration of the scene, including rolls to resist Death Rage.

Joint-Cutting Knife (••••)
    Action: Reflexive
    This fetish knife is thick and double-edged, with one of its edges nastily serrated. It is often made of black iron, though older examples might be fashioned of bronze or even copper. This ugly design is practical enough for the blade’s purpose — specifically, dismembering bodies. The knife is bound with a spirit of death or of a scavenger animal such as a vulture, hyena or even an ant. When activated, the knife can cut through a human leg as easily as slicing a sandwich.

Despite the small size, the Joint-Cutting Knife is a lethal weapon; it cuts through bone, sinew and flesh with great ease even on a living target. It has a damage rating of 3 lethal damage, and attacks which inflict the Bleeding or Wrack Tilts treat the target's Stamina as half its normal value, rounded up. The knife also makes a remarkably useful tool for impromptu surgery or first aid, granting a +3 tool bonus to appropriate Medicine rolls.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 07-31-2016, 04:24 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Age of Azar: Hunting in the Chaos Outside

To the ancient Egyptians, red was the color of the desert. It was the wilderness, the harsh and unforgiving land ruled by beasts and not humans. The Shadow gives truth to that understanding, as long stretches of spirit deserts on the other side of the Gauntlet sometimes appear as a dull red the color of drying blood. Not that these sections of desert are without life, either in the Shadow or in the realm of flesh. But they are dangerous, inhospitable wastes. Only the strongest could endure here; only the strongest would dare to try.

Kemet's Uratha are counted among those seasoned few. The Fangs of Upuaut brave the dunes in search of gods to hunt and battle. The forebearers of the Lodge of Death seek out ancient tombs buried beneath the sands to purge those shades that cling to the land of the living. And some of the Kazithaga who choose to venture out of their territories in Ki-En-Gir prey on those nomads and wanderers they encounter, sending their souls to the Underworld to bring Urfarah back to life.

But it was the those who fell under the purview of the Red Beast King who were truly at home in Deshret. They considered themselves its true guardians, as they
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 07-09-2016, 08:17 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

My first attempt at a conversion write-up for a 1E Lodge. And one that ties in with the content found in my Age of Azar thread. As always, critique and suggestions are welcome.

"My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

I do wonder what would happen if Kindred drank from sekhmets jar? Would they receive blood points but get drunk? Would it not work on them? Would it give them blood but not taste like blood but alcohol and maybe remind them of their mortal days? Or would it just not do anything because of their metabolism?

Comment

Originally posted by The Anubi View Post
          I do wonder what would happen if Kindred drank from sekhmets jar? Would they receive blood points but get drunk? Would it not work on them? Would it give them blood but not taste like blood but alcohol and maybe remind them of their mortal days? Or would it just not do anything because of their metabolism?
          Hmm. I'm having a hard time deciding which of those possibilities would apply for vampires. Personally, though, what do you prefer?

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

Hmm. I'm having a hard time deciding which of those possibilities would apply for vampires. Personally, though, what do you prefer?
            I think it should have an effect since a blood spirit is usually involved in the creation of one of the jars. It can give blood points but at the same time it will get one drunk possibly lead to an addiction to alcohol. So it could help one feed but the kindred will have drawbacks. Also I think they could contest the 8 hour sleep with a Stamina+Resolve+Resilience roll because they are more hardy than humans.

Comment

Originally posted by The Anubi View Post
              I think it should have an effect since a blood spirit is usually involved in the creation of one of the jars. It can give blood points but at the same time it will get one drunk possibly lead to an addiction to alcohol. So it could help one feed but the kindred will have drawbacks. Also I think they could contest the 8 hour sleep with a Stamina+Resolve+Resilience roll because they are more hardy than humans.
              That sounds good. I'll add that bit in when I wake up later.

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

The ban doesn't works because the Primal Urge penalty concerning not engaging on a hunt for X period of time already covers that ground. What do these guys hunt, specifically? Why dedicate yourself to some alien desert beast with self aggrandizing views, when it's far simpler to get a relevant Weather or Elemental Facet?

Comment

Originally posted by Malus View Post
                  The ban doesn't works because the Primal Urge penalty concerning not engaging on a hunt for X period of time already covers that ground. What do these guys hunt, specifically? Why dedicate yourself to some alien desert beast with self aggrandizing views, when it's far simpler to get a relevant Weather or Elemental Facet?
                  Planning on revisiting this writeup sometime soon, once I have free time. But noted on this point regarding the Ban.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                  Age of Azar
                  The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Working...
                  X