Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Eaters of Names (2E Homebrew)

COLLECTORS, NAMELESS WOLVES, NANASHI
    The werewolves of this Lodge are an ancient sect, and have existed in one form or another over thousands of years. They have accumulated a wealth of knowledge through the various favors and services done for fellow Forsaken, those well-versed enough in the occult to know of their existence, and (if the rumors are true) even the Pure. Yet one type of knowledge is deeply prized by them - the knowledge of True Names.

The Eaters of Names especially prize the True Names of Awakened, whom they hunt as their Sacred Prey. These men and women stand out among the herd, and learn to harness a power that's beyond even the wisest Ithaeur's understanding. With few exceptions, most Awakened roam the World of Flesh and delve deep into the Shadow and even stranger realms in search of Mysteries to comprehend. Uratha who catch on to these Obsessions compare them to their own instinct to hunt, but also give them a wide berth due to the lengths they could go to achieve them. The Lodge is particularly aware of this fact, as they tell stories of how the Wise ravaged the world time and again through their Hubris.

Nameless Wolves recruit Forsaken and Ghost Wolves as members. Those of the former are typically Bone Shadows and Iron Masters, as those two Tribes have the most contact with the Wise through their respective forays among spirits and the herd. Storm Lords are also present in sizable numbers among the adherents, as they are drawn to hunt those Wise who bind spirits into hosts for their own end, and those who have themselves been possessed by the denizens of the Hisil. Those Thihirtha Numea among the ranks, meanwhile, tend to be one of two types. The first are those werewolves who never belonged to a Tribe before joining, and who come to consider the Eaters of Names as their own Tribe by virtue of its patron. The second are Uratha who shed their allegiance to the Tribes of the Moon, and have chosen to devote themselves exclusively to the Lodge's affairs. Many of the latter undergo the Feast of Names, a ritual that sacrifices their True Names to the Totem.

TOTEM: HUMUZ-UR, THE EATER OF NAMES
    The Totem of the Nameless Wolves is undoubtedly a Firstborn, but she stands apart from her siblings in pursuit of her own agendas. Like Death Wolf, she hunts for knowledge, and the True Names she has devoured over the centuries has given her a great degree of influence in the supernatural world.

The Eater of Names has a contentious relationship towards the Awakened, especially those who intrude upon the Shadow and disrespect its residents. Mages who draw her attention run the risk of losing both their names and souls to her, and those who do suffer this fate seldom recover either.

The Nameless Wolves believe such aggression is due to a crime made by the Wise against their totem, great Act of Hubris performed in the days before the Sundering. Some, though, go so far as to claim that they were complicit in Father Wolf's death. Whatever the truth may be, Humuz-Ur often calls upon her initiates to deliver her wrath upon an unfortunate Mage.

BONDS

Blessing: The adherent can use spirit senses to perceive sympathetic links, and treats them as tracking spoor equal to their Withstand ratings. Furthermore, any supernatural attempts made to discover his names do not work unless they succeed in a Clash of Wills. The werewolf rolls Resolve + Primal Urge with the rote quality for the Clash, and is immediately alerted to such scrutiny.

Aspiration: To sacrifice a True Name to Humuz-Ur

Ban: A Lodge member must perform a service to whoever tells him their True Name.

THE SACRED HUNT
    The Lodge Sacred Hunt grants your character the ability to track his prey through his true name. Should he gain knowledge of it, he is considered to have the benefits of Prey's Blood for the duration of the Siskur-Dah. If he has tasted its blood, he is always aware of how far his prey is from himself. Uratha with Reflected Facets may use it against such prey regardless of distance, and do not need to pay the Facet's cost if it's within a number of miles equal to their Cunning Renown.

TOOLS
    The Eaters of Names can purchase the Lodge Connections and Lodge Lorehouse Merits.

Hallowed Name (•••, Wolf Rite)
    The Lodge recognizes the power to be found in knowing one's name, and that people are connected to the wider world by the abstract ties forged over the course of their lives. They also are aware that witches with the right knowledge can exploit those connections to work their magic upon a person, or those close to him. This rite is performed to hinder such tampering.

Symbols: Connections, True Name, Warding
    Sample Rite: The ritualist holds an item of significance to the subject and speaks their name. He then chants a warding mantra in the First Tongue, his words slow and steady as the desired enchantment is woven into being. (Presence + Expression)

Cost: 1 Essence
    Action: Extended (10 Successes, each roll represents 1 minute)
    Duration: 1 Month

Success: For the duration of the rite, any attempt by a character to cast sympathetic magic on or through the targeted character fails unless she spends a Willpower point, or knows his sympathetic name. Even then, this triggers a Clash of Wills, with the werewolf rolling Primal Urge + dots in his highest Renown with the 8-again rule. At Storyteller Discretion, the effects can affect not only Awakened spells, but also other forms of ritual magic like Kindred Blood Sorcery, Sin-Eater Ceremonies, and the Rites of other werewolves.

The Rite also provides protection against the Knowledge Facet, Know Thy Prey. Any Uratha who target the subject with it suffer from a strange gap in information that's accompanied by a sense of dread or trespassing. They learn nothing of the names used by him, nor any Alternate Identity and Fame Merits he possesses. Furthermore, their successes are reduced by the adherent's Primal Urge, and they must make a successful Resolve + Composure roll or suffer the Confused Condition."

Feast of Names (•••••, Wolf Rite)
    Adherents of Humuz-Ur perform this Rite to punish their enemies and traitors. However, the most devout of their number have been known to offer their own names to the Totem so that they may better serve her cause.

Symbols: Anonymity, Connections, Sacrifice, True Name
    Sample Rite: The supplicant sits before a fire, chanting words of power in the First Tongue. He then offers to the flames a small wooden plaque bearing the true name and adorned with its bearer's blood, followed by items symbolic of his most important connections. As these sacrifices are consumed, the target's ties to his life up to that point are completely severed. (Manipulation + Occult)

Cost: 5 Essence
    Action: Extended (20 Successes, each roll represents 5 Minutes)
    Duration: Special (See Below)

Success: The subject immediately loses all sympathetic links tied to him, and can no longer be affected through his True Name. Any magic that would target him through sympathy fails altogether, and Uratha with the Know Thy Prey Knowledge Facet gain no information on him unless they are Lodge members. The effects are permanent unless the subject can successfully petition Humuz-Ur to return his name.

TALES OF THE NAMELESS

Last edited by Deionscribe; 03-14-2017, 11:00 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

A product of this thread, and a work-in-progress in terms of fluff text, a sample version for Hallowed Name, and a full write-up of the Feast of Names Rite. if you guys want to make some contributions and suggestions, feel free to do so.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Like I said earlier, love the concept. And the Eater of Names in general.

I have a couple questions about what's up so far. What constitutes a "true name"? Does a Nameless have to perform a service to every person who introduces themselves? Is it a birth name? A predator king who shuns his human upbringing, and has gone by his First Tongue deed name for two decades. is Joshua Greene still his "True name"?

Also, a cool detail to throw in is to make Hallowed Name also have some strange or creepy interaction with the Knowledge Facet 'Know Thy Prey.' Maybe the gift fails automatically, maybe the gift user only gets back the name 'Nameless,' or maybe he 'knowing the name' portion of the gift fails, but the other bits don't (social merits, etc.) - just a strange gap in knowledge and a sense of the mark of the firstborn, manifesting in a sense of dread or a sense of trespassing, etc.

I was going to ask what Withstand rating the Blessing refers to, but I realize now that it's the Sympathetic Link's withstand. The sentence could maybe be a little clearer, but my confusion is also probably just due to my unfamiliarity with mage.

And I'm very excited for a write up of Feast of Names.

Comment

Originally posted by Amravanti View Post
        Like I said earlier, love the concept. And the Eater of Names in general.

I have a couple questions about what's up so far. What constitutes a "true name"? Does a Nameless have to perform a service to every person who introduces themselves? Is it a birth name? A predator king who shuns his human upbringing, and has gone by his First Tongue deed name for two decades. is Joshua Greene still his "True name"?
        Seeing as this was a Lodge concept I conceptualized with them hunting the Awakened as their Sacred Prey, the "True Name" of an individual would be what Mages would call their "Sympathetic Name".

Sympathetic Names
        In the womb, a human being has only a Connected link to her mother and a Strong one to her genetic father. At birth, this shifts to a Strong link to both parents and other primary caregivers, whether related or not, but babies don’t otherwise form sympathetic links until the sense of self develops. Once the Lie sets in that the world is separate from the self, a child begins to form her own links.

Even in adulthood, everyone’s sympathetic links bear a permanent reminder of that early time — the name that those with links to a baby think of her as becomes indelibly marked in her Pattern as her sympathetic name. No matter how many times a person changes her name through childhood and adulthood, once she forms links of her own the sympathetic name is set, and is both weakness and protection.

Also, a cool detail to throw in is to make Hallowed Name also have some strange or creepy interaction with the Knowledge Facet 'Know Thy Prey.' Maybe the gift fails automatically, maybe the gift user only gets back the name 'Nameless,' or maybe he 'knowing the name' portion of the gift fails, but the other bits don't (social merits, etc.) - just a strange gap in knowledge and a sense of the mark of the firstborn, manifesting in a sense of dread or a sense of trespassing, etc.
        Those are some interesting suggestions. I'll probably add that in as a second benefit to the Rite.

-=-

"The Rite also provides protection against the effects of the Knowledge Facet, Know Thy Prey. Any Uratha who target the subject with it suffer from a strange gap in information that's accompanied by a sense of dread or trespassing. They learn nothing of the names used by him, nor any Alternate Identity and Fame Merits he possesses. Furthermore, their successes are reduced by the adherent's Primal Urge, and they must make a successful Resolve + Composure roll or suffer the Confused Condition."

I was going to ask what Withstand rating the Blessing refers to, but I realize now that it's the Sympathetic Link's withstand. The sentence could maybe be a little clearer, but my confusion is also probably just due to my unfamiliarity with mage.

And I'm very excited for a write up of Feast of Names.
        Thank you.

I'm glad you like it. That tidbit Acro gave me on the Eater of Names way back helped a lot with defining the concepts for the Lodge. And yeah, I should probably revise that sentence somewhat to make it less confusing.

"My Homebrew Hub"
        Age of Azar
        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Amravanti

Here's a tentative write-up for "Feast of Names".

Feast of Names (•••••, Wolf Rite)
          Adherents of Humuz-Ur perform this Rite to punish their enemies and traitors. However, the most devout of their number have been known to offer their own names to the Totem so that they may better serve her cause.

Symbols: Anonymity, Connections, Sacrifice, True Name
          Sample Rite:

Cost: 5 Essence
          Action: Extended (20 Successes, each roll represents 5 Minutes)
          Duration: Special (See Below)

Success: The subject immediately loses all sympathetic links tied to him, and can no longer be affected through his True Name. Any magic that would target him through sympathy fails altogether, and Uratha with the Know Thy Prey Knowledge Facet gain no information on him unless they are Lodge members. The effects are permanent unless the subject can successfully petition Humuz-Ur to return his name.

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Updated the OP of this thread. And I'm looking forward to critique on the Sacred Hunt benefit, in particular.

"My Homebrew Hub"
            Age of Azar
            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Made updates to the Eaters' two rites, specifically an additional effect for Hallowed Name and a sample rite for Feast of Names. As always, critique and suggestions are welcome, especially since I need ideas for the sample rite on the former.

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Mechanics aside, you may be interested to know that the current version of the Eater of Names in First Tongue that I've settled on is Mu'Huhisfuruhasamsa. Bit of a mouthful, I know, but it has certain fun linguistic properties

- Chris Allen
                Freelance Writer, The Pack / Dark Eras / Werewolf: the Forsaken 2nd Edition / Idigam Anthology / Fallen World Chronicle / Trinity Aeon

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
                  Mechanics aside, you may be interested to know that the current version of the Eater of Names in First Tongue that I've settled on is Mu'Huhisfuruhasamsa. Bit of a mouthful, I know, but it has certain fun linguistic properties
                  OwO
                  Yeah, it is a mouthful, but I hope you don't mind if I use this. That said, what do you think of the whole writeup that I've done? And how did you think up the name?

"My Homebrew Hub"
                  Age of Azar
                  The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Working...
                  X