The Eaters of Names (2E Homebrew)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

Maybe I can remove the rote benefit to balance it out? Moving the ability to resist supernatural attempts to learn their names to the Hallowed Name rite could also solve the issue.
    It does feel like an ability that is not handed out lightly. Tiring it to a rite certainly removes that issue

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post

It does feel like an ability that is not handed out lightly. Tiring it to a rite certainly removes that issue
      Originally posted by falco1029 View Post
      Yeah, could work.
      Alright, I've left the tracking spoor benefit and moved the name protection aspect over to the Hallowed Name Rite. How does its writeup look with it?

-=-

Hallowed Name (•••, Wolf Rite)
      The Lodge recognizes the power to be found in knowing one's name, and that people are connected to the wider world by the abstract ties forged over the course of their lives. They also are aware that witches with the right knowledge can exploit those connections to work their magic upon a person, or those close to him. This rite is performed to hinder such tampering.

Symbols: Connections, True Name, Warding
      Sample Rite: The ritualist holds an item of significance to the subject and speaks their name. He then chants a warding mantra in the First Tongue, his words slow and steady as the desired enchantment is woven into being. (Presence + Expression)

Cost: 1 Essence
      Action: Extended (10 Successes, each roll represents 1 minute)
      Duration: 1 Month

Success: For the duration of the rite, any attempt to cast sympathetic magic on or through its recipient fails unless she spends a Willpower point, or knows his sympathetic name. Even then, this triggers a Clash of Wills, with the werewolf rolling Resolve + Primal Urge with the 8-again quality. At Storyteller Discretion, the effects can affect not only Awakened spells, but also other forms of ritual magic like Kindred Blood Sorcery, Sin-Eater Ceremonies, and the Rites of other werewolves.

The Rite also provides protection against sny supernatural attempts made to discover his names. Even Uratha who use the Knowledge Facet, Know Thy Prey, suffer from a strange gap in information that's accompanied by a sense of dread or trespassing. They learn nothing of the names used by him, nor any Alternate Identity and Fame Merits he possesses. They also must make a successful Resolve + Composure roll or suffer the Confused Condition.

"My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Honestly, that feels like it is at least a 4 dot rite. And it missing a Symbol. I recommend Hunger. It is the Eater of Names after all.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Honestly, that feels like it is at least a 4 dot rite. And it missing a Symbol. I recommend Hunger. It is the Eater of Names after all.
          I agree. How about the five-dot Feast of Names? Does it work as well for them? I also updated the dot rating and Symbols for Hallowed Name on the main post.
          Last edited by Deionscribe; 04-25-2018, 09:34 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Agreed.

Hmm. Is there conceptual "room" for a quasi-teleport-like effect that lets a hunting Pack travel along a targets name, like it was some kind of path? I think traditional tracking based on Sympathetic Connections is more in theme, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Other Name-based Rite ideas:
            * Empower attacks or other Rite usage against a Named target.
            * Defensive version of the above.
            * "Borrowing" a Target's identity, like a Demon's Identity Theft Embed.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Agreed.

Hmm. Is there conceptual "room" for a quasi-teleport-like effect that lets a hunting Pack travel along a targets name, like it was some kind of path? I think traditional tracking based on Sympathetic Connections is more in theme, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Other Name-based Rite ideas:
              * Empower attacks or other Rite usage against a Named target.
              * Defensive version of the above.
              * "Borrowing" a Target's identity, like a Demon's Identity Theft Embed.
              I like the third suggestion a lot. I might have to look up that Embed to see if it'd work, but the Guardians' Masque Merit is also another source of inspiration.

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

And finally, a Totem section for the Eater of Names herself. i'll be updating this section periodically.

-==-

Mu'Huhisfuruhasamsa
                Rank 6 Firstborn

Attributes: Power 13*, Finesse 15*, Resistance 10*
                Influences: Wolves 3, Names 5**, Secrets 2
                Manifestations: Image, Materialized, Reaching, Royal Avatar, Twilight Form
                Numina: Camouflage, Counterspell, Emotional Aura, Essence Thief, Hallucinations, Innocuous, Mortal Mask, Pathfinder, Sign, Soul Snatch, Speed, Untraceable

Size: 10
                Corpus: 26*
                Essence: 120**
                Willpower: 10*
                Defense: 13*
                Initiative: 31*
                Speed: 37*

Ban: The Eater of Names must offer a service to whoever tells her their True Name.

Bane: A weapon marked with the First Tongue glyphs for her True Name.

* - When struck by her Bane for the first time, the Eater of Names is treated as a Rank 5 spirit with the following Attributes and Traits. If she was injured while in this state, the duration is extended for long as she has damage to her Corpus.

** - As a Lodge Totem, the Eater of Names gains two Influence dots and receives 10 Essence per day.

*** - Owing to its deeper bond with them, Humuz-Ur is completely aware of the location, health and emotional state of all her adherents within 200 yards. Those who have offered their True Names to her (via the Feast of Names Rite) can be tracked anywhere so long as they are in the same plane of existence.

**** - Whenever she uses the Royal Avatar Manifestation to create a Herald for herself, Mu'Huhisfuruhasamsa commonly bestows upon it the Claim, Gauntlet Breach, Materialized, and/or Possess Manifestations.
                Last edited by Deionscribe; 05-06-2018, 10:03 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                Age of Azar
                The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Rank 5 puts her in range of Mage Spirit control, though...

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                  Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                    Rank 5 puts her in range of Mage Spirit control, though...
                    Assuming our hypothetical mage can even get to the god in person, of course.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

It is a bit of a glaring weakness especially for something that hunts mages and promotes the hunting of them.

Even if you don't want to add blanket immunity to things you could add Countermagic as a Numen. 'The spirit can reflexively countermagic any form of magic, including covert spells. Spend one Essence and roll Power + Finesse. If successes rolled for the spirit meet or exceed those for the spell, the spell is countered.'

It should probably have higher Influence in Names, too. The Thief of Names is the same Rank and has 5 and doesn't have a cult following.

I get the feeling you aim for more low-power games, is that accurate Deionscribe? I know some people don't like having Rank 6 or higher things in their settings.
                      Last edited by nofather; 05-01-2018, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                        It is a bit of a glaring weakness especially for something that hunts mages and promotes the hunting of them.

Even if you don't want to add blanket immunity to things you could add Countermagic as a Numen. 'The spirit can reflexively countermagic any form of magic, including covert spells. Spend one Essence and roll Power + Finesse. If successes rolled for the spirit meet or exceed those for the spell, the spell is countered.'

It should probably have higher Influence in Names, too. The Thief of Names is the same Rank and has 5 and doesn't have a cult following.

I get the feeling you aim for more low-power games, is that accurate Deionscribe?
                        Ah, the Counterspell Numen. It’s my favorite Numen for Mage. Seriously, it should’ve been in Mage 2E core - that alone could’ve dispelled much of the notion that mages can trample around spirits without fear of reprisal. (Well, Adepts and Masters of Spirit usually can, but still)

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

I was thinking of swapping out Aggressive Meme for Counterspell since it seemed more appropriate. If you pair that with the Untraceable Numen from Acro's Knight of the Crossroads, then it's almost impossible for most Mages to fight through sympathetic magic.

I get the feeling you aim for more low-power games, is that accurate Deionscribe? I know some people don't like having Rank 6 or higher things in their settings.
                          Perhaps I ought to take out Speed and/or Mortal Mask for more Influence dots? Alternatively, I could make the Nameless Wolves match the Tribal Pillars in influence (as they recruit from Forsaken, Pure, and Ghost Wolves) to give it that extra Influence dot alongside extra Essence.

As for your question of low-power games, the reason I aimed for making the Eater of Names a Rank 5 being was for story purposes. Sure, she's a Firstborn, but perhaps having no Tribe and being forgotten for the most part makes her weaker than the likes of the Tribal Totems and also puts her in a position like Isim-Ur of the Eaters of the Dead.

.... Now that I think about it, though, this disparity in power ought to be explored in a plot hook for the Lodge.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                          Age of Azar
                          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

Assuming our hypothetical mage can even get to the god in person, of course.
                            And avoid getting their soul snatched. But even then, having the Untraceable Numen already makes going after her very difficult.

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                            Ah, the Counterspell Numen. It’s my favorite Numen for Mage. Seriously, it should’ve been in Mage 2E core - that alone could’ve dispelled much of the notion that mages can trample around spirits without fear of reprisal. (Well, Adepts and Masters of Spirit usually can, but still)
                            I agree. It did deserve more than a small sidebar in "To the Strongest". On a semi-related note, I am thinking of swapping out one of the Numina I placed for Counterspell. Should it be Aggressive Meme, Speed, or Mortal Mask that I should take out?

"My Homebrew Hub"
                            Age of Azar
                            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Removing a Numen... tough choice. I’d get rid of Aggressive Meme.

Comment

Working...
                              X