Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deionscribe
    replied
    And finally, a Totem section for the Eater of Names herself. i'll be updating this section periodically.

-==-

Mu'Huhisfuruhasamsa
    Rank 6 Firstborn

Attributes: Power 13*, Finesse 15*, Resistance 10*
    Influences: Wolves 3, Names 5**, Secrets 2
    Manifestations: Image, Materialized, Reaching, Royal Avatar, Twilight Form
    Numina: Camouflage, Counterspell, Emotional Aura, Essence Thief, Hallucinations, Innocuous, Mortal Mask, Pathfinder, Sign, Soul Snatch, Speed, Untraceable

Size: 10
    Corpus: 26*
    Essence: 120**
    Willpower: 10*
    Defense: 13*
    Initiative: 31*
    Speed: 37*

Ban: The Eater of Names must offer a service to whoever tells her their True Name.

Bane: A weapon marked with the First Tongue glyphs for her True Name.

* - When struck by her Bane for the first time, the Eater of Names is treated as a Rank 5 spirit with the following Attributes and Traits. If she was injured while in this state, the duration is extended for long as she has damage to her Corpus.

** - As a Lodge Totem, the Eater of Names gains two Influence dots and receives 10 Essence per day.

*** - Owing to its deeper bond with them, Humuz-Ur is completely aware of the location, health and emotional state of all her adherents within 200 yards. Those who have offered their True Names to her (via the Feast of Names Rite) can be tracked anywhere so long as they are in the same plane of existence.

**** - Whenever she uses the Royal Avatar Manifestation to create a Herald for herself, Mu'Huhisfuruhasamsa commonly bestows upon it the Claim, Gauntlet Breach, Materialized, and/or Possess Manifestations.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 05-06-2018, 10:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied
    Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Agreed.

Hmm. Is there conceptual "room" for a quasi-teleport-like effect that lets a hunting Pack travel along a targets name, like it was some kind of path? I think traditional tracking based on Sympathetic Connections is more in theme, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Other Name-based Rite ideas:
    * Empower attacks or other Rite usage against a Named target.
    * Defensive version of the above.
    * "Borrowing" a Target's identity, like a Demon's Identity Theft Embed.
    I like the third suggestion a lot. I might have to look up that Embed to see if it'd work, but the Guardians' Masque Merit is also another source of inspiration.

Leave a comment:

• Vent0
    replied
    Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
    Honestly, that feels like it is at least a 4 dot rite. And it missing a Symbol. I recommend Hunger. It is the Eater of Names after all.
    Agreed.

Hmm. Is there conceptual "room" for a quasi-teleport-like effect that lets a hunting Pack travel along a targets name, like it was some kind of path? I think traditional tracking based on Sympathetic Connections is more in theme, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Other Name-based Rite ideas:
    * Empower attacks or other Rite usage against a Named target.
    * Defensive version of the above.
    * "Borrowing" a Target's identity, like a Demon's Identity Theft Embed.

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied
    Honestly, that feels like it is at least a 4 dot rite. And it missing a Symbol. I recommend Hunger. It is the Eater of Names after all.
    I agree. How about the five-dot Feast of Names? Does it work as well for them? I also updated the dot rating and Symbols for Hallowed Name on the main post.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 04-25-2018, 09:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FallenEco
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied

It does feel like an ability that is not handed out lightly. Tiring it to a rite certainly removes that issue
    Originally posted by falco1029 View Post
    Yeah, could work.
    Alright, I've left the tracking spoor benefit and moved the name protection aspect over to the Hallowed Name Rite. How does its writeup look with it?

-=-

Hallowed Name (•••, Wolf Rite)
    The Lodge recognizes the power to be found in knowing one's name, and that people are connected to the wider world by the abstract ties forged over the course of their lives. They also are aware that witches with the right knowledge can exploit those connections to work their magic upon a person, or those close to him. This rite is performed to hinder such tampering.

Symbols: Connections, True Name, Warding
    Sample Rite: The ritualist holds an item of significance to the subject and speaks their name. He then chants a warding mantra in the First Tongue, his words slow and steady as the desired enchantment is woven into being. (Presence + Expression)

Cost: 1 Essence
    Action: Extended (10 Successes, each roll represents 1 minute)
    Duration: 1 Month

Success: For the duration of the rite, any attempt to cast sympathetic magic on or through its recipient fails unless she spends a Willpower point, or knows his sympathetic name. Even then, this triggers a Clash of Wills, with the werewolf rolling Resolve + Primal Urge with the 8-again quality. At Storyteller Discretion, the effects can affect not only Awakened spells, but also other forms of ritual magic like Kindred Blood Sorcery, Sin-Eater Ceremonies, and the Rites of other werewolves.

The Rite also provides protection against sny supernatural attempts made to discover his names. Even Uratha who use the Knowledge Facet, Know Thy Prey, suffer from a strange gap in information that's accompanied by a sense of dread or trespassing. They learn nothing of the names used by him, nor any Alternate Identity and Fame Merits he possesses. They also must make a successful Resolve + Composure roll or suffer the Confused Condition.

Leave a comment:

• falco1029
    replied
    Yeah, could work.

Leave a comment:

• FallenEco
    replied
    Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

Maybe I can remove the rote benefit to balance it out? Moving the ability to resist supernatural attempts to learn their names to the Hallowed Name rite could also solve the issue.
    It does feel like an ability that is not handed out lightly. Tiring it to a rite certainly removes that issue

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied
    Originally posted by falco1029 View Post
    This is really cool. My only comment mechanically is that the blessing seems a bit potent, doing multiple things at once and both are pretty nice on their own, especially with rote on that clash.
    Maybe I can remove the rote benefit to balance it out? Moving the ability to resist supernatural attempts to learn their names to the Hallowed Name rite could also solve the issue.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 04-23-2018, 01:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• falco1029
    replied
    This is really cool. My only comment mechanically is that the blessing seems a bit potent, doing multiple things at once and both are pretty nice on their own, especially with rote on that clash.

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied
    I've updated the main post with a section for "Secrets of the Nameless". The tidbit on the Gift of the Void is a reference to this piece of homebrew.

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied
    Slight revisions and updates to these tidbits of the writeup.

--=--

Blessing: The adherent can use spirit senses to perceive sympathetic links, and can follow them as easily as other werewolves follow more concrete trails. Treat a sympathetic link as tracking spoor equal to its Withstand rating. Furthermore, any supernatural attempts made to discover his names do not work unless they succeed in a Clash of Wills. The werewolf rolls Resolve + Primal Urge with the rote quality for the Clash, and is immediately alerted to such scrutiny.

-=-

Feast of Names (•••••, Wolf Rite)
    The Eaters of Names use this rite to punish enemies and traitors alike. However, the most devout of their number have been known to offer their own names to the Totem so that they may better serve her cause.

Symbols: Anonymity, Connections, Sacrifice, True Name
    Sample Rite: The supplicant sits before a fire, chanting words of power in the First Tongue. He then offers to the flames a small wooden plaque bearing the true name and adorned with its bearer's blood, followed by items symbolic of his most important connections. As these sacrifices are consumed, the target's ties to his life up to that point are completely severed. (Manipulation + Occult)

Cost: 5 Essence
    Action: Extended (20 Successes, each roll represents 5 Minutes)
    Duration: Special (See Below)

Success: The subject immediately loses all sympathetic links tied to him up until the casting of the rite. If he is an adherent of the Lodge, he also benefits from the effects of the Untraceable Numen as the Eater of Names holds a stronger bond with him through the sacrifice. This benefit does not apply against the powers of other members.

If the rite is performed on a character regarded as an enemy (or is a renegade of the Lodge), the effects are different. He immediately gains the Soulless Condition as his soul is ripped away by the totem.

The effects are permanent unless the subject can successfully petition Humuz-Ur to return his name. Furthermore, the Firstborn can and will subvert the effects of the rite on one of its faithful should he commit a crime against the Lodge.

-=-

* - The Untraceable Numen was created by Acrozatarim.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...71#post1192771
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 04-20-2018, 12:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Yeah, lodges seem pretty open and this one seems like it could attract werewolves across the spectrum.

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied
    Quick question about this Lodge.

Would it make sense that the Eaters of Names also count a number of Pure among their ranks? The Fire-Touched (with their zealous faith in the Shadow and spirits) would be a natural fit with them.

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied
    Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
    Mechanics aside, you may be interested to know that the current version of the Eater of Names in First Tongue that I've settled on is Mu'Huhisfuruhasamsa. Bit of a mouthful, I know, but it has certain fun linguistic properties
    OwO
    Yeah, it is a mouthful, but I hope you don't mind if I use this. That said, what do you think of the whole writeup that I've done? And how did you think up the name?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X