The Eaters of Names (2E Homebrew)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deionscribe
    started a topic The Eaters of Names (2E Homebrew)

The Eaters of Names (2E Homebrew)

NAMELESS WOLVES, NANASHI, UNMARKED
    The werewolves of this Lodge are an ancient sect, and have existed in one form or another over thousands of years. They have accumulated a wealth of knowledge through the various favors and services done for fellow Forsaken, those well-versed enough in the occult to know of their existence, and (if the rumors are true) even the Pure. Yet one type of knowledge is deeply prized by them - the knowledge of True Names.

The Eaters of Names especially prize the True Names of Awakened, whom they hunt as their Sacred Prey. These men and women stand out among the herd, and learn to harness a power that's beyond even the wisest Ithaeur's understanding. With few exceptions, most Awakened roam the World of Flesh and delve deep into the Shadow and even stranger realms in search of Mysteries to comprehend. Uratha who catch on to these Obsessions compare them to their own instinct to hunt, but also give them a wide berth due to the lengths they could go to achieve them. The Lodge is particularly aware of this fact, as they tell stories of how the Wise ravaged the world time and again through their Hubris.

Nameless Wolves recruit members from different backgrounds. Forsaken adherents are typically Bone Shadows and Iron Masters, as those two Tribes have the most contact with the Wise through their respective forays among spirits and the herd. Storm Lords are also present in sizable numbers among the adherents. They are drawn to hunt Awakened who bind spirits into hosts for their own end, and a few have even gained Renown in hunts for those who are liches and body thieves.

From the Pure, the Unmarked recruit mainly from the Fire-Touched and the Ivory Claws. The Izidakh are the most erudite in the Lodge's occult secrets alongside the Hirfathra Hissu, and consider the Awakened to be the greatest despoilers of the Shadow due to both past and present deeds. Adherents drawn from the Tzuumfin, meanwhile, come from lineages who preserved enough tales from before the Sundering which spoke of the Wise hunting the gods for their hearts. These followers of Silver Wolf set themselves to researching family lines that have given rise to a numbe of mages, and they pay special attention to those dynasties where their strange magic manifests in those yet to fully Awaken.

Those Thihirtha Numea among the ranks tend to be one of two types. The first are those werewolves who never belonged to a Tribe before joining, and who come to consider the Eaters of Names as their own Tribe by virtue of its patron. The second are Uratha who had shed their allegiance to either the Tribes of the Moon or the Pure, and have chosen to devote themselves exclusively to the Lodge's affairs. Many of the latter undergo the Feast of Names, a ritual that sacrifices their True Names to the Totem, as a further expression of this.

TOTEM: MU'HUHISFURUHASAMSA, THE EATER OF NAMES
    The Totem of the Nameless Wolves is undoubtedly a Firstborn, but she stands apart from her siblings in pursuit of her own agendas. Like Death Wolf, she hunts for knowledge, and the True Names she has devoured over the centuries has given her a great degree of influence in the supernatural world. Indeed, in her true form, she appears as a massive dire wolf adorned with a multitude of glyphs, some of which are in the strange language used by the Awakened in their spellcraft.

Mu'Huhisfuruhasamsa (or Humuz-Ur, as she is often known by outsiders) has a contentious relationship towards the Awakened, especially those who intrude upon the Shadow and disrespect its residents. Mages who draw her attention run the risk of losing both their names and souls to her, and those who do suffer this fate seldom recover either.

The Nameless Wolves believe such aggression is due to a crime made by the Wise against their totem, a great Act of Hubris performed in the days before the Sundering. Some go so far as to claim that they were complicit in Father Wolf's death. Whatever the deed may be, the Eater of Names has never forgiven them for it, and she often rallies those Uratha who've taken her name to deliver her wrath upon any unfortunate Mage who has overstepped their bounds.

BONDS

Blessing: The adherent can use spirit senses to perceive sympathetic links, and can follow them as easily as other werewolves follow more concrete trails. Treat a sympathetic link as tracking spoor equal to its Withstand rating.

Aspiration: To sacrifice a True Name to Humuz-Ur

Ban: A Lodge member must perform a service to whoever tells him their True Name.

THE SACRED HUNT
    The Lodge Sacred Hunt grants your character the ability to track his prey through his true name. Should he gain knowledge of it, he is considered to have the benefits of Prey's Blood for the duration of the Siskur-Dah. If he has tasted its blood, he is always aware of how far his prey is from himself. Uratha with Reflected Facets may use it against such prey regardless of distance, and do not need to pay the Facet's cost if it's within a number of miles equal to their Cunning Renown.

TOOLS
    The Eaters of Names can purchase the Lodge Connections and Lodge Lorehouse Merits.

Hallowed Name (••••, Wolf Rite)
    The Lodge recognizes the power to be found in knowing one's name, and that people are connected to the wider world by the abstract ties forged over the course of their lives. They also are aware that witches with the right knowledge can exploit those connections to work their magic upon a person, or those close to him. This rite is performed to hinder such tampering.

Symbols: Connections, Hunger, True Name, Warding
    Sample Rite: The ritualist holds an item of significance to the subject and speaks their name. He then chants a warding mantra in the First Tongue, his words slow and steady as the desired enchantment is woven into being. (Presence + Expression)

Cost: 1 Essence
    Action: Extended (10 Successes, each roll represents 1 minute)
    Duration: 1 Month

Success: For the duration of the rite, any attempt to cast sympathetic magic on or through its recipient fails unless she spends a Willpower point, or knows his sympathetic name. Even then, this triggers a Clash of Wills, with the werewolf rolling Resolve + Primal Urge with the 8-again quality. At Storyteller Discretion, the effects can apply not just to Awakened spells, but also other forms of ritual magic like Kindred Blood Sorcery, Sin-Eater Ceremonies, and the Rites of other werewolves.

The Rite also provides protection against sny supernatural attempts made to discover his names. Even Uratha who use the Knowledge Facet, Know Thy Prey, suffer from a strange gap in information that's accompanied by a sense of dread or trespassing. They learn nothing of the names used by him, nor any Alternate Identity and Fame Merits he possesses. They also must make a successful Resolve + Composure roll or suffer the Confused Condition.

Feast of Names (•••••, Wolf Rite)
    Adherents of Humuz-Ur perform this Rite to punish their enemies and traitors. However, the most devout of their number have been known to offer their own names to the Totem so that they may better serve her cause.

Symbols: Anonymity, Connections, Hunger, Sacrifice, True Name
    Sample Rite: The supplicant sits before a fire, chanting words of power in the First Tongue. He then offers to the flames a small wooden plaque bearing the true name and adorned with its bearer's blood, followed by items symbolic of his most important connections. As these sacrifices are consumed, the target's ties to his life up to that point are completely severed. (Manipulation + Occult)

Cost: 5 Essence
    Action: Extended (20 Successes, each roll represents 5 Minutes)
    Duration: Special (See Below)

Success: Success: The subject immediately loses all sympathetic links tied to him up until the casting of the rite. If he is an adherent of the Lodge, he also benefits from the effects of the Untraceable Numen as the Eater of Names holds a stronger bond with him through the sacrifice. This benefit does not apply against the powers of other members.

If the rite is performed on a character regarded as an enemy (or is a renegade of the Lodge), the effects are different. He immediately gains the Soulless Condition as his soul is ripped away by the totem.

The effects are permanent unless the subject can successfully petition Humuz-Ur to return his name. Furthermore, the Firstborn can and will subvert the effects of the rite on one of its faithful should he commit a crime against the Lodge.

SECRETS OF THE NAMELESS

• The lodge has collected many exotic items of power from their hunts. Crafted by Awakened hands and imbued with their magic, these vessels prove difficult for many to wield, especially in the midst of the herd. Those who fail to master their powers unleash madness and discord to those around them. Those who do, however, are honored and feared in equal measure as they can wield some of their prey's high sorcery.

• In honing their skills as mage hunters, many Nameless Wolves often chase the same Mysteries as their prey. One schism in particular has found itself courting with paradoxical spirits to learn a Gift taught only by them. This Gift of the Void is indeed a potent tool against the Awakened, but it carries its own dangers and risks spiritually corrupting the rest of the Lodge.

* The Unmarked keep a secret tale about their Totem and her True Name. It tells how Mu'Huhisfuruhasamsa devoured it with her heart so that she may better hunt the Awakened with little reprisal from their magic. Fragments of her soul persist, however, each holding a piece of the Firstborn's True Name. These shards are highly sought after by the Lodge, for they hold the key for anyone ambitious enough to truly slay their Totem.

* There's one thing about the Feast of Names that few adherents are privy to. It allows the Totem to easily Claim from a distance Uratha who gave their name to her. While this is normally done on corpses, there have been times when a living adherent sacrificed their name for a true merger with an avatar of the Firstborn. Such individuals become potent vessels of the Eater of Names, empowered with her knowledge and spirit magic. Few survive being Claimed for long, as the Totem consumes their souls after a time. Those that do, however, are greatly changed by the experience.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 05-06-2018, 05:26 AM.

• Deionscribe
    replied
    I've made more updates to the Totem section to better reflect my ephemeral being house rules. Expect the rules themselves to appear on my hub later once I make the final touches.

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied
    Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
    Sounds reasonable. At first I thought only of a single scene... but that makes it way too easy for the god to just run away, recuperate, and strike back.

This all ties into that set of house rules you mentioned, I presume?
    It does. I'll be free for the weekends, so hopefully I can post them then.

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    Sounds reasonable. At first I thought only of a single scene... but that makes it way too easy for the god to just run away, recuperate, and strike back.

This all ties into that set of house rules you mentioned, I presume?

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied
    Using bans and banes to bring down a Rank 6+ entity’s traits to that of a Rank 5? That’s a nice idea. I see it as fulfilling both the “the gods proper shouldn’t be statted up” and “we still need some concrete way to interact with them” arguments.
    It certainly does, although I still need to work out the duration of this effect. Does a scene work as a minmum if it's not struck at least a second time to deal actual damage? While aggravated damage from the Bane prolongs it so long as it's not healed?

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    Using bans and banes to bring down a Rank 6+ entity’s traits to that of a Rank 5? That’s a nice idea. I see it as fulfilling both the “the gods proper shouldn’t be statted up” and “we still need some concrete way to interact with them” arguments.

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied
    Aside from giving myself another reason to post my ephemeral being house rules, I've updated Mu'Huhisfuruhasamsa as a Rank 6 Totem with some sidenotes for how to possibly handle a combat scene with her. The gist of it is that you need to have her Bane on hand to even consider fighting her.

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied
    Removing a Numen... tough choice. I’d get rid of Aggressive Meme.
    Done.

I've also added an extra Influence dot and raised the Essence the Eater of Names receives as a Lodge Totem.

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    Removing a Numen... tough choice. I’d get rid of Aggressive Meme.

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied

Assuming our hypothetical mage can even get to the god in person, of course.
    And avoid getting their soul snatched. But even then, having the Untraceable Numen already makes going after her very difficult.

Ah, the Counterspell Numen. It’s my favorite Numen for Mage. Seriously, it should’ve been in Mage 2E core - that alone could’ve dispelled much of the notion that mages can trample around spirits without fear of reprisal. (Well, Adepts and Masters of Spirit usually can, but still)
    I agree. It did deserve more than a small sidebar in "To the Strongest". On a semi-related note, I am thinking of swapping out one of the Numina I placed for Counterspell. Should it be Aggressive Meme, Speed, or Mortal Mask that I should take out?

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied
    Originally posted by nofather View Post
    It is a bit of a glaring weakness especially for something that hunts mages and promotes the hunting of them.

Even if you don't want to add blanket immunity to things you could add Countermagic as a Numen. 'The spirit can reflexively countermagic any form of magic, including covert spells. Spend one Essence and roll Power + Finesse. If successes rolled for the spirit meet or exceed those for the spell, the spell is countered.'
    I was thinking of swapping out Aggressive Meme for Counterspell since it seemed more appropriate. If you pair that with the Untraceable Numen from Acro's Knight of the Crossroads, then it's almost impossible for most Mages to fight through sympathetic magic.

It should probably have higher Influence in Names, too. The Thief of Names is the same Rank and has 5 and doesn't have a cult following.

I get the feeling you aim for more low-power games, is that accurate Deionscribe? I know some people don't like having Rank 6 or higher things in their settings.
    Perhaps I ought to take out Speed and/or Mortal Mask for more Influence dots? Alternatively, I could make the Nameless Wolves match the Tribal Pillars in influence (as they recruit from Forsaken, Pure, and Ghost Wolves) to give it that extra Influence dot alongside extra Essence.

As for your question of low-power games, the reason I aimed for making the Eater of Names a Rank 5 being was for story purposes. Sure, she's a Firstborn, but perhaps having no Tribe and being forgotten for the most part makes her weaker than the likes of the Tribal Totems and also puts her in a position like Isim-Ur of the Eaters of the Dead.

.... Now that I think about it, though, this disparity in power ought to be explored in a plot hook for the Lodge.

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by nofather View Post
    It is a bit of a glaring weakness especially for something that hunts mages and promotes the hunting of them.

Even if you don't want to add blanket immunity to things you could add Countermagic as a Numen. 'The spirit can reflexively countermagic any form of magic, including covert spells. Spend one Essence and roll Power + Finesse. If successes rolled for the spirit meet or exceed those for the spell, the spell is countered.'

It should probably have higher Influence in Names, too. The Thief of Names is the same Rank and has 5 and doesn't have a cult following.

I get the feeling you aim for more low-power games, is that accurate Deionscribe?
    Ah, the Counterspell Numen. It’s my favorite Numen for Mage. Seriously, it should’ve been in Mage 2E core - that alone could’ve dispelled much of the notion that mages can trample around spirits without fear of reprisal. (Well, Adepts and Masters of Spirit usually can, but still)

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied

I get the feeling you aim for more low-power games, is that accurate Deionscribe? I know some people don't like having Rank 6 or higher things in their settings.
    Last edited by nofather; 05-01-2018, 07:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
    Rank 5 puts her in range of Mage Spirit control, though...
    Assuming our hypothetical mage can even get to the god in person, of course.

Leave a comment:

• Vent0
    replied
    Rank 5 puts her in range of Mage Spirit control, though...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X