Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lodge of the Shepherd (2E Conversion)

SAHENDAR, SHEPHERDS, GATHERERS

The Lodge of the Shepherd is a young and very small, but its members claim that it has always existed in one form or another, as certain werewolves have always been willing to protect the Wolf-Blooded. They say that the bonds of the pack are among the strongest any werewolf experiences. But the bonds of family, of blood, hold the Uratha together as well. While some werewolves look down upon the uragarum, the Shepherds assert that the proper thing to do is to honor and protect them, for they are related by blood to werewolves and, therefore, Imru.

However, adherents do not treat those Wolf-Blooded who violate the Oath with mercy. Those who reject their heritage and the responsibilities it carries, who see the Uratha as monsters and hence choose to seek their destruction, are marked as the Lodge's sacred prey. Similarly, they hunt down those Wolf-Blooded who have been victimized by spirits, shartha, and other body-snatching horrors, intent on destroying them so that they no longer have to suffer such a fate.

The Lodge is open to Uratha of all five tribes. Herding Wolf does not accept Ghost Wolves, however, as he feels that any werewolf unwilling to commit to a greater family has no place with his adherents. Likewise, he does not accept werewolves who have never belonged to a pack, though he will consider those who have left or lost their packmates.

TOTEM: SIBATH-UR, HERDING WOLF
    A member of Black Wolf's umia, Herding Wolf is often called Kuluth-Ur (Trembling Wolf) by those who know and disdain its existence. Despite such a derogatory nickname, this Wolf-Brother is anything but a coward. He is fiercely protective of his adherents and their Wolf-Blooded kin. And he stands at the head of a pack of Uralath who consider it their duty to do the same.

Sibath-Ur demands that his followers treat each uragurum as a potential nuzusul, and this means that all portions of the Oath of the Moon should extend to the Wolf-Blooded. According to the Lodge’s precepts, Wolf-Blooded are both human and Uratha, and therefore enjoy the respect due both. The Shepherds recognize, however, that most uragurum do not have the strength of the Uratha, and require protection from those who would exploit them. In return, they expect their charges to follow the Oath, including respecting those above them (which naturally includes werewolves). The adherents' love is functional rather than tender, however, and their protection is very much contingent on their charges behaving appropriately.

BOND

Blessing: When conducting Social Maneuvering with Wolf-Blooded, a Lodge member raises his first impression towards Wolf-Blooded by one step. He also gains an exceptional success on all rolls made in such interactions at three successes instead of five.

Aspiration: To guide a Wolf-Blooded through the First Change.

Ban: An adherent must never abandon a Wolf-Blooded in his care.

SACRED HUNT
    The Lodge Sacred Hunt grants your character the ability to lay low those Wolf-Blooded who would dare defy his authority. Whenever a Wolf-Blooded attempts to take action against him, he must roll his Resolve + Composure at a penalty equal to his Primal Urge. On a failure, he takes the Frightened Condition towards the werewolf so long as he is in his presence.

TOOLS
    All Lodge members may purchase the Lodge Connections and Lodge Stronghold Merits. The latter are usually safehouses maintained by the Sahendar to serve as refuges for some of the Wolf-Blooded they care for.

TALES OF THE HERDING WOLF

• Several Shepherds in Washington and the neighboring areas have lately turned their attention towards an organization called the Talbot Group. Word had reached them that its members were seeking out Wolf-Blooded children, and that they were taken to a facility near the Olympic National Park. There, they have discovered that not only uragurum, but also werewolves, are being confined and supposedly 'treated'. Many of the Lodge call for a hunt to be declared against what they perceive as mistreatment of their kin. But some are considering alternative on how to approach the issue.

• In Tokyo, the Lodge of the Shepherd is one of the few groups seeking to bring together the disorganized Uratha. Its largest sect preaches a strong sense of Ainu identity, and works to find allies and recruits among packs like the Few Against Many and 36LOVE. Recently, though, the adherents find themselves at odds with agents of the Hototogisu, who seem keen on capitalizing on their efforts at uniting the local werewolves.

• Though the Lodge's main concern is the discovery and protection of Wolf-Blooded, certain schisms have been known to engage in questionable practices in their efforts to bring out more uragurum and nusuzul from the communities they tend to. They make liberal use of Lunacy and the Moon's taint to transform humans into new Wolf-Blooded, and are equally blunt in their attempts to force the First Change to occur. Orthodox adherents frown upon such brutal practices, and consider them a violation of the Oath of the Moon. Unfortunately for them, the actions of one such sect in the area have caused dozens of mortal hunters to converge upon it in force.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 03-13-2017, 06:58 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

Blessing: With a reflexive Wits + Primal Urge roll, a Lodge member can identify Wolf-Blooded and other werewolves on sight.
    This is already pretty much standard all across Uratha. If you catch somebody's spoor, you can tell if they're either. No need to state it again like it's something only shepherds got going. The rest is pretty alright.

Ban: An adherent must never abandon a Wolf-Blooded in his care.
    Wouldn't that interfere with disciplining wolf-blooded, particular those in their care?

SACRED HUNT
    The Lodge Sacred Hunt grants your character the ability to lay low those Wolf-Blooded who would dare defy his authority. Whenever a Wolf-Blooded attempts to take action against him, he must roll his Resolve + Composure at a penalty equal to his Primal Urge. On a failure, he takes the Frightened Condition towards the werewolf so long as he is in his presence.
    So their prey is also Blooded? Well, sure, Nuzusul are huge potential Oath breaches waiting to happen.

TOOLS
    All Lodge members may purchase the Lodge Connections and Lodge Stronghold Merits. The latter are usually safehouses maintained by the Sahendar to serve as refuges for some of the Wolf-Blooded they care for.

Hungry Mask (••)
    A Hungry Mask is a strip of fabric or leather with two sharp teeth attached. It is always powered by predatory or parasitic spirits, such as leeches, lampreys, and bats. While its power is invoked, its teeth sink into the flesh of its wielder, though blood is never drawn by them.

Effect: A Werewolf can use the Fetish to conceal his nature from scrutiny. While in Hishu Form, he gains a +3 bonus to the effects of Sheep's Clothing for a scene. And outside of populated areas, the benefit persists as if he had Primal Urge 3.
    Sheep's Clothing only afford penalties to pinpoint the Uratha in a crowd, or as anything but a human in that fashion, so you should translate them to that. Which is kinda difficult to imagine functioning as such, given you basically put on a leatherface mask and somehow that passes on thru scrutiny without a hitch.

Final assessment: This is a relic from an edition which didn't allowed Uratha to pinpoint wolfblooded at first sight (or scent, to be more apt), which was basically the main perk of the lodge, with the new approach to Uragarum, and how they develop into packs, not to mention the entirety of a tribe devoted to humans as sacred prey, it's something I can confidently dispense with.

Comment

Ephsy

Well, I can probably just keep the latter part of the Blessing, then. Though one idea I had was that Prey's Blood gives more accurate information if applied to Werewolves and Wolf-Blooded.

As for the Ban, I'm trying to iron it out a little more. But perhaps it could involve something along the lines of eating the flesh of Wolf-Blooded? I'm open to any suggestions you can give there.

Regarding the Sacred Hunt, I was also thinking about Wolf-Blooded characters who go on to become different kinds of supernaturals. As well as those with more than one Tell. Add in the fact that ordinary Wolf-Blooded are immune to Lunacy, and I was thinking of giving Uratha an edge against such individuals. Plus, being able to cause some of the Wolf-Blooded of an enemy pack to run away in fear is another thing to consider.

I'll probably scrap the Hungry Mask Fetish, but what about my pick of the Lodge Merits? Do they fit with the Shepherds?
      Last edited by Deionscribe; 07-20-2016, 02:26 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Say, would anyone have any suggestions to offer for overhauling this Lodge? While 2E has rendered a lot of points in the original writeup obsolete, I imagine there is still some promise in the concept of a Lodge which concerns itself with Wolf-Blooded.

"My Homebrew Hub"
        Age of Azar
        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Working...
        X