Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sun Walkers (2E Homebrew)

CHILDREN OF HELIOS, THE PROVIDENT, THE SUNSWORN

In carving out Luna's blessing from their bodies, the Pure seek to be free of her. They choose to make their own path rather than submit to the treacherous spirit's whims. Yet though they gain their freedom, they are forced to carry an emptiness that will always tempt them to crawl back to the Moon for forgiveness. The werewolves who became the first Sun Walkers sought to fill this void through another celestial patron.

The Lodge's adherents honor Helios with the same degree of devotion the Forsaken give to Luna, and are drawn chiefly from the ranks of the Fire-Touched. The Izidakh hold the sun's flames sacred, burning more intensely than any other fire and thoroughly cleansing all who are consumed by it. Those Tzuumfin among the adherents, meanwhile, are equally devoted. They exalt the Glorious Sun's constant radiance as superior to the changing faces of the Moon.

Sun Walkers take Lunes as their sacred prey. These spirits guide the Forsaken in the Moon's name, and carve upon their flesh her Gifts and Renown. By hunting them down, they deprive their traitorous kin of such blessings, and drive off her maddening influence from the People. Each slain Lune is a monument to Helios' power, and another anchor for his influence on both sides of the Gauntlet.

The Sunsworn are honored in many Anshega protectorates. In addition to negotiating on their packs' behalf to the normally bellicose Hellions, they are often called to lead hunts against Lunes who are acting openly within their territories. In contrast, they are viewed by the Forsaken with fear and hate. Many consider the Lodge's brutal predation of Lunes as a crime tantamount to violations of the Oath of the Moon. And those from Lodges tied to the lunar umia see the Sunsworn as existential threats.

TOTEM: IZIDUKSIUM-IGI, THE EYE OF PROVIDENCE
    The Hellion who bestowed its favor upon the Sun Walkers manifests as a living mandala of fire and light. Those who fall under its gaze are struck with a sense of awe and fear, and even the most devout adherents can't help but feel unclean whenever it appears before them. It claims to its chosen werewolves that Helios has tasked it with bringing them under his patronage.

Iziduksium-Igi seeks to rise up the solar umia, with the goal of deposing Helios himself and taking his place. It believes that Helios' hatred of the Uratha is misplaced, and that it should be turned instead towards Luna and her court. They, after all, had a hand in the Sundering, and their inability to keep the idigam from returning to the world further compounds their failures.

To that end, the Hellion uses its status as a totem to slowly grow in power and influence. It feasts on the Essence from its followers, and takes steps to quietly remove its fellow sun spirits from their places in the umia. Hellions of lesser Rank that are quick to rise in power are destroyed or at least stunted in their growth, and dihim (sometimes even diharim) are gradually weakened until they are forced down the court hierarchy. And each time this happens, the Eye of Providence is a step closer towards slaying Helios and becoming the new ilusar - one that will wrest the Uratha from Luna's influence and make them its own.

Only a select few of the Eye's adherents and brood know of its hidden agendas. And the Hellion works to keep it that way. Not only would the rest of the Lodge likely fracture were they to discover its deception, but its fellow sun spirits would undoubtedly be alerted and thus condemn it as a rogue.

Werewolves claimed by Iziduksium-Igi stand out from their fellow tribesmen. Their Renown does not glow with the blood red hue of the Pure. Instead, they blaze with golden fire, and it is said that those who touch them in the Hisil quickly pull away when they feel their hands burn. Other signs of the Hellion's influence can be seen in both their great fervor, and the sense of aversion they get whenever they are touched by the Moon's light.

Reflecting its hostility towards spirits of the lunar umia, the Eye expects its werewolves to slay them as proof of their loyalty to Helios. And many Sun Walkers routinely conduct the Sacred Hunt in order to offer at least one Lune for each phase of the moon. A few seek to go further in their devotions by attempting to track down one of the fabled maslunim. They reason that the sacrifice of such a powerful spirit would greatly please their totem, and that it would subsequently confer a great blessing to the Lodge.

BONDS

Blessing: The Lodge member gains a point of Essence upon seeing the sun for the first time in a day. Furthermore, Hellions typically start with average or good impressions towards him for the purpose of Social Maneuvering unless he has given them specific reasons to act otherwise.

Aspiration: To foil a lunar plot.

Ban: A Sun Walker must neither deal with nor flee from a Lune.

SACRED HUNT
    The Lodge Sacred Hunt grants your character the ability to sense Lunes and gauge their power. He may detect any Lunes within a radius of ten yards per dot of Primal Urge. If he looks at a moon spirit or an individual Ridden by one, he may reflexively learn the spirit's Rank, Influences, and Attributes. An adherent who encounters Forsaken during the Sacred Hunt may also perceive the extent of Luna's blessing upon them. By looking upon one of the Urdaga, he may reflexively identify his Auspice and the number of Moon Gift Facets engraved upon him.

TOOLS
    The Sun Walkers have access to the Lodge Lorehouse and Lodge Sorcery Merits, and may choose Sorcery Influences from Faith, Fire, and Sunlight.

Moontrap (•••)
    This fetish takes the form of a pendant carved from a piece of marble. The image of the sun overshadowing over the moon is engraved at its center, while the edges have First Tongue glyphs inscribed upon them.

Effect: Upon activation, the Moontrap affects every Lune in its presence for the scene. Each Lune takes the Beaten Down Tilt, and suffers Essence bleed at a rate of one point every [Rank] turns. Sun Walkers privy to their Totem's hidden agendas carry similar fetishes called Suntraps to affect Hellions.

TALES OF THE SUN'S PATH
    • As true servants of Helios, the Sun Walkers view the Temple of Apollo as heretics and deceivers of the highest order. And whenever the two Lodges cross paths, conflict is quick to follow. This is happening, now, in one city, as one of the Thebans' shrines was purged by Hellions loyal to the Sunsworn. The local protectorate has kept out of the fighting, so far, but its packs may soon be forced to act when the fires of the war threaten to destroy everything on both sides of the Gauntlet.

• The Lodge of the Fury Choir are among the Sun Walkers' greatest prey. Through their ties to the Ralunim, they receive blessings from the treacherous Moon which allow them to fight with even greater ferocity than most other Rahu. This same connection has also warned them of the Sun Walkers' hunting of Luna's umia. And soonafter, an attempt at hunting the Ralurnim's Totem ended with many Sunsworn dead at their hands. Now, they are coming for the rest of the sect, with numbers and power far greater than their own. Do the Lodge members stand their ground? Or do they risk their patron's wrath by choosing to flee from what will likely be their last battle?

• All of the Sunsworn are on edge. A Lune called Numun Sala had been spotted within the protectorate's boundaries, and it's being accompanied by a pack of Ghost Wolves who style themselves as a tribe. These Urdam soon send an envoy to the Pure, who preaches that their Totem will offer Luna's forgiveness to those who will join them. The Lodge takes those words as an insult, and promptly kill the messenger before moving to hunt down the rest of the pack. Their first attempt makes them quickly realize their mistake. The Lune of Mercy is an idigam, and the Su'ur it sent out to slaughter the first packs that confronted it are claimed by moon spirits that ran afoul of it.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 04-15-2018, 01:52 AM. Reason: Slight revisions to the writeup.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

And I've finally done it. A full write-up of the Sun Walkers Lodge. And I am quite proud of how well it turned out. As always, critique and suggestions are welcome.

P.S: The following section details the stats of the Eye of Providence, with the Essence score using the House Rules of GibberingEloquence.

The Eye of Providence
    Type:
    Hellion
    Attributes: Power 15, Finesse 10, Resistance 15
    Influences: Sunlight 4, Faith 4, Fire 4
    Manifestations: Reaching, Possess, Image, Materialize, Shadow Gateway, Twilight Form
    Numina: Aggressive Meme, Awful Presence*, Blast, Firestarter, Legion**, Seek, Five Influence dots

Health: 30
    Essence: 50
    Willpower: 10
    Defense: 10
    Size: 15
    Speed: 30
    Initiative: 25

Ban: The Eye of Providence cannot deal with or flee from a Lune.
    Bane: Fetishes empowered by Lunes.

Lodge Totem: The Eye of Providence receives 10 Essence per day and 2 additional dots of Influence.

* - Homebrew of amechra, inflicts the Beaten Down Tilt
    ** - Homebrew of GibberingEloquence
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 01-18-2017, 11:58 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

I like it, helios being patron of uratha is something I've been toying with myself (though in my version it helios is a replacement for luna as 'species patron' for a group of uratha, granting solar auspice to uratha to replace luna ones). The ban might need a tweaked wording, I read it as being a bit harsh, given it'd render the uratha completely unable to do anything to a lune except ignore it and stay in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Fumus View Post
        I like it, helios being patron of uratha is something I've been toying with myself (though in my version it helios is a replacement for luna as 'species patron' for a group of uratha, granting solar auspice to uratha to replace luna ones). The ban might need a tweaked wording, I read it as being a bit harsh, given it'd render the uratha completely unable to do anything to a lune except ignore it and stay in the area.
        Thanks

And yeah, the Ban still needs a bit more refinement. I've been trying to go over alternatives that wouldn't sound so crippling. And I was thinking of using the Blood Talons' Tribal Ban as a basis. How is this?

Ban: A Sun Walker must never surrender to a Lune.

"My Homebrew Hub"
        Age of Azar
        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

I can give you some feedback, if you want.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer & Developer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
            I can give you some feedback, if you want.
            That would be appreciated.

"My Homebrew Hub"
            Age of Azar
            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Ok, feedback thoughts:

​The Lodge is broad and unfocused. Its current main schtick seems to be 'serve a Hellion!' as per the Aspiration and the Sacred Hunt - except that doesn't really have anything to do with refining the Sacred Hunt. It needs refining down to something more meaningful. Fortunately, we have the seeds of that in the whole antipathy to Lunes thing.

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
              CHILDREN OF HELIOS, THE PROVIDENT, THE SUNSWORN
              Sun Walkers take all who would walk under Helios' light as their sacred prey. Whether it be spirit or shartha, human or Forsaken, those who think themselves safe in the day quickly have such hopes shatter before the claws of the Lodge's adherents. And even in the darkest of nights, the light of the Sunsworn's spirit allies can easily flush them out. This, they say, is proof of the Glorious Sun's power. And all who would dare stand against it are eventually struck down.
              They hunt in the day! But actually they're also dangerous in the night! Meh. There may be an interesting niche for day-time hunters but honestly I don't think these guys are it. You'd need significantly more interesting reasons why, cultic values and totem to pull that off effectively. This version is too broad and I can't see any particular pull for why a werewolf would feel a kinship for this, since werewolves can hunt during the day anyway.

TOTEM: THE EYE OF PROVIDENCE
              The Hellion who bestowed its favor upon the Sun Walkers is a powerful spirit that demands much for its patronage. It manifests as a living mandala of fire and light, and can easily scorch everything in its presence with a mere thought. Those who fall under its gaze are struck with a sense of awe and fear, and even the most devout adherents can't help but feel unclean whenever it appears before them.
              At this stage of reading through the Lodge, this guy bores the hell out of me - he's literally just a hellion with nothing else interesting about him. What is his agenda? Why does he want to be in charge of a Lodge? What sort of thing does he want his adherents to actually do?

Fortunately, things improve - we get the patricidal desire to rise the ranks and overthrown Helios much later on, but that's the sort of thing that really should be front and centre to this guy's motivations. Additionally, we get his hostility to the Lune choirs - and that is far more interesting indeed.

Indeed, the Eye of Providence holds great hostility towards spirits of the lunar choirs. It expects its werewolves to slay Lunes as proof of their loyalty to Helios. And many Sun Walkers routinely conduct the Sacred Hunt in order to offer at least one Lune for each phase of the moon. A few seek to go further in their devotions by attempting to track down one of the Maslunim. They reason that the sacrifice of such a powerful spirit would greatly please their totem, and that it would subsequently confer a great blessing to the Lodge should they succeed.
              This basically screams to me that the Sacred Prey of this Lodge should be Lunes.

Blessing: The Lodge member gains a point of Essence upon seeing the sun for the first time in a day. Furthermore, Hellions typically start with average or good impressions towards him for the purpose of Social Maneuvering unless he has given them specific reasons to act otherwise.
              This is ok. I see the parallels to the whole Auspice moon thing. It's a very nice Essence drip-feed so it'd be definitely appealing for Uratha in areas where there's not many Loci easily available.

Aspiration: To fulfill a service for a high-ranking Hellion.
              This Aspiration is incredibly boring given the context, and also makes no sense unless the Eye of Providence particularly wants to fulfil services for hellions more powerful than it is. I'd suggest the Aspiration to actually be to kill hellions more powerful than the totem, in order to open up spaces in the hierarchy for it to move up into.

Ban: A Sun Walker must neither deal with nor flee from a Lune.
              Works ok, and is another indicator that the Sacred Prey should be Lunes.

SACRED HUNT
              The Lodge Sacred Hunt grants your character the ability to track his prey anywhere so long as they are within Helios' sight. The werewolf enjoys the benefits of prey's blood whenever the prey is exposed to sunlight. If he tastes his blood during this time, he becomes aware of his exact location whenever he is exposed to the sun.
              It feels too broad in capability and the rest of the Lodge's context just doesn't really support it as a concept. These guys aren't a Lodge of 'you will be found anywhere under the sun, there is no escape' - they're a Lodge of trying to carve a path for their totem and of killing Lunes.

TOOLS
              The Sun Walkers have access to the Lodge Connections and Lodge Sorcery Merits, and may choose Sorcery Influences from Faith, Fire, and Sunlight.
              Why Lodge Connections? I can just about buy Lodge Sorcery but Connections feels extraneous. I would suggest that you cut it, rewrite the Lodge without it then, once you're done, go back and assess whether the Lodge really needs it still.

Sun Disk (ooo)
              This fetish takes the form of a stone pendant adorned with the Sun's image at its center, and First Tongue glyphs at the edges. Powered by the Essence of a Hellion, it is always warm to the touch, and glows with a golden light whenever its power is invoked by the wearer.

Effect: An Uratha who activates this fetish gains three dots in Influence [Sunlight], and uses a dice pool of Presence + Occult. If the Sun Disk is worn by a Sunsworn with Sunlight as a Sorcery Influence, he may instead raise his effective rating in it to •••••. And once per story, he may apply the rote benefit to the Influence roll.
              Relatively uninteresting - it just doesn't give me a solid hook into how the Sun Walkers act or how they hunt. This should really be something more specific and honed to their hunt and their activities. If it did something like entrance Hellions (making them easy prey) or weaken Lunes, that would be more interesting.

Overall, it needs refining, focusing and making a bit less... well, sorry to say it, but a bit less boring

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer & Developer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Acrozatarim

Well, I've been coming to the same conclusions myself. The Sun Walkers do need revisions in several points. And when I reviewed the write-up, I reaiized I should focus their Sacred Prey on Lunes. Of course, I'm not sure how I'd be able to handle that, seeing as I have this sneaking suspicion that the moon spirits differ somewhat by virtue of being not of Earth's Shadow. It's hard not to ignore a tidbit like "shed the very concept of 'definition' like worn out shoes" (from the Pack supplement).

And yeah, I should probably make more mention of the Eye's patricidal agendas at the first part of the Totem entry. So, that would probably mean bumping up the associated tidbit in "Tales of the Sun's Path", and replacing it with a story hook that would really highlight its potential fate as a rogue Hellion. As for the Aspiration, I think I will go with your suggestion. It would certainly open up interesting dilemmas for the Lodge members, especially if their Totem is indeed being dishonest about its intentions.

Ok, feedback thoughts:
                This Aspiration is incredibly boring given the context, and also makes no sense unless the Eye of Providence particularly wants to fulfil services for hellions more powerful than it is. I'd suggest the Aspiration to actually be to kill hellions more powerful than the totem, in order to open up spaces in the hierarchy for it to move up into.
                How's this?

-=-

Aspiration: To kill a high-ranking Hellion.

Works ok, and is another indicator that the Sacred Prey should be Lunes.
                How about if I reword it to "A Sun Walker must never surrender to a Lune". Does that work, too?

All in all, thanks for the critique It certainly helped me narrow down this concept a lot more.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                Age of Azar
                The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Of course, I'm not sure how I'd be able to handle that, seeing as I have this sneaking suspicion that the moon spirits differ somewhat by virtue of being not of Earth's Shadow. It's hard not to ignore a tidbit like "shed the very concept of 'definition' like worn out shoes" (from the Pack supplement).
                  Isn't Helios's light (daytime in the Shadow) supposed to weigh things down and make them less prone to change? I wonder if the Lodge could invoke that against the Lunes, or at least Time Jump them to day time to take advantage of that. Rite or some Gift of Time?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                  Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Acrozatarim

Made some of those much needed revisions to the write-up, though I'm still stumped on how to handle the Sacred Hunt and what sort of Fetish I can give the Sunsworn.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                    Age of Azar
                    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Acrozatarim
                      Made some of those much needed revisions to the write-up, though I'm still stumped on how to handle the Sacred Hunt and what sort of Fetish I can give the Sunsworn.
                      I don't think the aspiration works given what the sacred prey is, furthermore I'd consider that the totem's drive to ascend in it's Umia's echelons to be simply natural, and that building a lodge to be a legitimate way to do it. Furthermore, if only a few knew of the lodge's purpose... which is shared by every spirit (i.e. raise in rank) why advertise it with the aspiration?

Change it to this:

Aspiration: To thwart a lunar plot.

That way it's not something confined exclusively to combat.
                      Last edited by Ephsy; 07-24-2016, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ephsy View Post
                        I don't think the aspiration works given what the sacred prey is, furthermore I'd consider that the totem's drive to ascend in it's Umia's echelons to be simply natural, and that building a lodge to be a legitimate way to do it. Furthermore, if only a few knew of the lodge's purpose... which is shared by every spirit (i.e. raise in rank) why advertise it with the aspiration?

Change it to this:

Aspiration: To thwart a lunar plot.

That way it's not something confined exclusively to combat.
                        Hmm. That might actually work.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                        Age of Azar
                        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Here's another stab at giving them a Lodge Fetish. Might rename it to "Moontrap" and have it target Lunes instead of Hellions, but I'd like to know if the effects work alright.

Suntrap (ooo)
                          This deceptively named fetish takes the form of a pendant carved from a piece of marble. The image of the sun is engraved at its center, while the edges have First Tongue glyphs inscribed upon them.

Effect: Upon activation, the Suntrap affects every Hellion in its presence for the scene. They take the Beaten Down Tilt, and suffer Essence bleed at a rate of one point every [Rank] turns. Essence lost in this manner is channeled to the werewolf, refilling his Essence pool. Any Essence in excess of his maximum instead disperses over the area.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                          Age of Azar
                          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Here's another stab at giving them a Lodge Fetish. Might rename it to "Moontrap" and have it target Lunes instead of Hellions, but I'd like to know if the effects work alright.

Suntrap (ooo)
                            This deceptively named fetish takes the form of a pendant carved from a piece of marble. The image of the sun is engraved at its center, while the edges have First Tongue glyphs inscribed upon them.

Effect: Upon activation, the Suntrap affects every Hellion in its presence for the scene. They take the Beaten Down Tilt, and suffer Essence bleed at a rate of one point every [Rank] turns. Essence lost in this manner is channeled to the werewolf, refilling his Essence pool. Any Essence in excess of his maximum instead disperses over the area.
                            Essence stealing seems a bit much. Honestly, just messing up and depleting the Essence of the target makes it scary enough. Spirits return if killed... unless they are also out of Essence, so draining that before hand is a major threat.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                              Essence stealing seems a bit much. Honestly, just messing up and depleting the Essence of the target makes it scary enough. Spirits return if killed... unless they are also out of Essence, so draining that before hand is a major threat.
                              So, just keep it at the Beaten Down Tilt and the heightened Essence bleed?

"My Homebrew Hub"
                              Age of Azar
                              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Working...
                              X