Gamugur, The Unholy Host (2E)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamugur, The Unholy Host (2E)

For most idigam, change is the bottom line. Even those that coalesce are constantly seeking new ways to change the world around them. A very few, though, have rejected change. They’ve come to recognize that change for the sake of change leads to chaos. Gamugur is one of the rare idigam that values stability, and it has found that stability in the faith of humans.

Contrary to modern iconography, angels weren’t always described as humans with wings and halos. Always resistant to change, Gamugur has taken on the old-school appearance of an angel more in keeping with the descriptions found in the Old Testament or Dante’s Divine Comedy. Each of Gamugur’s three heads bears 33 never-blinking eyes, and its three mouths speak with one voice. Its body is sexless and has six arms and nine legs. Gamugur is borne aloft by blindingly white wings that are set in three rows on its back, and it is surrounded at all times by a nimbus of golden light.

[For more information on this Idigam, see p. 139 of Night Horrors: Wolfsbane.]

Gamugur, The Unholy Host
    Attributes: Power 12, Finesse 15, Resistance 10
    Influences: Faith 3, Stability 4
    Manifestations: Gauntlet Breach, Image, Materialize, Reaching, Shadow Gateway, Twilight Form
    Numina: Aggressive Meme, Emotional Aura, Fate Sense, Gauntlet Vision*, Implant Mission, Rapture, Resurrection**, Soul Snatch, Speed, Two Influence dots
    Essence Shaping: Essence Venom, Essence Void, Forge Servant (Claimed, Spawn***), One Million Eyes, Spirit Manipulation
    Dread Powers: Bane-Salve, Divine Clay, Mind of God, The Light

Corpus: 16
    Essence: 100
    Willpower: 10
    Defense: 18
    Size: 6
    Speed: 20
    Initiative: 20

Ban: Gamugur cannot directly harm religious officials.
    Bane: Communion wine blessed by the pastor of the congregation

Divine Clay: Gamugur may only reshape flesh to the form it had before an injury, due to its reluctance to alter even unhappy changes. Each success on a Power + Finesse roll downgrades injuries by one level, to a minimum of bashing damage.

Mind of God: After communing with the stars, communicating with the minds of humans is child’s play. Gamugur constantly hears the thoughts of humans as a kind of background murmur. By concentrating on a specific human, it can read that person’s mind, down to their deepest, darkest secrets. Characters who would like to resist this kind of mental probing must first have some idea that Gamugur is reading their minds. Since the idigam often answers question before they are asked, however, this is pretty easy to guess at after a character has personally encountered the idigam at least once. Once a character knows (or guesses) that Gamugur is digging around in her head, she may roll Resolve + Composure (plus any supernatural resistance trait) vs. the idigam’s Power + Finesse to resist.

The Light: While injury and disease represent a kind of change, reversing those changes through healing also alters a body. Instead of lowering itself to commit changes, Gamugur simply places disease and injury in a kind of stasis where they no longer hinder the inflicted. Using this power costs Gamugur three Essence. Wounds still heal at the normal rate, but diseases remain inactive for a number of days equal to successes in a Power + Finesse roll.

* -- Gauntlet Vision is a combination of the 1E Numina, Material Vision and Spirit Vision
    ** -- Gamugur's Resurrection Numen does not suffer any penalties based on how much time has passed since the death. However, any and all revived individuals become Ascended.
    *** -- The Cherubs are the result of Gamugur's Forge Spawn power.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 02-04-2017, 03:08 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Ascended
    The Ascended are the result of Gamugur’s meddling with the natural order of things. They are humans who have died, only to be brought back and stuffed into their mortal shell through Gamugur's Resurrection Numen. The trauma of their death and subsequent revival seriously screws with their minds, leaving them to wander in a souless daze.

The Ascended have no Integrity, and suffer from a persistent Thrall Condition. They cannot sleep and gain no satisfaction from physical pleasures such as eating, drinking or sex. They also ignore wound penalties, and are immune to the effects of mental tampering and any form of soul manipulation. Each has pool of 10 Essence, which can be refilled by the idigam using Essence Venom. Unlike most other recipients, an Ascended suffers no drawbacks from storing this Essence.

Each Ascended must serve the will of Gamugur due to the mixing of its Essence into their souls. If Gamugur were ever destroyed, the chains that bind the Ascended to Earth would be severed and their souls would be freed from their bodies once more. It’s possible that if all of Gamugur’s Essence was separated from the soul of one of the Ascended, kind of like leeching bad blood, the soul might go free.

Cherubs
    Cherubs are spirits that have been spawned from Gamugur, and thus reflect his appearance and power. Usually smaller and less powerful than the idigam (Size 3, Rank 1 or 2), the spirits act as guardian angels to the congregation Gamugur has adopted. They accomplish this feat by lurking in Twilight and using their Numina to reach out and tweak events so that nothing changes in their ward’s life. Cherubs share the same Ban and Bane as Gamugur as a result of being filled with Essence from the idigam, and they protect its cave in the Shadow from attack in addition to their other duties.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 07-29-2016, 10:15 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

2E Conversion of one of the Idigam found in the First Edition. Expect a few others from the Wolfsbane supplement to appear within the next few days.

"My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Has anyone used Gamugur in their stories? Just asking since I'm planning to do just that with the next.

"IT IS THE RABBIT!"

Comment

The bane seems kinda cheap. Most Idigam´s banes would require several plays to justify their adquisition.

Comment

Yeah, Rank 5 entities require very specific banes that take great effort to acquire.

Comment

Originally posted by Raistlin View Post
              The bane seems kinda . Most Idigam´s banes would require several plays to justify their adquisition.
              Originally posted by nofather View Post
              Yeah, Rank 5 entities require very specific banes that take great effort to acquire.
              I'm open to any suggestions

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

If you were sticking with the original background, communion wine blessed by the pastor of that congregation. Or a tumor or bit of cancerous flesh or bone from a member of that congregation, or from someone cast out from it.

Comment

If you were sticking with the original background, communion wine blessed by the pastor of that congregation. Or a tumor or bit of cancerous flesh or bone from a member of that congregation, or from someone cast out from it.
                  I'll go with the first one.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                  Age of Azar
                  The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Oops, I forgot to include that on my first comment. I thought the Bane a bit too cheap too. It kinda brings down the entire concept of incomprehensible alien horror the Idigam were supposed to be (I can about picture some of the players to throw their hands to their face screaming "I'm melting, I'm melting!"). I was entertaining a thought where the pastor is the actual Bane, so the hard part would be to make him aid the players against the Gamugur in order to utilize the Bane. Which wouldn't be such an easy feat, considering the pastor fully buys into this angel of the Lord-thing. Of course, this will require some digging in order to see if there are any Gifts available to the players they can use just to simply mind-control the pastor.
                    Last edited by Poison Elf; 10-20-2016, 03:09 PM.

"IT IS THE RABBIT!"

Comment

Could you give me a few examples of what someone could do with Stability 5? Sometimes I find the vagueness of spirit rules very unsettling, to the point they might just be handwaved. A guide to Influences would save my life!

Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmisky View Post
                        Could you give me a few examples of what someone could do with Stability 5? Sometimes I find the vagueness of spirit rules very unsettling, to the point they might just be handwaved. A guide to Influences would save my life!

Haven't given much thought to this, I have to admit I usually tend to wing it as the situation warrants. But on a quick thought, the couple of most useful applications against werewolves would obviously be preventing them from shifting form and halting their regeneration. It probably could also help Gamugur in staying hidden as it could utilize this to halt the corrupting effect the Idigam have on their surroundings. In broad strokes, at 5 dots it can pretty much do anything regarding prevention of change.

"IT IS THE RABBIT!"

Comment

Originally posted by Poison Elf View Post

Haven't given much thought to this, I have to admit I usually tend to wing it as the situation warrants. But on a quick thought, the couple of most useful applications against werewolves would obviously be preventing them from shifting form and halting their regeneration. It probably could also help Gamugur in staying hidden as it could utilize this to halt the corrupting effect the Idigam have on their surroundings. In broad strokes, at 5 dots it can pretty much do anything regarding prevention of change.
                          This does beg the question... isnt this concept absolutely anathema to the nature of the Idigam? I like the damage it could cause, mind you, but seems fo me Stability in an Idigam might be like Water Influence in a fire-spirit!

Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

Comment

Not really.

Idigam seek to become something, until then they're constantly changing. But once they find something that interests them they Coalesce and maintain a sense of stability as they start trying to become it. It's one of the few times they're really vulnerable, when they put themselves out there trying to solidify themselves in the universe.

Comment

Not really.

Idigam seek to become something, until then they're constantly changing. But once they find something that interests them they Coalesce and maintain a sense of stability as they start trying to become it. It's one of the few times they're really vulnerable, when they put themselves out there trying to solidify themselves in the universe.

Yeah, I kinda imagined the Idigam after the description that they are spirits of concepts that no longer exist, and yearn to "belong" once more. And while they might realize that coalescing makes them vulnerable, the need to become something again is more driving. Plus, it goes fairly well along with Gamugur's backstory. However, two things have sprung to mind of late, either can be thought of as trivial, but nonetheless:

Regarding the "cheapness" of its Ban and Bane, what makes it even more cheap is the fact that an Ithaeur just glances at it, and knows them. Acquiring them or utilizing them could be the problem, hence I was toying with the idea of making the reverend the actual Bane. The further thought was to use the Cahalith unless they actively seek them out. For example, having her dream about Jacob wrestling an angel, and of the Last Supper.

Secondly, the name itself. Gamugur could just as easily be read as Gamug-ur. Now what would you make out of that?
                              Last edited by Poison Elf; 10-29-2016, 08:21 PM.

"IT IS THE RABBIT!"

Comment

Working...
                              X