Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lodge of Arms (2E Conversion)

BLADE WOLVES, IRON BROTHERS, WAR HOUNDS

Of all the humans’ tools, weapons are one of the least used amongst the Uratha. Certainly, weapons are useful on those occasions when one must stay in Hishu but, given the choice, most werewolves would rather fight with their natural weapons of tooth and claw. The Lodge of Arms, though, understands the value of the weapon, be it sword, bow or gun. An armed human can prove dangerous to the unprepared, and the threat is magnified when they fight in groups. Similarly, an armed Uratha in Hishu or Dalu can be far more dangerous than one would expect. With a weapon, one can approach the danger levels of Gauru without any of the control issues.

The Lodge of Arms hunt human warriors, especially those skilled with the tools of war. Humanity has spread out over the last few hundred years through the exploits of great warriors and conquerers. Through conflict, they have changed the world, and the consequences of those changes also ripple throughout the Hisil. Unsurprisingly, such change is often not for the better. In matching wits with the greatest soldiers of the herd, adherents not only cull the most dangerous and troublesome among them, but also strengthen their role as hunters by revering the most worthy of their foes.

While the Lodge might appear to be one for the Rahu, that’s not quite the truth. It takes great conviction after all to take up arms for a cause you wholeheartedly believe in, and it is a sentiment any werewolf who upholds the Oath can relate to. The Lodge of Arms thus appeals to the warrior spirit within every werewolf regardless of Auspice, especially those who grew up in martial societies and warrior cultures before their First Change.

The Lodge recruits most adherents from the more martial ranks of the Iron Masters, though Bone Shadows and Storm Lords tie as the second most numerous contingent. Several of the most formidable Claimed have risen from the bloodiest battles in human history, and many of the weapons collected by the Blade Wolves make up an Esoteric Armory that they can draw on against more ephemeral prey.

TOTEM: BROTHER IRON
    The war-spirit is one of the oldest of its kind. Its body comprised of weapons from different cultures and time periods, it moves with a constant grinding and clinking as the weapons shift about within its mass. When the spirit speaks, it does do in a loud and thundering voice that cows all but the most dauntless souls.

Brother Iron is a being that arose during great unrest, birthed by the descent of a god's weapon into the World of Flesh. Together with other nascent war spirits, it sowed conflict and discord in the lands it rampaged through. It drove whole villages to ruin by inciting them to battle over even the smallest of slights, and it would have done worse to humankind if left unchecked for too long. Indeed, many wise shamans and seers would attempt to bind or destroy him, but none would succeed in their endeavor. Not even the Sundering could halt its rampage, for Brother Iron had truly entrenched himself by claiming a host from a warring tribe.

In the end, it would be the Uratha who would defeat it. Armed with weapons forged by their Ithaeur and secrets bestowed on them by Red Wolf, a pack of werewolves challenged the war-spirit into combat. They claimed they would best him through force of arms over the innate magic of the Great Predator. Should they lose, they would leave Brother Iron to itself for a time. If they won, however, the spirit's fate was theirs to decide. Laughing at their audacity and believing that the Uratha would fare little better than its other would-be tamers, Brother Iron accepted their challenge.

The battle that followed was long and violent, and many of the pack fell in the process. Yet as their arrows tore into its body and their swords and spears left deep gaping wounds, the spirit began to know true fear. It had never faced opponents that could truly match it in the art of war, and yet there and then these children of the Great Predator were clearly demonstrating otherwise. Soon, it was wounded to the point that it cast aside its host to try and flee. But the pack was quicker, binding Brother Iron in place for them to name him their terms.

It was this victory that laid the foundations for the War Hounds as a Lodge, and they would only grow over the centuries of human conflict. Brother Iron, for his part, has come to benefit from being the Lodge's patron. Generations of reverence from adherents and victories over a myriad of battle- and war-spirits have tempered it a great deal. The spirit is now a minor god of war whose martial might is balanced by its disciplined nature, and it continues to grow alongside the Blade Wolves' arsenal.

BOND

Blessing: The Lodge member applies half his Primal Urge, rounded up, as both a penalty against all attempts to disarm him and as a dice bonus to any rolls which involve the handling of weapons.

Aspiration: To defeat a worthy opponent.

Ban: To never refuse a direct challenge.

SACRED HUNT
    The Lodge Sacred Hunt grants your character the ability to assess his prey's combat skills. At a glance, he may determine his dots and Specialties in the following Skills (Athletics, Brawl, Firearms, and Weaponry), as well as any Fighting Style Merits he has invested in. Furthermore, any weapons used against him do not apply dice tricks and lower their damage rating by the Uratha's Honorary Rank, to a minimum of 0L.

TOOLS
    Lodge members may purchase the Lodge Armory, Lodge Connections, and Lodge Stronghold Merits.

Trial by Combat (Wolf Rite ••)
    This rite creates an area in which the spirits of weapons are suppressed, rendering them much less effective in killing opponents. This rite is always performed before any duel between lodge members, and it is also used with equal frequency to give them and their greatest foes a fair fight.

Symbols: Boundary, Duel, Weapons,

Sample Rite: The ritemaster sets a fire burning in the center of the dueling circle, and then walks around the boundaries of the area, marking it out with a weapon, stick or even his hands. Once the circle is complete, the ritemaster must douse the fire, thereby symbolically quenching the passion of spirits within the circle. At the end of the rite, he growls in the manner of a patient parent and invites the combatants into the ring. (Manipulation + Occult)

Action: Extended (15 Successes; 1 roll per minute)
    Duration: Scene
    Success: The area within the boundaries is appropriately blessed. While within the marked circle, any damage received from weapons is downgraded to bashing damage. This rite cannot affect attacks made with natural weapons, and its effects are lost if a character leaves the circle. If the circle is physically broken (the mark being scuffed out, most likely), the rite’s effects end.

TALES OF THE WAR HOUNDS

* A schism based in Greece and its neighbors nurtures an old feud against a sect of human hunters called the Lycos Agema. They claim to be the greatest warriors in the world for their determination to face and defeat Uratha in battle. Seeing it as a challenge against the Lodge as a whole, the local Blade Wolves routinely clash with the hunters in a vicious game of cat and mouse.

* War Hounds are ever on on the search for weapons that killed famous human warriors and commanders. They rightly suspect such artifacts to carry a measure of power upon themselves, and covet them to both prevent their fall into the hands of unworthy warriors and to empower their own martial prowess.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 05-20-2018, 10:15 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Making another conversion/write-up of a Tribal Pillar. This time, it's the Lodge of Arms. However, even with the tidbits given out in the Pack supplement, you can clearly see there are a lot of points that still need elaboration. Namely...

* Would the Lodge of Arms' Totem still be the Coveter? [Checked out; an original Totem referencing a certain Dark Era story hook was what I went with]
    * What could serve as the Aspiration and Ban for the Blade Wolves? [Resolved thanks to Amravanti]
    * Any critique/suggestions for the Blessing and/or Sacred Hunt benefit? [Checking out since I'm more or less satisfied with what I got]

As always, your input is appreciated
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 05-02-2018, 01:34 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

An Aspiration might be "To test my skill in my chosen weapon against worthy foes", perhaps?

Comment

Definitely change totem from the Coveter, I think. Not sure a generic fighter/weaponry spirit is interesting enough either, though. Even though the identity of the lodge has changed from blacksmiths and duelists who obsessively hone their craft, I personally think the competitiveness should still be a part of the nature of the lodge, so that's worth considering.

I would say "defeat a worthy opponent" is a good aspiration. Worthy in this case meaning equal or higher dots in your chosen combat skill (weaponry, firearms). Sort of like a Lodge of Garm channeled through the lens of a humanist/arms focus.

Ban: Never refuse a direct challenge.

I actually really like the Sacred Hunt benefit. I'm not sure I'm sold on the blessing. I'll have to think about it. It sounds really

I would love to preserve the idea of bonding with a weapon. Maybe a rite/fetish that prevents disarming or the loss of a weapon? Not sure. Maybe that's an idea that should be left behind, but I was always a fan of it. I love the idea of attuned/loyal weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by Amravanti View Post
          Definitely change totem from the Coveter, I think. Not sure a generic fighter/weaponry spirit is interesting enough either, though. Even though the identity of the lodge has changed from blacksmiths and duelists who obsessively hone their craft, I personally think the competitiveness should still be a part of the nature of the lodge, so that's worth considering.
          The flavor text of the 1E Lodge of Arms mentioned a Brother Iron. Perhaps I can reimagine the Totem as being a spirit that goes by that name?

I would say "defeat a worthy opponent" is a good aspiration. Worthy in this case meaning equal or higher dots in your chosen combat skill (weaponry, firearms). Sort of like a Lodge of Garm channeled through the lens of a humanist/arms focus.

Ban: Never refuse a direct challenge.
          The Aspiration and Ban are both good I'll be using them.

I actually really like the Sacred Hunt benefit. I'm not sure I'm sold on the blessing. I'll have to think about it. It sounds really

I would love to preserve the idea of bonding with a weapon. Maybe a rite/fetish that prevents disarming or the loss of a weapon? Not sure. Maybe that's an idea that should be left behind, but I was always a fan of it. I love the idea of attuned/loyal weapons.
          Really broad? Lacking? Whatever you intended to say, I'll probably agree with it. The 1E Blessing didn't seem apt, anymore, so I am trying to figure out what would replace it. As for how to preserve the weapon bonding effect, I would probably make that a (Wolf?) Rite based on agreements made with spirits of weaponry and/or battle.

And I'm glad you like the Sacred Hunt benefit.

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Weren't these guys the ones who bonded to specific weapons? Why should the blessing encompass all weapons? Or am I getting confused with the lodge of Swords?

Comment

Originally posted by Malus View Post
              Weren't these guys the ones who bonded to specific weapons?
              Yes. They went to great efforts to find the perfect weapon for themselves, awaken its spirit, and bind that spirit to the weapon, then bind that to themselves, basically becoming part Claimed. Having them as just warriors who use weapons seems to be ignoring a lot of potential with that.

At the least I'd think you would want the aspiration to be something like defeating a worthy foe 'with your chosen weapon.' Defeating worthy opponents is one thing the Siskur-Dah is meant to be about to begin with.
              Last edited by nofather; 07-31-2016, 08:20 PM.

Comment

I dig the Aspiration and Ban. To bring it more in line with their 1e incarnation I'd probably give them the Rote Quality on rolls to create, repair, and use weapons of their own making.

For the Sacred Hunt, since they specifically go after targets that show proficiency with weapons, I'd say they remove Equipment bonuses from the Prey. No damage bonuses from weapons and no roll augmentations. They are reduced to relying on raw capability and ingenuity.

Comment

Originally posted by Monghani View Post
                  I dig the Aspiration and Ban. To bring it more in line with their 1e incarnation I'd probably give them the Rote Quality on rolls to create, repair, and use weapons of their own making.

For the Sacred Hunt, since they specifically go after targets that show proficiency with weapons, I'd say they remove Equipment bonuses from the Prey. No damage bonuses from weapons and no roll augmentations. They are reduced to relying on raw capability and ingenuity.

Oooh. That Blessing works :3 Will be adding it in.

As for your suggestion for the Sacred Hunt, I added it as an additional point to the benefit.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                  Age of Azar
                  The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Totem could be something like Fire Forged Mother, a creativity spirit who fed on a fire spirit or something

Comment

I think I meant to say too broad.

Also, this current iteration of the Blessing is very similar to the Blessing of the Thousand Steel Teeth, except they have to spend willpower to gain the rote benefits. Which is a good way of gauging how much more powerful your current version is. Rote on weaponry rolls with no drawback? Even if you have to make the weapon yourself, that is a crazy powerful benefit.

Comment

I think I meant to say too broad.

Also, this current iteration of the Blessing is very similar to the Blessing of the Thousand Steel Teeth, except they have to spend willpower to gain the rote benefits. Which is a good way of gauging how much more powerful your current version is. Rote on weaponry rolls with no drawback? Even if you have to make the weapon yourself, that is a crazy powerful benefit.
                        So, would you suggest tagging a Willpower point cost to it, then?

Originally posted by Nyx View Post
                        Totem could be something like Fire Forged Mother, a creativity spirit who fed on a fire spirit or something
                        Nah. It doesn't seem to fit. I'll probably try to work out that write-up for a possible totem named Brother Iron and post it here to see what you guys all think.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                        Age of Azar
                        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

I may have an idea in mind for finally expanding this Lodge conversion. For starters, I had an idea of tying the Totem to a very specific Dark Era. Brother Iron is already described as being one of the oldest war spirits.

What if the spirit was one of several created by that weapon flung into the world from the Supernal Realm by the General?

"My Homebrew Hub"
                          Age of Azar
                          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Here's a tentative update on the Bond section for this Lodge.

-=-

Blessing: The Lodge member applies half his Primal Urge, rounded up, as both a penalty against all attempts to disarm him and as a dice bonus to any rolls which involve the handling of weapons.

Aspiration:*To defeat a worthy opponent.

Ban: To never refuse a direct challenge.

SACRED HUNT
                            The Lodge Sacred Hunt grants your character the ability to assess his prey's combat skills. At a glance, he may determine his dots and Specialties in the following Skills (Athletics, Brawl, Firearms, and Weaponry), as well as any Fighting Style Merits he has invested in. Furthermore, any weapons used against him do not apply the benefits of their damage bonuses and dice tricks.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                            Age of Azar
                            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

I've added my revamped Blessing to the main post, and I've also been adding more to Brother Iron's writeup by blending elements of the Coveter's fluff text from "Lodges: The Faithful" with a callback to the "War's Lonely Children" story found in the Sundered World.

As for the name, Brother Iron comes from the Lodge's 1e writeup. I've used it as the name for a war spirit that (may have) been created when the General hurled his weapon into the World of Flesh.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                              Age of Azar
                              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Working...
                              X