No announcement yet.

Lodge of the Splintered Tree (2E)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeing as a Totem doesn't necessarily have to be a spirit, I'm wondering now if I should revisit the old source material for this Lodge to create an actual Qashmal Totem instead of a magath.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
      Seeing as a Totem doesn't necessarily have to be a spirit, I'm wondering now if I should revisit the old source material for this Lodge to create an actual Qashmal Totem instead of a magath.
      Aren't Quashmal kind of transient, though? I'm not sure how well a Lodge would work if their Totem suddenly vanished (reappearing later being in question).

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Aren't Quashmal kind of transient, though? I'm not sure how well a Lodge would work if their Totem suddenly vanished (reappearing later being in question).
        Unless the Totem bond 'anchors' the Qashmalium. But I would like to see more 2nd Ed write ups before tweaking with them in that way.

Mind you, I'm surprised Azothic Radiance as the tracking bonus is not the Sacred Hunt blessing; something along the lines of 'within the targets Azothic Radiance, you are always considered to have Prey's Blood or ignore penalties'. Meh, I could just be making a fuss over nothing. Just if we already have a subsystem for detecting them, might as well use it.
        Last edited by FallenEco; 05-04-2018, 08:54 PM.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

I thought there was a 'bad' version of the qashmal but I'm way out of date on Promethean stuff. I do like the idea, if its transience is a problem it wouldn't be the only totem that was chained to a lodge against its initial will. A potential desire to kill an individual Promethean or motley could be, in a maddened state of unnatural captivity, repeated over and over and over again.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post

Unless the Totem bond 'anchors' the Qashmalium. But I would like to see more 2nd Ed write ups before tweaking with them in that way.

Mind you, I'm surprised Azothic Radiance as the tracking bonus is not the Sacred Hunt blessing; something along the lines of 'within the targets Azothic Radiance, you are always considered to have Prey's Blood or ignore penalties'. Meh, I could just be making a fuss over nothing. Just if we already have a subsystem for detecting them, might as well use it.
            Perhaps I can add in that bit of Azothic Radiance into the Lodge's Blessing? Making them have Prey's Blood within its radius could go well with giving them Azoth dots (or half that value) in tracking spoor. Alternatively, tying the "exceptional success at 3" benefit into Azothic Radiance and perhaps having it replace the spoor bonus could work.

For the Totem, what if it's some bizarre fusion of spirit and qashmal? It'd be a magath, and a very extreme example of one at that.

"My Homebrew Hub"
            Age of Azar
            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
              For the Totem, what if it's some bizarre fusion of spirit and qashmal? It'd be a magath, and a very extreme example of one at that.
              I feel as though that's getting into pat readings of the metaphysics; "a spirit merged with something that is not a spirit" is something much less understood than magath, which are "just" spirits that've been hybridized out of the natural order.

It's also completely unnecessary for the purposes of engaging story beats connecting Werewolf and Promethean — qashmallim are already formed for specific purposes and capable of strange feats like combining separate beings into one or instilling overriding imperatives in a subject, so there's ample plot potential in the Lodge's patron being either itself an ongoing Mission for a greater Messenger or the leftover byproduct of a more esoteric goal.

Personally I lean more toward the notion of an old stitched-together spirit-king that wants to call back the ghost of its scintillating creator with methods that very probably won't work the way it plans than the direct agent of a manifest Mission From God, but either way has things you can do with it.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
              Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                Qashmallim are already formed for specific purposes and capable of strange feats like combining separate beings into one or instilling overriding imperatives in a subject, so there's ample plot potential in the Lodge's patron being either itself an ongoing Mission for a greater Messenger or the leftover byproduct of a more esoteric goal.

Personally I lean more toward the notion of an old stitched-together spirit-king that wants to call back the ghost of its scintillating creator with methods that very probably won't work the way it plans than the direct agent of a manifest Mission From God, but either way has things you can do with it.
                ..... That actually can be a good direction to take my revision of this Lodge towards. I'll toy around with this when I get to work on the Totem writeup again.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                Age of Azar
                The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Working...
                X