Lodge of the Splintered Tree (2E)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deionscribe
    started a topic Lodge of the Splintered Tree (2E)

Lodge of the Splintered Tree (2E)

FIRE HUNTERS, THE INSPIRED, EMBER WOLVES
    I remember when we found the abomination, sitting at a small fire attempting warm itself by the sacred flames. It fought back with a fever that was not easily matched, but we had come prepared. And when it finally exploded in a burst of brilliant gorgeous red flame that singed our hair, we howled our triumph as a pack to the stars.

The Lodge of the Splintered Tree has its origins in the mid 80s, when a pack arrived at a deserted summer camp in response to the local spirits' cries of pain and anger. Something had poisoned the land, as underground fires began to belch noxious vapors which twisted and perverted everything they fell upon. Eventually, they discovered the cause to be a strange man with a patchwork body, and one not truly alive as mortals and Uratha are. The battle that followed was long and violent, and only ended when the creature perished at the pack's hands. Yet as it fell, a blast of Pyrothic fire came forth, leaving the werewolves in awe as it dispersed throughout the World of Flesh.

Since then, the Lodge has taken on these Created as their sacred prey. They kill and/or drive them off when found, excising them from their territory before it is warped by their very presence. Ember Wolves also hunt other creatures touched by what they call the Sacred Fire. Linked to Prometheans in one form or another, they range from mortal alchemists and twisted, misshapen horrors to entities that are neither spirit nor ghost and formed entirely of scintillating flames.

The Lodge draws in Hunters in Darkness and Iron Masters with a vested interest in hunting Prometheans. Some may have had bad encounters with these broken reflections of humanity, and/or have witnessed the effects of their Wastelands in their territories. A few Bone Shadows and Storm Lords also exist in their ranks, and are often well-versed in fighting certain Created strongly attuned to the Shadow and (to a lesser extent) the Underworld. Some Iminir who have had the (mis)fortune of facing down a qashmal even come to believe that the Created are a bizarre form of Claimed, possessed by those fiery entities in a manner not unlike conventional duguthim.

Ember Wolves tend to be a small presence in any given protectorate. Most opt for a nomadic lifestyle, where they can actively pick up and follow the trail of their prey. Those who maintain territories, on the other hand, routinely watch for Prometheans and Pandorans within their borders.

TOTEM: SPLINTERED TREE
    This spirit takes the form of a withered and burnt tree whose limbs are constantly clouded by smoke, the likely source of its name. It has also been known to appear as a humanoid-shaped fire, with eyes of deepest black and a voice that sounds like the crackling of wood. Whatever its chosen form, the Splintered Tree appears as it does because of the events that birthed it. The sequoia tree it was initially fettered to was consumed by a firestorm that was supernatural in nature. This calamity had been brought about by a being formed from scintillating flames, and it blazed through both worlds while twisting the forms of those it came into contact with. By the time the firestorm had faded into embers,

[MORE TO COME\

BOND

Blessing: When rolling to track a Promethean, the Lodge member gains additional spoor equal to his Azoth dots. Furthermore, he scores an exceptional success at three successes instead of five.

Aspiration: To witness a Firestorm.

Ban:

SACRED HUNT
    The Lodge Sacred hunt grants your character the ability to rend apart the energies of his Created prey. Every successful strike with his natural weapons removes a point of Pyros. By reflexively spending Essence, he may remove additional Pyros at a 1-to-1 ratio up to a maximum equal to the werewolf's Honorary Rank. If a Promethean's Pyros pool is reduced to zero, he instead suffers lethal damage equal to the Pyros that would have otherwise been lost.

TOOLS
    Lodge Members can purchase the Lodge Armory and Lodge Connections Merits.

TALES OF THE SACRED FIRE
    • Many adherents also come to have other reasons to hunt down Prometheans. They grow fascinated by the power of Sacred Fire, and how their prey bears it as their life force. Some are also drawn to the black fluid produced in their bodies produce over time. These werewolves comprise a schism that harvests this substance to enhance themselves, improving their prowess as hunters with each infusion taken from their prey.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 05-13-2018, 05:41 PM.

• Deionscribe
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    Qashmallim are already formed for specific purposes and capable of strange feats like combining separate beings into one or instilling overriding imperatives in a subject, so there's ample plot potential in the Lodge's patron being either itself an ongoing Mission for a greater Messenger or the leftover byproduct of a more esoteric goal.

Personally I lean more toward the notion of an old stitched-together spirit-king that wants to call back the ghost of its scintillating creator with methods that very probably won't work the way it plans than the direct agent of a manifest Mission From God, but either way has things you can do with it.
    ..... That actually can be a good direction to take my revision of this Lodge towards. I'll toy around with this when I get to work on the Totem writeup again.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
    For the Totem, what if it's some bizarre fusion of spirit and qashmal? It'd be a magath, and a very extreme example of one at that.
    I feel as though that's getting into pat readings of the metaphysics; "a spirit merged with something that is not a spirit" is something much less understood than magath, which are "just" spirits that've been hybridized out of the natural order.

It's also completely unnecessary for the purposes of engaging story beats connecting Werewolf and Promethean — qashmallim are already formed for specific purposes and capable of strange feats like combining separate beings into one or instilling overriding imperatives in a subject, so there's ample plot potential in the Lodge's patron being either itself an ongoing Mission for a greater Messenger or the leftover byproduct of a more esoteric goal.

Personally I lean more toward the notion of an old stitched-together spirit-king that wants to call back the ghost of its scintillating creator with methods that very probably won't work the way it plans than the direct agent of a manifest Mission From God, but either way has things you can do with it.

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied
    Originally posted by FallenEco View Post

Unless the Totem bond 'anchors' the Qashmalium. But I would like to see more 2nd Ed write ups before tweaking with them in that way.

Mind you, I'm surprised Azothic Radiance as the tracking bonus is not the Sacred Hunt blessing; something along the lines of 'within the targets Azothic Radiance, you are always considered to have Prey's Blood or ignore penalties'. Meh, I could just be making a fuss over nothing. Just if we already have a subsystem for detecting them, might as well use it.
    Perhaps I can add in that bit of Azothic Radiance into the Lodge's Blessing? Making them have Prey's Blood within its radius could go well with giving them Azoth dots (or half that value) in tracking spoor. Alternatively, tying the "exceptional success at 3" benefit into Azothic Radiance and perhaps having it replace the spoor bonus could work.

For the Totem, what if it's some bizarre fusion of spirit and qashmal? It'd be a magath, and a very extreme example of one at that.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    I thought there was a 'bad' version of the qashmal but I'm way out of date on Promethean stuff. I do like the idea, if its transience is a problem it wouldn't be the only totem that was chained to a lodge against its initial will. A potential desire to kill an individual Promethean or motley could be, in a maddened state of unnatural captivity, repeated over and over and over again.

Leave a comment:

• FallenEco
    replied
    Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Aren't Quashmal kind of transient, though? I'm not sure how well a Lodge would work if their Totem suddenly vanished (reappearing later being in question).
    Unless the Totem bond 'anchors' the Qashmalium. But I would like to see more 2nd Ed write ups before tweaking with them in that way.

Mind you, I'm surprised Azothic Radiance as the tracking bonus is not the Sacred Hunt blessing; something along the lines of 'within the targets Azothic Radiance, you are always considered to have Prey's Blood or ignore penalties'. Meh, I could just be making a fuss over nothing. Just if we already have a subsystem for detecting them, might as well use it.
    Last edited by FallenEco; 05-04-2018, 08:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vent0
    replied
    Seeing as a Totem doesn't necessarily have to be a spirit, I'm wondering now if I should revisit the old source material for this Lodge to create an actual Qashmal Totem instead of a magath.
    Aren't Quashmal kind of transient, though? I'm not sure how well a Lodge would work if their Totem suddenly vanished (reappearing later being in question).

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied
    Seeing as a Totem doesn't necessarily have to be a spirit, I'm wondering now if I should revisit the old source material for this Lodge to create an actual Qashmal Totem instead of a magath.

Leave a comment:

• Walksforever
    replied
    I've not read the new Promethean 2E rules yet.. need to cobble the funds together then I shall snag em. I've multiple updates to do for the City with Vampire, Werewolf, Mage and now Promethean... such fun such fun.... then onto Changeling when it hits lol ... ahhhhh the fun of writing.

The City
    http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...62429-the-city

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied
    Originally posted by Walksforever View Post
    Neat ... always neat to see my work popping up here and there and helping people come up with interesting ideas. Thank you.
    You're welcome
    I hope you don't mind the changes I've taken with the Splintered Tree's backstory. Given the new rules, a qashmal didn't seem right anymore. I have been thinking of changing it, though, from an elm/fire magath to the spirit of a sequoia tree instead.

Leave a comment:

• Walksforever
    replied
    Neat ... always neat to see my work popping up here and there and helping people come up with interesting ideas. Thank you.

The City
    http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...62429-the-city

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    And how is this for the Sacred Hunt?

-=-

SACRED HUNT
    The Lodge Sacred hunt grants your character the ability to rend apart the energies of his Created prey. Every successful strike with his natural weapons removes a point of Pyros. By reflexively spending Essence, they may remove additional Pyros at a 1-to-1 ratio up to a maximum equal to the werewolf's Honorary Rank. If a Promethean's Pyros pool is reduced to zero, he instead suffers lethal damage equal to the Pyros that would have otherwise been lost.
    That's a nice one.

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied
    Updated the Totem section, as well as some tentative (WIP) stats for the Splintered Tree.

The Splintered Tree
    Attributes: Power 10, Finesse 8, Resistance 12
    Influences: Elm 4, Fire 3
    Manifestations: Gauntlet Breach, Image, Materialize, Possess, Twilight Form
    Numina: Aggressive Meme, Firestarter, Implant Mission, Mortal Mask, Seek, Two Influence dots

Ban:
    Bane:

Corpus: 20
    Essence: 40
    Willpower: 10
    Defense: 8
    Size: 8
    Speed: 18
    Initiative: 20

Lodge Totem: The Splintered Tree has one extra Influence dot and receives 5 Essence per day.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 01-18-2017, 11:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied
    Originally posted by nofather View Post

While I think that would do it, I like the use of Renown for it too, and having an Essence per use with a cap of Renown makes it unique from the Eaters of the Dead one.

FEAR? Like the video game?
    This one ==> F.E.A.R. Corp Revised Book

And how is this for the Sacred Hunt?

-=-

SACRED HUNT
    The Lodge Sacred hunt grants your character the ability to rend apart the energies of his Created prey. Every successful strike with his natural weapons removes a point of Pyros. By reflexively spending Essence, they may remove additional Pyros at a 1-to-1 ratio up to a maximum equal to the werewolf's Honorary Rank. If a Promethean's Pyros pool is reduced to zero, he instead suffers lethal damage equal to the Pyros that would have otherwise been lost.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    So, maybe I should just cap it at one point per attack, just to play it safe?
    While I think that would do it, I like the use of Renown for it too, and having an Essence per use with a cap of Renown makes it unique from the Eaters of the Dead one.

Well, part of me was deciding whether or not to reimagine the Lodge from their 1E version in FEAR, especially since it might make more sense if it sprung up from the Forsaken, especially since its beliefs intersect with those of most of their Tribes.
    FEAR? Like the video game?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X