Possible Host Concepts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Korogra View Post

I really like this idea, its really cool!!
    Thanks. I struggle with traditional write ups though. So a lot of it is locked up inside my head.

Currently Running: The Shield Bearers - W:TF 2nd
    Currently Planning: The Dead End Kids - CoD
    Untilted Tenra Bansho Zero game
    Currently Playing: The Unusual Suspects - D:td, I am playing The Naturalist

Comment

Originally posted by salientmind View Post

Thanks. I struggle with traditional write ups though. So a lot of it is locked up inside my head.
      I think you could make the idea work on paper.

Comment

The Soul Hosts - this Host is bizarre in that its basic form "lives" naturally in Twilight. If it finds an appropriate mortal, it burrows into their soul, and "hatches" into the actually virulent form, which proceeds to infect other nearby mortals, forming a cult that "gluts" the original with Essence, leaving a cancer-god surrounded by a Stepford-esque mass of people.

The Soul Host conforms - the local Gauntlet becomes an antenna for the mind of the seed mortal. It's basic form looks like a warped, detail-less human - unlike other Hosts, it reproduces by making the local Spirits into copies of itself. It hybridizes as copies of the seed mortal - over time, the other infected mortals lose all individuality and become copies or extensions of the "original".

=---=

Let's give an example - the Soul Host finds a young lady named Jane and uses her for the seed. It then starts warping the local Gauntlet so that Jane's Resonance is massive and strong enough that it crowds out other sources of Essence. As a result, local Spirits are forced to adapt and turn into (essentially) Jane-magath, which Claim people - turning them gradually into copies of Jane.

Meanwhile, Jane's Host-infused ego blooms out into Twilight and leaves her body to fall into a coma. Killing her physical shell won't do anything - to root out the infection, you need to fight your way through the memory-palace her ego has formed in Twilight and destroy her core. At that point, the Jane-magath will start to wither into "basic" Soul Hosts, who set off to continue the progression...

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by Korogra View Post

I think you could make the idea work on paper.

Here is my attempt:
          The Razilu are driven by the need challenge others. The Serpent dwelled deep in rivers. It was a creature who was both wise and feared. Meeting the Serpent did not mean certain death, but it was a possibility. More likely though you would never be the same again. The Serpent challenged expectations and assumptions. Those who sought its advice for confirmation often left with only doubt, while those who came with open minds were shown a path to greatness. It did not do this out of altruism, but out of nature. It loved challenging other, and its favorite target was Father Wolf. It liked to drive the hunter mad with questions and challenges.

The Serpent was not killed by Father Wolf. The Serpent killed itself. As the Gauntlet came crashing down, it fed itself to its children to carry pieces of itself out of Pangea. They half succeeded. A few Razilu carried the shard into the ancient world, and they survived as the other Shartha did. They blended in with their mundane cousins, and they made themselves busy. Their game? First, they love to torment Uratha. Second, those that did not escape are stuck in the gauntlet. To escape they need power born of the challenge. They spend their time creating conditions that will help more of their brethren to escape.

Larval Stage
          Unlike other hosts, they begin life intangible. . They begin life as an urge that is self destructive to the individual or an illness/poison that slowly kills them. An impulse to cheat on a spouse, a stray thought about committing violence or even the sudden desire for a promotion despite the cost. The rush of excitement and the low of realization feed the Razilu. It grows in the spiritual heart of the victim. Their temptations grow as they grow. They grow as their host gives in. This situation ends in one of two ways. A cathartic rejection of its temptations drive the Razilu out, and then it seeks another host. The other is if the Razilu finally gets enough power, and it become solid. It become a real thing inside its host, and it begins to merge with the other.

Those that begin as an illness operate in the same way. They tie themselves to illnesses. As the human weakens, they and the illness get stronger. Every turn for the worse the person takes emboldens them. Every night spent sweating in bed, waiting for health, brings them one step closer to physical realization. They grow as the illness or poison grows. There are two ways for someone to be rid of the Razilu. First, is for the individual to be cured. Much like a cathartic rejection, the Razilu goes in search of a new host. The second is for the individual to die of their illness. Inside of them, the snake becomes real.

The Naga.
          A Razilu has worked with a mage to create a unique drug called Naga. Naga is based on Molly. After a lot of experimentation, the mage managed to create a drug that produces a large amount of essence. They did through by hiding an alchemical compound with a human soul bound within inside the inactive ingredients of the drug. As a person pops pills, they are also producing enough essence to be considered a locus. The majority of it wells up in the shadow, but it trickles in greater amounts to the gaunlet. To the Razilu. Where it grows faster and fatter than ever before.

The Mage is now working on a new version of Naga. One that produces more essence for the razilu and draws less attention. This Naga consumes the soul of the user and does not require a soul at production..

The two hope to help more and more Naga emerge from the gauntlet. The mage is happy to have someone help with its research. The razilu has made a devils bargain with an idigam whose form very much resembles the Serpent. Its motives aren't as clear.

From this point on, I would likely use the rules Cinder came up with.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...the-snake-host
          Last edited by salientmind; 10-29-2016, 09:15 PM.

Currently Running: The Shield Bearers - W:TF 2nd
          Currently Planning: The Dead End Kids - CoD
          Untilted Tenra Bansho Zero game
          Currently Playing: The Unusual Suspects - D:td, I am playing The Naturalist

Comment

I kind of want to adapt the Yetinsyny from Genius into Werewolf as the Ape Host.

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post
              The Soul Hosts - this Host is bizarre in that its basic form "lives" naturally in Twilight. If it finds an appropriate mortal, it burrows into their soul, and "hatches" into the actually virulent form, which proceeds to infect other nearby mortals, forming a cult that "gluts" the original with Essence, leaving a cancer-god surrounded by a Stepford-esque mass of people.

The Soul Host conforms - the local Gauntlet becomes an antenna for the mind of the seed mortal. It's basic form looks like a warped, detail-less human - unlike other Hosts, it reproduces by making the local Spirits into copies of itself. It hybridizes as copies of the seed mortal - over time, the other infected mortals lose all individuality and become copies or extensions of the "original".

=---=

Let's give an example - the Soul Host finds a young lady named Jane and uses her for the seed. It then starts warping the local Gauntlet so that Jane's Resonance is massive and strong enough that it crowds out other sources of Essence. As a result, local Spirits are forced to adapt and turn into (essentially) Jane-magath, which Claim people - turning them gradually into copies of Jane.

Meanwhile, Jane's Host-infused ego blooms out into Twilight and leaves her body to fall into a coma. Killing her physical shell won't do anything - to root out the infection, you need to fight your way through the memory-palace her ego has formed in Twilight and destroy her core. At that point, the Jane-magath will start to wither into "basic" Soul Hosts, who set off to continue the progression...
              That is rather horrifying, how do the Uratha respond to them? could they actually be infected since they have Souls? or are they immune as they are to all other Hosts ( well aside from the gut infesting lampreys)?

Comment

Sounds like you could kill or contain all the infected.

There's Twilight Purge, too. You could probably get a soul-inclined spirit to eat them up.

Them affecting other supernaturals would be painful to deal with. Perhaps Supernatural Tolerance acts as barrier? Or at least makes it more difficult?
                Last edited by nofather; 11-07-2016, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by salientmind View Post

Here is my attempt:
                  The Razilu are driven by the need challenge others. The Serpent dwelled deep in rivers. It was a creature who was both wise and feared. Meeting the Serpent did not mean certain death, but it was a possibility. More likely though you would never be the same again. The Serpent challenged expectations and assumptions. Those who sought its advice for confirmation often left with only doubt, while those who came with open minds were shown a path to greatness. It did not do this out of altruism, but out of nature. It loved challenging other, and its favorite target was Father Wolf. It liked to drive the hunter mad with questions and challenges.

The Serpent was not killed by Father Wolf. The Serpent killed itself. As the Gauntlet came crashing down, it fed itself to its children to carry pieces of itself out of Pangea. They half succeeded. A few Razilu carried the shard into the ancient world, and they survived as the other Shartha did. They blended in with their mundane cousins, and they made themselves busy. Their game? First, they love to torment Uratha. Second, those that did not escape are stuck in the gauntlet. To escape they need power born of the challenge. They spend their time creating conditions that will help more of their brethren to escape.

Larval Stage
                  Unlike other hosts, they begin life intangible. . They begin life as an urge that is self destructive to the individual or an illness/poison that slowly kills them. An impulse to cheat on a spouse, a stray thought about committing violence or even the sudden desire for a promotion despite the cost. The rush of excitement and the low of realization feed the Razilu. It grows in the spiritual heart of the victim. Their temptations grow as they grow. They grow as their host gives in. This situation ends in one of two ways. A cathartic rejection of its temptations drive the Razilu out, and then it seeks another host. The other is if the Razilu finally gets enough power, and it become solid. It become a real thing inside its host, and it begins to merge with the other.

Those that begin as an illness operate in the same way. They tie themselves to illnesses. As the human weakens, they and the illness get stronger. Every turn for the worse the person takes emboldens them. Every night spent sweating in bed, waiting for health, brings them one step closer to physical realization. They grow as the illness or poison grows. There are two ways for someone to be rid of the Razilu. First, is for the individual to be cured. Much like a cathartic rejection, the Razilu goes in search of a new host. The second is for the individual to die of their illness. Inside of them, the snake becomes real.

The Naga.
                  A Razilu has worked with a mage to create a unique drug called Naga. Naga is based on Molly. After a lot of experimentation, the mage managed to create a drug that produces a large amount of essence. They did through by hiding an alchemical compound with a human soul bound within inside the inactive ingredients of the drug. As a person pops pills, they are also producing enough essence to be considered a locus. The majority of it wells up in the shadow, but it trickles in greater amounts to the gaunlet. To the Razilu. Where it grows faster and fatter than ever before.

The Mage is now working on a new version of Naga. One that produces more essence for the razilu and draws less attention. This Naga consumes the soul of the user and does not require a soul at production..

The two hope to help more and more Naga emerge from the gauntlet. The mage is happy to have someone help with its research. The razilu has made a devils bargain with an idigam whose form very much resembles the Serpent. Its motives aren't as clear.

From this point on, I would likely use the rules Cinder came up with.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...the-snake-host
                  That is pretty good, a rather unique take on the ever ambiguous Snakes, and offers an actual chance at resisting infestation while surviving.. which is pretty unique in of itself.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                    Sounds like you could kill or contain all the infected.

There's Twilight Purge, too. You could probably get a soul-inclined spirit to eat them up.

Them affecting other supernaturals would be painful to deal with. Perhaps Supernatural Tolerance acts as barrier? Or at least makes it more difficult?
                    The core idea is that (to use the Jane-Host as an example) that Jane doesn't produce Happiness Resonance anymore (or for that matter, Sadness, Pain, Love, Clothing, etc, etc). She produces Jane Resonance. In such copious, overwhelming amounts that the local spirits have a choice of either starving or Magathing themselves. The resulting Jane-Magath are the ones that you actually have to worry about - that, and the actual pure-strain Jane Spirits that will start showing up.

Clearing an infection (of Jane, say) involves fighting your way into the Place-That-Isn't formed from Jane's memories and dreams, which is guarded by spirits that aren't too enthused about you going after their primary source of Essence (while the mortals that are becoming Jane will try to stop you in the material). Then you have to kill a bloated Jane-god-thing, and mop up the local Twilight to prevent the Jane Spirits from escaping to become full Soul Hosts.

They're a hassle, more than anything - the thing is that the Soul Hosts aren't inherently hostile (though watching Lunacy rip through an entire region of Twilight is awe-inspiring, let me tell you). Some daring Uratha can even find themselves with some intriguing new Gifts if they're on good terms with the warped Spirit Court. Hell, they don't even eat each-other - the stronger "hive" just converts the other into a copy of itself, so you have two Janes to deal with. If they're evenly matched...

=---=

As for what can serve as the host for the, well, Soul Host - I was thinking they target "base" mortals preferentially. They don't (some say can't) root themselves into something with a modified soul - their resulting servitors can and will Claim such juicy targets, however.

(As a side note, I love this kind of thing as a villain trope. Ask me about Infectious Girl sometime.)

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

Comment

Sort of makes me think of Tomie.

But it seems like you just killing Jane would be the most important thing, to keep Jane-spirits from respawning and magath spirits from getting more Janey and so forth.

I like it, it's sort of an idigam-level threat.
                      Last edited by nofather; 11-08-2016, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                        Sort of makes me think of Tomie.

But it seems like you just killing Jane would be the most important thing, to keep Jane-spirits from respawning and magath spirits from getting more Janey and so forth.

I like it, it's sort of an idigam-level threat.
                        Killing Jane will, unless you catch it early, just result in a mess of Soul Hosts. So Jane would be replaced with Tom, Dick, Harry, Steve, Clara...

Comment

while this is necroing the thread a bit, I did just think of that centipede-host idea that I had mentioned in my first post. I think it's a pretty good concept!

Uruku/Urukulu- The Corpse-Stitchers

There are many revolting and horrific breeds of shartha, but few are a strange as the Urukulu. It is thought that these disgusting things are cousins or a evolution/offshoot of the equally terrible Worm Hosts due to their connection to death and decay, these centipedes are very rare by Host standards, being found in a very few parts in the world ( such as Japan, some remote parts of China and South America, and very rarely the some of the more humid regions of the United States. What these grotesque creatures do is unique in that unlike most Hosts they do not possess humans - at least not directly. They are capable of infecting ghosts with their Essence and transforming them into semi-autonomous puppets, or "limbs" in which they use to possess human corpses while the main body ( a small, malformed centipede) remains hidden in a safe location within the shadow - meaning that each centipede can possess multiple bodies at once. These soul-puppets prowl the flesh side of the gauntlet for the purpose of hunting down the living ( usually the family members of the infected ghosts) and tormenting them, causing the spirit world to be saturated with Essence tainted by feelings of sorrow, fear, and remembrance towards the dead for the Host to feed on. This surge in Essence serves another purpose; it is the medium for the Urukulu's foul powers to take hold in. Like many Hosts the centipedes possess a strange and deleterious relationship with the Gauntlet: Whereas Spiders Weave webs into it and Rats Gnaw it to tatters, the Centipedes cause the barrier between worlds to Rot.

Like everything else with the Urukulu, this process is quite unique in that it doesn't affect the world in ways that other such Gauntlet manipulation does. In fact, what the centipedes do doesn't erode the barrier between the worlds of Flesh and Spirit.. but rather the Shadow and the infinite tunnels of the Great Below. As the Gauntlet decays, the spiritual and deathly realms begin to blur together, leading to several things occurring in a disastrous fashion. First, in an area afflicted by this necrotizing of the Gauntlet ghosts and spirits suddenly find themselves able to interacting with each other as easily as they can with their own kind as they pass through it - something about the dying barrier seems to infuse the denizens with a minute amount of energies from both realities. This often leads to both types of ephemeral creatures falling upon each other in crazed acts of violence and consumption, leading to the formation of large numbers of ghost-spirit hybrids. these magath in turn negatively affect the Flesh side of the Gauntlet, causing people, objects, and animals in the infected area to degrade in health and integrity while depressions begin forming in the spiritual landscape - sinkholes leading directly to the Underworld. This in turn leads to more ghosts and spirits stumbling upon each other, which creates more magath, which in turn worsens the condition of the material world and widens these malign cenotes. No one really knows happens to the Urukulu when these sinkholes grow large or numerous enough for their liking; some believe that the centipedes use these ruptures between as "fishing" holes, allowing them to capture their preferred prey, while others posit that the shartha want to use these holes to enter the Underworld - the hell if anyone knows why. What is certain is that these creatures represent tremendous danger to territories that they wander into, and if one does show up one must be incredibly vigilant. Any ghost can be a potential host for these things, any corpse a vessel for their dark designs.

Like all shartha, it is suspected that the Urukulu can evolve if they consume enough of each other and eventually transform into a hybrid form of man and centipede, though no one really knows how this works. Still, every now and then there are some packs who trade stories of large, serpentine monsters seemingly composed of dozens of corpses all melded and mashed together like a perverse train of limbs and other body parts, often trailed by crowds of listless people who are filled to the brim with ghostly centipedes..
                          Last edited by Korogra; 02-10-2017, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X