No announcement yet.

Possible Host Concepts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No I didn't think of how any of these things could affect the Gauntlet.
    I may have forgotten about "exploding into a swarm upon death" but now that I think about it the most logical solution (I think) is for those larger ones (like the Elephants) to either erupt into really tiny creatures that quickly grow to full, real-life size.

Comment

So a while back I found found a thread focused on something called "Etummu". I'm not entirely sure if that is how its spelt (my brain keeps arguing between "Etummu" & "Ettumu").
      Basically what it is is starting out concluding that shartha are "aborted shapeshifters", & that long ago the Uratha just beat them all (metaphorically speaking) in the game of life.
      Then it asks what if it wasn't the Uratha that won that metaphorical race & starts to build a gameline where the Etummu (who would be azlu in Werewolf: The Forsaken) won that race & the Uratha became just another shartha.
      It is very different from Werewolf & worth checking out if you're into the spirit world dynamics & want a break from Werewolf savagery.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is to mention (briefly) shartha that are connected to this idea.
      The game has two what I call "dominant" shartha breeds just like Werewolf.
      In this cause we have:
      A vicious pack-oriented wolf-host.
      Parasitic wasp-host.
      These I have not come up with, I'm just putting them up here.

I have come up with one minor shartha for this setting:
      Swarming, group-mind rats that nest in the Gauntlet, causing it to become diseased.

Finally, the Etummu stream also hypothesized (but didn't develop) the idea of a setting where the Beshilu, the rats had won, & I have come up with some shartha for that setting as well if anyone wants them:
      Lamprey/leech/etc. shartha that are the dominant variety of vampire in the setting.
      Vengeance seeking cat-host with a bone to pick with the rats.
      Minor: insane, savage, lone wolves whose behavior changes with the phases of the moon.

Comment

An alternative solution to the issue of massive animal shartha swarming upon death, is have them all tiny when they swarm, & then the surviving one with the essential "soul" of the host grows to full size.
        Or you could just sidestep the issue & say that this individual member of this variety of shartha refuses to swarm. I can see some of the Elephant Host having that attitude. It's all the egotistical arrogance.

Comment

I don’t remember reading that thread, it sounds interesting though!

Comment

I'm not surprised you don't remember reading that thread. I've always found it be annoyingly hard to find. Just remembered, the thread is on RPG.net.

Comment

Last shartha idea I've come up with.

The Leopard/Tiger Host
              So the reason why it's called the Leopard/Tiger Host is because I couldn't decide whether it should be a Leopard Host or a Tiger Host. They both feel so appropriate. The only real difference seperating the two is if it's a Leopard Host it should come from some part of Africa & if it's a Tiger Host it should come from India. Whatever the decision, the local Uratha would have cultural appropriate stories of these creatures & the problems they bring. They have a reputation for being very solitary & inspire much fear.
              So, what do they do? Well, nothing to the Gauntlet surprisingly. They can step across it if they want to but they can't affect it any way like the azlu, beshilu, & others can.
              This feline Host affects the Primordial Dream. With one of the Leopards/Tigers in the area, feeding becomes easier for Begotten & everything seems good. As time goes on, however, the Begotten will get hungrier faster, just as they fill up faster. The longer a Leopard/Tiger is around the worse the situation gets & if there's more than one, the affected area can start to grow.
              This is a situation that can only get worse, as with the increased feedings, Heroes are able to find Begotten far easier. And there are rumours that if the situation gets bad enough, the barriers between the Primordial Dream & the material world start to break down...

Comment

Originally posted by Krat05 View Post
                Finally, the Etummu stream also hypothesized (but didn't develop) the idea of a setting where the Beshilu, the rats had won, & I have come up with some shartha for that setting as well if anyone wants them:
                Lamprey/leech/etc. shartha that are the dominant variety of vampire in the setting.
                Vengeance seeking cat-host with a bone to pick with the rats.
                Minor: insane, savage, lone wolves whose behavior changes with the phases of the moon.
                In hindsight the association with the moon that this wolf host has doesn't feel quite right, so in my head that's been excised though the idea might make a comeback in some form.
                What's more important (in my opinion) is this idea I've developed about how they might affect the Gauntlet. See, with every kill they make a Scar forms on the nearby Gauntlet. For rules on how to bring these Scars into play read up the rules on Wounds. Yeah, these monsters appear to have some connection to this world's Maeljin.

Comment

The fly host, a variety of shartha that spreads the Darkness in its most basic form. They can only make new fly host shards in places that are sufficiently Tainted by the Darkness.
                  They can cause the Gauntlet itself to become Tainted via their presence if it runs through a a Tainted place. What this means is that I envision there being some kind of impediment preventing the Gauntlet to becoming automatically Tainted wherever it runs through a Tainted place. The fly host breaks down that impediment.
                  A result of this Gauntlet Tainting, the idigam called Guara-Neghinra considers them a massive threat, far bigger than the threat posed by the beshilu, despite being far fewer in number. The Gauntlet Tainting has also caused Guara-Neghinra to develop a split personality that appears only in the Tainted Gauntlet & works against the original personality, seeking to become the only Guara-Neghinra to exist.
                  Anyone fighting the fly host could find an ally in the original Guara-Neghinra if they play their cards right.

Comment

The Moon Host. Details about this rumoured Host are sparse but all agree that it has a strong connection with madness.

Comment

• I’m curious as to what exactly this Gauntlet Taint is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Korogra View Post
                        I’m curious as to what exactly this Gauntlet Taint is.
                        Looking back over the fly host, I realized that there were some things seemed obvious to me but I didn't actually clarify what those were for people who it might not be as obvious. Sorry.

Using the fly host implies you're running a crossover game.
                        It's a shartha which brings in Werewolf gameline.
                        It spreads the Darkness, which is the biggest, baddest threat that the Nobles face, thus bringing in the fanmade gameline Princess: The Hopeful.
                        Gauntlet Taint, as a result, is simply the Darkness infecting, corrupting the Gauntlet.
                        How this works, I'm not actually sure, you'd have to hunt down rules on how the Darkness normally works to figure out how Gauntlet Taint works.
                        Yeah, there are holes, but I'm better with ideas than mechanics.

Comment

• Ah. Well I know precisely zero about Princess: The Hopeful other than its the perfect fan game to recreate Madoka Magica in.

Comment

Working...
                          X