Unihar as a minor template

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unihar as a minor template

I know, I know some of you are thinking, not the unihar again. I wasn't a big fan of them either. But then I remembered a conversation I had a while ago with my friend about minor templates and how great they are.

So a while back my friend and I were discussing how great the minor templates are and how they help to develop your character through the game and evolve them into amazing characters. We discussed the minor templates of V:tR, M:tA, and W:tF. However, when he asked me if there are other minor templates in W:tF besides the Wolf Blooded I told him no. Then he asked me about the Unihar. I reminded him again that it was taken out. Then he asks, why couldn't it be turned into a minor template without the whole taboo (which we are thankful that it has been removed). I thought about it and asked him how will they fit into the game? He said, they will be a special type of wolf blooded who are pure breeds like in 1ed without the dumb taboo and monstrous child. I told him wolf blooded already have that. His point basically was to make the unihar a minor template equal to revenants and proximi, which wasn't bad and I actually like it. Reminds me of "Being Human" U.S. version with the pure breed twins. Unfortunately we haven't had any time to work on it because of school and work. I was wondering if you guys can help me out.

So far I've been asking myself questions on how they will fit into werewolf society, what type of powers or abilities will they have, and what effects or specials can they do and etc.. I looked at revenants and proximi and both can use the same source power as their major templates (vitae and mana). The unihar will have primal urge 0 and can store and use essence. As for their powers I'm not quite sure... They can't use gifts because it requires renown so how about dread powers? I was also thinking maybe they can shapeshift into some of the 5 forms, say...2 or 3 forms only including their benefits. Creating a unihar is the same as creating a wolf blooded except without integrity and tells. So far this is what I have come up and currently I'm trying to figure out the negative aspects of being a unihar, if there's any.

Some people seem to have an issue with the whole Shadow or magic part of the game.

Why not just let them have full shapeshifting at Harmony 9, or 8 if you want them to be able to shift at will. Completely bar the Hisil and spirits, including lunes and Renown and Auspice, from them. They have the bane of silver, no Gifts, the Primal Urge benefits without the sacred hunt penalty or Essence, so their regeneration just does bashing unless they're in Kuruth.

Basically a more classic movie werewolf.
    Last edited by nofather; 09-18-2016, 05:42 PM.

Comment

I sometimes keep forgetting that all minor templates have integrity. I guess harmony 9 wouldn't work. I'm still not sure if giving them access to all 5 forms would be good. Would it make them a little overpowered as a minor template? Yeah, the rest could work. I was thinking they could have some kind of power like revenants have disciplines and proximi have blessings. Of course they can't use gifts but maybe dread powers.

Comment

I just meant the equivalent of Harmony 9 or 8, in terms of ability to shapechange and Kuruth. They could still have Integrity.

It would make them pretty powerful but a ghoul can learn every Discipline there is and that's pretty tough too, revenants can learn every non-Clan specific Discipline. If you want you could just narrow it down to human, gauru, urhan. Or human, gauru, urshul. Or just human and another. But when you limit it to just one form you may as well be using a wolf-blooded, as there's Tells that allow you to shift to one form. Even if you're limiting it to two, then you could just have two of those Tells.

Boiled down, it's a shifting of Attributes and Traits and some increased healing and senses.

Comment

Yeah, three forms sound good. I'll probably stick to hishu, dalu, and urhan.

For primal urge benefits they can store and use essence for healing and use of dread powers, which I think I will stick to. Though I wonder what will happen once they run out of essence. Will they go into rage, wasu-im until they regain essence, go into a coma until someone gives them essence, or simply nothing. I always wondered that for werewolf

Comment

What about rites and numina instead of dread powers?

Comment

Numina is more of a ephemeral spirit type power, which I don't see the Unihar as. If anything dread power is more flesh and spirit. Well since the unihar can use essence they can also use rites too. I see why not.

Comment

Why can't they use Gifts, with something else (like half Willpower, or some Attribute mapped to each Renown) in place of Renown? Proximi don't technically have Gnosis or Arcana - they just roll Willpower. Why not these?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

I think they should be able to earn renown and gifts, but not start with any at all.

Originally posted by Cecoyotl View Post
                  So far I've been asking myself questions on how they will fit into werewolf society, (...)
                  As far as their place in society...

Originally posted by Wikipedia
                  The gray wolf is a social animal, whose basic social unit consists of a mated pair, accompanied by the pair's adult offspring.[c]The average pack consists of a family of 5–11 animals (1–2 adults, 3–6 juveniles and 1–3 yearlings),[9] or sometimes two or three such families,[3] with exceptionally large packs consisting of 42 wolves being known.[55] In ideal conditions, the mated pair produces pups every year, with such offspring typically staying in the pack for 10–54 months before dispersing.
                  I would argue that it would be a great way to tell stories about "mated pairs" and their children, protecting them and such. These pairs could then form alliances. You can get pretty big and complicated packs that result from werewolves, unihar, wolfblood, and humans all involved in big family networks which make up packs. The main conflict is that the Werewolves with Unihar children may consider the needs of their children's above others.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                    Why can't they use Gifts, with something else (like half Willpower, or some Attribute mapped to each Renown) in place of Renown? Proximi don't technically have Gnosis or Arcana - they just roll Willpower. Why not these?
                    I thought about this over dinner and it would make sense for them to use gifts. I wanted this at first but in order to use gifts you need renown, which allows werewolves to use and learn gifts. I didn't want to give the unihar renown because I feel it will be too close to their major template and because renown seem something like the uratha should only have. So I thought about it and decided why not give them something that mimics renown like "brands or marks". The unihar will get two marks (cunning, glory, honor, purity, wisdom) from their parent's auspice renown during their time of birth. Or gain a mark during the lunar phase they were born. And once they go through the first change the mark(s) they had will be put into their renown. Can they gain other "brands or marks"? I'm not sure yet.... This is just something I'm throwing out.

Comment

Originally posted by AForgeForThoughts View Post
                      I think they should be able to earn renown and gifts, but not start with any at all.

As far as their place in society...

I would argue that it would be a great way to tell stories about "mated pairs" and their children, protecting them and such. These pairs could then form alliances. You can get pretty big and complicated packs that result from werewolves, unihar, wolfblood, and humans all involved in big family networks which make up packs. The main conflict is that the Werewolves with Unihar children may consider the needs of their children's above others.
                      This sounds more like the Ivory Claws might do since family is a big thing for them. I can imagine that instead of wolf blooded they might have unihar. But I get what your saying.

Comment

Read The Pack, they have a Pack Merit that allows Wolf-Blooded to earn Renown and learn Gifts. Exactly what you need to put them on par with Proximi and Ghouls. The new merits combined with Tells allows for a Minor Template with pretty solid places to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by AForgeForThoughts View Post
                          Well, if you wanted to wrap it back around to the "Unihar = bad", you could give them a nice, easy, optional way to quickly gain Renown: they get their parents' Renown if/when they kill them. Nothing forces them to be patri/matri-cidal, but the incentive is there, so that some bad rep or stigma about Unihar is justified.

EDIT: An a scene regarding gaming the (proposed) system occurred to me: A parent is dying, and they ask the Unihar/child to be the one to end them, so as to pass on their power/Renown.
                          Last edited by Vent0; 09-19-2016, 09:17 AM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Monghani View Post
                            Read The Pack, they have a Pack Merit that allows Wolf-Blooded to earn Renown and learn Gifts. Exactly what you need to put them on par with Proximi and Ghouls. The new merits combined with Tells allows for a Minor Template with pretty solid places to grow.
                            Oh that's awesome! I got The Pack a few days ago, though I haven't finished reading it. I'll check it out and see what I can come up. Thanks dude!

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Well, if you wanted to wrap it back around to the "Unihar = bad", you could give them a nice, easy, optional way to quickly gain Renown: they get their parents' Renown if/when they kill them. Nothing forces them to be patri/matri-cidal, but the incentive is there, so that some bad rep or stigma about Unihar is justified.

EDIT: An a scene regarding gaming the (proposed) system occurred to me: A parent is dying, and they ask the Unihar/child to be the one to end them, so as to pass on their power/Renown.
                              Wow, the Pure will definitely hate them and the Ivory Claws will be conflicted. This will make them a big fat reminder of Father Wolf's death. Overall I think they will be look down upon in werewolf society.

Comment

Working...
                              X