what is taking so long?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is taking so long?

The original Trinity game started as a developer's idea in 1996 and was published in 1997. One year from inception to publication. The new Trinity Continuum has been in development since 2013, and looks like it won't be released until the summer of 2018. That's five years from inception to publication. What is taking so long? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious.

Colleen

My name is Colleen. My favorite song is "Wildwood Flower." My ambition is to write the complete history of the White Wolf/Onyx Path universe.

According to Ian Watson in the comments to this Monday Meeting post, part of the delay was there was a logistical bottleneck that prevented work on the core, which in turn stalled Aeon. They're currently working on clearing it.

Another reason has been hammering out the Storypath system, getting it into working order.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post
      According to Ian Watson in the comments to this Monday Meeting post, part of the delay was there was a logistical bottleneck that prevented work on the core, which in turn stalled Aeon. They're currently working on clearing it.

Another reason has been hammering out the Storypath system, getting it into working order.
      Yes, to your second reason. The biggest factor for the time spent in pre-development was creating the Storypath system. A ton of false starts, changes in crew, and then spending the time creating it and iterating on it once we had the right team in place. Balancing and checking, and all while the team did other work, some of which were their day jobs, and handled family issues. These are ultra-dedicated folk doing something they love, but unlike in the WW days as mentioned by the OP, they are not full-time employees with mandates to get a game slammed out in a year (or else).

Comment

All right, that makes sense. It's just that the Trinity Universe/Continuum is my favorite game setting of all time, and I can't wait to see what you guys do with it.

Colleen

My name is Colleen. My favorite song is "Wildwood Flower." My ambition is to write the complete history of the White Wolf/Onyx Path universe.

Comment

Originally posted by JulianMoon View Post
          All right, that makes sense. It's just that the Trinity Universe/Continuum is my favorite game setting of all time, and I can't wait to see what you guys do with it.

Colleen
          You should be pretty happy as we start ramping things up next year (2017)!

Comment

Yeah. I'd add that unless I am confused, Onyx Path is also effectively working on more projects than White Wolf was at the time Aeon was first introduced.

Comment

I counted. Not counting Cavaliers of Mars and Pugmire, OP is currently working on twenty tabletop roleplaying games. By contrast, White Wolf only had six games (including Trinity itself) back in 1997.

Comment

Actually, I forgot Scarred Lands, which is part of the D&D multiverse.

Comment

Scarred Lands was a bit after Aeon/Trinity.

Also, while White Wolf was only publishing Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Wraith, Changeling, and Vampire: The Dark Ages when Aeon was published, they were also publishing supplements for all of those games on a monthly or near monthly basis.

But it's not really fair to compare the two as White Wolf also had more resources and people to sustain such a schedule. Onyx Path is doing an excellent job, given the sheer number of games they have, the supplements they do put out, and the kickstarters they've been doing.

Comment

I agree. I'm definitely not criticizing them. I just miss the Trinity universe, and I was mad when I read the Kickstarter probably wouldn't happen till the fall of 2017.

Comment

Counter to the counter point, many of the supplements for the old days were very slap-dash affairs. I've heard of some books being crapped out over the course of a weekend.

Comment

Yes, the system is taking longer to develop, but it's going to be a hell of a lot more coherent and usable out the gate. I too am eager to see the new Trinity, but that's a fair trade.

Comment

You're absolutely right. Can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Flag View Post
                            Yes, the system is taking longer to develop, but it's going to be a hell of a lot more coherent and usable out the gate. I too am eager to see the new Trinity, but that's a fair trade.
                            Don't jinx it.

Comment

Working...
                            X