Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20 year old predictions in Trinity coming true?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 year old predictions in Trinity coming true?

Hello Trinity fans.

I was rereading some of my old Trinity books in preparation for a rerun of Darkness Revealed with some people new to the Aeonverse. I guess one of the things that made me love Trinity so much was their focus on the future and what could be, rather than get stuck in contemporary issues. The focus was on the BIG ISSUES, and trends. And one thing that struck me now was how accurate many of the predictions made in 1997 were.

The EU - Struggling against disintegration, Britain becoming isolationist.
    The US - Becoming more Authoritarian, withdrawing from globalism.
    China - More Neo-mandarin, more active in global politics.
    Technology - No ghost in the shell or Matrix, but Smartphones and Agents (Siri, Watson) doing what we ask of them.

Do you have any examples of things that were predicted 20 years ago in Trinity that you see as starting to happen in the real world?

To be fair, all of these are pretty standard Cyberpunk predictions which, as a genre, is about 15 years older than the Aeonverse. (Looking at your name, I guess you know that.)

Here's hoping the moon settlements come true in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by NullApostle View Post
      To be fair, all of these are pretty standard Cyberpunk predictions which, as a genre, is about 15 years older than the Aeonverse. (Looking at your name, I guess you know that.)

Here's hoping the moon settlements come true in the future.
      I agree to an extent, but if you look at the standard Cyberpunk themes of corporations dominating the world, breathable air becoming a commodity, and jacking into the Matrix, I'd argue the Trinity versions of stronger nation states, minicomps with Agents, and increased environmental awareness are also on the horizon.

I read a pretty interesting Wikipedia article about futurist predictions made by Ray Kurzweil, who has a pretty great record for technologies. But for societal changes, he predicted that with the fall of the USSR due to information technologies, authoritarian states wouldn't be able to keep control. The Great Firewall of China would strongly disagree. He also predicted a new world government by 2020, but the latest election results in Europe and the US also favor Trinity's prediction over his.

I dunnu. I'm not taking this super seriously, but I do think it's pretty cool that a White Wolf RPG with a bunch of sci-fi loving geeks has gotten so much of it right, compared to esteemed writers and futurists. Go gamers!

If you've got any of your own examples (for fun), I'd love to hear them!

(Also. Agree on the moon settlements. And good catch on the name. )

Comment

Originally posted by Wintermute View Post
        good catch on the name. )
        William Gibson, especially Neuromancer, was one of my first sci-fi loves.

Can't say I remember ever having read something by Kurzweil. Maybe it's time to remedy that.
        I agree with you on some of Trinity's "visions" possibly coming true in the near future. Now that 20 years have passed I'm curious to see what the writers of the new edition will come up with for the future.
        _______

If you think about it, many of Cyberpunk's "predictions" have come kind of true by now.
        Found something interesting about that recently called "2017 is a Cybepunk Dystopia": https://thenib.com/cyberpunk-dystopia

Comment

While Britain has always had a...complex...relationship with the EU, I'd never have expected us Brits to actually pull out and go it alone, and there's absolutely a buyers remorse out there now regarding the future of Britain and Europe. That part of Aeon's future-Europe always struck me as coming from a lack of understanding of the complexities of the British-EU relationship (we kinda 'loved to hate' the EU as an occasional national pastime - but still recognized its value).

I had, however, not banked on Nigel Farage and his knuckle-dragging xenophobes getting anything like enough pull to actually do any damage - or rather, the pro-europe voting block not bothering to vote out of complacency / anger at "Call me Dave" and his cronies, letting the isolationists (and, being frank, racists) get a win. I mean, even Farage was mortified when he realized he'd actually won.

Its a funny old world. **sigh**.

Trinity Continuum G+ Fan Community
          H.S.U.

Comment

Originally posted by Wintermute View Post
            Hello Trinity fans.

I was rereading some of my old Trinity books in preparation for a rerun of Darkness Revealed with some people new to the Aeonverse. I guess one of the things that made me love Trinity so much was their focus on the future and what could be, rather than get stuck in contemporary issues. The focus was on the BIG ISSUES, and trends. And one thing that struck me now was how accurate many of the predictions made in 1997 were.

The EU - Struggling against disintegration, Britain becoming isolationist.
            The US - Becoming more Authoritarian, withdrawing from globalism.
            China - More Neo-mandarin, more active in global politics.
            Technology - No ghost in the shell or Matrix, but Smartphones and Agents (Siri, Watson) doing what we ask of them.

Do you have any examples of things that were predicted 20 years ago in Trinity that you see as starting to happen in the real world?
            ​Make any mildly reasonable predication about how the world will go to hell in a couple of years and you'll be surprised (and horrified) how correct you are.

Comment

On Aeon Trinity’s brand of futurology

The whole Aeonverse operates on the core idea of, first, the appearance of potentially omnipotent superhero-like beings (who advanced human science worldwide at unprecedented rate) and, then, them, super-hero like beings, giddily wrecking our planet and civilization for extensive time period (which, understandably, rolled back the scientific and technical progress). Seeing, as we are both long past both the Bifurcation Point Event (“Galatea’s” crash of 1998) and the extent of the described events for our near future in-Universe (“Aberrant” gameline goes in details up to 2015), we can sigh with relief knowing well, that the authors, thankfully, were completely wrong. A good thing, really!

But, probably, the OP meant something completely different. For the last 20 years Humanity experienced many developments (understood broadly) undreamt off even without any “help” from handwavium superscience and/or from beings with magic-like superpowers. Some of said developments did coincide with the “predictions” as told to us by the authors of the original Aeonverse.

So, keeping this in mind and going along with the OP’s premise of viewing the Aeonverse through the Trinity era’s “lenses”, the question should be:

“What predictions about future developments (understood broadly) of Humanity did come true in the years since and which did not? Why?”

I’m keeping insisting upon this “understood broadly” part. I think we must start by separating two big “development” issues at the very beginning – the Scientific-Technological (S-T) ones and those concerning the Economy-Sociopolitical (E-S) sphere.

In my responses to the OP I’m going to argue against the idea that the Trinity gameline, did, to quote, “focus on the future and what could be, rather than get stuck in contemporary issues. The focus was on the BIG ISSUES, and trends” (c). With this I disagree completely, and claim that this is a wrong assumption concerning both S-T and E-S spheres of the development. Further, I’m going to claim that most of said predictions were totally off the mark.

At the same time, I will highlight, if appropriate, when the authors, nevertheless, were spot on in their predictions.

Comment

Part I. The illusion of the Scientific-Technical “Revolution”.

But the way the prophets of the twentieth century went to work was this. They took something or other that was certainly going on in their time, and then said that it would go on more and more until something extraordinary happened. And very often they added that in some odd place that extraordinary thing had happened, and that it showed the signs of the times.”
                - Gilbert Keith Chesterton, “The Napoleon of Notting Hill” (1904)

Here I’d like to talk about predictions made about humanity’s scientific and technical developments made by the original authors of the Trinity and how it correlates with our reality, 20 years since these predictions have been announced. I will also discuss the everyday technology of the people inhabiting Trinity’s future, and how it differs from our own.

But first – some obligatory digressions, so that we can all “come to common terms” and generally get on the same wavelength. Also, about some important generalities – like the history.

Chapter I. The Fundamentals.

Sooo… history. For the most part, people (in general) have no idea how to use it, well, usefully. They try to anyway. The results are predictably dismal. And one category of people repeatedly committing this mistake professionally is called “the futurologists”. The easiest way for one to become a “futurologist” is to take a large swathe of raw data (“history”), draw an impressive looking table picturing those or these trends, and then predicting that the history in the future will be developing just fine in accordance with already established dynamics. That’s the most laziest (and widespread) way of doing “futurology” – the exponential one.

The drawbacks of this approach are obvious. If one to follow it and, say, to take the trend of humanity’s energy consumption from the beginning of the XX c. to its end, then, while drawing the prediction on the future trends, they’d have to come to conclusion, that humanity will consume by c. 2020-2030ss virtually infinite amount of energy. Clearly, the exponential approach of predicting humanity’s development taken in its pure form to extreme is not quite accurate (to put it mildly).

Some futurologists try to “inject some sanity”, so to speak, by arbitrarily “breaking” said exponential trend at some point(s) – in the name of “making sense” of it, of course! So, in order to “stop the madness” and “make sense” out of this exponent, predicting the infinite energy consumption by 2030, they absolutely arbitrary insert a nearly flat line somewhere in 2020s part of the graph. And what this line really mean? It means a huge planet-wide catastrophe, capable of stumping the development of all of the humanity. But that’s not the job of the futurologists to dwell upon such trivialities – their job is only to “make sense” and present us with graphically pleasing charts.

The same goes to the so-called “Scientific-Technical Revolution” – the longest running one (dating back to the Industrial one) and most illusory of them all. Both of those approaches mentioned above won’t make any sense if applied to it and all “predictions” derived while trying to do “prognoses” about it would be, naturally, based on false premises. Because there is no such a thing as the “Scientific-Technical (or the “Informational”, if you like) Revolution”. There is no One Line (exponential or broken down at random) To Explain It All. Said “One Line”, that inadvertently comes into existence in the minds of futurologists as the symbol of the Future, is, in fact, just an average, a median of all different lines, symbolizing the different stages of development in different fields of science. So, we don’t have a “Revolution” here, but instead a series of “coup d’états”, “putsches” and “hostile takeovers” in the field of scientific progress – some of which, at time, work against each other, while advancing the common, median “trend”.

This is how it happens on the “inside”. Any given scientific field languishes for some time in its “incubational period”, and then – boom! We have a “scientific putsch” in one given sphere. For about 20-40 years it experiences an “active phase”, during which happens the qualitative development in this field, followed by (much longer) slow-down of the quantitative development, finally followed by the general stagnation if not the outright cessation of development whatsoever. But this “casualty” is not critical for the Progress – because the moment it goes down there surely will appear another rapidly developing scientific-technical sphere, which will immediately snatch the banner of the Scientific Revolution from its fallen comrade’s weakening grasp and hoist it even higher for all Masses to see!

Virtually all of these spheres of science can trace back their origins to the XIX c. Also, it goes without saying, that the number of said spheres of applied knowledge is not limitless. Meanwhile, due to the general progress in the way how scientific research is conducted (bigger body of knowledge, better research instruments and methods, etc.) and the sheer increase of the “brainpower” available on the planet, we have both quantitative and qualitative development in this meta-sphere. This basically means shorter “incubation periods” for scientific fields down the road, but also shorter “active phases” and sooner approaching “burnout” for them. In the long run, this will mean that there, probably, might come a moment, when the research resource will simply be “depleted”. But as the march of the Progress is just a series of “coups”, happening one after another in due time (but not all the sudden), so too these global techno-scientific slow-down will come up, well, measurably, piecemeal. In short, instead of implied catastrophe randomly inserted on the way of the glorious exponent (“bang”), we will see a naturally accruing curved line, gradually becoming a straight one over time (“whimper”).

These were fundamentals, now more closer to the “meat” of the issue, that has everything to do with the brand of futurology predictions professed by the Trinity gameline. I did use rather unwieldy (and, perhaps, alien sounding for the most of Anglophones here) term “Scientific-Technical Revolution” (STR), while always-helpful digital translaters (and dead tree dictionaries) offered me “an Information Revolution” phrase instead. No, my dearies, that term won’t do! Because STR also covers all the predecessors of the New Cool Kid of our time, this so-called “Information Age”. Before it there were Aircraft Age, Atomic Age, Space Age, etc, etc – and all of them were recognized as the latest and most important Thing of their respective Time. None of these newfangled Ages lasted longer than half a century. Yeah, sure – technically, we, humans, still construct new airliners, build new nuclear plants and launch ships to space… but nothing groundbreaking, epic, earth shattering (in the good sense – bad examples are too numerous to list here!) happens in these spheres, which, at best, now languish in their quantitative development phase.

Let’s take aviation! XVIII-XIX cc. were full of valiant and ultimately rather fruitless attempts to launch into the air something heavier than it – but these attempts (“incubation period”) also laid down the foundation for the qualitative surge which happened in early XX c. In 1905-1910 these ramshackle contraptions were, at best, mere toys for a few enthusiasts and a fad for the general public, one of the many “it-will-never-catch-ons” of the time. In just half a decade, every great power was fielding squadrons of hundreds of these “toys”, transforming the battlefield, strategy and tactics radically. Starting from the 1920s the airplanes became The Thing. Generals, thinkers, “futurists” of the era were of one thought – the New Thing is for Real, it’s to Stay and it is the New Era. For some of them infantry, bunkers, cruisers and battleships became immediately a “Thing From the Past”. Only bombers – lots and lots of bombers! – were the Face of The Future Warfare! There were signs and portents everywhere of them new prophets being right– first trans-Atlantic flight, then the first flight around the globe. Feats of human bravery and endurance, sure – but also more feathers into Air Marshals’ hats. WW2 saw the first deployment of the fighter jets and carpet bombing, late 1940s saw the first civilian jet liners. About the same time, Sikorsky managed to build and test successfully his transport helicopters…

And then – nothing. No qualitative development in the aviation sphere since then. Attempts to revolutionize it with some radical development were stillborn. Supersonic jets failed to become the New Thing. Who now remembers among the general population about TU-144 or the French Caravelle? The same fate shared the concept of the intercontinental bombers, but for a reason I mentioned earlier – they failed to compete with another up-and-coming sphere (the rocket science). Meanwhile rose-tinted promises of the earlier period, when the airplanes just only became the New Thing failed to realize. Despite all predictions by then futurologists, neither airplanes nor helicopters replaced the ordinary cars as the personal means of transportation for the masses.

But don’t you worry – the Atomic Age was already sprung upon us! Yes, at first its sphere of science also had been completely divorced from the practical applications. Even in 1930s many of the prominent nuclear scientists, including Bohr and Rutherford denied that this would ever change in the foreseeable future. And yet – in the summer of 1939 they will publish an article, which will soundly disprove their earlier claims and kick into a high gear series of events of the highest importance. These series of events, fueled by the acute fear and the desire to get “an edge” from one particular super-power (acutely afraid of other super-powers getting that edge earlier than them) will speed-through the purely theoretical field of science to first nuclear reactors and first atomic bombs in just half of decade. From then on, the atomic sphere was developing by leaps and bounds. Both the US and the USSR developed thermonuclear bombs virtually simultaneously. By early 1960s, virtually all modernly used types of nuclear power plants had been developed …

And then – nothing. Well, quantitative development only. Nuclear reactors became more powerful and less prone to failure (but still not completely safe), while bombs became more powerful and smaller. But there was still a hope, a lingering hope, a Holy Grail of the nuclear science, a holy cup of invigorative fusion… In 1950s then futurologists, these prophets of the new Atomic Age were assuring the people that the development of fusion reactors is a matter of few years – next decade surely will see it!.. In 1970s then futurologists were slightly less enthusiastic, and promised the long awaited scientific breakthrough by 1990s… But even in the late 90s of the past century there remained a cohort of incurable naives, who promised said “miracle just around the corner” to happen somewhere in “late 2010s – early 2020s”. These people, apparently, were unaware of the old Persian folktale with the punchline: “In 30 years either me, or shah, or this horse will die”. Would have saved them lots of shame and derision – because no, the horse is still not singing!

Now – the painful part. The (fleetingly shot) Space Age. In 1955 no rocket could fly more than several thousands of kms. In 1961 we launched a human being in space. In 1969 humans went to the Moon. In 1977-79 the space shuttle was developed, tested and launched – one of the kind project, but too rather short-lived. The most powerful rocket to date (“Energia”) had been tested in 1987. By early 1970s no futurologist, no new convert to the Space Age would have believed that in 30-40 years the humanity won’t reach the Mars, let alone – abandon the Moon for good. Sure – satellites are getting launched constantly, helping the humanity to connect with each other, to see their own planet from above with signs of human development and pollution upon its face – and for governments to spy on said humanity. Btw – said satellites are still being launched using ancient “dinosaurs” of the early Space Age, like “Protons”. Qualitative development? Sorry – I’m too old and cynical to believe in promises of our modern age carney-barker Elon Musk. Those who do – send me a postcard from your 2018 space cruise, will you?

Well, now the pattern should be obvious, I hope. Yet the Trinity and its brand of futurology managed to fall into this trap! Reading the picture of the future as presented 20 years ago you can’t help but be amazing at the level of the parochial, quintessential Western 90s worldview, with trends literally ripped out from the headlines of newspapers and zines of the time transplanted into the future – or worse.

So.... Late 90s. I’m a kid – a teen, but still a kid compared to my two elder brothers and their friends. Late 90s – and the Computer is the New Thing! We were promised virtually (geddit? “virtually”!) everything by this new God-Out-Of-Machine. Futurologists of the era were omnipresent, their promises were loud and tempting, and the army of their zealous converts – numberless. Only a few dared to pose some very pointed and uncomfortable questions. Like me. I’m a historian – a “bloody humanitariy”, to quote my friends and brothers. Back then, when we bought our first PC in 1999 my brothers began to teach me programming languages and basics of computer science. “But why?”, asked young me. I was told, that This Is The Future. My brothers are biologists (of micro- and biochemical analyses varieties respectively) – yet they were converted. I disappointed them, that for sure. I didn’t master the “BASIC” (I still remember some commands, though…) and fumbled at getting at grips with C++. My elder brothers and all those around them in the intellectual sphere of the late 90s – early 2000s was dead set that we, mere humans, must improve ourselves and expand our imperfect knowledge of the arcane mysteries of cybernetics to better serve our future digital masters. Instead, the Free Market gazed upon the huddled masses of common users and “lamers” and saw a potential Profit yet untapped. And so, the interface was dumbed down, things became more casual, and It Was Good. The Invisible Hand of the Market flipped a bird in the general direction of really smart, but naïve believers of the early Information Age. By mid 2000s one of my brothers used the PC only to play FPSs, while another – to play MMORPGs, their earlier attempts of programming all but forgotten. Quick and cheap limitless (and wireless!) Internet by later mid-2000s was a small Revolution in itself, without which everything else won’t be probably economically viable and/or possible. And after that…

One thing, one promised thing is lacking though – no “virtual reality” as promised by its Adepts back then. Virtual Reality helmets and gloves – who remembers them? Gone. Google-Glass, this new nearly assured earth-shattering New Thing, that was “just around the corner” a few years ago? Didn’t catch up. Deep down we, imperfect human beings, remain fearful creatures, who are panic-stricken at the prospect of loosing Oneself – and what’s the better way to do that than via clearly alien, extra-bodily device promising an entry into the realm of hallucinations? Nah! Besides – people manage to submerge themselves fully, dropping out from the RL, even without some devices – and the Free Market is Pleased.

Even the Internet (or whatever future mass Network will replace it) is overrated. Basically, it’s just a combination of mail, phone, advertising and information agency, huge library, MEDIA source/outlet and a pen club. It just combined all of them – but didn’t invent in the first place. Now I can freely chat online with no backlog with people via Skype living half a world away. Still – a quantitative development. People could do that since 1854, when the first telephone cables had been laid down across the Atlantic.

Sadly, this enthusiasm of the proselyte is all but palatable when you are reading Trinity’s books. I, personally, can’t say therefore that ideas promulgated therein did “age well”.

Comment

Chapter II. Wires – wires everywhere!

It’s the 22nd century and humanity has more and better technology now than its ever had in its long, tumultuous history
                  - Aeon Trinity “Technology Manual” propaganda intro by William Renton.

At least, the authors via this Avatar admit their complete solidarity with some of my points – and present totally implausible picture in the end. Now, let’s examine what did (but mostly – did not) “predict” correctly people who gave us the Trinity-verse 20 years ago speaking of general trends and fields in technology.

Energy.
                  The greatest complain which could be applied to the most of this hyper-tech inventions we are presented with is that we are simply “told, not shown” how they became a reality. So, e.g., we are simply told that “hyper-fusion was invented in the early 21st century and revolutionized all aspects of power production and consumption (c)”. A brain-child of Novas/Aberrants Mega-Intelligence, which, naturally, has no place in out own reality of the equally early XXI century. More-so – we are told that this one technology, out of many, did survive the Aberrant war and is used more or less the same way by the people of the early 22nd century. The same goes to equally incredulously wondrous “super-conducting battery”. We are not told how – again. It’s apparent, that the needs of the game mechanic (not to bog down both the players and the ST with concerns of how much charge there remains in this or that electronic device) triumphed over logic.

Was the prediction correct? No. The fusion energy power plants remain as unattainable for us as they were 20 years ago for the reasons I highlighted above. Afraid, even Mega-Intelligence won't suffice here.

Advanced in-home technology.
                  No, no smart-homes… yet. But we are working on it! The stumbling bloc, which separates us from anything Trinity-era possible, is the lack of the Agents-programs (about which I will talk at length in future installments). We still, mostly, had to “endure” such “unbearable” manual labour as to manually switching channels, clicking lights off and on, setting the timer on the washing machine or the microwave, etc. And, most of all, our house appliances, do not learn. Maybe, this is for the batter. Yes, we have now commercially available “robo-vacs”, but they are hardly widespread. Don’t know about you, but I still do all of my cleaning by myself.

Was the prediction correct? No. People’s homes are not much different than they were 20 years ago. In some parts of the word – no different at all (if they still have them by this moment). At the same time – there are appearing some new, experimental “smart” houses. Whether these experiments will bear fruit is anyone’s guess.

Global Networks and Communications.
                  As said in the headline – wires, wires everywhere! What’s ironic here – pre Aberrant War OpNet was also thoroughly wired as well. As if the people of late 90s were incapable of imaging our own, largely wire-less world of today. Sorry, but this one part aged worst f all. What, to go on-line you must physically plug-in your mini-comp into the local network’s data-jack? Uh-huh, won’t go! And why is that? Apparently, humans in the early XXII century can launch gigantic ships across the stars, but can not do that with ordinary satellites anymore. How else then can I to say to my players with a straight face that paying their cell-phone bills in the future might make them sell themselves for organs? Because that’s what it is. All Net in the future is Local – nothing is global anymore. And, suddenly, you understand the old adage, that all futurists of their own time just wait a certain time, to add “Retro-” to their title. That’s the case with the Trinity’s version of OpNet and take on communications.

Was the prediction correct? Not only was it wrong ,the whole premise of heavily wired OpNet was a false one.

Holographics.
                  Some extravaganza like Michael Jackson’s “digital resurrection” on-stage notwithstanding, we don’t have applied widespread holographics in our lives, or in the entertainment industry. Naturally, we nowadays are not even close to getting a holo “indistinguishable from reality” (c). Neither are we having an opportunity to immerse ourselves into “holo-sims” or the likes – and we don’t have the desire either.

Was the prediction correct? No, and the holographics as the technology remain really questionable market-wise.

Artificial gravity.
                  Aeon Trinity Sayeth: “The development of gravcrystals in 2071 made it feasible fro normal people to live and work in space”. The further explanation, that “gravity researchers developed a process by which energy can be converted into mass to create a kind of artificial gravity” really explains nothing. And the appeal that this became only possible due to “orbital manufacturing” (tm) smacks of handwavium For the thing to work it must rely on a powerful source of energy – like the fusion generator, already discussed earlier.

See? We are, once again, told, not shown how something became a Thing. Maybe, I’d be more eager to believe in this wonderful invention, a true revolutionary breakthrough in so many spheres of applied sciences, if I was told how. Because we are not talking about something trivial, and the authors themselves recognize the matter as such, otherwise they won’t be devoting so much necessary time to the LG-syndrome victims in the “Luna Ascendant” sourcebook. To get really viable and commercially acceptable model of artificial gravity is not an easy task. Is it a wonder then, that other “short-range” near-future focused sci-fi settings do go without it and instead force the players to deal with the consequences instead?

Was the prediction correct? No. Lots of theories nowadays, nothing approaching what is described in the Trinity-verse so far.

Intra-Solar spacecraft, ubiquitous habitable space stations, extraterrestrial colonies.
                  There are none (and the International Space Station is one of the kind with very uncertain future). Probably, we screwed up – so, forgive us, ancestors (and descendants)! Humanity’s desire to GTFO from the war-ravaged Earth is understandable – but we don’t have such an incentive. Lacking much lauded and basically setting staple “hyper-fusion” power stations there is no way to speed-fast spacecraft development, and, therefore, the potential space colonization process – even if the sudden need for that arises.

Was the prediction correct? No, space technologies virtually stayed the same as it were 20 years ago. Asteroid mining? Superior orbital manufacturing? Not in this life.

Terraforming of other planets.
                  Even Aeon Trinity is not unduly optimistic in this sphere – when they are speaking about ordinary means, not semi-magickal biotechnology, vastly augmented by psionics. The thing is – we don’t even have this “pessimistic” applied way of trying to make some of the Solar systems planets and planetary satellites more habitable. Usually, in other “near-future” sci-fi settings the processes are barely proceeding in such directions, with some tangible fruits promised to be apparent in the matter of several centuries. And this is, still, unduly optimistic prognoses in my opinion.

Was the prediction correct? No. Bio-science, especially of space-applied variety remains comparatively the proverbial “poor relative” in the family of other sciences of our time.

But don't despair yet! Some things were predicted more or less accurately, and I'll talk about them (and not only them) in my future installment!

Comment

Working...
                  X