Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Trinity mechanics generic enough? Any Beta Rulesets available?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Trinity mechanics generic enough? Any Beta Rulesets available?

After asking in the Scion forums if the new Storypath mechanics had potential for being a generic system for homebrew settings I was directed to Trinity Continuum. Are there any preview/beta rules available to toy with, or some Jumpstart adventure? Would Trinity Continuum cover all facets of scifi to high fantasy including star warsy "TheForce" and "Magic Systems"? And could Trinity also be used for classical Dungeon Delving a la D&D like roleplaying as well?
    Sorry if my questions seem trivial, I am completely new to Trinity Continuum.

Well, I'd say that Storypath definitely has the potential to be a generic system for homebrew, though Onyx Path hasn't dedicated themselves to any sort of SRD version, or core version stripped of the different games being built with it (even if that clearly exists from the collaboration of the Trinity and Scion teams).

There's been a few previews of the Storypath system on the home page here's main page blog entries. The Scion 2e Kickstarter also has one. Though we've seen glimpses of some refinements and such to some of the major elements beyond the dice mechanics in all that

Trinity isn't likely to be generic, however the nature of Trinity's setting is more open compared to Scion's very focused approach on modern mythology based characters. As well, with the genres and character types Trinity will certainly cover from the 1e games, there's a lot of room to play around with settings.

For some context to that, the original Trinity-verse had three games each roughly putting the focus on one of three kinds of characters (though nothing technically stops any of the three from popping up in one of the others), and with it a specific kind of genre; though all three were tied together in one setting. So Adventure! is the classic pulp genre game set in the near past that focuses on Daredevils who generally don't have overt powers but regularly perform feats and stunts at or beyond what seems like human's can do. Aberrant is the modern superhero game that focuses on Novas who are the basic comic book super powered types. Trinity is the future sci-fi game that focused on Psions.

It's pretty simple to ignore the in-universe explanations from the 1e of the games for why each era rolled out that way (a lot of it was fairly flimsy in the first place as they weren't originally planned as one shared universe but brought together as such after Trinity didn't do super well sales-wise and Aberrant was already in production with the hope that the broader universe would attract more people to each property). Even with 1e Adventure! it is pretty simple to move it from the 20th Century to some fantasy setting. There's no support for lots of demi-human style races like D&D, but the three different kinds of character types mixed with the ST base system point-buy character building could be tuned to more of a fantasy dungeon crawl kind of game. You couldn't get the more flexible D&D style magic users exactly, since wizards would be treated more as a fluff on Nova style super powers (aka "heat ray eyes" and "fireball from a wand" would be mostly the same power with different visuals).

With everything we've seen from the Trinity 2e previews, this is only going to get easier even if without official support (though it seems like there's plans to expand past the initial three eras even if they don't expand the number of character types).

Comment

I don't know if there are any plans to have a generic version of Storypath available at any point, but you might be able to hack something out of the Trinity ruleset if no other options present themselves. There should be enough flexibility with the mechanics to figure out something, since that's supposed to be a big part of what Storypath brings to the table. That said, I dunno how well Trinity would work for any sort of fantasy adventure, but there's been some talk of a Storypath version of Pugmire at one point in the future so clearly there's some potential there.

Christopher Shaffer, freelancer. If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality. -Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
        Well, I'd say that Storypath definitely has the potential to be a generic system for homebrew, though Onyx Path hasn't dedicated themselves to any sort of SRD version, or core version stripped of the different games being built with it (even if that clearly exists from the collaboration of the Trinity and Scion teams).

There's been a few previews of the Storypath system on the home page here's main page blog entries. The Scion 2e Kickstarter also has one. Though we've seen glimpses of some refinements and such to some of the major elements beyond the dice mechanics in all that

Trinity isn't likely to be generic, however the nature of Trinity's setting is more open compared to Scion's very focused approach on modern mythology based characters. As well, with the genres and character types Trinity will certainly cover from the 1e games, there's a lot of room to play around with settings.

For some context to that, the original Trinity-verse had three games each roughly putting the focus on one of three kinds of characters (though nothing technically stops any of the three from popping up in one of the others), and with it a specific kind of genre; though all three were tied together in one setting. So Adventure! is the classic pulp genre game set in the near past that focuses on Daredevils who generally don't have overt powers but regularly perform feats and stunts at or beyond what seems like human's can do. Aberrant is the modern superhero game that focuses on Novas who are the basic comic book super powered types. Trinity is the future sci-fi game that focused on Psions.

It's pretty simple to ignore the in-universe explanations from the 1e of the games for why each era rolled out that way (a lot of it was fairly flimsy in the first place as they weren't originally planned as one shared universe but brought together as such after Trinity didn't do super well sales-wise and Aberrant was already in production with the hope that the broader universe would attract more people to each property). Even with 1e Adventure! it is pretty simple to move it from the 20th Century to some fantasy setting. There's no support for lots of demi-human style races like D&D, but the three different kinds of character types mixed with the ST base system point-buy character building could be tuned to more of a fantasy dungeon crawl kind of game. You couldn't get the more flexible D&D style magic users exactly, since wizards would be treated more as a fluff on Nova style super powers (aka "heat ray eyes" and "fireball from a wand" would be mostly the same power with different visuals).

With everything we've seen from the Trinity 2e previews, this is only going to get easier even if without official support (though it seems like there's plans to expand past the initial three eras even if they don't expand the number of character types).
        Sorry, Heavy, I hate to contradict you, but the three games were always, from Day One, intended to be part of a continuous history and shared universe. How tightly each one meshed with the others was a matter of individual developers having their opinions, but that's why the Aeon Society photo existed in the first Aeon/Trinity timeline. We're following up on that in the Trinity Continuum and expanding the playable time-frames based on the original "big three".

Comment

RichT

It's cool. I wasn't there. I was just recalled what I heard a long time ago that Aberrant was not originally pitched as part of Trinity, but adapted to that purpose to build out the Trinity universe. If that's not true? Cool.

Comment

RichT, so the storypath mechanics of Trinity (and Scion in this regard), are solely tied to the original setting and are not supposed to be used as a generic system for homebrew settings?

Comment

Erm, Rich didn't say anything of the sort. I mean, he didn't say the opposite either, he just corrected me about the origins of the larger Trinity Universe's behind the scene's origins.

While OPP hasn't been on the "release the SRD" trend, they've always been encouraging of us taking the mechanics and doing homebrew with them. I can't remember or find anything stating yea or nay on it, but I wouldn't hold my breathe for a stripped down version of the core mechanics. I would though, be prepared to take the new 2e Storypath cores for Scion and Trinity, and mine them for how to build your own homebrew stuff with the system; because why not?

Comment

Ah, okay, good to know. He quoted your whole post so I was confused if he contradicted just parts or the whole. Well, I'll be anxious then of any news/previews then.

Comment

Originally posted by Belisarion View Post
                  After asking in the Scion forums if the new Storypath mechanics had potential for being a generic system for homebrew settings I was directed to Trinity Continuum. Are there any preview/beta rules available to toy with, or some Jumpstart adventure? Would Trinity Continuum cover all facets of scifi to high fantasy including star warsy "TheForce" and "Magic Systems"? And could Trinity also be used for classical Dungeon Delving a la D&D like roleplaying as well?
                  Sorry if my questions seem trivial, I am completely new to Trinity Continuum.
                  Yes. Purchase the core Trinity rule book and you will have all the mechanics at hand to homebrew your way through the best games you can imagine. Simple, elegant, easy to understand and far less crunchy than anything else you can imagine.

My group and I have been talking about adapting AD&D to the Storytelling System. We haven't pulled the trigger, probably because we're all so old school and we love Gygax, but my closest friend and I just spent a night a couple weeks ago destroying the combat and hitpoint system in AD&D, so, I think it's inevitable.

Comment

Working...
                  X