I know so little

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know so little

I know barely anything about this system and setting, although im slowly working my way through a pdf Trinity Rulebook that i got from drivethru a good long while back, its hard going and i'm not great at reading from a pdf quickly, from the little i do know im mostly interested in Aeon - the high sci-fi bit off the setting - what can people tell me

Aeon, set in the 22nd Century is a (mostly solar-system bound) space opera setting, with a cyberpunk earth where Psions defend the Earth from horrific returning threats known as Aberrants - monsters of godlike power who were once human. It's a very thematic nuanced setting in that the setting itself is somewhat dark BUT is distinctly optimistic about the ability to make a difference and improve the world. It's politics run to the "New Deal" improve the world by banding together variety.

The Psi Orders are the major political power players on Earth, and have the ability to create Psions of different natures. The Aesculapian Order is a medical NGO that creates Vitakinetics (they can heal and manipulate life force), and are particularly based in the war shattered remains of Europe. The Ministry of Noetic Affairs is a Chinese intelligence agency that creates telepaths. The Legions are the front line army against the Aberrants, are based out of Australia, and create Psychokinetics (telekinetics, pyrokinetics, cryokinetics). The Interplanetary School of Research and Advancement (ISRA) are a research academy based on the moon who create Clairvoyants. Orgotek is an American megacorporation that creates Electrokinetics (lots of interface with technology and cyber abilities). Norca a revolutionary South American cartel that creates biokinetics (shapeshifters basically).

Chitra Bhanu was an Indian based Psi Order that created Quantakinetics, but they were purged when it was discovered (or claimed, unclear) that they were harboring Aberrants for research. Their powers dealt with the same energy that fuels the Aberrants.

Upeo wa Macho was an African trade guild that created Teleporters who facilitated faster than light travel, but they all disappeared shortly before the starting "now" of the setting. (they're found again in deep space colonies later).

(if you want I can come back later and tell you about Aberrant and Adventure! as well if someone doesn't beat me to it)

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

That sounds like an awesome setting

Comment

Yes, and while the overall outlook does seem positive... there are also some disturbing secrets in the setting that could potentially tear that façade to shreds. I don't want to give away any major spoilers... but when one begins to scratch beneath the surface of what is apparently going on... one could potentially discover that there are other players in the game (the overall political setting that is) that may not have the best interests of humanity at heart. Not everything is exactly what it appears to be... and discovering the truth will determine the fate of humanity and its destiny in the universe. At least that is one possible path for adventures to take.

​In the end, it really is about humanity discovering its place in the universe and freeing itself from any outside influence that would curtail its destined role in it.

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
        I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Comment

do we have any sort of timeline on the the new edition, its sounds great but the 1st ed pdf isn't an easy read?

Comment

Originally posted by ahather View Post
            do we have any sort of timeline on the the new edition, its sounds great but the 1st ed pdf isn't an easy read?
            Kickstarter is supposedly happening this year. Presumably autumn. That'd put the book out sometime next year probably.

Comment

The next three Kickstarters are: Cavaliers of Mars, Changeling: The Lost 2nd Edition, and Trinity Continuum.

Ian A. A. Watson
              Onyx Path Community Manager
              Trinity Continuum Lead Developer

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
                The next three Kickstarters are: Cavaliers of Mars, Changeling: The Lost 2nd Edition, and Trinity Continuum.
                Is that in order? Priorities make that relevant for my budget.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

I believe so, yes.

Ian A. A. Watson
                  Onyx Path Community Manager
                  Trinity Continuum Lead Developer

Comment

So Aberrant is the first prequel setting to Aeon, set in what was then the near future of 2008 (the new edition pushes it forward to the 2030s I believe?), with superpowered humans called Novas having "erupted" (discovered their powers) at the end of the 20th Century. In many ways it was the thematic reverse of Aeon - bright on the surface (it's a superhero setting... or looks like one depending on who you ask) but fundamentally pessimistic. The Novas of course are the Aberrants of Aeon. Delving into the strongest way to harness their powers warps their bodies and mind. In 2008 though they are the centers of massive cults of celebrity and groups like Project Utopia are changing the world for the better. Except the game's politics also run in the opposite direction of Aeon as well - libertarian skepticism of utopianism and collectivism, and Project Utopia darker nature using Novas while trying to keep them under control is a perfect example of that. Other groups in the setting include "Elites", who are mercenaries, "Teragen" who are your Magneto/Brotherhood of Mutants antagonists to Project Utopia who insist Novas are an entirely new and higher species who should not be subject to baseline human rule and regulation, and "Aberrant" (they reappropriated a slur) who still insist on their own humanity unlike Teragen, but think something shady is going on with Project Utopia and don't want it controlling them. There's also the "Directive" which is an intelligence agency specifically representing baseline human major governments that worries about Utopia or rogue Novas upsetting the geopolitical balance. And you can just play an independent Nova superstar advancing your own career, or nova loyal to your national government, or whatever.

Obviously unless you change history, the whole setting eventually culminates in the Aberrant War between humanity and increasingly all-powerful and mutated Novas, which devastates society until the threat of total annihilation of everyone forces the Novas/Aberrants to leave for deep space and humanity starts to rebuild... until they come back completely unrecognizable as human and you get the Aeon setting.
                    Last edited by glamourweaver; 08-05-2017, 02:04 AM.

Comment

So in the background of both of those settings is the Aeon Society (they're more foreground coordinating international Psi Order cooperation in Aeon Trinity, but they're largely only present as a founding sponsoring organization of Project Utopia in Aberrant). In the Adventure! setting they take center stage in the 1920s as a gentlemen's society (though they do admit women) of do-good adventurers/explorers/scientists. It's a pulp setting that includes the ability to play "Daredevils" (normal humans gifted with incredible skill and luck... possibly with the ability to subconsciously manipulate probability in their own favor, the original creators disagreed on whether that was a literal ability in-setting, or a game abstraction to represent their luck), "Mesmerists" (psychic forebearers of the future Psions), and "Stalwarts" (people of superhuman strength/intelligence/whatever who are the forbearers of the Novas). The science experiment that resulted on these remarkable people's "inspiration" also caused strange locals to manifest across the world and beyond, so while it looks like the normal 1920s on the surface, immortal Tibetan monks in Shangrila may guard the passage to the Hollow Earth, and Tripods on Mars prepare for invasion, etc etc.

Major characters in the setting are big players throughout the shared setting's timeline. Michael Daemon Donighal (Doctor Primoris), a Stalwart co-founder of the Aeon Society who has radical theories about the potential for human evolution is Divis Mal, the leader of Teragen and possibly first and strongest Nova ever, in the Aberrant era. Maxwell Mercer, the original adventurer leader of the Aeon Society has certain time-manipulating gifts and has been known to be thrown into future eras and return, so much of his action with the Aeon Society can be seen as attempts to meet certain future threats.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                        Aeon, set in the 22nd Century is a (mostly solar-system bound) space opera setting, with a cyberpunk earth
                        Well, North America is supposed to be cyberpunk. Europe is more post-apocalyptic, Africa kind of Star Trek-ish, Australia military scifi, and so on. It's a fairly versatile setting, genre wise.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Working...
                        X