No announcement yet.

kickstarter in January

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks ahather, although I don't know why. What made these games great was their settings, so now they put in some other generic setting as well, and then give it a confusing name? I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdoc View Post
      Thanks ahather, although I don't know why. What made these games great was their settings, so now they put in some other generic setting as well, and then give it a confusing name? I don't get it.
      What do you find confusing? Aeon, Aberrant, and Adventure! were always the same setting, and now we're looking at more cool parts of that setting. Since we have the chance to look at pretty much any time, or even alternative times/dimensions, we're calling that overall setting the Trinity Continuum. Rather than just put out a core system rule book, we're also making that book a viable part of the Continuum by having the modern day setting in it. Hope that helps!

Comment

In my head, I keep renaming the modern day setting "ACTION" in keeping with the "A" pattern, and forgetting that isn't actually the case.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Thank you RichT for your reply, but I'm afraid that I am still failing to understand. Maybe it's because I am a long time Trinity/Aberrant player but new to these forums, and thus unfamiliar with certain things about Onyx Path's vision that are sometimes taken for granted; I don't know. So if you will indulge me a bit further, I'll try to explain my problem more precisely. My confusion is two-fold:
          1)
          Originally posted by RichT
          Since we have the chance to look at pretty much any time, or even alternative times/dimensions, we're calling that overall setting the Trinity Continuum.
          This has always been my understanding. "Trinity Continuum" == Trinty+Aberrant+Adventure; that entire universe and timeline. However, now I am being told that "Trinity Continuum" == specific time period related to "modern" real life for some kind of action/adventure setting. It's a sub-setting, like "Trinity" OR "Aberrant" OR "Adventure." So which is it? Or is the term being used for both somehow, which would be the explanation for my confusion?
          2)
          and now we're looking at more cool parts of that setting... by having the modern day setting in it.
          Ok, in the previous Trinity universe setting, the "modern day" bit was Aberrant. However from what I have been gleaning from the forums Aberrant is going to be moved to a later time. This, along with the idea of having a fourth time period that is not Adventure, Aberrant, or Trinity, would put it in between Adventure and Aberrant. Previously there was nothing really interesting happening in the between time periods, at least from the perspective of playing a game of super-humans with powers. So my question is why? I understand what you said about your reason to want to make a core book independent of the three main sub-settings/time periods, as well as to make that book playable by including its own. So I just want to know what is it that is interesting about this sub-setting, as in, why might I want to play it? (honest question tone, not a criticism one) For all I know now it is just like modern day with nothing special, except perhaps with the Aeon Society doing little things in the background.

Comment

I would love a section with the typical archetypes of the era or character examples to streamline the process of character creation.
            A supplement about gadgets and mad science is a must. I've never got the feeling that I could play one in the previous books.
            Another supplement about how to create the batcave. Well, okay not just the batcave, you know what I mean. A book about how to create cool hero headquarters and evil lairs.
            A book about the organizations and most importantly, how they interact with each other and the world at large. Give us a story and a system to make them feel alive.
            That's it for now, I will post more if I can think about something else.

Comment

Murdoc No offense taken. Let me see if I can cover most of your concerns/questions. Generally, the first go around of our three lines wasn't a master plan to only do those three, those are just the ones we did (and Adventure! I had to fight to publish). We are using The Trinity Continuum as the umbrella name for all of the setting, from ancient times, through the three you are familiar with, to the far future. Aberrant was a "a few years from the present" timeframe, and since we are now a fair bit past that present with this edition, we've pushed it forward again. The Trinity Continuum Core, the right now in the present book, is designed to allow Jason Bourne, John Wick the movies, Leverage and Ocean's Eleven, style play. Basically, characters that aren't super-heroes, but which are capable of heroic actions. The universe of the Trinity Continuum rewards those who try, who strive to change reality, if you will, and so our characters can be totally normal folks, or extremely good (and lucky) at what they do. As for whether there is anything interesting going on, that'll be our goal to draw you into each of these new eras.

Comment

RichT Thanks I think that does clear things up. Although I think that you probably should have a name for that era/sub-setting perhaps, it might help.

The Trinity Continuum Core, the right now in the present book, is designed to allow Jason Bourne, John Wick the movies, Leverage and Ocean's Eleven, style play.
                If you hadn't used the John Wick example (which I've never heard of), I'd think that you must know me or something, because I love those other 3 enough you've practically got me sold on the idea right now. I'd so love to play a game like that! (In fact in the Aberrant game I ran for years I put in an NPC named David Webb who worked for the Directive, using Jason Bourne's real name to throw the players off of who I was stealing him from. )

Comment

RichT are more science orientated characters playable in the Action setting?
                  Last edited by ahather; 11-12-2017, 07:28 AM. Reason: fixing errors

Comment

Originally posted by ahather View Post
                    RichT are more science orientated characters playable in the Action setting?
                    Word of 'uber-dev' Ian Watson is that the Continuum core will have a Super-Science section, including rules for Advanced Science (mundane tech about a decade ahead of its time), Inspired Science (tech which can only be created by one of the Inspired, but usable by anyone), and Powered Science (tech that can only be created and used by the Inspired, as it's powered by their Source, most likely Psi or Quantum).

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

There are also two rival Allegiances focused on superscience and technology in the modern setting, as well as room for scientific characters in other groups. (And there might be a different era called ACTION! later...)

Craig Oxbrow
                      The Trinity Continuum freelancer

Comment

I agree with the others. The Trinity Continuum Corebook Setting needs some kind of name of its own (other than 'Trinity Core setting', which is a mouthful, and also basically wrong).

Comment

Hm. They might be noodling this around already, but would people be up for licensed community content, a la Storyteller's Vault, as a stretch goal? (For those unfamiliar with it, this would mean you could put fan stuff for the Continuum up for sale on a royalty basis, as long as you adhered to Onyx Path's guidelines.)
                          Last edited by marin; 11-13-2017, 07:29 AM. Reason: Clarifying I'm suggesting this as a stretch goal

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Thinking more about this. This would only be an Aeon stretch, but maybe a small supplement that details the intra and extra solar colonies? There was some detail on this in first edition, but I was always surprised there wasn't more detailed info about Mars and the other intra-solar holdings.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Oxbrow View Post
                              There are also two rival Allegiances focused on superscience and technology in the modern setting, as well as room for scientific characters in other groups. (And there might be a different era called ACTION! later...)
                              I kinda like Action! to be the title of the contemporary setting. Totally sets the tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdoc View Post
                                1) This has always been my understanding. "Trinity Continuum" == Trinty+Aberrant+Adventure; that entire universe and timeline. However, now I am being told that "Trinity Continuum" == specific time period related to "modern" real life for some kind of action/adventure setting. It's a sub-setting, like "Trinity" OR "Aberrant" OR "Adventure." So which is it? Or is the term being used for both somehow, which would be the explanation for my confusion?
                                The Trinity Continuum encompasses the entire timeline (which includes Aeon, Aberrant and Adventure!). The Trinity Continuum core rulebook also contains a modern-day era, so people have a straightforward game about modern day heroism right out of the rulebook before they start looking into other time periods and Inspired types. The modern day is sort of a default setting and doesn't have its own name. I'd like to remind people of that: it's not called "Action," which is a name we may be using later for another era, and if we do I'd like to avoid confusion now rather than later.

Ok, in the previous Trinity universe setting, the "modern day" bit was Aberrant.
                                Aberrant was released in 1999, and was set in 2008, with supplements taking it up to 2015. So it was set 10-15 years in the future, rather than today (whenever "today" is).

However from what I have been gleaning from the forums Aberrant is going to be moved to a later time.
                                Since we're 20 years later from the original game, Aberrant's getting pushed forward 20 years to 2028. It's still "near future," by about the same amount as the original game was.

This, along with the idea of having a fourth time period that is not Adventure, Aberrant, or Trinity, would put it in between Adventure and Aberrant. Previously there was nothing really interesting happening in the between time periods, at least from the perspective of playing a game of super-humans with powers.
                                As the original tagline for Adventure! said, Every age has its heroes. There may not be any superhumans, but that doesn't mean there isn't anything interesting going on. That's why Talents -- what Adventure! called daredevils -- are available right from the core.

Besides which, even the original games had sprinkled suggestions of strange events in the past which weren't otherwise covered by a published era. For example, the timeline portion of the original Aeon said there was a surge of people with powers in 1970, and we never heard anything else about that.

So my question is why? I understand what you said about your reason to want to make a core book independent of the three main sub-settings/time periods, as well as to make that book playable by including its own. So I just want to know what is it that is interesting about this sub-setting, as in, why might I want to play it? (honest question tone, not a criticism one) For all I know now it is just like modern day with nothing special, except perhaps with the Aeon Society doing little things in the background.
                                I recommend you take a look at some of the Allegiance previews we've posted. Some of the material has since changed, but it should give you an idea of the setting (as well as some interesting connections between Adventure! and Aberrant if you're astute).

Ian A. A. Watson
                                Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

Working...
                                X