Entropy Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entropy Control

You can use entropy control to plant curses, but can you use entropy control to bless?

Yes. The whole point of the power is controlling probability, so you can curse as well as bless.

Comment

I am told that probability is not in entropy control. Probability and entropy are two different things.I am curious as to what the designers think.

Comment

The designers can feel free to correct me but on pg. 198 under the power heading of Entropy Control, one fo the techniques is Probability Corruption which specifically states that every success in power activation equals one die lost or one auto-success for the target. So there you have it.

Comment

Thank you for responding

This is their best response: "Entropy is negative probability. It is a decaying effect... when you say Entropy, probability doesn't need to be said because it's actually implied within the word." Their response means Entropy while related, is not probability control.

"
          Entropy Control is NOT Probability Control. Yes, it has ONE technique that can affect probability, but it does so by ADDING entropy to it, not by actually controlling the probability."
          Last edited by wtaylorjr2001; 11-16-2017, 06:33 PM.

Comment

They are misinformed. Also, trying to use real world physics in a game where people can manipulate the weak nuclear force with their mind is iffy.

In game, Probability Manipulation is part of entropy control. If you treat P.M. as only cursing (that is, lowering something's probability), that probability has to go somewhere. If you lower probability for every outcome except one, that one outcome is now very likely. The easiest way to look at it is that you can change probabilities, up or down. Also, Entropy Control is not the Entropy Sphere from Mage. Therefore, entropy control is not required to be decaying only. So you can use E.C. to remove entropy from a stick or move it from the stick to somewhere else. Voila, a sturdier stick.

In the real world, entropy is unrelated to probability, and definitely is not negative-only. On a macro scale, probability is "a non-random event is happening too fast for humans to observe", and on a micro scale probability is "something will happen, at some time, to some atom. And we can't predict with any more specificity". Entropy is basically just temperature, and does not have to be negative on earth because we have a big white-hot source of locally lowered entropy.

I suppose the TLDR is Entropy Control is not Mage's Entropy sphere, and is not real world physics. It follows the rules given in the book.

Comment

Originally posted by SpoonR View Post

In the real world, entropy is unrelated to probability, and definitely is not negative-only. On a macro scale, probability is "a non-random event is happening too fast for humans to observe", and on a micro scale probability is "something will happen, at some time, to some atom. And we can't predict with any more specificity". Entropy is basically just temperature, and does not have to be negative on earth because we have a big white-hot source of locally lowered entropy.
              that's wrong. Entropy is a function of probability, being the negative of information. While I'm not saying anything about the game's rules or anything like that, but entropy is defined as-

S = -K *P* ln(P)

Where P is the probability, and P*ln(P) being the expression for information. Saying that the two values are unrelated is incorrect. Also, entropy is not "basically temperature" as much as pressure is not basically volume. The two values are related, but are not the same.

Again, nothing about the game mechanics- but I had to point it out.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
              I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post

that's wrong. Entropy is a function of probability, being the negative of information.
                Actually, that's wrong. Probability is a function of entropy.

The Law of Entropy simply states that all matter in the universe seeks to exist at its lowest energy state. Thus, when an O2 molecule is excited by a spark of electricity and the two Oxygen molecules have enough extra energy to fly off and join up with two different O2 molecules to form two O3 (Ozone) molecules, within a few hours that extra energy is released (in the form of photons in the blue wavelength) and those low-energy O molecules end up bonding with other single O's to form O2 once more, because O2 is the lowest energy state Oxygen atoms can stably reach in nature.

The point in time at which they might release the extra energy is based on probability, but not the fact that they WILL release that energy. Hollywood has done the American public no favors by regurgitating the erroneous belief that entropy is about randomness and decay. It's not. Entropy is about stability and balance. But misery loves company, so there you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Arch Stanton View Post
                  The point in time at which they might release the extra energy is based on probability, but not the fact that they WILL release that energy. Hollywood has done the American public no favors by regurgitating the erroneous belief that entropy is about randomness and decay. It's not. Entropy is about stability and balance. But misery loves company, so there you go.
                  it is worth to mention that things decay out of energetic stability, and that when everything has the same probability to happen the expression for entropy is maximized. When everything decays into the same basic components, everything "looks the same", which is how we perceive the rise in entropy. It is simply that life is not energetically stable (hence, it doesn't exist in equilibrium), and so things die and decompose. It may be a bit pessimistic, but death is stability, while life isn't.

And entropy is only one component of the equation. It is Free Energy which decides whether something will or will not happen, and by controlling temperature you could work processes which negate the influence of entropy on the system. Entropy is, in fact, simply information- or how well you can describe the system. It is simply that information is a physical quantity, just like space, time and matter.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
                  I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                  X