Trinity Developers on 16Miles2Hell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinity Developers on 16Miles2Hell

This week, Phlip and I had the extreme joy of hosting Ian Watson, Danielle Lauzon, and Eddy Webb on the podcast to talk about Trinity, the upcoming Kickstarter, and sci-fi gaming in general. Though we'd love for you to listen to the whole podcast, the interview starts at 25:15 for people that just want to jump right in!

"We're not done talking sci-fi yet, mofos! After last week's explosive chat about all things Star Wars, Rick and Philip are back to bring the deets on the best Science Fiction Table Top game ever - AEON! As the Trinity Contiumm and Trinity Contriuum: Aeon Kickstarter go live next week, we have invited the Trinity Head Pooh-bah Ian Watson, the Storypath Guru Daniella Lauzon, and That Guy Over There Eddy Webb to the Action Mega Bunker to talk all things Trinity. Excitement! Danger! Romance? WillOnyx Path Publishingsave the world for ALL MANKIND? All of these things and more this week on 16Miles2Hell!"

http://16miles2hell.com/16miles2hell-24

Rick A. Carroll - Onyx Path Freelancer
    Worked On: Night Horrors: Enemy Action, Night Horrors: The Tormented
    Working On: Sekrit Projekt

Huh. Trinity Battleground gets a bit of love in this. Awesome

Ad Astra

Comment

I will always give Battleground love.

Rick A. Carroll - Onyx Path Freelancer
      Worked On: Night Horrors: Enemy Action, Night Horrors: The Tormented
      Working On: Sekrit Projekt

Comment

I bought Battleground to complete my collection but have never played it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_485_1538393298974_786[/ATTACH]

Comment

Can someone post a summary of the interview? I have some difficulty with the nuances of spoken English.

Comment

I'm still listening, but some points so far:

- Core book is modern day, action-adventure kinda like the the Bourne Identity, etc.
            - Aeon book will be the old Trinity setting
            - Both these books will be in the kickstarter
            - There was a joke? about including Trinity Battlegrounds in the Kickstarter. Someone at OP is a big fan of Battlegrounds, so if they can make it work, they would like to put out a minis game
            - The Trinity background has some minor changes - The Legions aren't independent military contractors any more. Too many bad associations with Blackwater, etc. They're now a military arm of the UN.
            - The Orders and Proxies haven't changed.
            - The game should be recognizable as Trinity
            - Some minor changes to how the Esperanza happened.
            - The game has a concept of multiple timelines. If you want to play the old timeline, with the new rules, that's completely legit and supported.

That's where I got to for now. I'll post more when I listen to more.

Comment

Thank you very much

Comment

Originally posted by Spaaace View Post
                I'm still listening, but some points so far:
                - The Trinity background has some minor changes - The Legions aren't independent military contractors any more. Too many bad associations with Blackwater, etc. They're now a military arm of the UN.
                Interesting. I hadn't heard that. I kinda thought PMCs would make the game the have a little more of a this-is-sic-fi-but-we're-really-talking-about-right-now kind of vibe. Could be pretty neato if they're mostly co-opted by the UN in that case too - private (para)military with UN oversight but oodles of gray area in terms of responsibility and oversight. I guess the UN having their own command and control armed forces does give a nice new world order feel though.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure, but I read somewhere that one of the developers said that some of the changes done to the aeon setting were done in order to create a more idealistic future, especially when it comes to the legions. I think it was done so players could feel more like heroes instead of ruthless mercenaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Queen Anne Country View Post

Interesting. I hadn't heard that. I kinda thought PMCs would make the game the have a little more of a this-is-sic-fi-but-we're-really-talking-about-right-now kind of vibe. Could be pretty neato if they're mostly co-opted by the UN in that case too - private (para)military with UN oversight but oodles of gray area in terms of responsibility and oversight. I guess the UN having their own command and control armed forces does give a nice new world order feel though.
                    I don't think Larssen will be putting up with crap from anyone, including the UN. I guess we'll see what she had to give up to get the veneer of respectability. I wonder what's going to happen to the Second Legion?

Comment

Originally posted by Spaaace View Post
                      - There was a joke? about including Trinity Battlegrounds in the Kickstarter. Someone at OP is a big fan of Battlegrounds, so if they can make it work, they would like to put out a minis game
                      From my listening, I think this is a bit of an over stretch. Mike Chaney loves Battleground and (jokingly?) frequently pitches for its return, but I didn’t get the sense OPP is seriously thinking along that line at all.

If others interpreted that differently, that’s interesting.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it.
                      WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams | CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon, Mummy: The Curse 2nd ed | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

Originally posted by Firanai View Post
                        I'm not 100% sure, but I read somewhere that one of the developers said that some of the changes done to the aeon setting were done in order to create a more idealistic future, especially when it comes to the legions. I think it was done so players could feel more like heroes instead of ruthless mercenaries.
                        The Trinity Continuum (including the AEon setting) is a hopeful, heroic place. Characters are striving for the future of humanity. Everything there is still recognisable from 1st ed, and everything you love is still there*, but 2nd ed has been written without the ‘everyone secretly wants to screw everyone else over has torturous, murderous agendas’ that (old) White Wolf seemed to (inadvertent) put into every setting back then.

I was a huge fan of 1st ed, and I love what’s gone into 2nd ed. I think/hope you will too.

*Unless you love everyone murdering and screwing everyone else over
                        Last edited by Bunyip; 01-29-2018, 09:10 PM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect

WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams | CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon, Mummy: The Curse 2nd ed | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

- The Upeo Wa Macho will be playable right from the start
                          - There will be a full Quantakinesis writeup in the Aeon book for any stories you might need it for
                          - The PC's will have a "skill" for each Aptitude in their Mode and a Psi score and a Psi pool to use to power abilities
                          - Ian has a document with 3 dozen ideas for expansion books. It's up to Rich to determine what, if any get made. It's possible to do a one-off for a book for a setting without having to support that book as a whole line. Examples - 1960's cop procedurals, or the XWF
                          - The game is written and shouldn't have the same delays as Scion had
                          - There are 3 developers for Trinity Continuum and Aeon (Ian, Danielle and John Snead)

The End
                          Last edited by Spaaace; 01-29-2018, 08:49 PM. Reason: Noting that this is the end of the podcast

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

From my listening, I think this is a bit of an over stretch. Mike Chaney loves Battleground and (jokingly?) frequently pitches for its return, but I didn’t get the sense OPP is seriously thinking along that line at all.

If others interpreted that differently, that’s interesting.
                            The line from the podcast that stood out for me is from Ian: "There is support for it among the Onyx Path crew, so if we find a reasonable way to make it happen, it's probably going to happen."

I think that's a pretty huge 'if', given that OP is a paper publishing company, not a minis company. Corvus Belli branched Infinity out from an in-house RPG to a mini wargame, so it's possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Personally, I would love to be able to pick up a PDF of the Battlegrounds rulebook as a stretch goal or add on.

Comment

Cool. I’ll remain optimistic, and look for more things I can write for TC.

(Everyone go back the Kickstarter when it opens. There are some stretch goals I want to be allowed to write!)

Comment

Working...
                              X