This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickstarter Preview Discussion: Core 01-04

The first backer-only Update contains a link to the first section of the Trinity Continuum core rulebook, including the Introduction, some artifacts of the setting, and character creation. Feel free to discuss below.

Ian A. A. Watson
    Onyx Path Community Manager

Cool so far! I never read the original Trinity books, but I think the concept of Talents and flux manipulation and stuff is a very funny and great way to make those kinds of larger than life characters possible.

I like the skill list!

I’m a little unsure about Edges, which seem to be the Merits of the game? Overall I think they have fun text, but there’s a few there which feel like they don’t have enough meat to them and they just feel like enhancement grabs.

I noticed that there’s a two dot Edge that gives people stacking +1 Soft Armor, which if I remember right is worth like 3 dice on a dice pool? Maybe the dice pools slew higher than Scion, but I am a little worried that something like that feels like a must-have for any character. I think maybe attaching a prerequisite like Stamina 3 or something like some other Edges have could help.

Just musing outloud, could be a little houserile for anyone else concerned about that!

Comment

Do we anticipate bringing in characters, powers, or other elements from other Onyx Path games?

Comment

For now, I'm just going to watch this thread.

For the most part I am very unfamiliar with Trinity. I've got the basics of the setting through the TV Tropes pages and the "I know so little" topic on this forum. So I think I get the basics.

So while I watch this thread, can someone sell me on Trinity? What do you like about it? I may or may not pledge so I kinda want a feel.

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post
          Do we anticipate bringing in characters, powers, or other elements from other Onyx Path games?
          The Trinity Continuum settings are already looking pretty huge and open ended. They're more likely to do their own take on "ancient gods & heroes" via Novas in the Aegis setting than have some sort of Scion crossover.

And obviously the stuff Onyx Path doesn't own itself aren't going to crossover, so that's all the World of Darkness, Chronicles of Darkness, and Exalted stuff off the table - as all that is licensed from White Wolf. And Pugmire and Cavaliers are creator owned.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Lookimg forward to more info on stunts. Seems very heavy if u have to look at a table everytime u succed on a roll.

Comment

Will Adventure and Abberant be their own kickstarters?

Comment

I cnr help but think its like a lighter world of darkness. Which honestly makes sense but it still brings a smile to my face.

I like the first chapter. Nice set up on what the theme is.

I did notice though that Quantum isn't mentioned in glossary.

The setting chapter is interesting. It very much gives me a aberrant vibe, which had me grinning.

Comment

This is kind of a strange question, but I noticed it both here in the scion preview and I'm curious. Why exactly is action-adventure/combat it's own chapter separate from the general system chapter? So far as I'm aware just about every white wolf/onyx path publication has always had all the rules in one chapter, I get that combat generally has more word count devoted to it, but it still seems like you could collapse them into one chapter. Is there a particular reason for the divide?

Comment

I'm impressed with what we've got so far. There's a few bits I disagree with, but none of it's a big deal. Compared to Scion, the whole thing feels a bit more complete too - Scion is littered with bits of Trinity Continuum (Skill names, etc.), which makes me think that while the writing is finished, they're still at the point of compiling their document together. If the rest of the Trinity books are at this stage, I'd consider it ready to go for a game, whereas I've still got a lot of questions about Scion.

Either way, in the next month or two, it looks like I'm going to be running something Storypath.

Originally posted by Lionmanguy View Post
                    This is kind of a strange question, but I noticed it both here in the scion preview and I'm curious. Why exactly is action-adventure/combat it's own chapter separate from the general system chapter? So far as I'm aware just about every white wolf/onyx path publication has always had all the rules in one chapter, I get that combat generally has more word count devoted to it, but it still seems like you could collapse them into one chapter. Is there a particular reason for the divide?
                    My guess is that it's a deliberate tone choice - World of Darkness is a horror game that often has combat. Storypath is designed for action-adventure, and physical conflict is front and centre.

Essentially, it's leaning into the argument that the rules a game emphasises should reflect it's intended playstyle.

EDIT: Questions though: How many Short-term Aspirations does the group need to achieve for the group xp? It feels like it was written assuming they only had 1 short term, but since they have two you get ambiguity:

All players achieve their short-term aspirations in the same Session
                    There's a plural there. Does that mean all players need to achieve both of their short-term aspirations?

My reading is that it triggers when "All players achieve at least one of their short-term aspirations in the same Session", but I'd like to be sure.
                    Last edited by Tarion; 02-01-2018, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarion View Post
                      EDIT: Questions though: How many Short-term Aspirations does the group need to achieve for the group xp? It feels like it was written assuming they only had 1 short term, but since they have two you get ambiguity:

There's a plural there. Does that mean all players need to achieve both of their short-term aspirations?

My reading is that it triggers when "All players achieve at least one of their short-term aspirations in the same Session", but I'd like to be sure.
                      That's correct, and I'll likely go through and see if that needs a clarification. The assumption is that everyone is likely to get one of their short term aspirations completed each session, though maybe not quite both of them. It's there to reward people for helping their group achieve their goals.

Danielle Lauzon, Requiem Developer, Storypath Guru, freelance writer

Comment

The second backer-only Update (Update #5) contains a link to the second section of the Trinity Continuum core rulebook, including the Chapter 3: Storypath System, and part of Chapter Four: Combat and Equipment. Feel free to discuss below.

Ian A. A. Watson
                        Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

I'll repost some of my thoughts from the KS comments.

Regarding Initiative:
                          This system seems to use a sort of hybrid between traditional Storyteller initiative and popcorn initiative as used in Cortex Heroic.
                          So, everyone rolls for initiative in a pretty normal manner, ranking the most successes rolled as the best initiative score. Where it differs from previous OPP/WW initiative systems is that player characters and SG characters don't go based on their initiative score. When a player slot comes up, the players determine which of them will go in that slot. Unlike popcorn initiative systems, a person who has gone, does not determine who goes next.

Example: Everyone rolls the lower of Athletics + Cunning or Empathy + Dexterity, and the rolls shake out like this.
                          Tick ratings
                          Player Character 1: 6 successes
                          Storyguide Character 1: 5 successes
                          SC 2: 4 successes
                          PC 2: 2 successes

That gets turned into slots
                          PC slot
                          SC slot
                          SC slot
                          PC slot

When a PC slot comes up, the group decides as a matter of group strategy who among them should act. When a SC slot comes up, the Storyguide determine which Storyguide character should act.
                          It's a bit like FFG's Star Wars initiative system.

Regarding actions:

I've been thinking about the mixed actions, and I really think it's clever how it's not "multiple actions" like Storyteller, nor does it absolutely prevent simultaneous actions as in Storytelling.
                          It'll be interesting to see what rules and powers hook into Mixed Actions.
                          I also noticed that reflexive actions seem to be different in Storypath vs Storytelling. In Storytelling, I think you can do a reflexive action at any time. In Storypath, reflexive actions can only be taken when the player has the Focus.

Going to have to finish reading combat next. Haven't yet grokked enhancement or stunts.

Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
                          Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

The rules feel really clean, polished and well-presented here! I love it. Amazing job, corebook team!

Comment

Are normal none super science items considered to be Rank 1 for purposes of making them with the crafting system?

Comment

Working...
                              X