Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the Preview give the (more or less) final version of character creation? I ask because of the major differences between how Paths work in Scion vs. how they’re described in the Preview. Scion, for example, ranks each of the three paths according to importance and gives points to Path Skills in accordance to the ranking. In contrast, the approach in Continuum is...kind of hard to follow, so at the very least it needs a polish.

Of course I realize that there’ll be differences between the two games, but I was surprised that they differed so much in such core essentials. —Jim

Comment

I think you're overcomplicating TC by comparing it to Scion. TC is, if anything, much simpler. You don't worry about ranking your Paths, you just put 3 skill dots in any of the related Skills (In any combination you'd like. Could be 3 into one skill, 1 into 3 different skills etc. Doesn't matter, so long as it's 3 total)

It's lighter on the skill points than Scion, but that's (Presumably) because there's more stuff to come with the Template, later in the book.

Comment

I'd be interested in understanding the rational behind disallowing skill tricks on starting characters. Reaching a 3rd dot in a skill is the only way listed for one to get a skill trick in a skill, but if you start with 3 dots in a skill can the character never receive the trick for that dot?

Comment

I more or less got that,but still: you pick four skills with each Path, except they can’t all get dots, and maybe only one of them gets dots, except you can add dots later if you feel like, except that you could add your later dots to brand new skills that aren’t associated with Paths. So you might well have dotless skills that are kind of yours even though they aren’t developed, and they sort of kind of get boosted if you add dots to the Path they’re associated with, rather than to the skills themselves. But this means you have to remember which skills are associated with which Paths.. Some dotless skills will *really* be dotless, and some won’t quite be because they get a boost from being associated with a high-power Path.

Or maybe I’m wrong. As I say, I think the write-up needs work to spell things out more clearly. —Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Tarion View Post
            I think you're overcomplicating TC by comparing it to Scion. TC is, if anything, much simpler. You don't worry about ranking your Paths, you just put 3 skill dots in any of the related Skills (In any combination you'd like. Could be 3 into one skill, 1 into 3 different skills etc. Doesn't matter, so long as it's 3 total)

It's lighter on the skill points than Scion, but that's (Presumably) because there's more stuff to come with the Template, later in the book.
            Ironically, Trinity Paths have ratings that maybe improved, while Scion paths may not.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

The third backer-only Update (Update #8) contains a link to the third section of the Trinity Continuum core rulebook, including the rest of Chapter Four: Combat and Equipment, and Chapter Five: The Storyguide. Feel free to discuss below.

Ian A. A. Watson
              Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

I love the vehicle/spaceship rules!

Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
                Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

Like the personnal weapon Idea. Although have not all of the rules

Comment

So far I like what I am seeing,but I'll need to play with it a bit to get a feel for how it will work in an actual game. Organizationally, I think it might be helpful to have the section on regular weapons and vehicles before the section on upgrades and inventions. And, on that note a few questions:

1. To what extent will Aeon have pre-stated items. I can see that the system contemplates individualized items for all characters, but there were some cool "standard" items in 1e.

2. I find the Quality tag a bit confusing. The 2 point version adds 1 extra tags slot, and the 3 point version adds 2 extra slots, but for that to mean anything the intial 2 or 3 slot expendature for the Quality tag must not count. So, am I correct to assume that a character with two wealth could buy an item with the 2 point Quality tag, and then apply 3 points of tags to the item?

3. Concerning how the invention system interacts with the regular equipment. Should we be designing a regular item, and then adding the enhancements and flaws from the invention system to produce the final form of a piece of equipment?

Comment

The fourth backer-only Update (Update #11) contains a link to the fourth and final section of the Trinity Continuum core rulebook, including Chapter Six: Talents, and Chapter Seven: Gifts. Feel free to discuss below.

Ian A. A. Watson
                      Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

So just to be clear on terminology, a Talent is a subset of Inspired, replacing the old term Daredevil, and Stalwarts and Mesmerists are still going to be around when Adventure! comes out right?

Comment

It's either that, or “mesmerist” is just another name for “psiad” and “stalwart” is just another name for “stealth nova”.

Comment

I'm somewhat lost as to when something should be a Skill Trick, when it should be an Edge, and when it should be a Gift. For instance, the Hidden Arsenal Skill Trick lets you activate it in order to have a backup weapon even after you've seemingly been disarmed. Why is this not a Gift? It certainly sounds like the sort of thing one could do with Dramatic Editing, and I've always pictured Gifts as specialized applications of Dramatic Editing. Conversely, An Extension of Myself (the first sample Gift under Aim) strikes me as something that would work better as an Edge.

Comment

Is Source (like mentioned in Behold the Halo) the power type/fuel used by people (so Inspiration, Psi, or Quantum)?

Comment

Originally posted by Lionmanguy View Post
                                So just to be clear on terminology, a Talent is a subset of Inspired, replacing the old term Daredevil, and Stalwarts and Mesmerists are still going to be around when Adventure! comes out right?
                                I don’t know about the terminology that will be used but it was confirmed a while ago that the Trinity Core would introduce rules for Paramorphs, Aeon the rules for Psychomorphs, Aberrant the rules for Eximorphs, and Adventure! would have rules for lower powered versions of all three.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
                                X