Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trinity to Ascension conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trinity to Ascension conversion

    Now that we have the main guts of the new Storypath system, I decided to work through figuring out how to use it by converting Mage: the Ascension's Magick rules to use the Trinity variant of the engine. I'm posting it here instead of in the Ascension forum, so that y'all can tell me if I'm misunderstanding Storypath's rules.

    Here's what I've got so far:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing


    Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
    Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
    Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

  • #2
    Originally posted by Octavo View Post
    Now that we have the main guts of the new Storypath system, I decided to work through figuring out how to use it by converting Mage: the Ascension's Magick rules to use the Trinity variant of the engine. I'm posting it here instead of in the Ascension forum, so that y'all can tell me if I'm misunderstanding Storypath's rules.

    Here's what I've got so far:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

    I approve of this effort after hearing nothing but good news about this system.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Onkwe View Post
      I approve of this effort after hearing nothing but good news about this system.
      Thanks! I've figured out how to make the base Magick system work in Storypath, and I've figured out how to make combat magick work. I've got some fun ideas for Paths, but I'm a bit stuck on translating rituals and magic item creation into the Super-Science system. I'll tackle it tomorrow after I've seen the new Talent, Gift, and Society rules.


      Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
      Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
      Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm looking forward to seeing the new TC preview drop, as that's the one that's going to have Dramatic Editing in it. Relevance: Coincidental Magick and Dramatic Editing have a lot of conceptual overlap; and a case might be made for using something like the latter to implement the former.


        Comment


        • #5
          I'm not sure I can use the Talent template for Mage, but I am interested to see that the powers they get are keyed off of the Path skills and others are keyed from the origin of their powers. That's interesting.


          Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
          Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
          Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

          Comment


          • #6
            Frankly I want solid conversion rules in game back and forth for Trinity and Mage. Sci Fi, Pulp, and Supers, all either have Mages ( often with the serial numbers filed off) or are totally Magey to begin with.

            It makes sense to encourage crossovers between the two as that will enhance both playability and the bottom line.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
              Frankly I want solid conversion rules in game back and forth for Trinity and Mage.
              I doubt that will happen.


              Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it.
              WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams | CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon, Mummy: The Curse 2nd ed | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
                Frankly I want solid conversion rules in game back and forth for Trinity and Mage. Sci Fi, Pulp, and Supers, all either have Mages ( often with the serial numbers filed off) or are totally Magey to begin with.
                Probably would have to be fan written, since Storypath is OPP's in-house proprietary engine, and both MtAs are owned by White Wolf/Paradox and only licensed to Onyx Path - so anything official crossing over between OPP and WW properties is super unlikely, as that creates all sorts of legal issues over ownership of said product and rules down the road.


                Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                Comment


                • #9
                  …and that's where this thread comes in.


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                    …and that's where this thread comes in.

                    I read Astromancer's comment as talking about wanting an official publication, with their reference to enhancing the "bottom line". If I misread, I apologize. By all means, I'd love to see what people with better instinct for mechanics than me come up with in terms of adapting Storypath rules for Mage (or for that matter Exalted - though we should probably wait till we see how Storypath handles Novas and Demigods before making that adaptation attempt).


                    Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Octavo View Post

                      Thanks! I've figured out how to make the base Magick system work in Storypath, and I've figured out how to make combat magick work. I've got some fun ideas for Paths, but I'm a bit stuck on translating rituals and magic item creation into the Super-Science system. I'll tackle it tomorrow after I've seen the new Talent, Gift, and Society rules.

                      Do you think you could come up with some system hacks for the other games? I'd be willing to help in the limited fashion I can. I'd need to buy Scion or Trinity too.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Frankly, I'm more inclined to wait for Scion: Hero to drop in order to find out how closely its system of Purviews (especially the new Marvels mechanics) come to letting me play a Mage as written. Basically, Scion draws from many of the same sources that Mage does: magic and religion tend to be very close cousins. So it ought to be much easier to tweak Scion to include Mages than to use Trinity Continuum as the starting point.


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                          Frankly, I'm more inclined to wait for Scion: Hero to drop in order to find out how closely its system of Purviews (especially the new Marvels mechanics) come to letting me play a Mage as written. Basically, Scion draws from many of the same sources that Mage does: magic and religion tend to be very close cousins. So it ought to be much easier to tweak Scion to include Mages than to use Trinity Continuum as the starting point.

                          True enough, but it's also true that Dramatic Editing overlaps a lot with Coincidental Magick, and there should be some interesting synergies there. I'm watching this thread with interest, regardless.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Note that Scion has Twists of Fate, which are a variation on Dramatic Editing; and Hero will delve into Twists of Fate more deeply.


                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Any chance for a Mage: the Awakening conversion as well?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X