A Time War setting: Trimity Agon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Time War setting: Trimity Agon

An agon is a struggle or contest, thus a good name for a war where you might never encounter the foe and they might even end up never existing in the first place.

A Time War setting would have two main game benifits and many artistic ones. The first game benefit would be bringing all the templates and settings together without blurring everything into mush. Because the crossovers would happen outside of the regular settings, those settings would stay pristine. The second benefit would be allowing alternative settings that simply don't fit the metaplot. Example: A plup SciFi future with Daredevils, Stalwarts, and Mesmerists, running around Mars or maybe the galaxy! A post-apocalyptic setting or steampunk don't fit the Trinity metaplot either, but as alternate worlds they would.

I'd suggest different forms of time travel having different limitations. Mercer seems to be free of constraints other than being unable to go backwards in time. Others might face paradox like limits against changing well known events. You can't save Lincoln, but you could save an obscure individual. The change might be subtle but noticeable. Others might find the past is set in stone for them. They could learn secrets or hide there but they could never change it. Others would change everything each time they travel in time. Drifting lost amoung parallel worlds.

Still, playing around with the limits of the setting and the genres it is composed of would be the main attraction. Like Doctor Who, you could swirl genres around your little finger and have a grand time.
    Last edited by Astromancer; 02-23-2018, 06:50 AM.

Sorry for the misspelling. There seems to be no way to correct my mistake.

Comment

Feel free to comment or add ideas of your own.

Comment

I'm going to take this here. I think the Time war game should be the "home" line for Tier 3 Paramorphs.

Comment

You deserve a comment, even though my game (now) is over in the CofD area. My table is running a long-term effort that is very similar to this, and the way it's structured is: time travel (parallel world), followed by an interlude (alternate time/world), then more of the main timestream, repeat. The interludes serve to display linkages between NPCs and PC that otherwise would not come out in regular play, and permit genres and styles that are not compatible with the "main" stream (dark medieval fantasy).

In the main stream the PCs encounter history and behind the scenes are responsible for many instances of it being "as they expect it"--since they are, themselves, time travelers from what we'd call the present. During interludes the PCs both learn revelations and often make things worse through their own actions, explaining how the main stream got the way it is. Methods used include McGuffin-book (Book of Thoth), dream-rituals that may or may not involve actual time-travel, projected consciousness, and the like.

Confused?

Example actual play:

2002 -> 1060 (prelude)
          1060-1073 (main stream1)
          1073 -> 2016 (interlude1) [in which a PC is responsible for enabling the destruction of the world by Yog-Sothoth]
          2016 -> 460/466 (time bubble/loop, prelude2)
          466-467 (main stream2)
          1073-2 (interlude2, techno-gothic mecha-vampire Arthurian theater) [in which a PC engenders the birth of a major antagonist in main stream1/interlude1, who is inserted backwards into the flow of main stream2]
          1073-2 -> 467
          467-474 (main stream2)
          474 -> ~7000 BC-ish (interlude3, including Carcosa) [in which a PC facilitates entry within the timestream of the major antagonist, encounters pre-Tuatha-de-Dannan peoples and major plot NPCs]
          7000BC -> 474
          474- (main stream2)

And etc. there are several less-detailed interludes that I haven't bothered to plot out yet fully. Bolded items were completed in play.

General thread is "stamping down the end of the world" and "causing yourself a lot of pain."

Depending on your perspective, the PCs might in fact sit on both sides of the Time Agon.

Obviously this doesn't much connect with Trinity, except that I'm still eyeing my Aberrant book on the shelf and waiting for the opportunity to go full super-heroes on 'em!

--Khanwulf

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
            I'm going to take this here. I think the Time war game should be the "home" line for Tier 3 Paramorphs.
            The idea of Tier 3 paramorphs/Talents being a primary "splat" for a theoretical Time War supplement actually makes a lot of sense. After all, even though nobody in the currently described eras realizes it, Talents are all about subconsciously pulling from alternate dimensions and timelines. As such, it makes sense that a sufficiently advanced one might realize that instead of pulling things through to them, they can instead push themselves into parallel timelines and dimensions, eventually being able to do full-on time travel and (presumably) dimension-hopping. This would then jive with Max Mercer still being a paramorph/Talent, he's just an exceptionally powerful one.

Comment

I'll go one step further: Teleporters are to Paramorphs as Quantakinetics are to Novas. That is, a fully-realized Paramorph isn't limited to just timelines and dimensions; she should also be able to warp space.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                I'll go one step further: Teleporters are to Paramorphs as Quantakinetics are to Novas. That is, a fully-realized Paramorph isn't limited to just timelines and dimensions; she should also be able to warp space.
                Everyone seems to have a space buy in, though I have no problem with this idea(though would that mean there's a Quantum psi manipulation power?)

Comment

You haven't heard of the setting's Quantakinetics? The Chitra something-or-other Psi Order, who supposedly got wiped out due to being corrupted by the Aberrants?

Comment

I may be misinterpeting, but I took Lian's comment to be asking about a Quantum power that manipulates Psi, as opposed to Quantakinesis which is a Psi power that manipulates Quantum.

Comment

Either way quantakinetics on the run could be pawns in the Time Wars.

Comment

Teleporters are to Paramorphs as Quantakinetics are to Novas.
                        I’m having trouble understanding what you mean. Does ffanxii4ever have it right?

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it. WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

I’m having trouble understanding what you mean. Does ffanxii4ever have it right?
                          I think he may be making a suggestion or a wild guess.

Comment

Well all of this has got me thinking of a Tier 3 Talent / Amber-like game (if you haven't read the Amber series by Zelazny you should). Moving through variations of a reality as easily as walking. Dramatic editing allowing for handy things like your sister remembering to stash a grenade in her purse : )

Comment

You haven't heard of the setting's Quantakinetics? The Chitra something-or-other Psi Order, who supposedly got wiped out due to being corrupted by the Aberrants?

I meant perhaps there's a Quantum power for manipulating psi a mirror to the QK.. on the other hand perhaps its a one way direction. Quantum is more Brute Force than Psi, which is more Brute force than Talent.

Comment

Working...
                              X