A Time War setting: Trimity Agon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yrtalien View Post
    Well all of this has got me thinking of a Tier 3 Talent / Amber-like game (if you haven't read the Amber series by Zelazny you should). Moving through variations of a reality as easily as walking. Dramatic editing allowing for handy things like your sister remembering to stash a grenade in her purse : )
    It's a logical outgrowth of a timewar book. Amber-like godlike supers fighting their own godwar would be a scary-fun faction. They could later get their own sourcebook.

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
      You deserve a comment, even though my game (now) is over in the CofD area. My table is running a long-term effort that is very similar to this, and the way it's structured is: time travel (parallel world), followed by an interlude (alternate time/world), then more of the main timestream, repeat. The interludes serve to display linkages between NPCs and PC that otherwise would not come out in regular play, and permit genres and styles that are not compatible with the "main" stream (dark medieval fantasy).

In the main stream the PCs encounter history and behind the scenes are responsible for many instances of it being "as they expect it"--since they are, themselves, time travelers from what we'd call the present. During interludes the PCs both learn revelations and often make things worse through their own actions, explaining how the main stream got the way it is. Methods used include McGuffin-book (Book of Thoth), dream-rituals that may or may not involve actual time-travel, projected consciousness, and the like.

Confused?

Example actual play:

2002 -> 1060 (prelude)
      1060-1073 (main stream1)
      1073 -> 2016 (interlude1) [in which a PC is responsible for enabling the destruction of the world by Yog-Sothoth]
      2016 -> 460/466 (time bubble/loop, prelude2)
      466-467 (main stream2)
      1073-2 (interlude2, techno-gothic mecha-vampire Arthurian theater) [in which a PC engenders the birth of a major antagonist in main stream1/interlude1, who is inserted backwards into the flow of main stream2]
      1073-2 -> 467
      467-474 (main stream2)
      474 -> ~7000 BC-ish (interlude3, including Carcosa) [in which a PC facilitates entry within the timestream of the major antagonist, encounters pre-Tuatha-de-Dannan peoples and major plot NPCs]
      7000BC -> 474
      474- (main stream2)

And etc. there are several less-detailed interludes that I haven't bothered to plot out yet fully. Bolded items were completed in play.

General thread is "stamping down the end of the world" and "causing yourself a lot of pain."

Depending on your perspective, the PCs might in fact sit on both sides of the Time Agon.

Obviously this doesn't much connect with Trinity, except that I'm still eyeing my Aberrant book on the shelf and waiting for the opportunity to go full super-heroes on 'em!

--Khanwulf
      I hope you get a grand festival of going full superhero on them. Mind you meeting the Tuatha in ancient times sounds very Jack Kirby to me. Bringing the Tautha forward to the present to fight off Yog-sothoth would be a supers game.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post

I hope you get a grand festival of going full superhero on them. Mind you meeting the Tuatha in ancient times sounds very Jack Kirby to me. Bringing the Tautha forward to the present to fight off Yog-sothoth would be a supers game.
        That's a good idea. Present PCs' meta-quest is to literally save the soul of their friend and companion, the loss of which--including the bond with the PC in Interlude1, enabled the ritual that brought forth Yog-Sothoth. Making friends in fae places and wrenching the conflict away from the real world is a viable Plan B, as is convincing the antagonist actors that this is all a very bad idea and won't get what they want! (It won't.)

Since the PCs are in Arthurian times I'm sorely tempted to toss in one-shot crossovers with supers ala some of the more obscure Marvel plot arcs. Just because its an opportunity to mess with 'em.

Anyway, the point is that time is a spiral, and in such a of campaign the PCs move in and out linearly across the stream, encountering scenarios in which the situation and/or NPCs seem to know more than they should and have encountered the PCs before. Who is chasing whom? What kind of game is afoot? And if the future is not set, then why do the antagonists not simply snuff the PCs out?

The action--of which there should be plenty to distract--is actually secondary to the puzzle of what is going on. And my technique recommendation is, for the Storyteller, do not answer that question for yourself; you will blinker your own ability to react and inadvertently create something less engaging, more straightforward.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Spiral and Labyrinths are linked ideas. Walking a labyrinth is about moving from A to A in order to actually know A in the first place. Their spiral path needs to show them who they are/were/could be. Or am I getting to artsy here?

Comment

What do people think of the idea that your metaphor for the nature of time both empowers and limits your time travel abilities?

Example: If time is a river, then it takes more energy to go against the current than with it. Thus travel to the most likely future would be easy. Whereas travel to odd corners of the past would be exhausting.

If time is an endless series of branching corridors, getting lost is a serious risk.

Change your metaphore change your strengths and weaknesses. However, the more powerful and or experienced a time traveller you are, the more your metaphor is part of you.

Comment

The ins and outs of the timewar would leave for lots of eddies and currents. Some of the backwaters might be dangerous because their inhabitants fear being left high and dry. Attackers from fading or otherwise endangered realities could have strange powers or combinations of powers. Interesting threats and challenges.

Comment

Is there anything in the published materials so far that would support or thwart a time travel game?

Comment

Time Travel was a power in the Aberrant players guide in 1st ed. That counts as support right?

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Not really; 2e isn't 1e, and the Time Travel Quantum Power is not guaranteed to make a return.

Comment

True, but we don't have Aberrant 2e and the far future setting (1000+ after ├ćon) is the most likely place to find time travel, either Quantum or paramorph based. Since the later is way off and it is unlikely to show up in the former (noted by being from a supplement), it is likely to be as close to an official word for quite some time.

We might see the Crosstime Travel power make a return though, as it plays into the powers of Talents and the description of the Continuum.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

And even if neither Time Travel nor Crosstime Travel make an official appearance there's still the old Aberrant/Trinity games. Hopefully there will be a "conversion manual" to allow people to play out there favorite modules from old Trinity/Aberrant under the new rules. So you could get at those powers that way. Or just look at how various Abberant powers are modeled under the new system and figure out a conversion yourself. If you know how "Quantum Bolt" works (in terms of range, area, duration, effect, etc.) in the old and new systems and you know what "Crosstime Travel" looked like in the old system, you should be able to model it for the new system.

Comment

Working...
                        X