Trinity:Argosy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinity:Argosy

Basically this would be a one off, an alternate history branching off the main setting. Basically the Earth is dying. Groups of Stalwarts, Mesmerists, Daredevils, and plain old human geniuses, build a vast ship to carry humanity to another star system. This is partially inspired by The Starlost and other stories of distressed generation starships.

The ship is Thousands of kilometers long and hundreds wide and tall. It looks like a dew covered spider wed twisted around a slender reed from a great distance. The dew drops are vast spherical domes with two habitats back to back. the floor of each habitat is a disc a hundred kilometers in radius. That's roughly half again as large as Wales.

The PCs are Inspired (Mesmerists, Stalwarts, and Daredevils generate using Adventure!) trying to find out what happened to the ship and how to get humanity back on track.

I assume Telepathy, or at least Mindspeech, is a learnable skill. You'd need a bunch of new knacks and the Inspired would need more points in generation.

The ship (The Far Argosy) is vast and has among it's corridors and spherelands far more surface area than the Earth. The mysteries have vast areas to hide in.

Because of violence at the time of the shipbuilding, psionic straightjackets were developed. These were used by the crew to keep the populations in the spheres from destroying the ship or each other. What good is any ark if war turns it into a hearse?

These psionic straightjackets basically prevented the sphere populations from realising there was an outside or engaging in warfare. They often had other effects as well to limit technological growth or habitat destruction. In addition many promoted certain delusions that benefited the local cultures in different ways.

Inspired individuals( Mesmerists, Stalwarts, and Daredevils) are immune to these influences. But only after they become inspired.

Comment

To create PCs for this setting use the Adventure! rules with these changes...

1) primary attributes get seven dots, secondary get five, and tertiary get three.

2) will starts at five dots.

3) PCs get twenty transformation points.

This setting is dangerous and PCs lack support systems if they travel away from their homebases. The extra dots allow for harder conditions.

Most backgrounds work only in or around your homebase. As the sphere habitats are isolated even from the habitat they share a sphere with, backgrounds lose relevance once you leave their context.

As their is little trade between habitats, resources have meaning only in your homebase. Portable wealth is nearly unheard of.

Comment

You guys are invited to comment. Come up with cultures for the habitat spheres. Propose threats and conflicts. Ect ect...

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
          Most backgrounds work only in or around your homebase. As the sphere habitats are isolated even from the habitat they share a sphere with, backgrounds lose relevance once you leave their context.
          While I get the logic and reasoning behind this rule, if my 30+ year knowledge of player habits tells me anything, it's that this rule right here is encouraging players to either 1) Never leave their home base, or 2) Never invest in backgrounds that you can't take with you.

I feel like there should be an Archer meme for this "Do you want Murder Hobos? Because that is how you get Murder Hobos."

Comment

There's still advantages to being rich and conected at home. Still, I get your point. Perhaps setting up trade networks would be a worthy goal for PCs.

However, the only way around limited backgrounds would be institutions that extended beyond the habitats. The Church in the middle ages was everywhere in Christendom. Institutions that are active in large areas of the ship would beg the question, is the ship really in trouble or just wasting time.

Comment

I'm not telling you that you can't, or shouldn't do this. I'm just letting you know some potential pitfalls so that you can plan a few work arounds.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSarcasticSage View Post
                I'm not telling you that you can't, or shouldn't do this. I'm just letting you know some potential pitfalls so that you can plan a few work arounds.
                I got that. I was doing some thinking out loud.

Comment

Perhaps the players belong to a group of "Inspired" individuals that while small in # (Hence why they need the PC's) can never the less help them leverage their home base backgrounds in the new areas, for a favor or two of course... just a thought.

Comment

It makes good sense. And given the size and complexity of the ship. Different set ups could exist in different areas.

Comment

Oh interestings! How big is the population all together? Is there a sort of Meta-population that exists outside of these Biomes? Are most of the Biomes assumed to believe they populate a tiny world (You mention they don't know they are even on a ship). How easy is it to travel between the biomes, do they need a secret/key?

Was it a true mystery the origin of this ship, whether it was humanity or something else that built it considering it is so massive?

Depending on these answers I have some ideas. Like different Biomes having different levels of advancement and populations.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Between the domes and the regular corridors and rooms on the ship there is more surface area than Earth. So the population could be fairly large and not noticeable in many areas. And were much of the Earth's surface is covered in oceans, ice sheets, and arid wastes, a far higher proportion of the ship is habitable as a practical matter.

So given the vast amounts of room and space, and the nature of the subgenres involved, yes the domes can have wildly divergent cultures.

Add to that the mental straightjackets, created out of desperation to prevent violence, and the cultures on the ship can be truely exotic.
                        Last edited by Astromancer; 03-24-2018, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Okay then, I would like a Clan of the Cavebear style Stone Dome or even Dome Cluster, where maybe one dome has an alternate evolution path (maybe Neanderthal heavy ancestors with a trickle of modern human in), and another has an even more exotic one (think amphibous human tribes). One Dome that is a bit larger then Normal and is a mythical China style Zhongguo/Middle Kingdom. A steampunk Europe style Dome not too far from a Cyberpunk Americas style dome. And an Amish Dome... with dinosaurs.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                            Okay then, I would like a Clan of the Cavebear style Stone Dome or even Dome Cluster, where maybe one dome has an alternate evolution path (maybe Neanderthal heavy ancestors with a trickle of modern human in), and another has an even more exotic one (think amphibous human tribes). One Dome that is a bit larger then Normal and is a mythical China style Zhongguo/Middle Kingdom. A steampunk Europe style Dome not too far from a Cyberpunk Americas style dome. And an Amish Dome... with dinosaurs.
                            All cool ideas. And there's plenty of room for other wonders too.

Comment

To promote more interest in this thread, might I tell you guys the three authors who inspired the idea for this take on Adventure! First up is Clark Ashton Smith a contemporary of Lovecraft and a friend of his. More than any other author he gives the best mood for a game of Adventure! For any aspect of the Trinity universe Olaf Stapledon is vital. His ideas are big even when he sets the story in a small London church. My third inspiration is Cordwaiter Smith. How you could play any Trinity game without having read him first is beyond me.
                              Last edited by Astromancer; 07-05-2018, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X