Homebrew Psiads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrew Psiads

So now that we have the rules for Psions, I know at least one of my players is going to want to play a Psiad. So this thread is a place for me to put down some ideas until the official rules come out.

Idea #1) Psiads are as close to 1e as I can get. They get 2 "favored" Aptitudes based on pairings. (Bio/Vita, Clair/Tele, or EK/PK, TP can't ever be chosen as favored. QK can't ever be learned at all) All starting points must go to favored Aptitudes. 6xp per dot for Favored Aptitudes, 8xp per dot for non-favored Aptitudes. All Modes max out at 3 dots. Not sure the prerequisites to get to Tier 3 just yet, but when they do, the Modes of their favored Aptitudes can go to 4.

#2) As #1, but you can choose TP/QK as your favored pair, but you must start with PSI 3 to do so, and any Psiad can learn QK.

#3) As #1 or #2, but you can freely choose your 2 favored Aptitudes.

#4) As any of the above, but when you go to Tier 3, all Modes can be raised to 4, not just those of your favored Aptitudes.

When looking at the bonuses for combining psionic aptitudes, I'm leaning towards having them count as both of their favored aptitudes for all allies they link with, but I could use some feedback here too.

I'm also wondering what sorts of things you feel might be appropriate to have as prerequisites to attaining Tier 3. (Besides PSI 6, that one is a given)

I am hoping to capture the feel of the "generalist" Psiad to the "focused" Psions.

I would appreciate your thoughts on which one of my ideas you would enjoy having in your game if you SG, or prefer playing as a character, if any, and why.

I like the option to freely choose your two Favored Modes... Telepath / Telekinetics have always been my cup of tea : )

For Tier 3 I would say:
    1) Psi 6
    2) A 4 in one of each of your Favored Mode's aptitudes.
    3) A 3 in an Aux Mode Aptitude

As far as combining for effect I would be tempted to say he can choose between serving as a factor for either of his Favored Modes (choose at the time), or paying 2 psi per use to sub in as a type of Psion in any power you have at least a dot in. Just to play up the Jack of all trades aspect.

Comment

Limited to what I can contribute, as psiad rules are a stretch goal and I hope we get there.

I’d suggest #1 at the moment - though the 1e and 2e rules are an imperfect mesh, you’ve got a 1e framework to draw upon, and answer questions when they arise.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it. WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
        Limited to what I can contribute, as psiad rules are a stretch goal and I hope we get there.

I’d suggest #1 at the moment - though the 1e and 2e rules are an imperfect mesh, you’ve got a 1e framework to draw upon, and answer questions when they arise.
        The issue I have with #1 is that we know for a fact that in 2e Aeon, some people, heck some Psions, have/had latent Aptitude for TP/QK, and if such a person were to become a Psiad, then that would only make sense for that to be/be one of, their Favored Aptitudes. And I strongly feel that the reason the the rules in the Aberrant Players handbook disallowed QK is because the damn thing was never printed in 1e. You can come up with any excuse you'd like, but at the end of the day, it's pretty hard to favor something that never hit print.

Comment

Originally posted by yrtalien View Post
          I like the option to freely choose your two Favored Modes... Telepath / Telekinetics have always been my cup of tea : )
          I can respect that. My personal favorite pairing is QK/PK.

For Tier 3 I would say:
          1) Psi 6
          2) A 4 in one of each of your Favored Mode's aptitudes.
          3) A 3 in an Aux Mode Aptitude
          According to all of my options, Mode 4 is impossible until after Tier 3, therefore it can not be a requirement to get there, but if it were to be lowered to 3 in one Mode per favored Aptitude, and 3 in a Mode of one of your secondary aptitudes... that could work...

As far as combining for effect I would be tempted to say he can choose between serving as a factor for either of his Favored Modes (choose at the time), or paying 2 psi per use to sub in as a type of Psion in any power you have at least a dot in. Just to play up the Jack of all trades aspect.
          I think that they should still be limited to favored, but I like the idea of choosing between their favored options, perhaps with the option to switch which one they are representing for 1 additional psi... thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by TheSarcasticSage View Post

The issue I have with #1 is that we know for a fact that in 2e Aeon, some people, heck some Psions, have/had latent Aptitude for TP/QK, and if such a person were to become a Psiad, then that would only make sense for that to be/be one of, their Favored Aptitudes. And I strongly feel that the reason the the rules in the Aberrant Players handbook disallowed QK is because the damn thing was never printed in 1e. You can come up with any excuse you'd like, but at the end of the day, it's pretty hard to favor something that never hit print.
            I disagree with your logic, because latents are not psiads and never will be. Psiads are not latents, and never will be. You can do what you want at your table, of course, but there’s no evolutionary need for psiads to ever ‘hold out’ to Psi 3 just to have a TK/QK combination, or something with those. As far as nature is concerned, psiads have time to develop the simpler Aptitudes, and will one day grow into the more complex, higher power Aptitudes.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it. WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

I disagree with your logic, because latents are not psiads
              Here is where you are correct.

and never will be.
              And here is where you are wrong. All Psiads were once Latents, by definition they must be. There is no Psiad gene that is somehow different then the gene that allows one to potentially become a Psion. They are one and the same. Now, just because one is a latent does not mean that one will become a Psiad, any more then it means that you will become a Psion. Something else needs to happen to trigger you. The 1e Aberrant Players Handbook goes into this a bit.

Psiads are not latents, and never will be.
              You have the wrong order of operations. Psiads are no longer Latents, but by definition, before they manifested, they must have been, else they could not have become PSI active, which they are, and were.

You can do what you want at your table, of course, but there’s no evolutionary need for psiads to ever ‘hold out’ to Psi 3 just to have a TK/QK combination, or something with those. As far as nature is concerned, psiads have time to develop the simpler Aptitudes, and will one day grow into the more complex, higher power Aptitudes.
              There is no holding out involved with Psiads any more then there is with Psions requiring strong latency and PSI 3 for Aptitude or Aux access to QK/TP. It's simply parity for game balance sake.

Comment

And here is where you are wrong. All Psiads were once Latents, by definition they must be. There is no Psiad gene that is somehow different then the gene that allows one to potentially become a Psion. They are one and the same. Now, just because one is a latent does not mean that one will become a Psiad, any more then it means that you will become a Psion. Something else needs to happen to trigger you. The 1e Aberrant Players Handbook goes into this a bit.

You have the wrong order of operations. Psiads are no longer Latents, but by definition, before they manifested, they must have been, else they could not have become PSI active, which they are, and were.

There is no holding out involved with Psiads any more then there is with Psions requiring strong latency and PSI 3 for Aptitude or Aux access to QK/TP. It's simply parity for game balance sake.
                You do know that you are disagreeing with one of the authors of Æon 2nd edition, right? In the event we do get psiad rules for Æon, his opinion on the matter is far more likely to be taken into account, assuming Bunyip is not the one writing those rules. I imagine that he is not wrong; it is far more likely psiads arise from latent parents and could not be 'activated' by a Prometheus chamber.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                  You do know that you are disagreeing with one of the authors of Æon 2nd edition, right? In the event we do get psiad rules for Æon, his opinion on the matter is far more likely to be taken into account, assuming Bunyip is not the one writing those rules. I imagine that he is not wrong; it is far more likely psiads arise from latent parents and could not be 'activated' by a Prometheus chamber.
                  He is still human, and has been wrong before. What he chooses to write in the future is on him, but as of right now, Psiads only exist in 1e, and going by everything in 1e I am right, and I can give page #'s to prove it. And besides, that just means that changing his mind now, while the rules are unwritten is far more important then convincing him after they are in print.

Comment

< Snipping from here mostly for comedy’s sake >

We’ll agree to disagree, and that’s fine. I heartily endorse what works for your table. Once day soon (Setting Secrets chapter) we’ll be able to dig into why I’m arguing as I am.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                      You do know that you are disagreeing with one of the authors of Æon 2nd edition, right?
                      Hey FallenEco, I appreciate the sentiment, but I’m as open to debate and change as anyone. I have my opinions, but until words are put on a page, nothing is set in stone. Besides, regardless of what my opinion is, the developer (John) might disagree, and I’ll write to the brief, since I like getting paid

In other words, let’s enjoy the debate and see where it takes us.

That said, sadly I’ll probably have to stop about here, as I do want to write the rules one day. That doesn’t mean you all should stop - I’ll be reading along, and may chip in for clarity if asked or needed.

Comment

< Snipping from here mostly for comedy’s sake >

We’ll agree to disagree, and that’s fine. I heartily endorse what works for your table. Once day soon (Setting Secrets chapter) we’ll be able to dig into why I’m arguing as I am.
                        Fair enough. I only have the First Edition Aberrant Players Guide to work with, and to call those rules lacking, and incomplete is being generous.

Comment

I would choose options 3 and 4, mostly because I see flexibility and open options to be a very very very good thing. So if a person wants to combine TP and VK then they should be able to.

To be honest when I read th Psiad idea / rules my mind came up with more ideas then the limited nature of the one aptitude only Psion. (Which I only don't super dislike as there is actually a setting was in for the restriction,so it's entertaining).

I also think it would be cool for Psions to be able break down the artificial genetic barrier and become a Psiad, getting access to more Aptitudes.

Comment

After scaning the first post, #4) appeals to me. Psiads need some way to blend with psions so that a new type with psion power and psiad flexibility could rise. Psicog, psi plus cognition slash awareness.

Comment

I disagree with your logic, because latents are not psiads and never will be. Psiads are not latents, and never will be. You can do what you want at your table, of course, but there’s no evolutionary need for psiads to ever ‘hold out’ to Psi 3 just to have a TK/QK combination, or something with those. As far as nature is concerned, psiads have time to develop the simpler Aptitudes, and will one day grow into the more complex, higher power Aptitudes.
                              Okay, so, I'm not going to say "you're wrong" because that's stupid and it's literally you writing this game.

What I am going to say is "Please explain, because the word latent has a specific meaning and a psiad that hasn't awakened to his powers yet would absolutely conform to that meaning."

Or, What?

Comment

Working...
                              X