Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Æon Abberants still comparable to Novas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Æon Abberants still comparable to Novas?

So still new to the setting but the forums always gave me the impression that Aberrants were not comparable to the Novas in personal Puissance. They emphasized they were inhuman mutants, seemed to be the implication of superevolved humans breeding with each other becoming less human and maybe each generation/individual its own separate species. But that they were superhuman, but not gonzo level, and had insane tech because they didn't have the universal censoring of Reed Richards level tech Earth had.

But is it true? What are examples of Aberrant powerlevels? Did Novas always produce Nova Children, even with humans? And do they have any estimate at all of Aberrant populations?

It is a time for great deeds!

In the Aeon time period there are two types of entities called Aberrants, those that would be called Novas, and creatures mutated by more alien Novas to serve them(kind of like Ghouls in vampire!). From a mechanical standpoint the term is also used for Tier 4 Novas.

Subaberrant mutants are obviously less powerful than Novas. Novas of a similar Quantum level will be roughly the same power level as more mutated versions but since taint had previously allowed one to buy powers cheaper the more taint you have the more you can cheat that scenario. Tier 4 characters are obviously more powerful than Tier 3, they have easier dice rolls higher caps on stat and insane powers.

Nova Fertility is... unknown, in previous editions there was an elaborate conspiracy to sterilize them but they also seemed to be naturally of lower fertility. Generally Nova/baseline breeding would lead to a baseline but.. there were ways to make baselines unnaturally errupt in previous editions too so its complicated and since we don't have Aberrant yet for 2e we really don't know.

Comment

I see. What do you mean by unnaturally errupt?

So the populations of the space Aberrants like in Eden would mostly be derived from human stock what kidnapped when they left earth? Are mutated human style novas at least able to birth or is it assumed they breed them and novify them later, ala Inhumans?

Comment

The Humans of Eden likely were not kidnapped by the Novas that originally settled the planet, but were likely the friends, family and colleagues that voluntarily joined this group when they left Earth at the end of the Aberrant War. The Novas that protect them do not show any signs of the quantum corruption that pushed many Novas to become inhuman Aberrants (at least not that we have yet seen).

As for the other Aberrants that have been encountered, the ones that are actively attacking Earth installations... these mutants are very high with the quantum corruption that have made them very inhuman... possibly beyond the ability to procreate in any understandable fashion we would recognize. When these Aberrants use their corrupted powers, they leave the area saturated (to various degrees) with corrupted quantum energy that can turn baseline humans into sub-Aberrant mutants. These mutants, with enough exposure to the corrupted quantum energy that transformed them could become full Aberrants with corrupted quantum powers. This may not be procreation as we would understand it, but it does allow the Aberrants to increase their numbers dramatically over time (the greater the corruption they cause, the quicker the transformation). At least this is the way it appears to be with the new setting, but I will admit that we don't have all the information to confirm this just yet (but it does seem likely in my "non-expert" opinion)

As for unnaturally erupting... the powers of Novas and Aberrants (and the Stalwarts that proceeded them) are the rarest of the three types (Talents and Psiads) to develop naturally (as in without any outside influence other that the possible ). There were methods to cause others to gain these same powers through artificial means rather than let them develop naturally. Even the process that Aeon Aberrants seem to be using to create more of their can by turning humans into sub-Aberrant mutants is an artificial means of bringing out such powers.

Speaking of artificial means... it could be said that the Psions of the Aeon setting are receiving their powers through artificial means too... as Psiads are the ones that develop their powers naturally, while the Prometheus Chambers artificially enhance a Latent's psychic potential... even overwriting it in favor of a specific aptitude. Doesn't exactly sound "natural" now, does it? Makes you wonder if the Orders really are that different from the Aberrants they are fighting, does it not? Okay, maybe they do give you a choice to remain Latent or become a Psion... but is it really a choice if one's options are rather limited if one doesn't take the opportunity?

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
        I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Comment

When the Antagonists chapter gets previewed, you'll have mechanics and stats and such for a variety of levels of aberrants, from hordes of mutants (normal people or animals who were changed into footsoldiers by a true aberrant or Corrupted Zone) all the way up to major threats that will require a team armed with psi powers and fancy tech to defeat. You can use those rules to fake an Edenite nova, too, until _Aberrant_ is written and we have a better approximation.

The Edenites from the new edition are presented as somewhat less overwhelmingly powerful than the ones from 1st edition, deliberately.

Comment

But the Edenites are full on Novas, with all the natural traits and powers of Novas and should be at that level.

I hope this is simply a Trinity treatment rather than a statement that Novas have lost some of there power levels.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
              But the Edenites are full on Novas, with all the natural traits and powers of Novas and should be at that level.

I hope this is simply a Trinity treatment rather than a statement that Novas have lost some of there power levels.

I have absolutely no idea what PC novas will look like...that game hasn't been written yet.

What I can say is that moving the Karroo Incident away from "Apollo Milliken waves his hand and vaporizes an entire alien fleet" and toward "it was a real fight, with Edenites and Karroo colonists and Upeo psions all working together" was a directive that came from over my pay grade, and one that I happily agreed with.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post

First ed Edenites were ludicrously powerful, even for Novas, weren't they? When a single one is blowing up a "massive" fleet of spaceships, they're well beyond anything we actually saw canon Aberrant-era Novas do. It's the higher end of even the Player's Guide material, IIRC. Not quite Quantum Inferno, but way beyond anything even Quantum 6 could do.

Eden doesn't appear to be the home of Quantum 8 Novas, because at that point, they're capable doing things like redesigning a planet to fit their will with complete mastery over climate, geology and life itself, granting mental and social Mega-Attributes to entire populations, turning baselines into Novas (And boosting the powers of other Novas) and travelling through time. Frankly, anything less than utter post-scarcity paradise, populated by post-humans with super intelligence and charisma, free of the little things like ageing and illness, is an utter failure of the ruling class. And that's not Eden as it's presented. It's just a pretty nice place.

Comment

Nod. Nod. Okay all, very good points. Thanks for providing them.

Comment

Besides, it's always easier to start off with someone weaker and go "oh they just weren't as powerful as our PCs, and haven't grown into their power yet" if we've changed our mind by the time we get to the nova rules that are supposed to govern them. It's much harder to give them god-like power now and then change our minds later.

The new presentation of Edenites works better for Aeon and it works better for Aberrant.

Ian A. A. Watson
                    Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                      I see. What do you mean by unnaturally errupt?
                      Higher levels of certain powers would allow even people without MR nodes to Errupt.

So the populations of the space Aberrants like in Eden would mostly be derived from human stock what kidnapped when they left earth? Are mutated human style novas at least able to birth or is it assumed they breed them and novify them later, ala Inhumans?
                      Some baselines went with the Novas voluntarily most of the preAeon colonies were built by such. There are second and third generation Novas and possibly Aberrants at least in 1e though apparently they were less fertile than normal people generally but we don't know if that was transfered

Comment

Sounds more and more like The Eternals.

Comment

Do we know the status in the kids if Psions? I know they are new but they must be researching the next gen.

If psions were made in Prometheus Chambers why were only the first made into Proxies?

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                            Do we know the status in the kids if Psions? I know they are new but they must be researching the next gen.
                            There are genetic markers for Latents so that's all we really know.

If psions were made in Prometheus Chambers why were only the first made into Proxies?
                            They started with more xp than everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

They started with more xp than everyone else.
                              Plus I would not be surprised if the Setting Secrets chapter mentions why they started with more xp.

Comment

Working...
                              X