Speculation on Nihonjin Superiors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speculation on Nihonjin Superiors

We now have a Stretch Goal at $166,000 for a section on the Nihonjin Superiors... which is being portrayed as a powerful new type of enhanced human. Though we currently have little in way of specifics on this, I think it might be fun to speculate on how these Superiors will be. Of course anything we come up with will be mere speculation and the actual final form they take may be nothing like we imagine... but why let that stop us from imagining things.

We know that both Normal humans and Talents can be Nihonjin Agents, but whether that means anything in regards to the Superiors remains to be seen. Since they actually say that Superiors will be a powerful enhanced human... it may be that this is where we might see Tier 3 Talents, yes? Even if that is unlikely, we will likely see even more advanced hardtech augmentations than Agents receive.

I am not familiar with any 1st Ed write-ups on these Superiors... so any enlightenment in that regard would be appreciated... provided there is anything written on them in 1st Ed.

This is mostly for trying to guess what shape the Superiors will take in 2nd Ed Aeon... and to brainstorm ideas we might all use for homebrews should the Kickstarter not reach this Stretch Goal.

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

It wss revealed in a "oh by the way" manner that Superiors are Stalwarts.

Which is interesting, and very awesome, because in 1e they were sort of hinted as being Daredevils. Which doesn't do much in 2nd because Talents already are present.

Which means in the near future the world has Stalwarts, Talents, and Mesmerists in the form of Psions (and probably a few hidden Psiads).

This is super super nifty.

Comment

I don't think Superiors are Tier 3 anything, I mean Aeon is generally meant to be run at Tier 2 with some Tier 3 options at top end. As for what they are, well in 1e they were a bit upgraded Dardevils, so if we go with that I think Superiors are to Talents as Psions are to Psiads. Same Tier but with some differences of direction.

I don't think its been out and out said Superiors are Stalwarts, though there is some implication for that as well, though I'm not sure we'd get protoNovas as an add on before Nova rules are out there. So I'm going to stick with my idea that Superiors are to Talents as Psions are to Psiads, More focused more controlled potentailly giving up versatility for heights of power.

Comment

John's now confirmed that Superiors are a specific type of Stalwart.

Comment

Originally posted by Topher Gerkey View Post
          John's now confirmed that Superiors are a specific type of Stalwart.

Oh well then.

Comment

I have to admit... I didn't see that they would be Stalwarts coming. It will be interesting to see how the Stalwarts will be modified for this setting... and how they will be different from what we will see in Adventure! and from the Novas/Aberrants that also use a similar power source (for lack of better terminology for the Quantum Flux/Energy that they derive their powers from).

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
            I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Comment

Most of us who are familiar with 1e probably saw it coming. The Nova gene, and the PSI gene, are the same thing, the only way to "turn it off" to PSI as the Nippon do, is to "turn it on" to Quantum, and vice versa. They are basically doing what the Prometheus Chambers do, but in reverse. Latent goes in, Stalwart comes out.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Asia Ascendant said the Psi gene and the TALENT gene were the same and that they could also do controlled permently capped Novas as a separate thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                  I'm pretty sure Asia Ascendant said the Psi gene and the TALENT gene were the same and that they could also do controlled permently capped Novas as a separate thing.
                  I'd have to double check, but that's not my memory of it. The whole reason the Doyen gave humanity the Prometheus Tanks was to prevent potential Novas from erupting, by turning them into Psions, thus ensuring that Earth would stop generating Quantum, IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSarcasticSage View Post
                    the only way to "turn it off" to PSI as the Nippon do, is to "turn it on" to Quantum, and vice versa.
                    Not quite. It’s possible to ‘kill’ the switch entirely.

Originally posted by Tarion View Post
                    The whole reason the Doyen gave humanity the Prometheus Tanks was to prevent potential Novas from erupting, by turning them into Psions, thus ensuring that Earth would stop generating Quantum, IIRC.
                    Not the whole reason, but certainly a major motivating factor.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it.
                    WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams | CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon, Mummy: The Curse 2nd ed | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
                      Not quite. It’s possible to ‘kill’ the switch entirely.
                      Fair enough, new editions and all that.

Comment

I seem to remember superiors being benign nova that helped Nippon retain its hardtech technological edge. Might have been in one of the unreleased books though. They had no nova powers and only minor super attributes (1 iirc) .

Comment

In Asia Ascendant, Superiors were said to be upgraded Daredevils. I never liked that argument, as the rules for Superiors never felt like upgraded Daredevils. But I can get behind them being Stalwarts. It's also worth noting that Asia Ascendant was set after the Venezuela Event, where there was a resurgence of Inspired character types around the globe. Without said event, having Superiors be artificially triggered Stalwarts (e.g., MCU's Captain America) works quite well.

Ironically, if I were asked to put together quick and dirty rules for TC Superiors, I probably would handle them as a specialized upgrade of Talents: I'd rename Inspiration to reflect the Quantum-based source of a Superior's abilities, keep the Facets, and drop Dramatic Editing; I'd treat them as one tier higher than Talents; and I'd restrict their Gifts to Attribute-based Aptitude Gifts.

If I had space to do so, I'd instead go about converting Adventure!'s Dynamic Knacks into Superior-only “Gifts”, possibly with variable costs to reflect the three-tier nature of the original Dynamic Knacks.
                          Last edited by Dataweaver; 02-27-2018, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeydjie View Post
                            I seem to remember superiors being benign nova that helped Nippon retain its hardtech technological edge. Might have been in one of the unreleased books though. They had no nova powers and only minor super attributes (1 iirc) .

Nippon had low-Taint novas, but those weren't the same as the Superiors. The original book in which they appeared (the unreleased, aforementioned Asia Ascendant) implied that they were some sort of artificial Daredevil 'made out of' people who carried the gene to erupt as a nova, partially as a way of cutting off any further eruptions. But Nippon's novas were just low-power, uncorrupted novas who developed technology for the country and (IIRC) quietly defended the Earth during the quiet years between the war and the Colony's return. But the Superiors were something else.

(Incidentally, I also really like that they're basically Stalwarts now, it fits so much better in a lot of ways.)

Christopher Shaffer, freelancer.
                            WoD: W20 Rage Across the World, W20 Umbra
                            CofD: Night Horrors: The Unbidden, Night Horrors: The Tormented, "Legacy" in the WtF Anthology
                            Trinity Continuum: Aeon

Comment

Hum...when I read about the stretch goal, and as someone who has zero knowledge about the previous edition, I assumed that ninhonjin superiors would be Japan's alternative to psions: Human beings enhanced with technology to the point they become equal in power to the psions, or even more. To see an example check out the game Deus ex human revolution and mankind divided to see what I'm talking about. It's ok if it's another thing but I would also like the option to play cool cyborgs or genetically enhanced humans.

Comment

Working...
                              X